Has anyone met Spiritualized?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

red
New user

Has anyone met Spiritualized?

Post by red »

Met them at the Aberdeen gig. Had a few beers with them and they are good blokes. Also got my setlist signed by J although he signed it Spaceman.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have met all incarnations of Spiritualized. Sean Cook really pissed me off. "I reckon this is the worst city I have ever seen" (re: Detroit)was his comment while driving them to my record shop. While many on this board would say he is right, you still dont say that to someone who lives there.
Jason is usually very gracious. Though he was a certified asshole last time they came through town. Way to full of himself and very under the influence of something. Wouldn't sign a US promo poster for AG. Until I told him I am not buying a 4th copy of AG for him to sign. The rest of the band seem like they are just along for the ride.
Jason always signs "Spaceman" sometimes with an upside down ? as a J.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

the boys were in great form when we met them, about midday on a saturday. i had smoked a bit of spliff, so good moods were all around. we spoke with them for awhile, thighpaulsandra, is quite funny and echoboy is a bit of a charactor. as for jason, he is really soft spoken and mellow, we got on brilliantly. and thats how it went.

xxxshonnxxx
tpth
New user

Post by tpth »

I was supposed to interview Jason but had to turn it down at the last minute because of tedious work commitments :S
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

I met the guys back at that gig for charity, when i won the tickets on ebay *grin*

Everyone had told me what a knob Jason was supposed to be but my friend and i found him lovely :)
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

i met him before the cleveland gig this year when i went real early. the soledads were warming up and i was waiting at the gate to be let in. i was by myself, very bored when none other than jason himself walks to the ticket counter and asks to be let in. i had to say something...

"Jason?"
"yeah"
"Just want to say i'm a huge fan...keep doing what you do."

i shook his hand and he said, "well, this gig is going to be awesome tonight."

he went in and the show was incredible.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Met him during the AG Tour where the tour bus was parked right in front of the venue and the Soledad Bros.were rocking away. Beers were cheaper across the street and plus I really wasn't into seeing the opening act when at the venue Jason was talking to some folks on the steps of the tour bus. I approached him and gave him a writing pen that looks like a syringe filled in the middle w/ red dye to look like blood. He said, " smashing, that is something I have been looking for some time. " He then signed my Perfect Prescription cd cover. I then met him again the next day during an in-store record performance and signing ...
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

yes

they've all been very nice to me
Jigme

Met the band

Post by Jigme »

spzretent wrote:I have met all incarnations of Spiritualized. Sean Cook really pissed me off. "I reckon this is the worst city I have ever seen" (re: Detroit)was his comment while driving them to my record shop. While many on this board would say he is right, you still dont say that to someone who lives there.
Wow, I have more respect for Sean Cook now! Fantastic.

I met the band at an in store in Austin. Very cool. Jason and John Coxon seemed a little detached from the rest of the group, but I'm sure i'm just reading into things.

Re: Met the band

Post by Guest »

Jigme wrote: Jason and John Coxon seemed a little detached from the rest of the group, but I'm sure i'm just reading into things.
No no, that will be the DRUGS.
the son of tc lethbridge

something else to ponder over

Post by the son of tc lethbridge »

is it me or do keane sound like ultravoc circa vienna?
wife bought the lp the other day and i was humming vienna to nearly everyone track!
something to ponder over there for you all!
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Met the band

Post by spzretent »

Jigme wrote: Wow, I have more respect for Sean Cook now! Fantastic.
It takes an asshole to respect one.
orange *96

Post by orange *96 »

:evil:

Depends on which version, the proper version or the session musician versions.

Met all the real lot, but the session blokes, well they are so anonymous, Pretty much like Jas I suppose...

Dream Weapons a great little read.
lemhawklord
Known user

Post by lemhawklord »

yeah so fucking what,
and I'm talking early daze,
in old blitey
If you want to get into it you've got to get out of it
ninhalo4teen
Known user

SPZ, What a group

Post by ninhalo4teen »

Me and a friend met them in a show in DC in which they
played for one of the first time, some of the Amazing Grace
songs (this is before the release date). It was in this
horrible club on the outskirts of town but after the show we
stuck around to see if we could just catch a glimpse and
Kev ended up letting us up to a little back room where the
band was catching some down time after the show.
We met everyone in the band and got all their signitures on a
vinyl cover. I couldnt believe when Thighp and Jason made
us listen to the new album (about a month before it was
released) and jason told us about the whole philosophy
behind the album. I couldnt beleive how nice they all were
on top of their extrodinary music abilities.
SRvdL
Known user

Post by SRvdL »

re: "Maybe they don't have the eye-candy-factor of LADY ASHCROFT, but you were never gonna shag her were you?"

