Jason and Daniel Johnston

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Jebus Sabes
Known user

Jason and Daniel Johnston

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Jason to appear with Daniel in March 2006, although given Daniel's downturn in health this last week, we'll have to wait and see.

I'd also recommend seeing the film 'The Devil and Daniel Johnson' - very very good.

------------------------
Daniel Johnston is scheduled to perform at London's Barbican on March 12, with several high-profile guests joining him on stage, including Sparklehorse's Mark Linkous, Spiritualized's Jason Pierce, and Half Japanese's Jad Fair.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-11/29.shtml

Details here:
http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event- ... sp?ID=3779

" Musician and artist Daniel Johnston has become a cult figure amongst those in the 'know'.

This special concert brings together many of Daniel Johnston's admirers to perform on the same stage as him. Confirmed guests so far include Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse), Jason Pierce (Spiritualised) and Jad Fair.

An outsider with a history of mental illness, Johnston first came to the public's attention when rock legend Kurt Cobain was seen on MTV sporting Johnston's 'Goofy Frog' t-shirt design. Since then his raw and heartfelt music has been championed by everyone from Tom Waits to Beck.

The release of a compelling documentary The Devil & Daniel Johnston, which had the critics raving at the Raindance film festival, has further generated interest in this enigmatic figure"
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

wow. has anyone here ever seen daniel johnston?
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

no, but i've seen sparklehorse (twice, back to back) and he is simply amazing.

i highly recommend 'it's a wonderful life' album. guest vocalists include tom waits and pj harvey.

why can't this concert happen in america???

you lucky brits, and northern, no excues, you need to make it to this show.

xxme
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

anorthernsoul wrote:wow. has anyone here ever seen daniel johnston?
I saw him back in May in Newcastle. He seemed quite ill and fragile already then and the set was really short, but the songs themselves were heartbreakingly beautiful.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

it'd be a strange concert, but then maybe it's one of those that i'd regret missing forever. i'm in two minds. not to derail the thread, but did anyone see jase at the songs of experience meltdown thing? what was that like?
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

anorthernsoul wrote:it'd be a strange concert, but then maybe it's one of those that i'd regret missing forever. i'm in two minds. not to derail the thread, but did anyone see jase at the songs of experience meltdown thing? what was that like?
I was out of town when that gig happened. I wish I'd been there, so yeah I'd also like to know what it was like ...
lular
Known user

Post by lular »

--
Last edited by lular on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Sorry if I've mentioned this before, but Daniel's original drawings are for sale. I bought one with a frame and you may view it here:

http://www.discoveredcovered.com/galler ... .php?id=29

and you may also look at the remaining drawings that are available for purchase. The nice thing is that all proceeds from the drawing sales are going to a housing fund to help Daniel get into his own home next to his parents.

Cheers!
I think I feel it coming on
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

has anyone got a spare for this?
keep me posted if anyone bails or decides against it ... i've done my now signature thing of waiting for things to sell out before deciding i can make it ...

Post by Guest »

tickets are still available. Even the good seats are still available. But the concert has recently been rearranged to Friday 14 April due to Daniel's latest bout of illness just before christmas. The new set of tickets for the rearranged date should be on sale by 27 Jan.

See the following link for full details:

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event- ... sp?ID=3779
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

ah wow, cheers guest ... that's ace, i'm free n available now, and have no excuse not to go.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I think the 'Fear Yourself' LP by Daniel Johnston with Mark Linkous is great...I've seen Spaklehorse three times and think they're great....though their shows are always way too short...reduce the entrance fee is you're gonna play for an hour me thinks...
a beautiful noise
Known user

Broc wrote:I think the 'Fear Yourself' LP by Daniel Johnston with Mark Linkous is great...I've seen Spaklehorse three times and think they're great....though their shows are always way too short...reduce the entrance fee is you're gonna play for an hour me thinks...
ohh yeah, sparklehorse are great. i've seen him/them play a few times and each time it had to have been at least 90 minutes. i even have a setlist that he gave to me, and i seem to remember it has about 20 songs on it.

he really needs to release another album, "it's a wonderful life" is in my top 50 of all time, if i ever had a list.

xxme
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

a beautiful noise wrote:
Broc wrote:
he really needs to release another album, "it's a wonderful life" is in my top 50 of all time, if i ever had a list.

xxme
quite right. "it's a wonderful life" has a permanent position in my cd changer. we loves it. we do.
russg

Post by russg »

The Jig wrote:I bought a ticket for this show knowing i could make it on it's original date, but now it's been put back it makes things very difficult.

