Spiritualized - 1992 - 05 - 10 - Town & Country Club

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

dselevan
Known user

Spiritualized - 1992 - 05 - 10 - Town & Country Club

Post by dselevan »

good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Keep 'em coming, kid.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I'll post one, as long as other people are posting shows that I am enjoying. If people get lazy and stop posting things, I'm not going to bother. I think we could easily post all the shows Spiritualized ever played, but I'm not sure. I'd really like to see the video of the Whiskey in LA if anyone can get ahold of it..........anyway I'll keep posting these since they are just collecting dust on my computer..
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

downloading now, thanks a lot. afraid i dont have much new stuff to post but i am in possesion of a vhs copy (now fixed after some time being broken and stored away, until i met someone i could trust to fix it) of the glasto 98 vid that was getting played on RAH promo tour. its 4 songs. will be converting to dvd shortly and i promise to distribute it freely.
squoggy
Known user

Gigs

Post by squoggy »

As a late starter into Spiritualized, I wanna thank you guys for these gigs putting up on here...

Only seen SPZ twice live (once last week at Salford) and have no live stuff so this stuff is v. much appreciated.

If I had any good stuff to put up for download then I would, but cheers for doing these gigs as SPZ live are fckn great....

Simon..
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

The live video from Glasto would be great.

I'm going to post an amazing show from Slims in 1995. It will blow your minds.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:The live video from Glasto would be great.
I would love to get that too - can convert VHS to avi etc, but the quality usually isn't too good from experience, whether it's native format is PAL or NTSC :?
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I can convert too. I used to have this video for MTV2 in the UK which became a Spiritualized Arista promo video that all the record shops had in the back. They played Medication live, but I wonder what happened to the rest of the set? This was Spiritualized in their prime and it would be really cool to see the whole set.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

i have a few old vhs tapes (ntsc) of gigs that i never had the time or ability to transfer to dvd. if anyone can do this and is willing i am more than happy to send you the tapes. have to be sometime in january and i am not sure exactly where they are but i should be able to find them. 2 i know i have are:

The Rave, Milwaukee, WI, November 18, 1997
Cotton Club, Atlanta, GA, December 10, 1997
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

dselevan wrote:I'll post one, as long as other people are posting shows that I am enjoying. If people get lazy and stop posting things, I'm not going to bother.
I ain't d/l'ing none of it (got a harddrive full to exploding point here), just so you know this isn't being said out of self interest -- but, I'd encourage you to post whatever you have regardless of whatever anyone else is doing. The altruism is it's own reward, believe that. Better not to withdraw, but rather to drive on and combat any apathy you might encounter with a high chin and steely awareness of your own mission.

Just my take, feel free to write it off as bullshit. Great work anyway, man.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Ok, I'll upload all of it.

And to the person with the VHS tapes, my computer has software that is supposedly for converting these to DVDs. I haven't done it, but it seems really easy and I would definately try, unless someone else wants to do it. It would be cool to see these
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote: The altruism is it's own reward, believe that. Better not to withdraw, but rather to drive on and combat any apathy you might encounter with a high chin and steely awareness of your own mission.

i like that. it actually sounds like something Mr Jackson might have said in Pulp Fiction. Steely Awareness of your Own mission. Like it. Now I just need to find a mission. Or perhpas a quest.
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

I've been out of touch with traders and things as of late. i would love to help the cause by torrenting anything that I come across, I hope the original sharers do not mind?
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

dselevan wrote:Ok, I'll upload all of it.

And to the person with the VHS tapes, my computer has software that is supposedly for converting these to DVDs. I haven't done it, but it seems really easy and I would definately try, unless someone else wants to do it. It would be cool to see these
dude, sounds like a plan. however, as this vhs is fairly precious, i would really appreciate it if you could give your software a bash first
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

yes, see if you can do it first. i tried a couple years ago, even bought some capture device thingy and it just didn't work. i also have a nice tape of verve from 95 if anyone is interested in converting.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I've got an SVHS machine with TBC (time base correction) on its way to me, in hopes that it will make my video capture setup better. Old generated tapes have too many signal drops & make DV capture impossible.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

davedecay wrote:I've got an SVHS machine with TBC (time base correction) on its way to me, in hopes that it will make my video capture setup better. Old generated tapes have too many signal drops & make DV capture impossible.
In my experience there's very few SVHS about, but I don't think the TBC works on native VHS recordings played on that machine as I think it's part of the extra initial SVHS capture, though I might well be wrong, so good luck with that!

