Last night

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

jesus son
Known user

Last night

Post by jesus son »

Nice set last night, exactly the same set up as Acoustic Mainlines, about 8 songs including the new one "Hurricane In My Veins" (or whatever he ends up calling it) and ending with the "I Can't Help.." sequence. Sorry can't remember the sequence of the set list but included, Cool Waves, Walking With Jesus, Lord Let It Rain On Me, Stop Your Crying, True Love Will Find You In The End

Bit of an indifferent reaction but then again not really a Spiritualized type audience. Horribly harsh lighting and pretty good sound quality.

Hope those going to Brixton tonight or tomorrow have a great time, just don't expect any surprises...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i take it it was the massive attack thing? how were massive attack? it venue sounds very un'acoustic mainline'. i'm just so happy to have seen it in a small intimate venue
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

bunnyben wrote:i take it it was the massive attack thing? how were massive attack? it venue sounds very un'acoustic mainline'. i'm just so happy to have seen it in a small intimate venue
The venue definately wasn't the most ideal for Acoustic Mainlines, then again it's probably one of my least favourite venues in the country! I have to confess that I really like Massive Attack and contrary to popular belief think they have got better with every album. I've seen them live four or five times in the last two years and they always deliver a really dynamic show and incredible lighting, they do have have a habit of playing of their dullest material in the middle of the set though, last night was no exception, but they still went down a storm.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

bunnyben wrote:i take it it was the massive attack thing? how were massive attack? it venue sounds very un'acoustic mainline'. i'm just so happy to have seen it in a small intimate venue

Massive Attack were stunning, Spaceman was not so stunning and that's all down to the venue. Brixton will be a lot better.

I heard a new MA song last night, the first one they did, and it was brilliant. Here's the set-list for Massive Attack, from off their forum...

False Flags
Risingson
Black Milk Redux
Man Next Door
Karma Coma
Butterfly Caught
Hymn of the Big Wheel
Mezzanine
Teardrop
Angel
Future Proof
Safe From Harm

Inertia Creeps
Unfinished Sympathy
Group Four

Safe From Harm, as always, was incredible. And not as always, but Massive Attack were on great form last night. Highlights !!! Certainly not Spaceman, but all of Massive Attack and i wish i was at Brixton tonight and tomorrow night for my MA fix. That first song was brilliant.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

come o come on, a setlist please. give us a list of the set.
Jig, you made some cool photos, tell me, right?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

veiko wrote:come o come on, a setlist please. give us a list of the set.
Jig, you made some cool photos, tell me, right?

I thought about writing down the setlist because i knew i'd forget it if i tried to remember it, trouble was i forgot to take a pen.

Photos !! Err, no i didn't take any :oops: :oops: but anyway i wasn't at the front and the venue isn't very good so i didn't bother trying to take any.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

The thing that struck me most was the withering indifference towards Spiritualized.
It wasn't surprising - it was a bad idea to expect acoustic songs about love and death to warm up a crowd waiting for a trip hop behemoth...

The applause for Spiritualized was polite rather than enthusiastic, the strings were too low in the mix, for the most part is sounded like background music against the constant hum of chatter and, amongst the people looking bored near me, I heard the comment: "This is fucking boring, man. I can't take any more of these songs, I'm falling asleep."

Philistines, of course. I thought it was a good, if unsurprising, set. Walking With Jesus was the highlight as it seemed to have a bit more oomph than usual.

Massive Attack had driven me to the point where I'd gone to fetch my coat and was ready to leave, when they suddenly improved after about half an hour. It got pretty good then for a while - was that Liz Cocteau on stage with them? I couldn't see from my spot way back.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Starfish wrote:
was that Liz Cocteau on stage with them? I couldn't see from my spot way back.
i was just wondering how the stage set up was? did they have guest singers for songs and a live band? when i saw the chemical brothers they stood behind their decks and stipped away all vocal and melody from there songs and just left the beats and even had lazers and projecters with geeky computer graphics, almost as if they realised how boring they are live...*yawn*
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Do Massive Attack still use ex-Spz folks like The Slipstream lads as a backing band?
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

The only old Spiritualized member in the live version of Massive Attack is Damon Reece (drums), Liz was there and did 3 songs, False Flags was on last years single Live With Me, they did have different singers for different songs, no real (k)nob twiddling, two drummers, bass, guitar and keyboards, indifference? definately - the two lads behind me decided to talk at top of their voices about how much they were looking forward to Nine Inch Nails in a couple of weeks through the whole Spiritualized set
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