I am going to Edinburgh for a couple of nights on the Sunday after the show and just don't know yet if i can afford to do this plus that. But i really don't want to miss out on the show as i know i will regret it, but i just don't know if i can affor to get to and stay in London for a night so close to the Edinburgh trip.

So i might have a ticket for this if someone's stuck, but i might not because i don't want to miss out.

I'm stuck, any suggestions ??
the way i see it The Jig, is that you had budgeted for the gig on the original date, so obviously you were thinking you could afford it then...so all you need to do is put the original money to one side and use it on the new date. It isn't going to cost you anymore, or any less for that matter. And as for going Edinburgh, i'm guessing the only difference that'll make is your journey'll take a different amount of time if you're going straight from london to edinburgh, and also you might loose out on an extra couple hours sleep...and who needs sleep?!! I'd go for both if i were you.
veep23
Known user

Post by veep23 »

I just don't get the Daniel Johnston thing. Maybe I'm off base but, if the guy was not "mentally ill" would anyone think he was genius? I'll giv the benefit of the doubt to him because so many great musicians dig him and he did write Speeding Motorcycle. Yo La Tengo playing that for 20+ minutes before the venue shut the power off on em was a great moment and I guess I have D.J. to thank in part.
veep23
Known user

Post by veep23 »

Ohhh yehh... Sparklehorse! What a good band. I first heard the song "It's a Sad Beautiful World" on the radio and I HAD to call the d.j. to find out who it was. Possibly the best Velvet Underground "cover" song ever. I'm surprised more peeps don't know about them. Its a Wonderful Life is a wonderful album.
HTM

Post by HTM »

Nice feature about Daniel Johnston here:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/sto ... 27,00.html

It even contains a quote from Mr Spaceman, which is something of a rare item these days...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

would someone like to do me a massive favour and maybe upload im a baby (in my universe), track 6 of hi, how are you? to yousendit or the like please?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

veep23 wrote:I just don't get the Daniel Johnston thing. Maybe I'm off base but, if the guy was not "mentally ill" would anyone think he was genius?
yes: the music is good, illness or not.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

just some additional reading about Daniel Johnston from the Pitchforkmedia:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/features/ ... ston.shtml

Daniel Johnston-- renowned singer/songwriter and Magic Marker artist-- just got a greatest hits album, a gallery exhibit, a feature-length documentary, and a spot in a big-time museum show. Pitchfork follows Daniel, friends, and family to the Whitney Biennial to talk about his art-world success, his long-running mental illness, and what the two things have to do with each other.

Post by Guest »

Hey Jig, I'm going to the gig Jig. I'm still hoping I can get someone to take your ticket so it doesn't go to waste. I'll let you know.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Ok, saw the brief descriptions of the gig in the Music section posted by Ben, but does anyone have a detailed review of the gig? It would be so appreciated! Thanks and cheers.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

purespace wrote:Ok, saw the brief descriptions of the gig in the Music section posted by Ben, but does anyone have a detailed review of the gig? It would be so appreciated! Thanks and cheers.
I already wrote a bit about it in the music section, but I'll attempt to expand. I don't really make a good reviewer since I don't have a memory for names, titles, numbers and stuff like that... (too many drugs over the years probably).

The line up consisted on Jason doing acoustic guitars and vocals, Doggen playing what looked like a Rhodes to me, a string quartet and 'gospel type' female choir singers (3?). Doggen was sort of underpinning stuff with his keys and Jason was playing chords on the acoustic (which could have been slightly louder). The strings were doing quite beautiful emotional parts, but without being too sweet and sappy. The arrangements were structured so that there were quieter parts interspersed with the strings and 'choir' coming in to lift it- a la Spz. Jason's singing was great, the quiter bits were very potent and sensitive and I loved how he phrased things. He sung some hi bits that were stunning too and when the BV's came in he'd let it rip more. For me it was one of the best Spz related performances I've seen. The song choices were great and The Johnston songs sat really well with the Spz stuff. I don't usually like viewing music in an elitist/competetive way, but the contrast was so staggering-his performance made all the others look like mere pretenders.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
modernlover

Daniel Johnston gig

Post by modernlover »

Whoah - that was a special gig.

