Verve, Hultsfred Festival, Sweden 1994

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Laz69
Known user

Verve, Hultsfred Festival, Sweden 1994

Post by Laz69 »

While trawling an old hard drive yesterday for photos, i stumbled on this live show from 1994. Radio broadcast by the sounds of it, but the sound captured is incredible. I'm sure there are plenty of you that know the show i'm referring to. The guitars sound right up front in the recording letting you hear some sensational playing by Nick. 13min version of Gravity Grave is brilliant, but the second Nick steps on that wah-wah towards the end and it just screams into life... goosebumps i tell ya!

As much as i love them, i've never really bothered about their live recordings, but this was a very welcomed refresher of how good they were :D

(p.s. Happy to share if any one doesn't have it.)
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Re: Verve, Hultsfred Festival, Sweden 1994

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

this is THE live Verve recording. anyone who thinks they don't like them needs to hear this. shame as a fan you haven't heard much live stuff of theirs as that's where they really shine.

you need to hear the Reading Festival '97 (although incomplete) and Glastonbury '93 both FM broadcasts.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:32 pm this is THE live Verve recording. anyone who thinks they don't like them needs to hear this. shame as a fan you haven't heard much live stuff of theirs as that's where they really shine.

you need to hear the Reading Festival '97 (although incomplete) and Glastonbury '93 both FM broadcasts.
Thanks man. I'll see if i can find them. I was lucky enough to see them live a few times way back then and those were some astonishing shows too. Just hadn't really hunted out live shows like i've done with other bands, although the Glasto 93 version of Gravity Grave (the one on the No Come Down album) is one of the best live songs i've ever heard. That roar of the last few minutes, as they go all out STILL gives me goosebumps when i hear it. Magical moment.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:51 am the Glasto 93 version of Gravity Grave (the one on the No Come Down album) is one of the best live songs i've ever heard. That roar of the last few minutes, as they go all out STILL gives me goosebumps when i hear it. Magical moment.
Was that the 'we can go one more more time...' and then they launch into a truly astonishing noise attack just to show what they would have done if allowed another song? I was at that Glasto performance and it was indeed magnificent.

A small tale on that set. Might have mentioned this before. I was watching Verve do their stuff and in the far distance I happened to notice one of those shit lorries - a tractor with a tank on the back and a huge suck tube - approach the toilets to clean them out. Suddenly I saw everyone near it start to run towards me and I wondered what was going on. They came in droves and as they reached the people in front of them those people too got up and ran towards me - and the stage where Verve were playing. Then the smell hit me and I too ran towards the stage, as did absolutely everyone in my path. Something had gone wrong with the shit lorry and the pipe had detached releasing clouds of toxic vapour, causing a mass evacuation (sorry, poor choice of word) of people and the only direction to run in was towards the stage. Suddenly Verve had a much larger crowd watching them as we were all trapped by the horrific fug!

I often wonder if that lorry helped Verve become more popular as many people found themselves watching a band they didn't know, but not of their own choice!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
runcible wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:06 am
Laz69 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:51 am the Glasto 93 version of Gravity Grave (the one on the No Come Down album) is one of the best live songs i've ever heard. That roar of the last few minutes, as they go all out STILL gives me goosebumps when i hear it. Magical moment.
Was that the 'we can go one more more time...' and then they launch into a truly astonishing noise attack just to show what they would have done if allowed another song? I was at that Glasto performance and it was indeed magnificent.

A small tale on that set. Might have mentioned this before. I was watching Verve do their stuff and in the far distance I happened to notice one of those shit lorries - a tractor with a tank on the back and a huge suck tube - approach the toilets to clean them out. Suddenly I saw everyone near it start to run towards me and I wondered what was going on. They came in droves and as they reached the people in front of them those people too got up and ran towards me - and the stage where Verve were playing. Then the smell hit me and I too ran towards the stage, as did absolutely everyone in my path. Something had gone wrong with the shit lorry and the pipe had detached releasing clouds of toxic vapour, causing a mass evacuation (sorry, poor choice of word) of people and the only direction to run in was towards the stage. Suddenly Verve had a much larger crowd watching them as we were all trapped by the horrific fug!

I often wonder if that lorry helped Verve become more popular as many people found themselves watching a band they didn't know, but not of their own choice!
I think I feel it coming on
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Probably the finest bootleg recording I own. The noise that Mccabe's guitar makes is quite jaw dropping. What a band they became between 92 and 95
I have spoken to Si Jones about this gig (shameless name drop but he has become a friend of sorts now, lovely bloke as well) and his memory of the gig is a little hazy :D
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:51 am
SpEnCeR1 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:32 pm this is THE live Verve recording. anyone who thinks they don't like them needs to hear this. shame as a fan you haven't heard much live stuff of theirs as that's where they really shine.

Thanks man. I'll see if i can find them. I was lucky enough to see them live a few times way back then and those were some astonishing shows too. Just hadn't really hunted out live shows like i've done with other bands, although the Glasto 93 version of Gravity Grave (the one on the No Come Down album) is one of the best live songs i've ever heard. That roar of the last few minutes, as they go all out STILL gives me goosebumps when i hear it. Magical moment.
https://livebootlegconcert.blogspot.com ... d.html?m=1

https://livebootlegconcert.blogspot.com ... l.html?m=1

Just slap GG from no come down at the end of Glasters 93 altho I realise this link is missing Blue as well. Great sounding boot nonetheless
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

http://www.deadbad.com/verve/

There's a few on here sound decent through headphones...the Frankfurt 94 one has black and blue on it, a tune they played for about 2 weeks way back when
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Hmmm, I have a foolish number of live verve gigs, this one was never a favorite. I’ll have to give it another listen.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

SpaceLine wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:16 pm Hmmm, I have a foolish number of live verve gigs, this one was never a favorite. I’ll have to give it another listen.

Which one... Hultsfred?!
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Yeah, it’s a really available recording, even back when I was collecting and not my favorite Verve period for live stuff so I never paid it much attention. 1994 spiritualized recordings are still my holy grail but for verve live gigs I’m more of a northern soul and early UH fan.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

SpaceLine wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:13 pm Yeah, it’s a really available recording, even back when I was collecting and not my favorite Verve period for live stuff so I never paid it much attention. 1994 spiritualized recordings are still my holy grail but for verve live gigs I’m more of a northern soul and early UH fan.
interesting ... I think this is my fave period; the transition from the hazy psychedelic phase into the beginning of the tougher NS edged era. you have to admit Nick really does sound fucking amazing on this recording huh ?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

agree that the Hultsfred show is a special one. not just because the band seem in great form, but because of the sound quality. they sound massive.

I've got a physical copy of the recording on CD- bought from a record fair, in the days before you could just find everything on the internet. people would print them up and make an awful sleeve on photoshop. you'd also have nothing to go on as to whether it was any good, but I got lucky there!

I think Verve are the band I have most live recordings by, after Spiritualized. I even love a lot of the Urban Hymns and Forth era ones. they still had it, and those tunes often sound much better live.

also agree that this 'in between' era is an interesting one, they seem to be evolving so fast. even the Storm in Heaven songs just seem a bit more ballsy. and there were a couple of tunes that got played live at the time, but just got lost in the shuffle.

and the early version of Rolling People is more trippy and less riff based (I call it the 'liquid guitar' version!)
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Laz, could you put up a link to the Hultsfred show? Would love to hear it! Thanks.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 am Greeny! here ye go :

https://100greatestbootlegs.blogspot.co ... weden.html
Nice site - thanks!