Mogwai

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

SpacemanRob
Known user

Mogwai

Post by SpacemanRob »

Anyone going to Somerset House tomorrow? Can't wait for the gig! Another of the few bands that never fails to deliver!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

No, but they're supposed to be playing in Birmingham on Saturday so i might try and get to that one instead.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I'm going - given that the show is be surround sound it could be a cracker, although the last two Mogwai shows I've been to have been pish.

Last Chance Saloon for fat Stu and his merry men tonight....
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

I'm going tonight, should be a cracker, surround sound n all that.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Thought is was pretty damn good overall, obviously you have to excuse the usual London dickheads who have a distinct inability to keep their mouths shut for longer than 3 mins but hey....
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

No Fear Satan, neither of the Helicons, no Like Herod, no My Father My King, very little evidence of the surround sound, and we were deliberately towards the back to make the most of it (although I have to say there was nothing wrong with the overall quality of the PA - crystal clear).

An opportunity truly wasted in my book - as proved by the main set closer We're no here which showed how it could have been and was fab, but was too little too late.

Felt a bit sorry for John Cummings actually - to me it used to be his band but now they seem to only want to play the keyboard/synth/vocal numbers and at times you could hardly hear his guitar.

There were plenty of talkers for sure, but in the old days they wouldn't have been able to for most of a Mogwai set because it would have been too bloody loud! Says it all that one of the songs was out-noised by the Somerset House bells chiming the hour!

Really disappointing, and my last Mogwai gig for sure.

Oh well, onwards and upwards....
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

I agree on a few points, could really have done with some intense ones like My Father, Satan etc.
we where pretty close to the front so it was pretty loud, but, you are right not nearly loud enough, whoich probably has more to do with Westminster council than Mogwai.
Surround sound elements where pretty good from where we were, maybe it was a location thing, PA was as you say very clear indeed.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I guess like anything time moves on.

To have expected anything like their stupendous Brixton Academy show in 2001 would have been a stretch. Bloody hell that was a show, even the 'quiet' bits were eye-bleedingly loud...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Believe it or not I turned down a friend's spare ticket for this gig as I had already promised to go and see Die Hard 4 with another friend! We live and learn....I hope! :oops: The worst thing is...I actually managed to fall asleep during the supposedly most exciting film of the year.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Mogwai were incredible when I saw them last year for Mr. Beast. I was really into it. Did they play Ratts Of The Capital or Glasgow Mega-Snake at this gig? Those two are both pretty intense. I'm really surprised at the reactions here. I can't imagine a bad Mogwai show.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I saw Mogwai at ATP- i'm a big fan, but the live show was a kinda mixed bag. The performance and sound quality was great, I thought what let it down was the setlist- they started with Superheroes of BMX (one of their most boring tracks IMO), and didn't play many of my favourites. I'm also not a huge fan of Mr Beast, and obviously the set leaned heavily on that.

They also weren't particularly loud, until the encore anyway, when they cranked it up mega loud for Glasgow Megasnake and My Father My King.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ah, man ... Mr. Beast is incredible!!!! I think it's one of their best albums. Oh well, guess we aren't exactly seeing eye to eye, as I found the Black Angels album to be pretty boring. I was really excited by Black Grease, but the rest of the tracks on the cd EP were weak, IMO, and the album followed suit. Perhaps we can agree on a different band.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah seems like we have different musical brains..

But according to my research you are a fan of A Northern Soul... no one that loves that album can be all wrong... :) Its rather incredible.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, Northern Soul is my favorite Verve album, followed closely by A Storm In Heaven.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

mr. beast the best mogwai album,

wha wha whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

i felt that one was definetely one of their worst, i had a real problem getting into it. i still own it, but to be hoenst it doesn't get much plays. i seem to remember liking a piano number. but i also thought the tracks were too short, right as you would get into it *boom* it was over.

ahh well, how's the band going paul?

me.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a beautiful noise wrote: i seem to remember liking a piano number. but i also thought the tracks were too short, right as you would get into it *boom* it was over.
Bingo! Thats exactly what i thought- at no point do the songs stretch out at all, you think "oh it must be about to get good and epic RIGHT now" and then it fades out. The production is also too shiny and Protooled to fuck, that style kind of worked on Happy Songs For Happy People but not here.