Vista 11/12 show review(s)

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

ThiefofFire
Known user

Vista 11/12 show review(s)

Post by ThiefofFire »

I just got back to home sweet home in San Diego from the first gig at the Vista... man was it ever worth the 4 hours of driving and 4 hours of waiting in line today... just a beautiful show and so very different from the other two Spiritualized gigs I've attended (at the Avalon and the Wiltern, also in LA). Arriving early paid off since I got a front row seat, close to Jason... unfortunately there were some noisy drunks up front, and a few sleazy comments directed at the gospel singers... but I also met some nice people while waiting

The highlight for me was Anything More / Ladies and Gentlemen, which got a standing ovation from the crowd and from Jason too; he stood up and (not to get in teenybopper mode or anything) 'I swear' looked straight at me and grinned. And I found it oddly touching to see him keep mouthing or singing 'there's so little time' softly after he leaned away from the mic... he seemed to be having a good time tonight, as did everyone else in the band and the audience

Simple Kid was a very fun opening act and I also really enjoyed the music between sets, which included my favorite Ronettes song 'I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine'... and speaking of I wish, I wish I was going to tomorrow's show, but memories of tonight's will have to do... hopefully someone with a better memory will post a setlist, I can't remember the order especially at this wee hour
Last edited by ThiefofFire on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceLine
Known user

Re: Vista 11/12 show review(s)

Post by SpaceLine »

about how long was the simple kid set? i'm hitting the boston gig and curious when spz will actually hit the stage. thanks.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

SimpleKid played for about 20-25 minutes, it was okay.
withstandley
New user

Post by withstandley »

Simple Kid was really good. I highly reccomend making it there in time to see him.
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

I thought Simple Kid was a great/perfect opener for this show-having never heard him/them before.

Jason and crew did a great job and I think broken heart and I think I'm in love were the hi-lights for me.
Even though I knew what I was getting into with the Acoustic Mainlines show having both audio and dvd bootlegs, I still missed the rest of the band and kept hoping the curtain would fly up with a crack of the snare and the aural onslaught would comense...but like I said they did a good job and was fun to see...was happy to grab a shirt for a reasonable price as well.
talking about music is like dancing about architecture
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

This show was the fucking greatest!

Highlights: "Broken Heart", "Anything More/LAGWFIS", "I Think I'm In Love", Jason and Doggen seemed to really enjoy themselves, the 3 standing ovations, the sound was nearly perfect, the venue looked amazing, and the guy who tripped and fell over the wheel chair and then the curb after the show.

"Bad" things: no new material, the best seats in the venue were caution-taped off and "reserved" for people who never came, and I had to go to the bathroom at the beginning of "Baby I'm a Fool".

After the show, I exchanged a few words with Doggen. The two things that stuck out: "This venue is fuckin' brilliant" and talking about Jason: "He's back." Then Jason came out and after raising his beer and applauding in my direction, he said, "The crowd was fuckin' brilliant." HE SPEAKS!!

It was hands down the best show I've seen. I feel clean. It was like a musical cleansing. I'm just happy I'll be there again tonight.
timsaky
Known user

Post by timsaky »

Anyone get a setlist? I posted the SF one in the SF show review...
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

Setlist was identical to the SF show.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I was the f'd up guy about to pass out in the front row. I do not think those seats are taped off for people who don't come. You can't see from behind the speakers. Awesome that you spoke with Spaceman, I couldn't find him. I've known Julie the string player for about 7 or 8 years and she said they pretty much do the same set list every night but don't stick to it. Night two blew away night one, and not just because I was sober. Although I think Jason enjoyed watching me rock and and clap to his songs, it was much better sober. It is a cleansing experience. Show two was way better because the bought new mics. I feel bad for those who only caught night one. Bummer!! It really sounded fantastic. Jason did the same things, you could just hear his voice so loud and the choir were very loud as well. Highlights were definitely the live version of Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating in Space and Soul on Fire. He just put a lot of emotion into that one, especially night two. I don't really remember night one so I should probably be reviewing the other show.
noisette
Known user

Post by noisette »

i'm sure jase was thrilled that you were clapping and singing along. i can picture it now.

anyways, as for the shows, they were great. i was very surprised. with "ahmen" being my personal favorite.

but like someone said above, i too was waiting for the curtain to raised and BOOM! electricity!!!!!!!

but all in all had a great time, even if the annoying drunk girl dry humped her boyfriend during 'broken heart'.

me
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

noisette wrote:but all in all had a great time, even if the annoying drunk girl dry humped her boyfriend during 'broken heart'.

me
Wasn't that tall guy your singer and his chick??? Ha!
noisette
Known user

Post by noisette »

ohh man, i was trying to leave names out of it!

but f*ck, she's a train wreck, just add booze.

ya know my girl is one of the most mellow, quiet people you will ever meet, and to annoy her is a testament. but she had had it by the time we got home. i'll spare you the details.

me.

p/s- where were you? luckily i was one row ahead of the live floor show.
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

Ha! I had a good view of the "floor show" from the other side of the theatre and about half way up! I figured you were close cuz I knew it was him.
dselevan wrote:I was the f'd up guy about to pass out in the front row. Night two blew away night one, and not just because I was sober. Although I think Jason enjoyed watching me rock and and clap to his songs, it was much better sober. It is a cleansing experience. Show two was way better because the bought new mics. I don't really remember night one so I should probably be reviewing the other show.
And David, yes you were F'd up! I missed your spill outside, but on one of your thousand trips to and from the lobby you about went ass over tea kettle in the aisle toward the end of monday night...glad tuesday was better for you.
noisette
Known user

Post by noisette »

haha! was that the guy that tripped over the curbed and crabbed his shin! i thought he was gonna cry. poor guy, it looked/sounded like it hurt.

yeah dave, good thing we didn't meet up.

haha.

me.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

dselevan wrote:I was the f'd up guy about to pass out in the front row.
Really? That was you? No wonder you liked the second show better.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

timsaky wrote:Anyone get a setlist? I posted the SF one in the SF show review...
My friend scanned the setlist he got for the Tuesday show.....that had Bimbos written on it...and 11/12 (the Tuesday show was 11/13)...meaning they used the same setlist for all three shows.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I uploaded the scan of the setlist here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XSYE3XTL

EDIT: For all of you lazy people-

Sitting on Fire
Lord Let it Rain on Me
True Love Will Find You in the End
Cool Waves
Amen
Going Down Slow
Soul on Fire
Walking With Jesus
Feel So Sad
Stop Your Crying
All of My Tears
Baby I'm Just a Fool
Anything More/LAGWAFIS
Broken Heart
Think I'm in Love
------------
Lord Can You Hear Me
Oh Happy Day
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I drank a whole bottle of Pirate Rum. You guys have no idea what happened Monday night. My friend Dane was up from San Diego with his wife. He has a bottle of rum in his boot. His wife says he can't drink it. I had left to go back to my house because someone swapped me some Pure Phase for a ticket. Nothing extremely intoxicating like alcohol, I was looking for amazing grace. So I was at my house while Dane's wife made him spill a whole bottle of rum in my coke. I came back just when Spaceman went on, I had no clue I was slurping a whole bottle of rum. That is not how I recommend watching the show. My leg is still messed up from slipping on that ice, but I had to find the wizard since I lost just about everything including my mind between due to the bottle of rum. I still had a blast and I don't really mind if you make fun of me. I really didn't know I was drinking a whole bottle of rum though (maybe 7/8).
d
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Ouch! That was you that slipped on the ice and tripped over the wheelchair? My condolences.