Leeds gig

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Leeds gig

Post by runcible »

Throwing my two cents in at the risk of offending those won't accept crisiticism of the band...

The Leeds gig was very good as far as gigs go, but quite a way down the quality ladder in terms of prime Spiritualized. Part of it wasn't their fault as the sound was pretty ropey, but then that's my usual criticism of gigs I attend, although I've seen them at the same venue before and it's been tremendous. The second complaint is also familiar - why the fuck do people talk consistently throughout, often having to yell to make themselves heard? This remains one of the great mysteries of live music. And during such gems as Walkin' With Jesus too.

Anyway, the point is that the gig lulled enormously in the middle when a lot of stuff from AG was played - I got bored like I did last time, and although the gig was better than the previous one I saw in Sheffield I still felt disappointed. Only when Take Your Time appeared at the end did that sparkle appear, and it continued during Smiles and Things after, but prior to that I felt a distinct lack of passion and overall vibes. I'm unconvinced by this line up - during Walkin' With Jesus the little bouncy rhythm seemed wooden and lacking the right structure.

Jason can still cut it when he really wants to, its just for me he doesn't seem to want to often enough. What's important is that there is still enough going on to keep me attending the gigs, so I doubt that will be my final live Spiritualized experience. Hey ho.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

that middle portion does looks boring, but how was let it flow? one of my favorites live so it could be a nice reward for sitting through the lull. no one has mentioned it yet though. not a favorite of yours or was it just not that special?
i got some really nice photos and some short video clips of the gig today, looks like a very tiny venue.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Have to agree on all the points Runcible has made although I did think Borken Heart was excellent. On the sound front I think a little cranking up of the volume wouldn't have gone a miss. Spiritualized music is all about ebbs & flows, quite & crescendos and for me when you were expecting the full on noise it didn't quite hit the spot.
Regarding the talking, that was unbelievable. Why do these people bother with the concert when they could stand outside, chat to their mates, and spend their ticket money on beer, thus doing everybody a favour.
One last point, I'm led to believe the version of Let It Flow was pretty good but I only heard half of it as I was duped into going to the bar.YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE !

Bring on BJM
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I was also at the bar during Let It Flow. It's amazing the times that people choose to force you to go and buy them drinks...

Post by Guest »

leeds gig. shut the fuck up. All I heard was some dumb bitch talkin about how many lessons she had missed this week and about mummy and daddy and the horses.
Why do people talk all the way through the gig.
At mogwai gigs when they play quiet, everybody is like fazed by the music and nobody moves speaks or even farts.
I enjoyed the gig but I wish some people wernt there then the people who wanna get into it can.
andyorley
New user

Post by andyorley »

Without sounding sycophantic, i thought the gig was excellent, i agree on the talking, especially the tit who stood next to me and threw an empty can at jason to "attract his attention." WANKER!.. Let it flow was the highlight for me although i did enjoy the AG tracks. . Always nice to hear the new stuff live. Not the best i've seen them but certainly not the worst..

Post by Guest »

http://www.quartzcity.net/gallery/spiritualized

photos and video clips from the Leeds gig
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

here's an interesting take on the talkers and shouters at gigs. It's taken from a post by Madcap on the 'Wolverhampton Gig' thread:

...but i was dissapointed to read the comments made by starfish as i was one of the so called MORONS!who was shouting spaceman.starfish what is your problem u stuck up twat the MORONS were encouraging jason to carry on with his great playing.i can guarantee i probably took more from that gig than anyone in that hall.And whats all this about sitting down at gigs?i dont know what your used to mate but i think u need to get a life and if your going to a see a band as brilliant as spiritualized i think a silent crowd is disrespecting their ability...

Just to say (- and I'd like to think it was needless to say -) that the comment about sitting down at gigs was_a_joke.