What were the other support acts like?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

what time did Jason come on?
Im thinking of popping down tonight and getting a ticket outside
assoc.
Known user

Post by assoc. »

he was on at 8.30...the price of tickets from tout was falling by 7.45
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

he was on at 8.30...the price of tickets from tout was falling by 7.45
Nice one thanks for that. how much where they going for?
assoc.
Known user

Post by assoc. »

about 20 quid...it seemed like they had loads left, maybe the cold weather / football had put off the usual walk up.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

mojo filters wrote:Do Massive Attack still use ex-Spz folks like The Slipstream lads as a backing band?
hadnt thought about that. pierce sacked reece in the contract clear out.......sean has a new band of course, and jonny m has done some work with massive attack i think?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

a review from the Birmingham Academy
chemirocha
New user

Post by chemirocha »

Oh yeah, wasn't there some old traditional band playing oud music signed up to play? Were they on?
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Starfish wrote:a review from the Birmingham Academy

good review that, eh!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I enjoyed the brief acoustic Jase set, although the oud players got a much bigger round of applause from the crowd! We cheered you anyway Jase...

I enjoyed the DJ set by Checkpoint 303 as well - even bought a t-shirt for the cause!!

However, Massive Attack must have the worst fans in British music today - most of them seemed to think the Academy was some sort of big city centre bar where they could lark about, text their mates non-stop and generally hold mindless conversations. And that was during the Massives, let alone Spiritualized! Morons.

Coupled with that MA were way too quiet - since when has Brixton been like that??? You could actually hear the hubbub rising from the hall, a bit like what normally happens at a gig when the first support act is on and nobody knows who they are so doesn't pay them any attention.

Only Safe From Harm really rocked my world - but that was awesome to be fair, the first time the music was loud enough to properly drown out the chattering classes. Oh, and hearing Elisabeth Fraser sing Teardrop live was also an unexpected treat.

Everyone did go mad for Unfinished Sympathy - but to me that song just sounded dated and a bit lightweight compared to the best of their other stuff...no accounting for taste I guess...

But it was a good night and a good laugh at least, and the Trinity was well up to its usual high standards.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Starfish wrote: Massive Attack had driven me to the point where I'd gone to fetch my coat and was ready to leave, when they suddenly improved after about half an hour. It got pretty good then for a while - was that Liz Cocteau on stage with them? I couldn't see from my spot way back.
The Spaceman set made me realise i should of stayed in The Wellington and tried everyone.

Greeny wrote: I enjoyed the DJ set by Checkpoint 303 as well - even bought a t-shirt for the cause!!

Coupled with that MA were way too quiet - since when has Brixton been like that???

Only Safe From Harm really rocked my world - but that was awesome to be fair.

But it was a good night and a good laugh at least, and the Trinity was well up to its usual high standards.
I also enjoyed Checkpoint 303 and they played some very fine tunes, would like to know their DJ Setlist.

I love 'Safe From Harm' myself but i also love Massive Attack and only wish i had gone to one of the Brixton gigs now but not good to hear the best venue is toning it down.

The Trinity is still a saving grace though, better than the Beehive.... 8)
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

If you're interested in Checkpoint 303 - he/they have got a website with some cool free downloads:

http://checkpoint303.free.fr/
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I've never heard Massive Attack, but as a Spiritualized fiend, I'm stoked about getting the download of their set from the torrent.

Yeeehaw!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Did you just pull a Howard Dean?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

dselevan wrote:I've never heard Massive Attack!

Have you really never heard any Massive Attack, ever :?:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Jig wrote:
dselevan wrote:I've never heard Massive Attack!

Have you really never heard any Massive Attack, ever :?:
Ha....best use of the '?' I've seen, thanks S. :wink:

DS - If you got the good downloads of the full AM tour I can't see you'll get anything better from these gigs, though not having been to any I stand to be corrected by folks that have seen the recent AM support show.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

mojo filters wrote: DS - If you got the good downloads of the full AM tour I can't see you'll get anything better from these gigs, though not having been to any I stand to be corrected by folks that have seen the recent AM support show.

Yeah that's about right, nicely summed up. I wish i had stayed in the nearby real ale bar for another hour instead now.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Jig wrote:
mojo filters wrote: DS - If you got the good downloads of the full AM tour I can't see you'll get anything better from these gigs, though not having been to any I stand to be corrected by folks that have seen the recent AM support show.

