Brian Jonestown Massacre in Leeds

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Brian Jonestown Massacre in Leeds

Post by runcible »

Quick respectful nod to all at the Cockpit in Leeds last night for BJM's support slot of BRMC. I didn't watch any of BRMC as it was only Anton and friends we were there to see.

We got just over half an hour but it was a compact set full of old favourites and not a single dull moment. Why they occupy a small area of cult status and no more remains a mystery to me and the crowd I was with - the music is so obviously and enjoyably good.

Cheers to the ever friendly Rick and Frankie, and to Anton too who never seems to display any of the more extreme characteristics people go on about when I've met him.

In all a really great night, both for the music and the people I was with (who are obviously too hungover to have reached for the message board yet). Marvellous.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

For those who haven't BJM in concert, you definately are missing out ! I remember those halycon days back in the mid 90's when they would play the West Coast circuit (from Seattle down to San Diego) in small clubs in front of 30 or so people. Their live shows are musically tight and it is always a treat which Anton you would get that nite (dr.jekyll or mr.hyde)?
I guess it all depends if he is taking his meds, i've been told that he takes Prozac to control his wild mood swings, drugs/drink don't help the cause ...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i've seen both the dr. jeckyl and mr. hyde BJM shows. when they are good they are great. when Anton is antagonistic it's like watching a train wreck. both captivating for different reasons.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I was fortunate enough to catch BJM do an in-store at Neptune Records in Royal Oak several months ago (or was it last year, damn time keeps slipping away from me) when they blew through Detroit. Very nice 4-5 song performance for about 20 people. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to seeing them again.

Spzretent: were you at that in-store? I swear you and I show up at these in-store thingys and shows (Warlocks) where no one else shows up and we STILL haven't been able to identify each other!!!! :D :D :D !!! We'll have to work out a code system next time, eh? :D :D

Oh, by the way. I must make a confession that I swore I would never reveal to this board: ok, ok, I went to see Oasis last night in Detroit (Rochester Hills actually). Please don't revoke my posting privlidges, ok? I really tried not to enjoy it.

Liam has a serious case of taking his rock star self very seriously. Wow. What a prick. My buddy, who knows nothing of Oasis, was watching Liam through the binoculars and said "he's a real cocky fucker, ain't he?" Average performance. Noel said something like "and this one's off the album that nobody bought." What kinda shit's that? Couldn't believe the way they talked to/treated their fans. But that's what I get for being on ticketbastards web site after one too many Bell's Amber beers and a credit card with credit available. We left about 1/2 way through the show. Rant over.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I wasn't at the BJM instore. I was at the Shelter show that night. Did you ever shop at Play It Again Records? All the Neptune guys worked there before Neptune opened. I owned that record shop. If that helps put a face to my name.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Went to the BJM/BRMC gig in Brighton last night. Probably hottest day of the year and the crowd were left waiting outside the venue for 45 mins for some reason. Mind you, once we got inside it was even hotter...very,very sweaty indeed. I'd never seen or heard the BJM before and thought they were excellent. Especially their final song which ended with lead singer and lead guitarist on their knees, feedbacking against their amps....brilliant.

BRMC were a bit of a let down in comparison. I really like them on record but the guitar seemed too quite in the mix for me last night. New stuff was really bluesy and the crowd didn't really know what to make of it. It probably didn't help that they started the gig with 4 new songs in a row. Anyway, they got better, but it was so hot in there and a 12 o'clock finish on a Sunday night isn't ideal (how rock and roll do I sound?!).

Just been on the BJM website and discovered that they've released quite a few records. Any ideas of a good starting point?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's all good as far as I am concerned. There is a fantastic compilation called Tepid Peppermint. Every track is brilliant. Double CD, nice package. For the actual albums I'd recommend Give It Back - written, recorded, mixed in just 5 days - as an entry point.

But you may end up like me and buy everything they've done as I don't believe they've made a bad record ever.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

BJM's Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is a great place to jump in.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Like Spzrent has mentioned any of their albums are worth purchasing, especially ' and this is our music ... ' and ' take it from the man '.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

that new double CD comp is a great starting point. its pretty much as cheap as the other cds and much easier to find too. it is really good.

Post by Guest »

Spzretent:

I had the chance to go to Play It Again only a few times in the late 80's as I was a poor 17 yr old college student at Oakland University and originally from the Saginaw area. So the chances of me seeing you in there were slim to none. Still would like to hook up sometime when I'm down that way again just to say hey and put a face with the name. I live up near Midland now. I wasn't able to make it to the BJM show that evening so the 4:00 p.m. in-store had to suffice.

Cheers!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Sorry, that was me . . . .
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i was probably there when you were in. i am the only one not currently employed at Neptune who may have been working when you were in the shop. Except for Scoob our resident Sub Pop/Shoegaze/Death Metal employee who went onto greener pastures with Frito Lay.

Post by Guest »

Downloaded "Strung out in Heaven" last night (the only album I could find on Soulseek) and giving it a first listen now. Sounds like a mixture of the Stones, the Byrds, Van Morrison and late 80's indie....pretty good really. Going to look in some of the independent record shops in Brighton on Saturday and see if I can pick up that double album that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Cheers for the recommendations.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Sorry that last message was mine, Ads...
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

i know that a few years ago you could go to their website and download the albums for free.

worth a try.

xxxshonnxxx
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Most are still there. That'd be my first port of call. Great downloads.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

tightwad :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hey - watch it!

There's shit on that site you can't buy! Plus alternate versions of old classics.

Anton does that so that people have access to the music. One guy who is NOT in it for the money.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:Hey - watch it!

There's shit on that site you can't buy! Plus alternate versions of old classics.

Anton does that so that people have access to the music. One guy who is NOT in it for the money.
I think we can add Ricky to that list as well!