Spiritualized 1998-6-26 Roskilde Festival (FM Broadcast)

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Multi
Known user

Spiritualized 1998-6-26 Roskilde Festival (FM Broadcast)

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Cool, can't wait. I'll be giving these a go when I get home from work.
Cheers Multi
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

What a nice treat on a cold Tuesday night.

Thanks a lot, Multi. Downloading the 2 shows right now.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I really like the version of LAGWAFIS.. got me realising that I don't think I ever heard them play it that often.

And you can hear the (British) National Anthem in the middle of the Cop Shoop Cop noise quiet clearly.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I've had to give up trying to download the Roskilde gig. It was taking an eternity. About 6 hours left to go after only downloading 7%!

Tried it twice - same second time.

The other show was no problem. Haven't listened yet.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Multi, you've convinced me to have another go.

Glad I did - it's in the middle of downloading now at a far faster speed. Should be finished in about 30 mins.

I dread to think how slow it would be on dial-up.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

.. the guy in the front passing around a bag of wine and screaming like a little girl was me.. :oops:
people just smiled when I poured red wine over their clothes!

damn it might even be me shouting "medication" at the beginning of lagwafis..

I think I have this somewhere.
If anyone finds the 93 gig then puuhleeease pm me.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

grabbing this now, thanks!

(is there a lossless (WAV/SHN/FLAC) source for this also?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Have clicked on the link but how do I download the stuff...there doesn't seem to be any options to do it???? Also, 've noticed loads of people on here talking about a lossless or FLAC format...what does this mean?? If somebody does respond to my stupidity please can they answer in plain English rather than computer-speak which I really can't get my head round. Cheers...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

mp3's and other formats like that use compression to make the fsound files small and easy to move around. Apparently the bits that are compressed you shouldnt be able to hear anyway, but lots of people who are well into their audio quite rightly sniff at these compressed formats.

Plus if you are making a recording of a live performance that might already not be perfect, why do you want to degrade it further by compressing it.

This is where lossless formats come in - lossless meaning no loss of audio quality, flac format is one, as is ogg vorbis. I tunes has its own lossless format too.

dbpower amp will let you convert between formats.

Its interesting to Note that Digital radio, which has been advertised as having superb audio quality in comparrison to FM, is normally broadcast at 128 bits, which is way low. I'd never import mp3s at that rate. I think only radio 3 is braodcast at a sensible bit rate.

there you go. hopefully that didn't confuse matters.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

once you've clicked on the link, there's a countdown box in the top right hand corner that tells you to "wait 40 seconds to download" ...
Once it reaches 00, it'll say "click here to download".... and away you go.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers Clewsr/Starfish. I saw that box ticking down but it then became hidden by an advert which I didn't realise you could close down (doh!). However, I then clicked on the link and got a message saying "download limit exceeded" even though I've never been on this site before? It then brought up a page talking about ports, proxys and various other nonsense that I really don't understand (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=692WFLJ3) as well as an advert for meeting other passionate people in Hove (now that I DO understand!). Shall I give up now (with the computer stuff NOT the passionate women) or is there any future for me?!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

your download limit may be something to do with your broadband provider, rather than the site.
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Ads

sounds like your struggling mate! should all else fail i'll be happy to post you a copy - let me know how you get on.

8)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Ads- it's all greek to me, too, but i've managed to download it, now all i need is to "install a stuffit engine in my system folder" before i can hear it. whatever that means. so, if i ever figure it out, i will make you a copy!

thanks multi- for posting this.
can't wait to hear LAGWAFIS live.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

a WAV (or AIFF) file is pure CD quality, and 80 minutes of them add up to about 700 MB, the size of a CDR.

FLAC (free lossless audio codec), SHN (shorten) and APE (monkey's audio) were developed for internet trading, since they reduce the file size by about half, so the example above would be around 350 MB.

SHN compresses less than FLAC, which compresses less than APE. not siginficant amounts, but there it is.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've got a pretty old computer (Windows 1998) & a Creative Zen MP3 player so tend to use MP3, WMA & WAV files (I think?!). I certainly don't consider myself to be an audiophile and I think the sound quality on these seems to be ok (though having nothing else to compare it to I guess I'm none the wiser really). I really don't have a clue when it comes to bit-rates etc. but guess the higher the bit-rate the better the quality, but the less tracks I can fit on my MP3 player...is that right? What is a decent bit-rate anyway? Maybe the computer experts on the board should set up a course for the computer idiots like myself?! :wink:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Ads wrote:I've got a pretty old computer (Windows 1998) & a Creative Zen MP3 player so tend to use MP3, WMA & WAV files (I think?!). I certainly don't consider myself to be an audiophile and I think the sound quality on these seems to be ok (though having nothing else to compare it to I guess I'm none the wiser really). I really don't have a clue when it comes to bit-rates etc. but guess the higher the bit-rate the better the quality, but the less tracks I can fit on my MP3 player...is that right? What is a decent bit-rate anyway? Maybe the computer experts on the board should set up a course for the computer idiots like myself?! :wink:
I'm not an audiophile, either. The sound quality is good, just listening on my laptop at work now. 192kbps (which these files are done at) is a good balance of file size and quality. It's now the minimum I like to use. 160 used to be OK, but I noticed more bad highs and washed out sound. If it's something I really want to hear better, I use 256kbps.

