Wolverhampton Gig

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Alistair
Known user

Wolverhampton Gig

Post by Alistair »

Went to the gig last night - really enjoyed it. The light show was fantastic - made my eyes stream but gave me a big smile! It was kinda like being on a ride at Alton Towers!

The set list was similar to what people have witnessed at other gigs but we got an epic version of Cop Shoot Cop accompanied by some guy with a massive saxophone rather than I Think I'm In Love.
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

yeah, it was a great gig- not as busy as i'd expected but never mind. they also played come together instead of out of sight. great stuff but i think i'd have prefered i think i'm in love to cop shoot cop.

Post by Guest »

Wasn't the saxophonist the guy from the Soledad Brothers?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

just to quote myself from the "Gig Dilemma" thread. . .

Loads of old stuff and good to see Shine A Light, Let It Flow and Take Your Time back on the set list.
They didn't do Think I'm In Love, though, which they did in Nott'm apparently.
Still a good gig though, miles better than the Amazing Grace tour last year despite the morons shouting out "SPACEMAN!!" and "JASON!!" during the quiet bits.
Two hours - ooh me aching back. Can we go back to sitting down at gigs in future, I'm getting old now...
madcap

wolverhampton gig

Post by madcap »

firstly id like to say how amazing the gig was it was definatly one of the best ive seen.it was great to hear the old tracks thrown in aswell.my personal highlights were broken heart,ballad of richie lee and shine a light.the ending to the last track was amazing all the instruments seemed to blend together to form a single note you couldnt pick out the instruments seperatly which blew me away it was fantastic.but i was dissapointed to read the comments made by starfish as i was one of the so called MORONS!who was shouting spaceman.starfish what is your problem u stuck up twat the MORONS were encouraging jason to carry on with his great playing.i can guarantee i probably took more from that gig than anyone in that hall.And whats all this about sitting down at gigs?i dont know what your used to mate but i think u need to get a life and if your going to a see a band as brilliant as spiritualized i think a silent crowd is disrespecting their ability.and i wasnt shouting in the quiet bits i was shouting in between songs.if u dont like a lively crowd stay at home next time.apart from that idiot the gig was excellent thankyou jason!!!for giving me great memories
Spike Armspoon

Wolverhampton Gig

Post by Spike Armspoon »

I have to agree with what all the previous posts state, Jason & co were absolutely astonishing, words fail me to describe what I witnessed that night.

I would say to Jason if I were to meet him to ignore the fact that hardly anybody turned out to see such a life changing band and concentrate on the love from the crowd that did turn up.

This includes the previous post from Madcap, I was there, I saw you shouting with your oasis mate and can only say that I wanted to shout too, but the friends that I was with would probably have moaned about me the way they moaned about you, shouting is to me an expression of the fact that one cannot contain oneself, and in the way the gig presented itself I wanted to shout something, the intensity of it all carried me away, Madcap, I take my ahem... cap off to you, shout on brother, shout on.

Shouting compliments to the band is completly different to heckling, which from what I could hear you were not.

Shout, scream, sit in silence, or dance like a fool, its all ok , take your time, take a breath, its all ok, come on, come together people cos at this rate there aint gonna be many of us left.

Spread the word, shine alight

Jason, you are sorely missed already, come back soon, maybe to birmingham.

Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Hi Madcap,
first of all, welcome to the happy family that is the Spiritualized message board (comes with a warning ... something about opinions may differ from your own, or something)
second of all, the sitting down thing was a joke.
third of all, thanks for putting me right about people in the crowd making a noise over the top of the music. If you say you kept it to within the gaps between the songs, then fair enough, I'll take your word for it. My main gripe was in the lulls, particularly in a new version of WWJ. I wanted to hear the quietness (if that makes sense).
Aint gotta problem with anyone screaming between songs.
fourth of all, is your mate really an oasis mate? (according to Spike)

xxxxxxx
hardhat
New user

Post by hardhat »

Madcap: You genuinely think you shouting out 'Jason' and 'Spaceman' is going to actually improve the gig for everyone else do you? And you genuinely think Jason Pierce is sitting there thinking 'yeah - that guy shouting is really cool'? Seriously - think about it.