Yeah that's about right, nicely summed up. I wish i had stayed in the nearby real ale bar for another hour instead now.
I always like to sum up nicely...am trying to position some positive language for a review I'm writing about a band who I didn't see last night!

As for AM I think getting to see the show in an intimate setting like the Lowry or the Sage, then getting to see the tour finish in high spirits in Edinburgh, we can consider ourselves spoilt rotten...until the setlist changes to include some new songs/arrangements I'm reluctant to come down south for the new gigs announced...somehow I can't see it getting better without changes...I'm more than happy with the fixes I already got...now I'm looking forward to an electric gig!
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Does anyone know who is playing guitar in the electric band besides Doggen right now? Do they have any open positions in Spiritualized? I would like to quit my job and apply for the job, if they have one available.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:Does anyone know who is playing guitar in the electric band besides Doggen right now? Do they have any open positions in Spiritualized? I would like to quit my job and apply for the job, if they have one available.
See previous thread...at least you don't have to book the rehersal room in Asia :shock:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

dselevan wrote:Does anyone know who is playing guitar in the electric band besides Doggen right now? Do they have any open positions in Spiritualized? I would like to quit my job and apply for the job, if they have one available.
yeah, me too, i'm the iggy pop of the wooden spoons and kettles
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/musi ... 259486.ece

"First, though, Jason Pierce presented the latest incarnation of Spiritualized - a sit-down acoustic version with a string section and gospel singers. But it all sank in a sea of mediocrity as Pierce strummed one bland gospel-folk non-song after another, barely acknowledging the audience."

Ouch. Clearly Owen Adams is not a fan.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

clewsr wrote:http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/musi ... 259486.ece

"First, though, Jason Pierce presented the latest incarnation of Spiritualized - a sit-down acoustic version with a string section and gospel singers. But it all sank in a sea of mediocrity as Pierce strummed one bland gospel-folk non-song after another, barely acknowledging the audience."

To be fair Jason appears to have dumped some of the best Acoustic Mainlines tunes, eg 'Amen' and 'Sitting on Fire', whilst retaining the blandest of the new tunes 'Soul on Fire' or whatever and 'True Love...' which might well be the best explanation why Daniel Johston's music should be played at all, but Spectrum already did a better job of covering that song in quite a similar vein.

Still a really good cause...neo con Zionist's seem to have made it hard for Palestinian charities to get any profile here because it's their own cause that's causing the sufferring in and around Palestine...no doubt they can use the post-9/11 absurd anti-terror laws to good effect in keeping them out of sight.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

clewsr wrote:

Even if he is or he isn't, he's not wrong about Spaceman and Massive Attack.
G*
Known user

Post by G* »

I can't see many people being with you on that one...

I have never understood the criticisms of Spaceman (or anyone else, for that matter) not acknowledging the audience. In my book acknowledging the audience is playing a killer set that doesn't leave people standing there wondering what exactly they've just blown their £20 on. I'd sooner have some guy play a really great set that you'll remember for all time than some fake suck-up who makes embarrasing small talk in between songs in a desperate effort to make a connection that is lacking in the music. And when Spaceman says 'thank you' at the end it's pretty damn clear that he means it.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Jig wrote:
clewsr wrote:

Even if he is or he isn't, he's not wrong about Spaceman and Massive Attack.
Since I haven't been to the these gigs I guess I'm not the most qualified person to comment, but I can see why that review reads the way it does.

The setlist could barely be made worse in terms of the full Acoustic Mainlines canon that's available, though at least he spared the audience Devil Town (which was a ok when he sang it for a couple of minutes in the original tour but still not the usual Spaceman high standards) and Funeral Home, which was the weakest link at the shows for me, with the overly loud choral repetition of the title at the end, seemingly going on endlessly and pointlessly.

I'm very glad I didn't shell out daft amounts of money to get to see these gigs, though I hope it's helped draw attention to the HOPING Foundation who's good work is helping folks the west fucked over in 1948 then failed to maintain consistant standards in respect of United Nations' resolutions.

Interestingly, even before the current Iraq war was forced on us by liars and special interest groups, the UN had passed several more resolutions against Israel (that were as usual ignored with tacit US support) than it had against Iraq. Hence I think it's a great cause that positively seeks to rectify the results of the reckless and criminal behaviour of one country, that's causing considerable distress to those surrounding it, safe in the knowledge it has the support of most of the western world.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

G* wrote:I can't see many people being with you on that one...

