Nottingham Gig

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

mark
Known user

Nottingham Gig

Post by mark »

Hi,

Has anyone got any spares for the show at face value?, I'm looking for 2

Can you let me know ASAP

Ta

Mark
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Wow! What can I say? Having read all the reviews so far, I thought I was setting myself up for a major disappointment. The venue was ideal, and the setlist identical to the previous gigs mentioned elsewhere on the forum ('Oh Happy Day' appeared on the photocopied setlist, although it wasn't played). IMO Lord Can You Here Me was a perfect ending anyway, especially as we were in a church...

Has Jason had singing lessons? It's the best I've ever heard him sing. 'Amen' took me back to the Blitz in '86. I'd have thought that a song so dependent on heavily fuzzed guitars would never work in an acoustic environment - how wrong I was! Having seen countless Spiz gigs, the Red Rose gig earlier in the year and now this acoustic set, it makes you realise JP's one of our most diverse musicians. Although each of the settings and styles are very different, there's an identical quality and intensity of the experience. And it's that intensity that has always drawn me to Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized (and I doubted would work as an acoustic work).

EVERY song last night gave me goosebumps (never happened before). Several songs had me close to tears. The choice and order of songs was absolutely spot on.

And (just to show my age) I was really pleased that I'd had all this intensity yet my ears weren't ringing and I didn't stink of smoke.

Sublime.

If you get the chance to see this go. Believe the hype. You won't be disappointed.

Pete
emil
New user

Post by emil »

wow, what an experience, what a beauty but still it left me somewhat puzzled ...

what is wrong with you people of Nottingham? if that gig did make you to stand up from your seat a clap for 10 minutes than what would make you to do that? ... are you too lazy, too cool or what ??! I don't understand

Emil
davey
Known user

Post by davey »

Another gig in a church....thats three so far I think. Salisbury, Colchester and now Notts.

Obviously the venues have been carefully chosen. Were any other of the gigs in a church?

I wish it was stii last week, when I was looking forward to the gig. Only a week on, and already its too distant a memory.

HURRY UP WITH THAT LIVE RELEASE PLEASE!!!!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Fantastic setting .... hearing Walking With Jesus, Lord Can You Hear Me, Amen, The Straight And The Narrow, Lord Let It Rain On Me whilst sat on congregational pews (ok chairs) with a pulpit to the left, a crucifix high above and those pictures of saints in the background....

Good points and bad points about the venue though. Did anyone else find 90 minutes sitting on a tiny wooden chair uncomfortable?
Also, THREE toilets for the whole crowd...
Did anyone see those seats with the "Restrictive viewing" warnings on them? Behind a massive pillar? Try "Absolutely no viewing whatsoever"

More good points though... the crowd was totally silent and respectful to the music. No-one talked during the songs and everyone burst into applause at the end of the final note.
I think it may have something to do with the fact that we're all sitting in such a reverential setting and that there was no booze.
(On the downside that may also have effected the absence of whooping and prolonged applause at the end which possibly snubbed out the encore)

About three-quarters of the way through they really hit a peak and the on-stage harmony really got to me.

It's been an emotional week. And I feel so lucky and glad that I made two and quarter of the shows.

I so hope there will be a live album to go with it. I think, as a couple of reviews have said, that JP is about to be appreciated on a much bigger scale.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

and do you think that's the first time someone's used the F word when addressing the congregation in that church?
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Nice one Starfish, after the QEH disaster I'm pleased you got to experience the whole joyous event.

There are tracks to download from QEH in another thread.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
Ali Zed
New user

Post by Ali Zed »

I saw lots of people taking pictures, one guy had a huge lens. Can someone upload their pics please?
Elspeth M Moore
Known user

Post by Elspeth M Moore »

Was anyone else watching the huge cross above the "stage" while Jason sang ,
"You say that Hell's below us, Lord
Heaven can be mine
I don't believe your promises
I don't believe your lies"

...and hoping it wasn't going to topple over - fantastic evening. BUT WHY OH WHY did everyone run off at the end? it was like it was a rush for the pub... who was filming ??? and please editing me crying like a baby at least three times (I was the one on the front row with the blonde platts.)
Random Numbers
Known user

Post by Random Numbers »

Managed to make a recording of the St Mary's Church concert. The quality isn't brilliant given the acoustics of the building, the device used, blah, blah, blah, and there are a few creaky chair sounds, but it's free of distortion. Uploaded the opening song, which I've mistitled Sitting On Fire, when it should be Old Flame or 'what's the title of that opening song?' (thanks Jack White for the correction):

http://www.yousendit.com/download/8VLWowOMp3k%3D

Left in a sample of the respectful silence at the beginning for everyone to savour.
Last edited by Random Numbers on Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh6773
Known user

Post by Josh6773 »

Wow. It's a wonderful recording. Would you be willing to share the rest so that those if us over the USA can enjoy?

Cheers.
Random Numbers
Known user

Post by Random Numbers »

I'm sure someone's got a better recording, and let's hope there will be an official release given the discussion in a couple of other threads. Here's track 2, Devil Town followed by Lord Let It Rain On Me.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/8VLsLwMvQa8%3D
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Thanks so much Random Numbers. I've been singing Siting On Fire s :D ince the gig on Monday.
vincentvega
New user

Post by vincentvega »

These recordings sound brilliant - can we get anymore?

LAGWAFIS and Lord can you hear me were amazing.

