A couple of questions about recent live stuff

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Billy_Whizz
Known user

A couple of questions about recent live stuff

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Firstly, thanks to toomilk for the Solana Beach recording. Impressed by the quality, just listening through it now. I actually prefer the version of Here it Comes (and the 2012 recordings, very similar) to the album version. It's better without the whistling "do do do-do" thing in the chorus for me.

Made me think about a couple of things...

The (what I thought was) bass melody on The Morning After is played on guitar in the live version. Is it actually a guitar line on the album too? I'm not a musician. You know the bit I mean... the "dum dum dum da-da-da-da-da-da-da dum dum DAH dum dum dum" bit.

Also, do the female backing singers ever get a mention? I actually have no idea who they are! And has he used the same singers for the last couple of tours? I haven't managed to see them (the missus did, first ANH live show which she partly live streamed to me and I gave live updates on here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13689) and all the footage I've seen has been crowd filmed stuff where they're hidden at the back in the dark. I'd be interested to know who they are.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
mywhitenoise
Known user

Re: A couple of questions about recent live stuff

Post by mywhitenoise »

Billy_Whizz wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:19 pm Firstly, thanks to toomilk for the Solana Beach recording.
Where can I get this? I recorded the set too, but want to see how it compares.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

mywhitenoise wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:03 pm
Billy_Whizz wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:19 pm Firstly, thanks to toomilk for the Solana Beach recording.
Where can I get this? I recorded the set too, but want to see how it compares.
My apologies! It was your recording I was referring to! For some reason I had it in my head that toomilk uploaded it
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

It was in a thread started by toomilk, that's why. Oops, sorry!
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

There are the names of the 2 singers listed in the credits for the I'm Coming Home Again live video. Not sure if they are the same singers as the live show though.
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Not sure about the UK, but in the US doesn't Jason hire different backing singers in every city because it cuts down the touring costs? Sure I read that a few years ago.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

He had two sets of back up singers one on each coast. That was a few years ago.
Not sure now.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Pat Garrett wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:28 pm Not sure about the UK, but in the US doesn't Jason hire different backing singers in every city because it cuts down the touring costs? Sure I read that a few years ago.
Interesting. Must make rehearsing a nightmare though!
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Pretty sure someone said in another thread that these three singers are the same both night to night and from the ANH tour.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

The plot thickens :lol:
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I haven't seen the band live this year, but from the footage I've seen I don't think it's the same singers as the ANH tour. And actually, I think the singers changed at different stages throughout the ANH tour too. For example, I don't think the singers at the Portugal festival 2019 show (who sound superb on that recording) are the same as those on those American 2018 shows, or even the singers I saw in Glasgow in 2019.

There is one singer who performs under the name Rubee Rose and whose real name I think is Wendi Rose - she is credited as singing on LICD and ANH so
perhaps she has helped Jason arrange or maybe lead some of the choir pieces for his records. I think she has also performed with Nick Cave too. But yeah, I don't think she is in the current lineup as far as I can see. Unless of course she has rejoined for the UK dates. There was another girl who played on the ANH dates who also sings with Stormzy and other acts, so maybe it is all just down to who is available at the time, if they have other commitments etc?

Happy to be corrected though.
discofries
Known user

Post by discofries »

Vancouver wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:13 am Pretty sure someone said in another thread that these three singers are the same both night to night and from the ANH tour.
These 3 women are the same three that toured the US both east and west coasts in 2019 for ANH and this latest west coast tour. Their names are in the credits of the Im coming home again video. Idk if he takes them on tour elsewhere or not.
--
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." - Muhammad Ali
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

By sheer coincidence I have managed to find out who the three singers for the current UK tour are- instagram stories are good for behind-the-scenes stuff when it comes to Spz tours! This appeared just now my stories. Anyway, the singers' names are-

Margeaux Michelle
Lena Wright
Desri Ramus

One of the ladies tagged the other two in one of her stories after the Cambridge gig- zero research needed to find this info. I definitely know the latter two of the listed singers played on the ANH tour, because I followed them and Greg Coulson back in 2018, hence why I saw their post. I thought it would be worth following them to see if there would be any cool stuff in their stories when the gigging started after a long spell away.

As for the stories, I have seen a few soundchecks and touring life stuff. Zero J though - maybe it's a contract clause to keep the camera out of his face :lol: I'd be the exact same. Enough just to give us a little info but the magic is preserved.

Hope this helps and doesn't seem too weird. But like others here, I like being able to credit the musicians on stage as well as get a handle on their take on Spiritualized's music and appreciate all the work that goes into the 2 hour show we get to experience.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Nice work!
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

While we're crediting musicians, a big shout out for James Stelfox whose bass playing at Brighton last night was outstanding. All round great gig - fantastic strobes!