J & MC in London

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Shinesalight
Known user

J & MC in London

Post by Shinesalight »

Anyone else going to this?:-

http://www.nme.com/news/the-jesus-and-mary-chain/29237

Got my tickets last night and am well looking foward to it. Anyone catch them at the Meltdown festival?
liquid amino
Known user

Post by liquid amino »

saw them here in NYC. Great show.

No crazy lights or strobe effects; just good Mary Music.

The opener, A Place to Bury Strangers, kicked serious ass, too!
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Seen them at Summercase, not sure. Jim still right on it, session band etc. Enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away. William obviously likes the good life, by the look of him.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

How was Summercase Mark?
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

less talk, more work sunshine
Melmoth
Known user

Post by Melmoth »

I saw them at Summercase last week and they didn't blow me away either. In fact, the sound was horrible and William seemed to be very uncomfortable on stage. I was expecting something totally different.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

I saw them at Meltdown and they were superb, RFH was not the best type of venue for them but Brixton should be great. One of those bands where they're either fantastic or they get demoralised and it appears they're just going through the motions.
Shaun
Known user

Re: J & MC in London

Post by Shaun »

Ads wrote:Anyone else going to this?:-

http://www.nme.com/news/the-jesus-and-mary-chain/29237

Got my tickets last night

Which tickets did you go for Ads, upstairs or downstairs ? I imagine downstairs will be thumping and upstairs a little less so, but at least you can have a sit down up there.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
apesgrapes
Known user

Post by apesgrapes »

downstairs is worth it esp if you can get on that little podium thing. got front of that most gigs they played there, apart from the 3 rollercoasters in 92 when we spent each night sitting on the stairs half cabbaged and shouting "chiselly chadwick" every time guy chadwick walked past to the bogs.
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

I don't know if it's because I was up in the balcony and the sound was poor, but they didn't seem half as a ferocious as I was expecting. I've got a few bootlegs with some awesome feedback going on, but William seemed a bit shy of his pedals for my liking.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

They've still got it. Fucking brilliant gig. Highlight was probably the encore of Darklands, 9 Million Rainy Days and the extended version of Reverence but the whole thing was just great.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Ads wrote:They've still got it. Fucking brilliant gig. Highlight was probably the encore of Darklands, 9 Million Rainy Days and the extended version of Reverence but the whole thing was just great.
Hmm, now I regret not going. Last time I saw Jim Reid play it was absolute crap so I decided not to bother... :(

Any more reviews ?
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
The Black Lodge
Known user

Post by The Black Lodge »

Sorry to disagree but it was a complete waste of time.
They opened with a brilliant feedback riddled version of Never Understand and at that point i thought i was in for a good night.
How wrong i was.
It gradually detoriorated in to a total parody of the Mary Chain.
OK, so you can play your instruments, i dont care, just hit the frickin' pedals and make some noise.
They came across like a bad covers band.
Half assed versions of classic songs cleaned up for a new generation.

Psychocandy is one of the most important and influential albums of my generation, to think that the noise revolution was started by the two idiots that shambled on stage on friday night beggars belief.

oh yeah, and now we know where all the pies have gone...William ate them.
The Black Lodge
Known user

Post by The Black Lodge »

Oh yeah...forgot to say...check out the rough mixes of the new Brian Jonestown Massacre album that are available from the official site.
It urinates on anything else thats happening at the moment.
The Reid brothers could learn a thing or two from Sir Anton of Newcombe.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

jesus son wrote:I saw them at Meltdown and they were superb, RFH was not the best type of venue for them but Brixton should be great. One of those bands where they're either fantastic or they get demoralised and it appears they're just going through the motions.
Are you referring to their Meltdown performance from '98 at RFH? If so, I was at that gig, but I thought they were pretty bad. They kept having equipment problems and just couldn't get it together. Hopefully, you're talking about a more recent RFH Mary Chain gig.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Personally I really really enjoyed the gig. I'm glad I went as I think they put on a great show. There's always something special about seeing an 'old school' band live.
I do agree that it was perhaps lacking in the feedback department somewhat however. But, saying that, the majority of their albums aren't drenched in feedback are they...
sunray
Known user

Re: J & MC in London

Post by sunray »

Saw them at the Electric Picnic in Ireland and was disappointed,not that i was expecting much anyway, and i say this as a Mary Chain fanatic who rates them along with the Spacemen as my all time faves. Jim still has it but William's a bit of an embarrassment at this stage. With that extra weight surely he could've leaned a bit heavier on the pedals!Although to be fair i did sing along to every song which is something i never do at gigs so i got enjoyment from it alright. i just think alot of people might be trying to convince themselves they saw something amazing after spending lots of cash to travel to see them, and yes i was lucky enough to see them twice the first time around so maybe that has something to do with my p.o.v, in 1989 amazing in 98 they looked and sounded like a band on the verge of splitting up and a couple of months later they did! Cant wait for the rarities boxset though.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five