The Caverns

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

thesevensteves
Known user

The Caverns

Post by thesevensteves »

Show last night was pretty surreal even knowing full well what songs would be played and in what order, zero surprises. Though there were some unsteady moments (Come Together and I think Damaged), they caught fire a few times. A Song was an absolute monster and made the 8hrs travel worth it. Set list was varied enough for me as this was my seventh time seeing them but my buddy who traveled with me I think was a little deflated with the focus being on the last two albums...but what do you really expect? It's not a legacy/greatest hits type of show.

I missed Nikki Lane's set and was kind of surprised, given the opportunity, that they didn't play Crazy.

That being said I think the underground cavern environment is what made it special - not sure the same magic would've been there, for me, seeing that same performance in a normal club/theatre. Maybe 2/3rds capacity, not full by any means, but a really receptive audience. I found it a really unique mix of people. Given the remote location you could very well identify people who were there simply because there was a show going on close by and what else are you gonna do? or perhaps were visiting the Caves and it just so happened this was going on during their visit ... I live in a very rural part of Kentucky and have a nose for it :) A group of people near me had real 'what the fuck is happening' looks during the noisier sections of the set. I feel like the other SPZ gigs I've been to over the last 15 years the audience was, in part, there for that exact reason.
cdominey1
New user

Re: The Caverns

Post by cdominey1 »

Hello - I've never posted here before, but I was at this show and had to comment on it, for people who actually care!

As background, I have not seen Spiritualized since the early 2000s. Franky, I didn't see a reason to. The last few albums up until EWB (which is my favorite album of his since the 90s, by far) didn't really stick with me. Friends who saw the last couple of tours said the setlists were mostly new stuff, sort of boring. But I had seen shows at The Caverns, and thought it would be cool to see them one more time in that environment.

And now...I can barely describe how mesmerizing this particular show was. And a lot of that is due to the venue. I'm sure the light projections are the same he's used elsewhere, but seeing it on a small screen in a theater vs. blown up on a cave wall is night and day. They took full advantage of the environment, playing with the rock textures and formations of the cave (someone has posted Shine A Light on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkikJEE ... rt_radio=1). Mix in the booming acoustics of the room and it was like the first time I saw them in the 90s, enveloped in this wall of sound and light.

I agree that A Song was a mind melting highlight, as was Let It Bleed. Really wish he'd played Mainline Song, Wasn't surprised he didn't play Crazy with Nikki Lane in the room, I don't see Jason as a duets kind of guy live. Nikki was rocking out next to me during most of SPZ's set in her cowgirl hat, which was fun to see.

Not a full room, but I didn't see a lot of exits to the beer line with all the newish songs. Most everyone around me was swaying back and forth, eyes closed. All except the wild, drugged out Mick Fleetwood lookalike with the star glasses, flailing around. But he knew all the words!

Heading back to Atlanta this morning, I went back through the albums I dismissed on Spotify previously and enjoyed them more. I guess that's what live shows are supposed to do.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by cdominey1 on Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Setlist.fm says I Gotta Fire was played…..assume that’s wrong?
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

Vancouver wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:30 pm Setlist.fm says I Gotta Fire was played…..assume that’s wrong?
Definitely not played, would have been welcomed.

Write up with some pictures and videos: https://www.brooklynvegan.com/spiritual ... ist-video/
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ooh... that cave version of Shine A Light is lovely. Those visuals on the rock formations...psychonauts well and truly looked after there :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

sunray wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:09 pm Ooh... that cave version of Shine A Light is lovely. Those visuals on the rock formations...psychonauts well and truly looked after there :lol:
Yeah, stone sober I was and still was seeing facial formations in the rock. Dead center between the hanging speaker stacks there is a face there? Anyone else seeing that :shock:

https://imgur.com/a/dUh5fib
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wow!
O P 8