Jim Reid in Brighton

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Shinesalight
Known user

Jim Reid in Brighton

Post by Shinesalight »

Anyone going to see Jim Reid @ the Pressure Point in Brighton on 19th Feb? Tried getting tickets in town today but couldn't find anywhere selling them. Don't know if you have to get them direct from the venue or whether its a case of queueing up for them on the night. Found out about it on the April Skies J&MC site.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

make sure you keep the booze away from him. should be a good show tho.

xxme
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

i just spotted that jim has a new cd coming...
https://www.normanrecords.com/coming_so ... 65ae3eb78c
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i guess it might be an expanded full single, but song for a secret got released as a split 7" with sister vanilla (linda reid) a while ago ...
it seems as if there is stuff on the way though.
hoani
New user

jim reid

Post by hoani »

go check him out....i went last month in london and really enjoyed it. the man has no pretensions, though apparently considers himself a "rock and roll amputation"
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got my tickets for this on Saturday. Anyone else going to this or any other of his gigs?

Post by Guest »

Thought it was great
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah it was good wasn't it. Forgot to leave a post on here afterwards. It was a really low key gig but was ruined a bit by all the people from the support acts and their mates talking at the bar (I sound like a moaning old man). I was on crutches and had been to an "eat as much as you can" Chinese buffet before hand so was really knackered by the end of it. Liked the sound of his stuff, the voice hasn't changed at all. Could have done with a couple of familiar J&MC gems but never mind.
a beautiful noise
Known user

sorry to push ads, but can you tell us what chain songs he did play?

thanks

xxme

p/s- i saw pete from adorable (does anybody remember them) play in brighton at the freebutt.

also remeber going to a great chinese restaurant upstairs down by the train depot.

what a great night that was.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i saw Jim Reid on the Freeheat tour and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Its not much of a stretch from the Mary Chain stuff but really enjoyable.
He's always been great when i've seen him here.
Back in the Mary Chain days it was always William who seemed to be having his period. Now there is a miserable guy.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
a beautiful noise
Known user

yeah yeah i have the freeheat album what is it called, "don't worry be happy", i think is the name, and that was a major let down for me when it came out.

i can't remeber if we saw him on that freeheat tour, have to ask my better half if we did. she has a much better memory.

xme

p.s.- warmth i have not forgotten aobut your request for the william reid solo stuff, i will make a comp with some of the tracks.

pp.s- ahh willie is a bit of bastard, but if you have ever seen where they come form (east kilbrade) you can see why.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

a beautiful noise wrote:sorry to push ads, but can you tell us what chain songs he did play?

thanks

xxme

p/s- i saw pete from adorable (does anybody remember them) play in brighton at the freebutt.

also remeber going to a great chinese restaurant upstairs down by the train depot.

what a great night that was.
I think the only J & MC song he played was Mo Tucker off of Munki. Not sure about the rest of the set. Not that familiar with his stuff post Mary Chain. Anyway, ABN, how come you came over to see Adorable (vague recollection about them but remind me) down the Freebutt (now that is a funny little venue)? You didn't come over just for them or did you used to live over here?
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

a beautiful noise wrote:

is pete fajowskiefoeinrferf still doing polak stuff? he sells second hand books in brighton somewhere.

the guitarist from adorable (is it will or robert) is in the zephyrs, signed to mogwai's rock action record label

i have soft spot for both adorable albums, pretty impressive considering they were from dearest coventry
a beautiful noise
Known user

good post, i didn't know that the guitarist is in the zephyr's. i like that album (thanx orbie).

jim played mo tucker, uugghh, i love that last chain album.

as for adorable, petes a WANK. he is so full of himself. but he tends to be a pretty good guy. he likes to tell you all the reasons why adorable never made it. i always assumed it was becase that mouth of his.

as for brighton, yeah yeah i got into a pinch of trouble down there. i was living in leyton (waaaaay east end of london) and took the train down to see polak. well needless to say i'm not the "heavy" drinker that some of yous might be and after missing the last train back to london i ended up wandering around a bit too tipsy and passed out in the park underneath the sign that says "NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED".

whoops!

the fuzz were pretty decent when they heard the situation (suprisingly!). that's how i ended up finding chinese restaurant.

xxme
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

it seems a pretty certain point that that faljowski mouth did'nt help adorable progress in the slightest.

suede were signed after supporting them amusingly.

Post by Guest »

As far as I know, the Mary Chain songs Jim has been playing solo (except for "Moe Tucker") have been "The Perfect Crime" and "Never Understand" (once I think), as well as a few Freeheat tracks that were never released.. most of their stuff was SO much better than what ended up on that EP.. there will be a collection released on Planting Seeds records soon gathering up their unreleased session recordings and one live gig, all with very little overlap from the earlier EP.

//H.R.