You are right about higher bitrate=higher quality, and subsequently larger file size. Older MP3 players have limited storage capacity, so you have to find out what still sounds good to *your* ears on *your* gear.

A couple starter links for you if you're inclined to read up:
http://www.mp3-faq.org/tips/encoders.html
http://webhome.idirect.com/~nuzhathl/mp3-faq.html
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Ads wrote:... Maybe the computer experts on the board should set up a course for the computer idiots like myself?! :wink:
ha, can i enroll please? i have 0S9 which is a like a dinosaur already, huh? and my cluelessness doesn't help any.
plus i keep reading roskilde as rockslide :?
Supervim
Known user

Post by Supervim »

Just downloaded it now - took about 1hr 20min. Sounds pretty damn fine
Supervim
gersey
Known user

Post by gersey »

Cheers multi, good stuff! Took me a while to figure out how to download the yoke, but eventually got it by following Ads' posts!
gersey
Known user

Post by gersey »

Sound quality on this is excellent! The singin on 'lord can you hear me' is nearly the best iv ever heard jason do. I wish theyd do that really fast bit at the end of come together on the RAH album alot more, that's about 3 live versions iv heard without it.
Does anyone know another live version of LAGWAFIS, it kinda follows the album version of the song more closely than the rocksilde version here? Its more vocal-based with just jason and the choir for most of it. Iv heard it once before, possibly from a link on this msg board a good few years ago. It must be really hard to sing one of those lines when another lad is singin somethin completely different- i was really crap at that row row row ur boat song in school

Post by Guest »

There is an excellent version of LAGWAFIS from John Peel's Meltdown festival (1997 I think) with a full choir, and featuring the offending 'I can't help falling in love with you' breakdown in the middle.

I cannot convey how hair-raisingly beautiful it is to hear the chior singing this Elvis breakdown, and the crowd roaring their appreciation as they realise what they're hearing. You'll just have to hear it for yourself.

I had the good luck to meet and speak with Jason two years ago. When I told him about this recording, he said the only thing he remembered about it was that it "sounded crap". i respectfully disagreed...

If you're on soulseek, dial me up, username goldberg76, and dowload this show.

cheers, daniel
twinside
Known user

Post by twinside »

ps that was me

daniel x
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I second the appreciation for the meltdown version of ladies and gents.. its one of the most radiantly beautiful things ive heard in my life, and the sound for a bootleg is pristine.

You must beg steal or borrow that whole gig - the only downer in my opinion is an overly busy and elongated Lord can you hear me, but apart from that its everything RAH should of been
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

twinside wrote:ps that was me

daniel x
daniel,
i'm adding you to my 'friends' list on SS. i don't run it all the time.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Daniel, I couldn't see the Meltdown gig in your files on Soulseek...am I looking in the right place?
twinside
Known user

Post by twinside »

hey Ads

i have 2 sets of spiritualized files - the first is just "spiritualized", the second is spiritualized with the R in a circle (y'know, the registered trademark symbol we all know and love). the meltdown gig is in the latter. message me on soulseek when you're on and i'll add u to my friends list and bump u up to the front of my queue,

see ya, daniel x
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

cheers dude that sounds amazing. LAGWAFIS live! Genius. Didnt know it existed. And Electricity is pure madness.
nice one
veep23
Known user

Post by veep23 »

is there anyway on earth someone could put either/both the Roskildde or the Meltdown(especially) onto rapidshare? for the life of me I can't get this "megaupload" to work. maybe it is the crappy connection in Thailand. you could also always do the flac thing over at Archive.org! that would be nice. I'm surprised there isn't any spz over there.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

someone from SPZ needs to authorize the files to be at archive.org. King from the Butthole Surfers contacted them to allow their live recordings to be shared.
veep23
Known user

Post by veep23 »

Wow... that would be great if they say yes. I never knew the differnece between FLAC and mp3 till I went there and dl'd some stuff. There is a BIG difference!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

couldn't they somehow incorporate something on this board where we could download live stuff? (well those of us who know what we're doing - i.e. not me). Was this ever suggested when Ben was looking for ideas for the new site?