More common is a semi-pro/pro Sony Betamax, but still, like you say signal gaps etc make conversions usually look worse if anything, once converted to a DV format...plus who has a Betamax!?!.

I daresay there's some good software to smooth out those glitches knocking about but I don't know of any. In my experience straight DV capture from decent looking analogue sources never make for good digital footage...hang on to your old vcr machines folks :!:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

well the Panasonic AG-1970 has the TBC built in.
here's what i read about TBC:
http://www.videomaker.com/article/1210/
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

davedecay wrote:well the Panasonic AG-1970 has the TBC built in.
here's what i read about TBC:
http://www.videomaker.com/article/1210/
Sounds promising, almost like an analogue upscaler - maybe there's some bargain old studio kit knocking around on eBay to let you correct the luminace/chominence etc editing kit too, though that article sounds like your Panasonic can make good a lot of old VHS tapes...you're probably lucky to be getting one! Does the output image get upscaled to SVHS H-line output?

From the info in your link it sounds like all these corrections need to be done in the analogue domain (although clearly using digital tech like the buffer) before you can stat meddling with pure DV :!:
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Sounds exciting, you guys are talking now...We've been passing around tapes and now CDs and mp3s for a decade now, but I've never seen digital video available for download which would be great. Spiritualized are an audio/visual experience.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

well, i'll use the S-video (SVHS) output directly to the DV bridge (datavideo dac-100) since it carries the best analogue signal quality, better than the RCA option. then from the dac-100 over Firewire to one of my Macs, probably the MacBook Pro since it's the fastest & has the most free drive space. :D
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

davedecay wrote:well, i'll use the S-video (SVHS) output directly to the DV bridge (datavideo dac-100) since it carries the best analogue signal quality, better than the RCA option. then from the dac-100 over Firewire to one of my Macs, probably the MacBook Pro since it's the fastest & has the most free drive space. :D
I've actually got a S-Video socket on my current laptop. but assume it's just for outputting rather than any other function...never investigated it :?

Once you've sent the signal from your A/D converter how much disc space is, for example, is 1 hour's footage going to take up?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I have a video tape of spz in glastonbury 92ish. for years I've meant to convert and share. but being a dad means I get little time to spend messing about with technology. Would be happy to pass on to someone with the skills and the time for it to be shared, so long I get it back at some point. Really, i don't even have a video recorder anymore. So it doesn't exactly get much play.
burdman72
Known user

Post by burdman72 »

I've got an SVHS machine with TBC (time base correction), which is powered by little leprechauns running round on a magic wheel of time, this also has extra initial SVHS capture, last week I captured a small alien called Brian and I am refusing to let him go til his home planet coughs up a billion squarks. But back to my machine, it sounds promising, almost like an analogue upscaler (which I was trying to use on my kettle til someone, think it was Brian, told me I needed a descaler). Anyway maybe there's some bargain old studio kit knocking around on eBay to let me correct the wibble function. I'll just use the S-video (SVHS) output directly to the DV bridge in Bristol (datavideo Commodore dac-64) since it carries the best demagogue signal quality, better than the MFI option. then from the dac-ZX Spectrum over Firewire to one of my macs, probably the MacBook Pro since it's the fastest & has the most free drive space of all my drive spaces, I have seven and a half, will this work?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

sorry. please speak English. Are you volunteering to convert?
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

This will be awesome. Good work gentelmen. I'll try to find the MTV 120 minutes thing from my folks house. It has an interview and Medication.

"If you could fill your studio with anything you wanted, what would it be?" Jason rubs his eyes..

"I'd rather not answer that question. Do I have to answer that?"
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:This will be awesome. Good work gentelmen. I'll try to find the MTV 120 minutes thing from my folks house. It has an interview and Medication.

"If you could fill your studio with anything you wanted, what would it be?" Jason rubs his eyes..

"I'd rather not answer that question. Do I have to answer that?"
If you find it, will you share the interview and the medication :wink:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

mojo filters wrote:Once you've sent the signal from your A/D converter how much disc space is, for example, is 1 hour's footage going to take up?
Every 5 minutes of footage takes roughly 1 GB of hard disk space.
So, 1 hour = ~20 GB.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

davedecay wrote:
mojo filters wrote:Once you've sent the signal from your A/D converter how much disc space is, for example, is 1 hour's footage going to take up?
So, 1 hour = ~20 GB.
= 2 hours on my current machine if I wiped iTunes library etc....maybe I'll leave it to the experts until I get round to attaching some sort of outboard HD.