Shame DJ didn't play more, but to paraphrase Flavor Flav, Daniel Johnston's got problems of his own, and I felt lucky with what we got.

As has been mentioned, Jason's set was beautiful, with a string quartet and 3 gospel singers and a keyboard player, great acoustics and none of the muddy sound you get when Spiritualized play your local sticky-floored, black-painted gymnasium. He seemed relaxed and happy, not that he normally doesn't, but I think all the performers enjoyed not being centre of attention.

Set list:
"Baby I'm sitting on fire" (first line, don't know name, Spz track, sounds familiar though. Feel free to flame me for being a part timer if you like, but that's MY Fierce 7" pictured in the discog. Oh yes.)
Devil Town,
Lord let it rain on me
True love will find you in the end
Walking with Jesus
"Good night, good night, it's coming down" (new spz track?)
(Funeral Home) - one line from the DJ song sang as long coda to above.

"Thank you. [Indeciphrable band introduction]. Thanks to Daniel. Good night." [aplauds crowd on way out]

Yes, that's right, he played True Love..., as covered by Sonic. I had a little bet going with my girlfriend about wether he would do it - I lost, but it was a perfect fit for JP. Now we just need to hear DJ doing "Lord can you hear me" and our hearts will be forever broken.

I recorded the show on my MP3 player and it sounds very nice, though obviously not top quality. One copy only of whole gig to swap for a burn of the S3 "How the blues" - if you then want to post it on bit torrent, that's up to you.

I went to the signing event the next day and DJ was relaxed, chatty and on the ball, which was nice to see.
Sonic loon
New user

Post by Sonic loon »

modernlover, pleease PM me about the recording of the DJ jason set! I was there and it was the most beautiful thing I've seen him do, ever. I must own it!

I don't have 'How The Blues...', but I have got some other stuff that may interest you...
"I'll give it up for you but let me finish what I got"
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Modern Lover - drop me an email or Private Message

Post by Guest »

Whats with the secrecy surrounding the recording of the gig? How come its only available via a dozen PM's and 40quids worth of CD's? £40 of cd's (where 100% of the money would've gone to the artist) in exchange for a bootleg (not even that as it'd be exchanged via email)?!! Thats ridiculous. I was there at the gig - I got a sense of peace and harmony and (as corny as it sounds) even love. People were friendly. Didn't realise spz fans were infact children of the 'gimme gimme gimme' generation.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I agree with you guest -A tape of the show is not equvalent to how the blues, partiulalry when sonic was at pains to point out his views on music sharing. How the blues could well appear in future in some other release, so I wouldn't feel totally right about sharing it. Hence my offer of some boots as an alternative.

Rest assured in the unlikely event the guy does make a trade on that basis I'll torrent the show, or pass it on through the usual cascade to 5 more people and so on.

We'll probalby find the recoding media was a mobile phone anyway. :wink:
mark_a
Known user

Post by mark_a »

clewsr wrote:I agree with you guest -A tape of the show is not equvalent to how the blues, partiulalry when sonic was at pains to point out his views on music sharing. How the blues could well appear in future in some other release, so I wouldn't feel totally right about sharing it. Hence my offer of some boots as an alternative.

Rest assured in the unlikely event the guy does make a trade on that basis I'll torrent the show, or pass it on through the usual cascade to 5 more people and so on.

We'll probalby find the recoding media was a mobile phone anyway. :wink:
Here's hoping the recording was a decent digital player or a minidisc, J's performance that night was stunning. The night certainly peaked with him & DJ at the top of the bill.

I would have attempted a recording myself, but was positioned pretty badly, so the sound wouldn't really have translated to 'tape' very well.

I'll keep my eyes open on dimedozen.org for the show.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

dhoward
New user

Post by dhoward »

Always nice to get a bit of a kicking, even if it is only a gentle one.

I'm not precious about it at all - the reason I haven't just stuck it on bittorrent or whatever is because I don't know how to and I'm too knackered to find out how.

I just offered a CD copy of my recording to someone for a burn of How The Blues, ono (gotta chance your arm, aintcha?). Immoral? I've probably fed and clothed Jason and Sonic for a good month a piece with all the records and gigs I've paid for over the past 15 years, so I feel no guilt.

As I said before, if the person who gets it wants to stick it up on bittorrent, I really don't mind - I just lack the ability to do it myself.

