post your reports from the apollo show here!

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

TakeMeToTheOtherSide
New user

post your reports from the apollo show here!

Post by TakeMeToTheOtherSide »

set list was the same as has been reported for the other shows.
it was beautiful, as always, and jason seemed to especially enjoy the experience and our collective appreciation of it—which included several standing o's.
Last edited by TakeMeToTheOtherSide on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Re: Looking for cohort—or dream date—for Apollo show tonight

Post by good dope/good fun »

I'm going tonight.
3rd row balcony.
Lemme ask my girl if she'll let me stray.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Re: post your reports from the apollo show here!

Post by good dope/good fun »

Nice to see the silver shoes.
Jason was all smiles.
i-heart-art
New user

Post by i-heart-art »

Last night was truly amazing. I have only one question - does anyone know the name of the keyboardist who is performing with Jason on this tour?
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

i-heart-art wrote:Last night was truly amazing. I have only one question - does anyone know the name of the keyboardist who is performing with Jason on this tour?
Doggen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggen
TakeMeToTheOtherSide
New user

Pat Garrett wrote:
i-heart-art wrote:Last night was truly amazing. I have only one question - does anyone know the name of the keyboardist who is performing with Jason on this tour?
Doggen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggen
the wikipedia entry was interesting. i hadn't known that doggen contributed as a session guitarist to the the demos for GNR's "Use Your Illusion." i'm just curious about him always taking over mike mooney's jobs (w/ julian cope and then spz, after mooney defected to spz). are/were they friends or?
james948
Known user

Post by james948 »

It was beautiful. I was hammered. I raced to the front and pretended to take pictures.
Then did take some.
Met him afterwards. He looks COMPLETELY different with short hair. Also it was great to see he can play guitar; I can never usually hear him over the rest.
grifforama
New user

Post by grifforama »

It might just be me, but I thought it was very mediocre.
I must admit, I think Spiritualized music is best done electrically. That is where I get lost in the hypnotic guitars, swirling feedback and droning vocals.
Acoustically, I think it just lacks that J Scaceman magic.
Sorry to post a negative, but I miss the old days...
zaydon
Known user

Post by zaydon »

I'm totally with you. It was interesting, but it wasn't Spiritualized in all its glory. I'm not sure why people think its soo fantastic. Spiritualized is supposed to be noise/drone alla Jesus n Mary Chain/Suicide/Neu. This was ok, but the Dave Mathewing of spiritualized songs for a larger audience acceptance wasn't really that great. I found it astonishing that people cheered louder for mid-late spiritualized songs vs early Spiritualized and Spacemen 3 songs(not later reworked by Spiritualized) I don't want to sound like an elitest, but I thought Spiritualized fans were mostly around from Laser Guided Melodies days if not early. Especially considering the age of the people in the crowd.

Look at this video for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-BeDy1F ... re=related

This is how spiritualized should be with Strings/Horn/Choir. It doesn't mean they have to turn adult contemporary.

Sorry, I'm totally ripping it. And it wasn't that bad, its just sad to see one of my favorites kinda become kinda average.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

To call this the DaveMatthewsing or adult contemporary-ing of Spiritualized is a pretty fucked up assessment of the Acoustic Mainlines tour in my opinion. I mean its not like Jason was thinking arenas when he put this together. The venues were hand picked. He paid for the tour himself. He hopes to break even. He just thought he owed it to US fans to bring it over here, albeit a very short tour.
The simpilicity, the beauty, the strings, the choir was absolutely gorgeous. I have heard this many times from friends in the UK and some people in the US people were openly emotional during these shows. How do you think these songs were born? It stripped them back down to the beginning.
Why did you buy a ticket? I mean it was called Acoustic Mainlines.
To reduce it to the above is an absolute fucking joke and a disgrace.....in my opinion of course.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

I'm with spzretent on this one. Friday night was so great I've just put myself through six hours of Greyhound bus hell to get to Boston for tonight's show. I've seen many Spz shows but these are manna from heaven.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

If someone wants to come on here and give an honest assessment of a gig that he or she went to, and giving an truthful opinion is what it's all about, then to claim an honest and personal point of view is a f****** joke and disgrace is, well, the same. Probably only my opinion but there you go.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

let me temper my above words for you.
i have no disagreement with anyone who goes to a show and doesn't "get it".
but to say this was a "DaveMatthewing" version of Spiritualized or a blatant attempt to garner a wider audience is ludicrous.
Jason did this tour for himself. He funded it. He hand picked the venues. My own opinion is this was born out of the acoustic instores he did in the US on the AG tour. I have one on disc and I said the day after the show, the instore at Neptune Records was far more enjoyable than the show at St. Andrews hall that night. Because I had never seen the any Spiritualized played acoustically.
Conversely, I took a friend to the show and she had never heard any Spiritualized period. Her first note was the first note of Sitting On Fire on Saturday. She was blown away. She was so blown away she wrote a poem about her experience. As I said above, many have been emotional about these shows and to hear it reduced to "DaveMatthewing" is really sad. I guess its one extreme or the other.
On the ride home Sunday I played her an electric version of Shine A Light and when the build up and noise started she said it was like nails on a chalkboard.
So go figure.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

zaydon wrote: I found it astonishing that people cheered louder for mid-late spiritualized songs vs early Spiritualized and Spacemen 3 songs(not later reworked by Spiritualized) I don't want to sound like an elitest, but I thought Spiritualized fans were mostly around from Laser Guided Melodies days if not early. Especially considering the age of the people in the crowd.

