QEH video and pics

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Grea stuff many thanks for these, great vids!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

cheers for the vids/pics also :)
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Thats Top Stuff! Thanks a bunch! :D :D :D Now, has anyone got any Mp3s of The Straight And The Narrow?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

very nice of you, thanks!
davey
Known user

Post by davey »

Thank you
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Those pics are great! nice one!
G*
Known user

Post by G* »

Top stuff, great pictures. Thanks. That's a gig that'll be in my mind's eye for years.
dougie2027
Known user

Post by dougie2027 »

Can you please repost the vids - they have expired at yousendit
thanks
dougie
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dougie2027 wrote:Can you please repost the vids - they have expired at yousendit
thanks
dougie
Yeah - sorry for missing the initial post but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could get these on yousendit or such like...but yousendit would be better as you can download all 3 at once!

The pics themselves look beautiful - are they DV image grabs or photos?

Cheers, G.

PS Doggen clearly has his Fender Rhodes mic'd up to an amp (though I'm sure you can DI straight from another output (depending on the model) - seems a curious way of recording, has anyone spoken to the band about the tech side of things?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:[

PS Doggen clearly has his Fender Rhodes mic'd up to an amp (though I'm sure you can DI straight from another output (depending on the model) - seems a curious way of recording, has anyone spoken to the band about the tech side of things?
lol that's called eye for detail!!!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

mojo filters wrote:PS Doggen clearly has his Fender Rhodes mic'd up to an amp (though I'm sure you can DI straight from another output (depending on the model) - seems a curious way of recording, has anyone spoken to the band about the tech side of things?
There is what looks like a DI in the second picture, just to the right of the right foldback wedge. More than likely he's DI'ing straight into the desk, but also linking back to the amp - I always play like this primarily because it gives extra monitor, something that you generally don't get a lot of as a keyboard player. Doggen has his own wedges there, though, and the amp is miked, so it's most likely that he likes the sound of the Fender through that particular amp (also a Fender?) and wants a certain mix of "wet" and "dry" through the desk.
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ash wrote:
mojo filters wrote:PS Doggen clearly has his Fender Rhodes mic'd up to an amp (though I'm sure you can DI straight from another output (depending on the model) - seems a curious way of recording, has anyone spoken to the band about the tech side of things?
There is what looks like a DI in the second picture, just to the right of the right foldback wedge. More than likely he's DI'ing straight into the desk, but also linking back to the amp - I always play like this primarily because it gives extra monitor, something that you generally don't get a lot of as a keyboard player. Doggen has his own wedges there, though, and the amp is miked, so it's most likely that he likes the sound of the Fender through that particular amp (also a Fender?) and wants a certain mix of "wet" and "dry" through the desk.
That sounds about right, I see the DI box. I'm sure a Fender Rhodes outputs a stereo signal, presumably for the vibrato effect. I'd be interested to lnow what sort of amp it is - quite possibly a Fender like you say, maybe a sought-after 70's twin with that distinctive reverb? Don't know whether they ever made fuller range keyboard versions, though you never know - a guitar amp might make great, unique 'wet' sound.

Lucky you for having a proper keyboard amp - when I played keys in bands I was usually sharing a monitor (with no amp) with one guitar and at least one other track, unless we had to do our own monitoring - then I used bits of my own smallish PA which was even more of a pain, with the mixer balancing precariously on the amp which was likewise on a speaker! My 8 channel mixer was reduced to 6 after a few knocks etc.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

mojo filters wrote:Lucky you for having a proper keyboard amp - when I played keys in bands I was usually sharing a monitor (with no amp) with one guitar and at least one other track, unless we had to do our own monitoring - then I used bits of my own smallish PA which was even more of a pain, with the mixer balancing precariously on the amp which was likewise on a speaker! My 8 channel mixer was reduced to 6 after a few knocks etc.
Ouch, nasty! I don't know what I'd do without some form of separated foldback.

I don't actually have a "proper" keyboard amp - I use a Hiwatt bass amp, which gives a really lovely tone (although it doesn't help at all if you're trying to cut through at the top end!) and plays friendly with all the fx - mostly reverb - I like to use.

(Just got a new Boss rack-mount reverb unit in the post this morning, which should make things even more interesting...)
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ash wrote:Ouch, nasty! I don't know what I'd do without some form of separated foldback.
Indeed it was far from ideal, however having previously played electric fiddle in a band I was used to having to deal with poor monitoring - for the fiddle the feedback issue (didn't have the fancy EQ devices to eliminate feedback from a seperate monitoring device) made it hard - generally the best way of hearing myself was at small venues where I could walk off the stage and listen through the PA itself, but I played many a gig where I couldn't properly hear myself!

In fact it wasn't so hard for the keyboard as there's not the same tuning issue as with the fiddle, but played more than once where I literally couldn't hear myself at all (even though I could at the soundcheck, which was always weird) and had to rely on listening to the rest of the band when knocking out bluesy chords and riffs, but it was awful for the supposedly easier bits where I just twiddled knobs controlling various parameters to make spacey analogue sounds in time with the song. Still seemed to go down well with those who could hear it, though I think I owe more credit to the instrument itself and having fought with the sound engineer to get an extra DI box so I got the full stereo effect as that made a real difference.
ragmop
Known user

Post by ragmop »

the amp used at QEH was a fender not sure which model as I could only see the back of the amp. I can tell you it only had 1 speaker, i'd guess at 12"? The amp was probley similar if not the same as the one jason used for the 'back in your town' jazz stuff earlier in the year.
Hope this helps :)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ragmop wrote:the amp used at QEH was a fender not sure which model as I could only see the back of the amp. I can tell you it only had 1 speaker, i'd guess at 12"? The amp was probley similar if not the same as the one jason used for the 'back in your town' jazz stuff earlier in the year.
If it was 1 x 12" could be the Deluxe Reverb guitar amp, or if it had a 15" speaker could be the Twin Custom which is essentially the very famous Twin Reverb but with extra bass depth from the 15", which would make more sense if used with an electric piano like the Rhodes. On the other hand it's probably some obscure model, never reissued or revered particularly, but has just the right tubes and speaker combo to make something special from a 'wet' Rhodes output!

I think a challenge is in order to identify this mysterious amp, and also to find out what quality the amp'd output has when mic'd up that adds to the beautiful DI'd output of probably the finest analogue electric piano I know of!
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Hey everyone,
I always try to send stuff to people when they need it. I missed the video file before it expired and would like to see it, or even an audio of the whole show. If someone could help out, I have all kinds of mp3s I can send you or whatever. Thanks.
d
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ragmop wrote:the amp used at QEH was a fender not sure which model as I could only see the back of the amp. I can tell you it only had 1 speaker, i'd guess at 12"? The amp was probley similar if not the same as the one jason used for the 'back in your town' jazz stuff earlier in the year.
Had a good look at both Sage and Edinbugh - was badged Fender Champ but had at least 10" speaker - looked old/used so I maybe they used to make othe Champ models rather than the current cheap guitar one, but you never know how such combinations can work when mixed up so could be the guitar model.