Do you need to double that to cache when authoring DVDs?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

mojo filters wrote:
davedecay wrote:
So, 1 hour = ~20 GB.
= 2 hours on my current machine if I wiped iTunes library etc....maybe I'll leave it to the experts until I get round to attaching some sort of outboard HD.

Probably depends on how much editing you are doing. I doubt it would double.

Sadly, the AG-1970 that arrived has a video problem, so I'm sending it back to the seller. :( Now watching more machines on eBay... the JVC HR-S9500U or HR-S9600U are good ones. the AG-1980 has better TBC, but those sell for a lot more.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

davedecay wrote:
mojo filters wrote:
davedecay wrote:
So, 1 hour = ~20 GB.

Probably depends on how much editing you are doing. I doubt it would double.

Sadly, the AG-1970 that arrived has a video problem, so I'm sending it back to the seller. :( Now watching more machines on eBay... the JVC HR-S9500U or HR-S9600U are good ones. the AG-1980 has better TBC, but those sell for a lot more.
Good luck getting your SVHS!

Usually when I've authored DVDs Nero needs to have enough HD space as the original files themselves to cache before burning...hence I prefer DivX (or SVCD) for making discs to play in my DVD machine, as those formats don't massively increase the file size of a normal avi-type file.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

If I get my old Spiritualized promo video from my folks house, I'll give it to one of you to convert to DVD. I don't know where it would be but I think I could find it. It might even be here who knows.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Does anyone know the location of the Town and Country Club from this show is from?

I know there is a Stone Roses bootleg from "Leeds Town and Country Club".

Is this the same?
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

SpaceLine wrote:i have a few old vhs tapes (ntsc) of gigs that i never had the time or ability to transfer to dvd. if anyone can do this and is willing i am more than happy to send you the tapes. have to be sometime in january and i am not sure exactly where they are but i should be able to find them. 2 i know i have are:

The Rave, Milwaukee, WI, November 18, 1997
Cotton Club, Atlanta, GA, December 10, 1997
so anyone want to do this that knows how for certain? offer is still open. i have at least 2 vhs shows on tape and i'll also send along all the dvd and other assorted video files i have(rah promo, world trade center 98 gig, bunch of tv shows, interviews, couple japanese gigs, etc). maybe get it all merged onto a couple of dvds and then setup a trading tree here?
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I can do this. Just transferred MTV to HP 1070n using Audio Input in the back and Composite input in the front. Nero Vision Express for menus and titles. PM me for my address.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:I can do this. Just transferred MTV to HP 1070n using Audio Input in the back and Composite input in the front. Nero Vision Express for menus and titles. PM me for my address.
Was it from a video? Shame you couldn't find an S-VHS player as a composite signal isn't going to look too good when digitally rendered.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Actually, it looks just as good as the VHS tape. Neither one are fantastic, but that is the way that Arista released it...a low quality VHS tape. Don't ask me why. Now I don't think I'll buy a special VHS player to do conversions but if someone has an extra lying around I'll take it. I do have S-Video inputs on my computer. Basically, the original and my DVD look about the same. I think the DVD is better because the tape will get worse and worse with time.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:Actually, it looks just as good as the VHS tape. Neither one are fantastic, but that is the way that Arista released it...a low quality VHS tape. Don't ask me why. Now I don't think I'll buy a special VHS player to do conversions but if someone has an extra lying around I'll take it. I do have S-Video inputs on my computer. Basically, the original and my DVD look about the same. I think the DVD is better because the tape will get worse and worse with time.
Well if it looks as good as the VHS you can't complain. I've got a S-Video socket on mine, but I don't know if it's for input or just to output to a projector, screen etc that doesn't accept VGA...is your's part of the graphics card's socketry, and do you need some software to decrypt the signal which can't be native to PCs?

As for DVDs I'd have assumed you were right, but I read something worrying in the paper last week about data degredation over time on DVDrs which is a little worrying when I've over 100 of them with archived films, tv & music etc on them. I don't know anyone that's had any issues like that with DVDrs, but if it happens over time what might happen to my precious collections of Futurama, South Park etc :?:
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Well I got a new VCR today. Not a fancy one. I find the coaxal looks and sounds better than the fancy composite outputs. go figure
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:Well I got a new VCR today. Not a fancy one. I find the coaxal looks and sounds better than the fancy composite outputs. go figure
Surely to use the co-ax output you need an rf reciever on your pc? If so an rf signal via co-ax is bound to look better than composite rendering.