cabaret voltaire edinburgh oct 5th 2005

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

drones
Known user

cabaret voltaire edinburgh oct 5th 2005

Post by drones »

Saw this at 4.30 this morning on teletext

The telescopes + luna or fuxa (can't remember which it was now, tried to, but can't, it's been a long morning!) + sonic boom

Anyway, thats about it, do your own "digging!"

edited 29/09/05 08:31 - "it's definetley fuxa and according to one site it's sonic boom (2)...whatever the (2) means, don't know".

take care

edited 29/09/05 08:58 - quote from sonic' site "fuxa will not be playing on the telescopes tour. Instead Sonic Boom will be playing an E.A.R. set"

maybe now i will consider going through to edinburgh.
I only feel right
with a football at my side
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

MIght check That out Drones. What are tht telescopes like?
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

i'd love to be able to get along to this, but i'm going to see Slipstream down south.
i'm assuming The Telescopes stuff will be more like their Third Wave album than their earlier stuff... think along the same lines as Fuxa and EAR...
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

ORBITAL wrote:MIght check That out Drones. What are tht telescopes like?
I haven't listened/heard any telescopes stuff since that presumably self-titled album, with the chord song-book enclosed. So I can only comment on that. I've not listened to it in a while, in-fact i think i only really liked it as it had the chords and i was learning to play geetar! My favourite song of theirs is the flipside to the Everso 12" think it was called "Never learn not to love" or something like that.
I've got and listened to "Taste" one of or either their first albums, can't really re-call it.
Their second/third album (as I believe it to be, tell me if i'm wrong, please!) is kinda par for the course at that time, think it was released on creation 1991 and is a fairly slow-paced affair, winsome vocals, quite a few "ah-ahs", some nice drumming and stroked guitaring!
Theres a guy on ebay, he has a shop called adamscds, he stocks the newer telescopes stuff, there is a brief review with the new stuff too.
He also stocks SpaceAge stuff, Spectrum, Sonic, Spacemen3 and you could try this link for an earlier Telescopes discography http://www.glassdarkly.com/telescopes.html
As for me being any good at reviewing bands/records...I wont kill myself hanging around for a paycheck!

take care and enjoy if you go
I only feel right
with a football at my side
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

First Telescopes album (Taste) is a very noisy/punk/JAMC type affair. Absolutely brilliant. Not a million miles from "Feed Me Your Kiss"-era MBV.

Next one (Trademark Of Quality) is a live show of theirs from around the same time as the first album. Again its a noisy affair, but it rocks like hell! The closing version of Suicide just tears me up everytime i hear it... devastating!

Next album was the Creation s/t one. Major change in direction. Sounds like they found LSD in the studio. Very dreamy and melodic...beautiful album.

Latest album (Third Wave) is a much more electronica affair, but is in the same vein as Fuxa... nice tunes and subtle tripped out melodies. I wasn't sure what i was expecting from this but once i heard it, i loved it.

If you like Fuxa, and can cope with the sometimes randomness of EAR (i love it!), then this is a top night!

For Telescopes fans, you could also check out Stephen Lawrie's other band Unisex...
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

i went along to this last night and really enjoyed it. Shame about fuxa though.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

nasty wrote:Shame about fuxa though.
why why why - what happened??

would you please tell us more....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Fuxa never made it as Randall was turned away at UK customs.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

yeah, right right, forgot about that.

but how were the telescopes?

was sonic turning the vibes before them?????
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

Anyone going to this should aim to get there for half 7. Just in time to see Lunar Sunrise. Half an hour of trippy epics with a groove and highly recommended (though between you n' me the vocals can be a bit shaky). In case anyone's wondering, I'm not in them but I have been once or twice.

Well excited about seeing the Telescopes as well. Self-titled album's up there with my all time favourites and third wave's a fucker as well.