Liverpool gig

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

clewsr
Known user

Liverpool gig

Post by clewsr »

Afternoon, Very pleased to be able to say I enjoyed the Liverpool gig enormously. 100% better than last years Sheffield gig. Admittedly some of this may be purely subjective, this time we got there early and had an excellent spot near the front with a good space and no pushing and squashing [and not too much talking], while last time we were squashed at the back constantly having to move for people pushing past.

Set list was the same as posted elsewhere I think, Electricity and excellent start, I was pleased with the amazing grace tracks, they've been fucked about with along the way and now sound less like the straight forward album versions they were playing with last year. Cheapster was excellent, and never going back was made really dirty, much better than the album track. anything more sounded great let it flow also [had the sampled 'wowowowo' in there], I think I'm in love was excellent and smiles / things'll never be the same ended in a fantastic noise fest.

All in all very good show, it did lull a bit in the middle as I think runcible mentioned, but as a 7 piece this is the best I've heard of them in recent years. They seem to have managed to get rid of a squally metally guitar sound they had the last few times with this line up, while still sounding noisy as fuck when they want to. I tend to prefer it when they have at least have a saxaphone playing, but this was the best gig I've seen without any saxes for years. The band also looked more in to it than Sheffield, but I couldn't over the feeling that they were session musicians rather than a band band.

merchandise - they had funny little metal spiritualized tie pin badges that looked like railway badges, which I declined, they also unusually had white hooded tops with a cartoon on with someone gasping 'its the highest show on earth!' on the front. Couldn't decide if I wanted one or not so in the end went for a blue tshirt with cheapster written in reverse on it.

All in all I enjoyed myself immensly. Was anyone else from here there?
buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

I was there too, and it was an amazing show (as expected :P ), travelled over from the Isle of man for the gig and it was worth every penny, nice to meet a few other fans and the atmosphere was really friendly, highlights for me were Think I'm in love, Things'll never be the same and Let it flow but it was all really good, only seen them once indoors before (seen them a good few times at festivals) which was at Preston a few years ago (with support from Mercury Rev and Dr Phibes), gutted that we couldn't make it up to Manchester on Sunday for the gig but just seeing them once was well worth the travel, first saw Spacemen 3 at my first festival on my 19th birthday and the band in all their forms have been my favourite ever since and Saturday just confirmed that, my ears are still ringing now :P
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

You saw Spacemen 3? You lucky man. The was a bit before my time. You weren't by any chance wearing a spacemen 3 t shirt were you? There was a guy at the front close to me wearing one, and I kept think i bet he posts here, but I didn't quite have the guts to go and ask...

I suppose it must be hard getting to see bands in the isle of man, - not many bands head out in that direction I guess?!
buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

Yes, definately lucky to see Spacemen 3, and they were excellent, it was my first time at a festival and got to see them, Loop and My Bloody Valentine, couldn't ask for more really !, and yes I was down the front with my S3 T Shirt on, probably wobbling slightly and grimacing cause I needed a pee so badly but couldn't possibly miss any of the gig !, it is a pain getting to gigs living over here, I used to live in Liverpool so it was a lot easier then, makes it a real event now to go to a gig so its a case of making sure its one that I really want to get to, glad you enjoyed the gig too, next gig for me is Super Fury Animals in March, can't wait, then Glastonbury, anybody know if Spiriualized are likely to be playing its about time they played again, definately the best gigs I've ever been to was when they headlined the NME stage, awsome !
sizzla

liverpool gig

Post by sizzla »

hello buggane-i made the same trip as you fella and it was worth every penny-and some. sixteen quid for breakfast on that sodding boat still plays on my mind but... like you say great sense of anticipation going to a gig from here and the weather was forecast to be bad and we sailed into the sunrise-brilliant. i haven't seen the band since they toured floating in space-they were brilliant then as they are now-felt spiritualized for days! high points shine a light and,erm,everything else-can't wait to do it all over again. if ian brown would care to play the same venue i might see you on the boat-go halves on a breakfast :?
buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

Hi Sizzla, do I know you ? (I'm gypo/port st mary/rhysical pheck), great to hear that there were other people who made the journey, like you say it was well worth it, I thought the venue was really good and I'm still beaming from the gig, next trip to the 'pool is for Super Furry Animals in March, can't wait :D :D , fancy the trip to the Artic Circle for Spritiualized, that should be fun organising that with one of the travel agents over here !!
sizzla

Post by sizzla »

i'm sure we know each other somewhere down the line-you know how it goes-i'd love to see em anywhere to be honest but y'know-time and money. definately going to be making more trips to that venue though-well handy. do you work with c cottier? gypo rings a bell?!