Anyway, it was recorded direct to mp3 at 160 kb/sec on an iRiver H320 with the mic that came free with it. It sounds good, but maybe the other dude has a better recording.

Oh sod it, I'll just punt it out on eBay...

Modernlover
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

If I had 'how the blues...' I would trade it with you, but I don't... maybe someone else does? Or you could just make a cd-tree sharing thing of it... I understand you want something in return (no guilt implied), but if that fails, maybe the you could just share it anyway?!
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I would love to hear this show, if someone can upload it on that site. I paid for a premium membership. That would be really cool, I just saw the movie and it was great

Jebus Sabes wrote:http://www.rejectedunknown.com/features ... estour.htm

There's a 30 sec avi file of 'lord let it rain on me':
http://www.rejectedunknown.com/features ... MG5867.AVI
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

http://www.rejectedunknown.com/features ... estour.htm

Ladies and gentlemen, is this the first time when we saw a picture of Jason and his wife and his children all together on one picture?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

i believe so mr Veiko. Thats the most personal shot I think ive ever seen of him.
a beautiful noise
Known user

hee-hhe i met poppy at the sage gig. she's a dol.

xx
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Which photo?
veiko wrote:http://www.rejectedunknown.com/features ... estour.htm

Ladies and gentlemen, is this the first time when we saw a picture of Jason and his wife and his children all together on one picture?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

dselevan wrote:Which photo?
veiko wrote:http://www.rejectedunknown.com/features ... estour.htm

it's gone now. sad.
but you must respect everybodys privacy. it was a good picture though... obviously.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

The link has gone, but the picture is still on the server. I'd better not post the link here, but if anyone is curious, PM me.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

c'mon ...
has anyone got this? if modern lover's still here, get in touch ...
ocelot
New user

Post by ocelot »

Hi folks (first time on here)

I've got a decent minidisc recording of this show.

Jason's set was the highlight of the evening for me. Definitely worked with the acoustics of the place. Willing to do copies/trade etc.

Let me know if you're interested.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

i've PM'd you, ocelot
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

me too.
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Nice pictures of Jason from the gig:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlepants/page4/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

http://buddyhead.typepad.com/medication ... ce_sp.html

Just to bump this... this guys blog has got the whole gig for download, and the sound quality is brilliant. God its beautiful stuff.. i'm so looking forward to the acoustic gigs now.

can anyone tell me which of theses ongs are new Spz?
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

angelsighs wrote:http://buddyhead.typepad.com/medication ... ce_sp.html

Just to bump this... this guys blog has got the whole gig for download, and the sound quality is brilliant. God its beautiful stuff.. i'm so looking forward to the acoustic gigs now.

can anyone tell me which of theses ongs are new Spz?
Y'might want to have a read of this post:

http://www.spiritualized.com/message2/v ... hp?p=25488

...in which the answers are revealed as being Old Flame and Coming Down. :)
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
ohh
Known user

Post by ohh »

Also on that Buddyhead website is this old post of a Spiritualized radio session (with a link to another one) here: http://buddyhead.typepad.com/medication ... zed_k.html
I've been reading buddyhead for a while and it's pretty good, even though they only post mp3's nowadays.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

cheers Ash.. The answer didn't seem to be definitive on that thread and Old Flame seemed so different to past Spz stuff.. god its good.. there seems to be much more emphasis on the vocal melody (Jason doing high vocals who would of thought it?) rather than the sonics around it, if you get what i mean (probably not)
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

Thanks for the link.

As an aside, I strongly recommend Dave Pajo's cover of True Love Will Find You In The End on Papa M Sings.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Holy shit am I the only one who missed the boat on the live download? Just spent 4 hours last night downloading Jason's live set at the Daniel Johston show from the link above. VERY nice!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the two new songs and True Love . . . AND Walking With Jesus is the full blown gospel that it I always knew it could be. This is a great treat :D :D :D :D Thanks for that link!!!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

know exactly what you mean.. this version really brings out the stomping gospel beast that was always hiding underneath the exterior of Walking With Jesus.

I am the only one that these tracks seemed to take an AGE to download? worth it though.

Its often worth searching google blogs for spiritualized every now and again- i've seen the Canada 2003 gig for download and also the editors remix somewhere.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

the download is taking FOREVER... like dialup speed... 4K/sec... ugh!