I have never understood the criticisms of Spaceman (or anyone else, for that matter) not acknowledging the audience. In my book acknowledging the audience is playing a killer set that doesn't leave people standing there wondering what exactly they've just blown their £20 on. I'd sooner have some guy play a really great set that you'll remember for all time than some fake suck-up who makes embarrasing small talk in between songs in a desperate effort to make a connection that is lacking in the music. And when Spaceman says 'thank you' at the end it's pretty damn clear that he means it.
And so would i and luckily i have been to many a Spiritualized gig to realise that Spaceman isn't some fake suck-up guy who interacts with the audience simply because the/his music isn't working, and in this case, to put it simply, it didn't. I was there, bought a ticket through official channels and not off FleaBay. If it were a killer set i would say it was a killer set, sadly it wasn't so i'm just being honest and i'm not too interested if people disagree with me 8) .

What that guy from the Independent wrote about Massive Attack, that was spot on too....in my humble opinion.

mojo filters wrote: and Funeral Home, which was the weakest link at the shows for me, with the overly loud choral repetition of the title at the end, seemingly going on endlessly and pointlessly.
Hmmmm, i absolutely love that moment. I thought it was one of the best parts of an Acoustic Mainline.
mojo filters wrote: I'm very glad I didn't shell out daft amounts of money to get to see these gigs.
As i said before, i was very lucky to have been able to buy the very last ticket. Turned out it was bit like finding the last Golden ticket in a Wonka Bar, only really you wished it was a Hershey's.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Jig wrote:
G* wrote:I can't see many people being with you on that one...

And so would i and luckily i have been to many a Spiritualized gig to realise that Spaceman isn't some fake suck-up guy who interacts with the audience simply because the/his music isn't working, and in this case, to put it simply, it didn't. I was there, bought a ticket through official channels and not off FleaBay. If it were a killer set i would say it was a killer set, sadly it wasn't so i'm just being honest and i'm not too interested if people disagree with me 8) .

What that guy from the Independent wrote about Massive Attack, that was spot on too....in my humble opinion.

mojo filters wrote: and Funeral Home, which was the weakest link at the shows for me, with the overly loud choral repetition of the title at the end, seemingly going on endlessly and pointlessly.
Hmmmm, i absolutely love that moment. I thought it was one of the best parts of an Acoustic Mainline.
mojo filters wrote: I'm very glad I didn't shell out daft amounts of money to get to see these gigs.

As i said before, i was very lucky to have been able to buy the very last ticket. Turned out it was bit like finding the last Golden ticket in a Wonka Bar, only really you wished it was a Hershey's.
I think that the usual 'thank you' from Jason as he shuffles off the stage sounds incredibly sincere, as if he's almost embarrassed that so many people reverentially come to hear his music. His applause to the crowd at the Sage was quite a departure from the normal exit - as I recall both Jason and Doggen stood for a few minutes showing their appreciation to the audience...would've been nice if that fit 1st fiddle player had got up given us a twirl, guess you can't have everything!

Having seen the Daniel Johnston film I've seen the early footage of him playing some nice music of his own rather well, on the piano, with an endearingly clumsy style. I am at a loss as to what the folks in Austin, which I understand is pretty much the cultural capital of Texas, were on in terms of mind-altering substances when they gave him an award for playing throwaway tunes badly on the guitar.

The Acoustic Mainlines singing on that tune was in itself beautiful, as were all the performances. However as much as I loved the gigs I saw, if I'd been forced to choose a fault in the shows straight after I would have referenced 'Funeral Home' as a weak song, worked-up well to fit into the AM idea, but simply going on too long, whereas 'Devil Town' segued so well into 'Lord Let it rain on me'.

Now when I listen to the lossless Lowry and Colchester gigs the song just drags and the choir sound too high in the mix, as if they were singing with too much enthusiasm so as to impact on their vocal quality. Compare that to the beautiful rendition of 'Amen' where the choir's contribution sounds both measured and heartfelt, making it quite possibly the best song on the tour for me.

Nice chocolate metaphor BTW, although I don't eat it myself so have no experience to reference...but it reads well!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Just read that review - Dot Allison doing Teardrop? Is that right?

We got Elisabeth Fraser!

My thoughts on MA at Brixton are recorded elsewhere, but I certainly wouldn't have praised it to the level the reviewer did. Maybe it was loud enough to drown out the c*nts in Birmingham....
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I'm quite sure it was Liz Fraser at Birmingham too and i thought i heard here name introduced anyway plus it sounded very much like her.

In Birmingham they did cranked up the volume a bit, but never enough. It is a shit venue but it sounded good.