Thought the gig was spell binding.

It's amazing what a church does to people - everyone was so well behaved!

I thought it was one of the best gigs I have ever been to.
heyman
Known user

Post by heyman »

Finally get to see the man & wondering if justice would be done seeing him doing an acoustic set when I'd waited over 10 years to have the opportunity (incarceration and dependancy) I now realise i was a fool to doubt such a man.

words can't describe it fully for me, the venue, atmosphere & sheer appreciation for one of the most talented musicians around who I've related to for many years through similar experiences & haven't stopped thinking about it & singing particular songs (hey man, the straight & the narrow, ladies & gentlemen....) Just wanna say chers J, an honour being in the same room.

Gutting thing was I contemplated bringing the camcorder & due to a couple of cans & a fat reefa decided to leave in car thinking I wouldn't get a chance to film or get photo's!!!! Totally gutted so if anyone took pics or footage & could send i'd appreciate
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

thats awesome man ^
shame about the camcorder stuff, but it's no biggie when you consider i wasnt even there! :x :P

cheers for the recordings random numbers. the quality is much better than i was expecting - its actually really, really good i think. sitting on fire (though it'll probably always be old flame to me) is as incredible once again. cheers!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Brilliant recordings Random. Really captures the atmosphere and how quiet the audience were - the surroundings made a massive difference.
Can't wait to hear more if you got em...
Random Numbers
Known user

Post by Random Numbers »

Starfish and others - thanks for your kind words about the recordings. Watch this thread as more links may appear. I've passed a copy to They Transmit who on this rather fine day is stuck in a studio somewhere coaxing out qualities in the recording. Despite his skills, it still remains a bootleg recording and therefore of bootleg quality, and vastly inferior to anything that may be officially released. We're mere fans, and like you want to appreciate a rather special evening all over again by sharing these recordings. If there is an official CD or DVD then buy two copies for yourself, plus one for your Mum, as there are artists who need to make a living. We don't want to annoy the concert organisers, record label or the artists, so if anyone does object, please let us know.
jpbowman
Known user

Post by jpbowman »

Hi all, this truly was a amazing gig, like others, i had built it up prior to the the gig but it definately lived upto my high expectations!
I also recorded the gig, the quality is pretty similar to the other recording posted, heres Cool Waves....

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ardency/Musi ... 0Waves.mp3

Fingers crossed for the official recording!
Random Numbers
Known user

Post by Random Numbers »

A few recollections.

Firstly, an enormous thank you to the organisers both at the NOW festival and St Mary's Church for being so instrumental in this special event. The setting added an extra dimension to the songs, especially Lord Can You Hear Me?, which you wouldn't have had at other Nottingham venues such as The Lakeside or the Royal Concert Hall. Also praise has to be heaped upon everyone else there, for applause apart there was reverential silence.

Secondly, when the interplay between strings, piano, guitar and vocals came together such as in Amen, it really worked, and I can understand how others cried or had goosebumps.

But, for all it's pluses as a venue, it was a very low stage, and so goodness knows what those sat further back could see. Also, there was the opportunity to do more. Yes there was a mixture of new songs, back catalogue and cover versions, but everyone's roles were more or less the same each time except for Hold On which was Jason and Doggen alone. It would have been more varied to let the strings, singers or piano take the lead once in a while, such as with an instrumental or gospel version of a song. If this is a one-off tour with this set-up, then it would have been even better to take one or two risks and try such reinterpretations.

As for a dream venue, how about the Concert Hall at Vooruit in Gent. It's quite splendid, the sound is perfect, and with very comfortable seats: http://www.vooruit.be/info/podiumtechniek/
harmonia
Known user

Post by harmonia »

Firstly - many many thanks Random Things & anyone else who has posted tracks from the recent shows. For those who couldn't make them it's a taste of how special they were. I was at the Nottingham one and I'm just so glad I made the effort to travel. A night I'll remember for a long time. The tracks you've posted so far sound pretty damn good to me RT, for bootlegs. I'd be eternally grateful if you would post the rest of the stuff you recorded - highlight for me on the night was 'Stop Your Crying'. And to whoever mentioned it - those seats were really fucking uncomfortable, I had cramps after about an hour. Worth it though :shock:
harmonia
Known user

Post by harmonia »

I meant Random Numbers :oops:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

were they not pews? :(
Random Numbers
Known user

Post by Random Numbers »

They were seats. Dim the lights, play some Spiritualized songs, and recreate the experience with the view from the stage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/360/vie ... rior.shtml

Don't click on this link if you get dizzy easily. :wink:
jpbowman
Known user

Post by jpbowman »

heyman
Known user

Post by heyman »

just listened n' i'm back there, seriously cheers rondom numbers
heyman
Known user

Post by heyman »

think i got whatever it is goin round...............cheers RANDOM NUMBERS!!!
harmonia
Known user

Post by harmonia »

Thanks so much people - I think the quality's fine, it probably helped that it was acoustic instruments. I thought the sound on the night was fantastic, I was a bit worried it would bounce around a bit but it was really full and powerful. Did anybody else clock the look on the face of one of the string players when Jason sang the first 'fuck' on one of the new ones. It was like "language Timothy".
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

Random Numbers wrote: We don't want to annoy the concert organisers, record label or the artists, so if anyone does object, please let us know.

the tour was organised by anton lockwood, the promoter at nottingham rock city / rescue rooms etc, i believe.