Hammersmith 2001 Video

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

sunray
Known user

Hammersmith 2001 Video

Post by sunray »

As far as i know this is the only footage from the Let It Come Down tour. I can't recall seeing anything before.

Not quite the full gig, or the best quality, but still worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poAYdrwRzkc

Filmed by Patrick Farr, who also provided the soundchecks from the Neil Young and Radiohead tours.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Hammersmith 2001 Video

Post by angelsighs »

Wasn't Patrick Farr actually the lighting engineer? When the band had that superb light show.

So many great vids popping up just now. How do you find them all Joycey, have you got alerts set up or something?

There's plenty of video of the latter LICD shows (especially festivals etc) but I think you're right that this is the only one of the full ensemble. I am really intrigued by those dates. Before it got stripped back for artistic (*cough* financial) reasons.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:42 pm Wasn't Patrick Farr actually the lighting engineer? When the band had that superb light show.

So many great vids popping up just now. How do you find them all Joycey, have you got alerts set up or something?

There's plenty of video of the latter LICD shows (especially festivals etc) but I think you're right that this is the only one of the full ensemble. I am really intrigued by those dates. Before it got stripped back for artistic (*cough* financial) reasons.
You're correct, Farr was handling the lights for them for a few years.

No alerts set up just a lot of time on my hands! :lol: If i find one source i tend to see what else they have and then check back on a daily basis. For the time being anyway.

Is there later period LICD footage available? All i can think of is Amazing Grace era video.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Well there's no better time to watch this stuff than on lockdown right?

LICD shows these are the ones that sprang to mind.

There's this Brixton Academy show which I recall being streamed live at the time. Epic setlist, a pretty self indulgent show in the best possible way haha

https://youtu.be/4vmvsHgIxz0

Then there's live at Hultsfred Festival which I've got on a bootleg DVD weirdly from before the days of YouTube. Pretty standard LICD setlist but great quality.
https://youtu.be/ao4_FpLs8tk

I also thought that the Glastonbury 2002 set surfaced but now I can only find On Fire
https://youtu.be/Mdt5Pd_gylU
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ah yeah, never thought of those shows as LICD era even though they obviously are!

I was on an increasing downer towards Spiritualized in the noughties so i've always lumped the pre 2008 gigs into the Amazing Grace period.

I'm not sure there ever was a full Glastonbury 2002 set available either on video or audio. I've never come across it anyways. I was at the gig and was fairly disappointed truth be told.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

There is audio of Glastonbury, I've just checked and it's on my I pod

I can see why you might think that, timeline wise the LICD era moves into the AG era pretty quickly. Plus sonically (and even line up wise?) there's not a huge difference.

I disagree on the quality of that era though, I love the LICD era live. they weren't very trippy sounding, but they were really rocky and bombastic in a good way. During the Amazing Grace tour, even though it wasn't a huge sonic shift it just wasn't as good for me and it wasn't a golden era for them live.
One thing I liked about the latter LICD tour was Tom Edwards playing electric xylophone/vibes which added this nice layer underneath and filled a lot of the gaps where the string section would be.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:18 am There is audio of Glastonbury, I've just checked and it's on my I pod
Would it be possible to share this please John?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:52 pm
angelsighs wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:18 am There is audio of Glastonbury, I've just checked and it's on my I pod
Would it be possible to share this please John?
yep happy to share. however there's a catch- firstly it's in the I Tunes file format (m4a). also I am missing some tracks (I think I had a hard drive issue a little while back).

The setlist is as below and the tracks I have are in bold.

Electricity
Shine a Light
Electric Mainline
All of My Tears
Out of Sight
Walking With Jesus
Take Your Time
Take Me to the Other Side

happy to share if you still want. or I wonder if anyone else on the board can fill the gaps?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Cheers, i'll take what you have but if anyone has the full show and is willing to share that'd be great.

Funny, the only song i remember from that set is TMTTOS. Yet i don't think i even had a can in me let alone anything stronger!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

right I hope this link works, I'm just sharing directly from dropbox
Glastonbury 2002 (incomplete)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pakg53u9fpkp ... 91wXa?dl=0

they also play the 'Desert' bit of Cop Shoot Cop at the end of TMTTOS.. pretty cool
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

also thought I would share some other interesting recordings from 2001

Portsmouth Pyramids 7th Oct 2001.
it's all one file. but the quality is absolutely superb. you could release this as a live album.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j0kqs8kat1oh ... 5kEwa?dl=0

Cop Shoot Cop
Let If Flow
Out of Sight
No God Only Religion
Take Me To The Other Side

XFM Session 2001
Not as good quality unfortunately (whoever recorded it off the radio did it a bit quietly) but good setlist and it's with the expanded ensemble

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o724ww8p0jge ... P2W4a?dl=0

Track 1: On Fire, Walking With Jesus, Come Together
Track 2: Shine a Light, Out Of Sight, Don't Just Do Something, No God Only Religion, Take Me To The Other Side

Also both of these are in m4a format (the Itunes format) but my logic was that as they are not seperated into separate songs, it will be easier for people to convert into their preferred format!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Thanks for the Glastonbury gig 'Sighs :D

I have the other two sets, but i must say that it's a pity the full Portsmouth show never surfaced as it's a fantastic recording. If you don't already have it make sure to grab it now.
kburd72
Known user

Post by kburd72 »

Morning!

I have recordings of both the Portsmouth and Hammersmith gigs. The recording I have of the Portsmouth one is from a broadcast by Steve Lamacq and it also has Born Never Asked on it. Is that the same as yours Angelsighs?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

No my recording doesn't have Born Never Asked on it, no Lamaqc either. maybe there was a bigger proportion of the set broadcast on radio?
kburd72
Known user

Post by kburd72 »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Thanks for this! Will try and download tonight. If the rest of the set is as good as the songs I've heard then it will be a treat
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

kburd72 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 am Morning!

I have recordings of both the Portsmouth and Hammersmith gigs. The recording I have of the Portsmouth one is from a broadcast by Steve Lamacq and it also has Born Never Asked on it. Is that the same as yours Angelsighs?
kburd, fyi; yours has born never asked labelled but it is in fact no god only religion!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:01 am
kburd72 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 am Morning!

kburd, fyi; yours has born never asked labelled but it is in fact no god only religion!
Oh no that's a shame. They did play this regularly on this tour so it seemed probable.
Another one to watch out for is that Take Your Time is often labelled as Take Good Care Of It on bootlegs. Been fooled by that a few times!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I shall have to watch that Hammersmith gig.

Wonder if it captures one of my favourite Spz gig moments, when one of my mates (sitting in a different part of the auditorium) chose a particularly quiet moment between songs to declare rather loudly: "That's it; I'm never taking ecstasy again!"
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

angelsighs wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:46 am

XFM Session 2001
Not as good quality unfortunately (whoever recorded it off the radio did it a bit quietly) but good setlist and it's with the expanded ensemble

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o724ww8p0jge ... P2W4a?dl=0

Track 1: On Fire, Walking With Jesus, Come Together
Track 2: Shine a Light, Out Of Sight, Don't Just Do Something, No God Only Religion, Take Me To The Other Side
Just for the record, this wasn't recorded off the radio. It was lifted from the session itself by a mate of mine who worked for the station at the time. Hence why there are no XFM idents etc. I'm not actually sure all these tracks ever made it to the radio.

I still have the original CD he gave me - in fact I'm playing it at this precise moment!