Sonic Boom 2021 Tour

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Dreamweapon
Known user

Sonic Boom 2021 Tour

Post by Dreamweapon »

Mar 8 - Nottingham Bodega
Mar 11 - Newcastle Cluny
Mar 12 - Leeds Brudenell
Mar 17 - Bristol Thekla
Mar 18 - Brighton Green Door
Mar 21 - London Dingwalls
spacemanrich
Known user

Re: Sonic Boom 2021 Tour

Post by spacemanrich »

Wow ... we'll see if this is doable. Nothing like a lingering second wave of Covid-19 in the spring. I think everything will be placed on hold until their is a vaccine. Stateside it is still considered the 1st wave and it is raging in CA, AZ, TX and FL. Debunk that idea that the virus doesn't do well in the sun and heat ... :oops:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Glasgow date as well, Stereo on the 10th of March, not sure exactly but his first Scottish date in quite some time :D
https://www.ents24.com/glasgow-events/s ... om/6105730
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:47 pm Glasgow date as well, Stereo on the 10th of March, not sure exactly but his first Scottish date in quite some time :D
His last show in Glasgow was @ Stereo in 2014 if i recall correctly. Really looking forward to this. Announcement cheered me up no end!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Laz69 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:39 am
niamhm wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:47 pm Glasgow date as well, Stereo on the 10th of March, not sure exactly but his first Scottish date in quite some time :D
His last show in Glasgow was @ Stereo in 2014 if i recall correctly. Really looking forward to this. Announcement cheered me up no end!
I don`t remember that one James, he did play Stereo back in the January of 2008 I remember kicking myself at not going to it :cry:
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Also Manchester YES on March 9th
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:32 pm
Laz69 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:39 am
I don`t remember that one James, he did play Stereo back in the January of 2008 I remember kicking myself at not going to it :cry:
Gary, you are totally correct. It was 2008. 2014 did seem a bit recent, and i should have checked :lol: :lol: #fuckinstoners

That actually makes this gig all the more special. 13 years between shows is a LONG time!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Got tickets for Brudenell, fingers crossed :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

spacemanrich wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:25 pm Wow ... we'll see if this is doable. Nothing like a lingering second wave of Covid-19 in the spring. I think everything will be placed on hold until their is a vaccine. Stateside it is still considered the 1st wave and it is raging in CA, AZ, TX and FL. Debunk that idea that the virus doesn't do well in the sun and heat ... :oops:
Yeah this is the first event I’ve heard booked during covid but assuming things are just different outside of the states. I’m in Los Angeles and we are basically on lock down. It’s ok to go to the store and get some ice cream sandwiches and go home. Lots of time to organize records.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

If it ain't the virus it's the bush fires that will get your attention here on the Best Coast. Each morning I'm thinking who is having a barbie at 6am ?! Then realized it's the fires to the North and South of me. Hazy, lazy smoky skies ... :oops:
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

I'm interested in anyone's opinion in tonight's Leeds gig (or indeed tomorrow's in Glasgow, if you are reading this after it has taken place)

I'm pondering going to see him in Newcastle on Tuesday. I've seen him in various incarnations over the years, but always been underwhelmed.

I haven't broken my post-COVID19 gig duck but I'm keen to get out and about.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I was at the Brudenell last night and really enjoyed it.

First gig since January last year and a very good way to get back into the swing of things. A decent but not sold out crowd so it was very comfortable. Pete played All Things Being Equal in full, so no Spacemen 3 or Spectrum material. It's just him doing his stuff so a vast array or wobbly synthy sounds with a trippy light show. The sound in the Brudenell Community Room was absolutely superb - as it always is - and Pete did say he thought it sounded really good. Closing tune I Feel A Change Coming On was pretty immense.

It was a great evening all round. I hadn't seen Pete or Sam for years so excellent to catch up. And a night out with Mr & Mrs BVCP206 which was very welcome. When we were talking to Pete before there was another really friendly chap who I didn't know. He pointed to Mr BVCP206's Soul Kiss shirt & said 'that's me'. Of course it was Richard Formby, a musician I've admired for decades, and that set us off on another chat. Lovely guy.

Cracking night out!
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

runcible wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:08 am I was at the Brudenell last night and really enjoyed it.

First gig since January last year and a very good way to get back into the swing of things. A decent but not sold out crowd so it was very comfortable. Pete played All Things Being Equal in full, so no Spacemen 3 or Spectrum material. It's just him doing his stuff so a vast array or wobbly synthy sounds with a trippy light show. The sound in the Brudenell Community Room was absolutely superb - as it always is - and Pete did say he thought it sounded really good. Closing tune I Feel A Change Coming On was pretty immense.

It was a great evening all round. I hadn't seen Pete or Sam for years so excellent to catch up. And a night out with Mr & Mrs BVCP206 which was very welcome. When we were talking to Pete before there was another really friendly chap who I didn't know. He pointed to Mr BVCP206's Soul Kiss shirt & said 'that's me'. Of course it was Richard Formby, a musician I've admired for decades, and that set us off on another chat. Lovely guy.

Cracking night out!
Thanks for that. Was there much mask-wearing in evidence?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Only really by bar staff, all of whom wore masks.
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

runcible wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:28 pm Only really by bar staff, all of whom wore masks.
Thanks. The potential setlist and the lack of mask wearing has persuaded me not to bother.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Glasgow show was brilliant last night. Album in full, no encore, but it was a great show.

At the end, as he thanked everyone for coming, he said this was the biggest Glasgow audience he's played to since the 80s :lol:
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Nice 45sec clip from the Brudenell gig here: https://twitter.com/velvet1303/status/1 ... 0391181313
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Some clips and pics from Glasgow. Hopefully link works.

https://www.facebook.com/james.mccaig.9 ... 7017966640
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Man, that was a great return to gigging after 22 months since my last. Sonic looked so well and there was a real sense of positivity at the Green Door Store in Brighton last night. Think it was a sell out and, like the other gigs on this tour Sonic played "All Things Being Equal' in its entirety. Great to hook up with Aquarian Time and I came away thinking how much I'd missed live music and how much this all means to me. Great night 8) :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:08 am I was at the Brudenell last night and really enjoyed it.

Cracking night out!
I can only reiterate what Runcible has said above. Was a really good feel to the evening with Pete in excellent form. Was a perfect re-introduction to gigs. The incident with Richard Formby was very funny as neither me or Runcible recognised him :lol: Nice guy.
'Remember, change is not good'
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Really enjoyed the Newcastle gig. Took a while to get going, but the second half of the set (/album) was excellent.

Had a chat with Pete after and he said he'll be doing the same set at Levitation France, but hoping to do Revolution and a few other things on the second night when he's on with Zombie Zombie.