Sorry, am getting a bit sick of the misogynist factor on this board. Would you write about male musicians like this?
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

YES.

IN FACT, MOST MALE MUSICIANS ARE LIKE DOGS.

Post by Guest »

Agent Orange wrote:YES.

IN FACT, MOST MALE MUSICIANS ARE LIKE DOGS.
Snoopy Doggy Dog
Howlin Wolf
Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
Dogs D'amour
Doberman
Bark Psychosis
Iggy (now I wanna be your dog)
Dogtown Rhythm
Toto

By golly! you're right!
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Q. How many sexists doies it take to change a light bulb?

A. None - Let the bitch cook in the dark.

For all the mysogynists out there. Bullshit. Stop bein so damn touchy missus.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that Saddam Hussein is to be given the death penalty but the bad news is that David Beckam is going to take it!
a beautiful noise
Known user

haha, i'm telling your missus you talk like that.

xxxshonnxxx
Leggy Mountbatten
Known user

Post by Leggy Mountbatten »

SRvdL wrote:re: "Maybe they don't have the eye-candy-factor of LADY ASHCROFT, but you were never gonna shag her were you?"

Sorry, am getting a bit sick of the misogynist factor on this board. Would you write about male musicians like this?
Spot on...I don't know when this place became like a fucking infant school.

Mind you, Kate's always had her knockers. :oops:
SRvdL
Known user

Post by SRvdL »

Oh dear. And I never meant to make you all so nervous.

But I’m glad you can cling to each other for support.

And, you know, there is professional help out there – for free. Better still, you don’t need to ask your parents’ permission when you call the ChildLine on 0800 1111. :lol:
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

So do die-hard spiritualized fans not like Kate or something? I think I read somewhere she was involved in the Spacemen 3 breakup in some small way, but I doubt it.

I thought her keyboards were cool-much more prominent than in recent spz records anyway.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

radioshack wrote: I think I read somewhere she was involved in the Spacemen 3 breakup in some small way, but I doubt it.
wasn't it like Kember's inside-the-band-law not to bring any girlfriends along to the tour. and maybe Pierce "broke" that law....

both boys were heavily into music and then suddenly one of them gets addicted to a girl. makes sense that that could make one side of the band.... bitter.
no need to break-up the band though.
a beautiful noise
Known user

hey, kates all right in my book. bring her back i say. would bring a nice tension back to jasons life.

xxxshonnxxx
Crystaline
New user

In case this topic has some substance left to it

Post by Crystaline »

I met the whole gang in Nagoya earlier this year.

First met Kevin at the bar after the show, and he was totally cool, told me I HAD to meet Jason (mentioned my 1st SPZ show was Rollercoaster) then went back stage and Sean comes up; "Hey! Wanna beer?" Doggen was really cool drinking with us, chatting up Mrs's for a while, while I was swapping stories with Paddy, the Light-guy (fuckin cool guy if you ever get a chance to meet him!).
Went into the back room and lo'& behold, was Jason! Chewing on his fingers, a similar nervous trait I also share. He gave me a pretty hard look for a while, I guess many jerk-offs come back stage after gigs and, to him, I could have been one, too. But he spoke up first; Where you from? I mentioned Toronto, said he loved the Opera House. Second question; Got any drugs?
The saddest moment in my life, I said No. I had a buddy in the pen and everyone was scared off for the time. I still feel bad about it, cause when I met Sonic in Ottawa in '97 I took him to my dealer's pad and we had a fuckin great time before, during and after the show ( I swear, the 4 of us put away 2 ounces! Plus a nice baggie of shrooms :twisted: ).
But I chatted with Jason, who was just very cool. We chatted for a good 20 minutes. I asked him for a pic, he looked at me, then said Sure. It was unfortunately taken while I was smirking about the wife's "Say Cheese!" and latter printed in April's NME with a very unflattering comment about him; which I wish to correct here.
He is not a "very dark person", he was very nice too us (well, he took a small bite out of the wife for a off-the-cuff comment she made, but that was really minor as he was really kind and the wife is really turned off drugs; Oil and watter).

Maybe too much detail, but this moment still swirls around and around as alive as ever.

8)
Between thought and experience lies a lifetime
apesgrapes
Known user

Post by apesgrapes »

met J in middlesbrough after a gig at the crypt, then later in some fancy cafe in london the day of the gig when they filmed the Run video. thats me at the front standing, most people sat. i probably seemed soooooo non-london. J rang me once aswell, after I sent him a (ahem) demo tape. a really nice fella.