Nottingham setlist + review (slight spoiler alert)

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

unkle_karl
Known user

Nottingham setlist + review (slight spoiler alert)

Post by unkle_karl »

Just a quick review.....First off to see Jason playing at the moment is a joy. I didn't see Spz before 97 but I've never seen the band so completely into what they're doing as they are now. I never thought I'd see Jason scream "WAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!" at any point...ever.

So many highlights....Broken Heart was awesome, Smiles/Things'll... was the best ending to any Spz show I've seen so far. Let It Flow was the best part for me (having never seen it performed)....... oh and also This Little Life, the part in the middle where the drums stop on record, well it just went silent, except for the odd scraping of strings, and the strobes went on full blast. It's hard to describe how intensely amazing that was, but you'll have to trust me!

Only let down was that the 1st 3 songs were awesome, then the momentum seemed to be lost with Hold On..but it built up again pretty quickly, and most of the new songs after that were very well received. Cheapster esp sounded really much better than on the album.

Setlist:

Electricity
Shine A Light
Walking With Jesus
Hold On
She Kissed Me
Lord Let It Rain On Me
Oh Baby
Anything More
Cheapster
This Little Life Of Mine
Let It Flow
Never Going Back
Richie Lee
Come Together
Broken Heart
Think I'm In Love
Take Your Time
Smiles/Things'll Never Be The Same

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Did anyone at the Notts gig catch Six By Seven in support? For me they are the great "lost" band of the the last 5 or 6 years, but appear to be on their last legs after being dropped by Mantra, losing members etc. Any comments on them would be appreciated.

It's great to see Spzd playing Let It Flow again, I'm seeing them in Oxford and counting the days.
unkle_karl
Known user

Post by unkle_karl »

I did see six by seven. they used the show as a chance to test new material I think (played IOU Love, So Close, and European Me from albums). European Me sounded especially good. I thought they'd be on their last legs too till I got hold of their new single 'Bochum', it's very good. I think they're planning to release albums only from now on or something (including one in the near future). If you're still interested in them you should check out their website which has had lots of activity recently http://www.sixbyseven.co.uk . I agree though, The Closer You Get is terrific, criminally ignored.
Phillipo
Known user

Six by Seven

Post by Phillipo »

The "Bochum" single was pretty damned smart, and I'm looking forward to see where they go from here. They're one of those bands that'll never ever make it, as such, but if they carry on making solid albums then I'll be chuffed. Shame that they lost the little guitarist fella though, he was canny good....