I'm not suprised you got more out of the gig than anyone else in the place - you perceived it in an utterly selfish manner and had no regard for other members of the audience. I'd love to know the results if you were somehow able to take a poll of the crowd: 'Do you think the nice chap shouting between the songs improved your enjoyment of tonight's gig?'. If, Madcap, your answer is 'yes' then sadly the moron is none other than yourself. (I may have broken a board rule in that last sentence but there's no escaping idiots is there? oops - did it again)
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

ordinarily i don't care about people shouting stuff at gigs, and i didn't last monday. however, last night i went to a (ahem, scissor sisters) gig and some jesse was shouting right behind me all the way through the gig. the thing that perplexed me was 'how did this guy get so drunk?' as every time i went to the bar it was five deep and it'd take 30 minutes to get served!
madcap

Post by madcap »

first id like to apologise to starfish i seem to have over reacted to your last post.i admit that some people dont agree with shouting of any sort at a gig but hardhat do u think its cool trying to make yourself look big on a message board.do u think spiritualized fans will read your post and think yeah that man trying to make madcap look silly is cool?NO I DIDNT THINK SO EITHER.And do u think being mr hardman "oops im breakin the rules"makes u look clever.does it make you a rebel?do you think people see u "breaking the rules"and think man hes cool.does it make you a real experimental rock god?no i didnt think so.its best if u stay quiet from now on go back to your sad little runnings and let gig goers enjoy there self.now to you starfish as i said earlier sorry for over reacting yeah he was an oasis mate but he is also a massive spiritualized fan!because the wulfren gig was my first time seein spiritualized it seemed to turn ladies and gentlemen into a whole new album for me.sorry about the sitting down remark i didnt realise you were joking.MY FAULT.starfish how long have u been into spiritualized.hardhat how long have u been a prat?(oops i broke the rules)mothers going to kill me.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

First time I saw em was in 1990 when I had longer (and darker) hair and you couldn't take mobile phone photos of gigs and beer was two and six a pint and you only had 4 channels on tv and families used to sit down to dinner together and a five shilling note really meant something and records were released on metal cylinders.
People used to sit down in the early days, mainly because that was how we used to watch the Spacemen, (and Sonic and Jason always used to sit in chairs) but also because there was room to stretch out.
After a while there was less room to sit down, so a few people stood up, so the people sitting down couldn't see, so they stood up as well.
Now Jason's taken to sitting down again, but I doubt the audience will follow.
I'm taking my zimmer frame with me next time...
hardhat
New user

Post by hardhat »

Madcap: You made yourself look silly all on your own by shouting at the gig. No one else's enjoyment is increased by people like you bellowing rubbish.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

not to mention no space after each period.u can take as much space as u need on this board.holla!

Post by Guest »

Give Madcap a break man, he came on this site to express his joy at the gig at Wolves, and all he has been is slated because he commited the serious crime of - wait for it - shouting at a gig.

Does it really matter what is cool and what isnt?

Stick to your guns Madcap, I would rather a responsive crowd at one of my gigs than a retentive bunch of shoegazers, and I dont mean the stoners out there in that group, just the miserablists who want to moan, groan and generally ruin what is a perfect piece of space rock and roll & a good discussion board, granted, I have only posted a couple of replies, but I am shocked at the small mindedness of some people, oh and I hope there are enough spaces between periods in this post.

Im off to listen to the Darkness.

Not really.......
Spike Armspoon

Here Here

Post by Spike Armspoon »

I agree with the above.

Im off to listen to Cheeky Girls.

Really....
Rob shoot Rob

GIG

Post by Rob shoot Rob »

IM OFF TO LISTEN TO STEREOPHONICS.
I HAVE ALL HIS STUFF.
jason_godman
Known user

Post by jason_godman »

I saw the white stripes in Nottingham and there were these 3 women next to me who I reckon could have been on a hen night or something. When 7 nation army was played, one of them was making the guitar sounds really loudly in my ear. I don't think she had any formal beatbox training and I'm sure it was better when Jack White made the sounds with his, erm, guitar.

Anyway, just to add my 5 shillings worth, you can shout all you like between songs. It makes me think of the "go on jason!" on the RAH album.

And starfish; was coke better through a 5 shilling note?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Would have been, 'cept in them days it was cut with asbestos. Of course, they used to keep the broken ones in a special jar and give them away for free.