Sorry, I'm totally ripping it. And it wasn't that bad, its just sad to see one of my favorites kinda become kinda average.
Thankyou, someone speaks the truth. Personally i believe that Spiritualized lost as many fans as they gained from Ladies & Gents onwards. They've also been "kinda average" for many years now but i stick with them because of what they've meant to me for so long & out of loyalty to Jason & the hope that someday he'll produce another classic. I do love Spiritualized. Honestly.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Sprirtualized fans seems to work like this.
LAGWAIFIS in the common thread.
There is one side whol love LGM and PP.
The other side maybe got into them late and love LICD and AG.
And neither side understands the other.
However, I dont think Spiritualized have lost the early fans. They still buy the records. They still go to shows. They just aren't as enthused by the new stuff as the old stuff. I guess that what happens when the bar is consistenly set so high.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Really to be honest. I have enjoyed every release from j. and co. Spiritualized has been one of the few bands where i can say
this band can play a full spectrum of music and still be true to themselves. Granted some albums are better then others in ways
but each has its own mood. electric or acoustic the songs have that magic still. even the arrangements work very well.
Its not some MTV unplugged sound. It goes back to the roots of meeting at the crossroads.

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Here is my hope.
I hope the Apollo show was professionally filmed. I know how much it meant for Jason to play there. Or I hope a dvd release comes from any one show on this tour as a document. UK, US, Europe, Canada pick one. There are a lot of fans who didn't get to see this show. Especially outside of the UK.
But I feel it has to be seen to be appreciated fully. I had heard many reviews of the UK and have listened to the Salford Lowry show. But I still wasn't prepared for the actual live experience.
This tour really hit a lot of people deeper than your average live show.
So if I could wish for something in the new year (other than the new Spz record) is a dvd release of the AM tour.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I love all of Spiritualized's work (to larger and smaller degrees obviously), I can't believe that people are complaining about getting a stripped down Spz show with gospel choir & strings, including songs from Jasons whole catalogue, and paid for out of his own pocket.

If anything I think the electric show was showing slight evidence of getting tired and strained around the AG time- this acoustic sound is the perfect way to reinvent the Spz sound yet again, keep it fresh, and to come back to the electric show with a vengeance next year.

And yes, you really have to be at these shows to appreciate them. It's beautiful. I really hope a DVD is released too, of any of the shows. Like people have said elsewhere this format is often the perfect way to get newbies into the band- that has been testified by many reviewers who bought along their girlfriend/friends who didn't know the bands work.

And I think the sheer quality of the new songs speaks for itself. Average my arse.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Listening to Lowry gig right now and still getting chills down my spine.
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I, too, found this to be a welcome change from the traditional Spiritualized show. (Although I thought the AG show was incredible and reminded me more of early Spiritualized than anything since, well, early Spiritualized -- maybe it was the healthy dose of LGM tunes!) I wouldn't want or expect this to be the new Spiritualized show but as a one-off it was exceptional. I've always felt that Jason's better at writing the "slower" tunes than he is at the "rockier" ones. And as a result, the setlist for this show is packed with most of his best songs from the past 20 years. A friend of mine commented that Jason's songs don't stand up on their own and need to have strings and choirs to work, whereas Neil Young can take a stage with just a guitar and hold an audience's attention for an hour. I agree and disagree. Yes, Jason's songs aren't generally written to be sung around the campfire, if you will. But I was impressed by how well they worked in this format. Stripped down to beautiful acoustic arrangements and without the usual assortment of effects, drones and electric guitars and drums, they took on a whole new life. People expecting the full-on assault of Spiritualized would naturally be disappointed if their minds weren't open to the new approach. (Or if they hadn't done the tiniest bit of research to find out what they had bought tickets for!) But for most people I imagine this show is a revelation...

And speaking of Neil Young, perhaps Jason can take a cue from him and release the new album as a CD/DVD combo where the DVD is an Acoustic Mainlines show...

And finally, I can't WAIT to hear studio versions of the 3 new songs played on the North American tour. They all have really strong melodies and have filled me with great anticipation for the new record...

Peace.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote:So go figure.
Oh ok then. Well it'll probably come as no surprise for you to hear that I actually already have, but that's beside the point. The point I was trying to get across was that to call someone else's opinion a disgrace and joke just because it included a reference to Dave Matthews was a bit negative. That sort of rhetoric/dialog/text/lingo/choice of words or however anyone cares to say it doesn't exactly encourage more people (and more importantly new folk) to want to post on here more regularly but seems to easily and readily discourage it. That's my 2 cent, my thoughts only, and no apologies if they differ to yours or anyone else's.

Please keep posting the varied and interesting reviews/thoughts, they're cool.

The Apollo has been the best proper venue so far for an Acoustic Mainline that I know of. The intimacy of Nottingham St Mary's was other-worldly though. And the staff at the Apollo were so friendly and helpful too. The AM concept seems to have moved on many several notches since the early shows and now sounds a little too clinical as opposed to the first shows. It's good that there are new songs being included (they're needed now) and I just wish he'd have given 'Spread Your Wings' this kind of make-over as well. It's easy to appreciate anyone not really liking the style of show it is first time around, but if for instance someone was fortunate enough to be able to take in another couple, views could easily change. Same can quite easily be said in reverse to that also. It was a great concept to begin with and great shows while they last, but it has reached near the end now and it's time to look towards the full-on electric assault. Also JP taking it to the USA was great and a big thanks from him to the fans over there, and off his own back too, and even greater achievement.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

well its certainly nice to know I have my own personal moral compass on the message board.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote:well its certainly nice to know I have my own personal moral compass on the message board.
If to mock makes you feels more comfortable then carry on. But thanks for another little insight into how bad the moderation on this forum has become. Keep up the good work buddy.
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Last night's show in Boston was filmed. Does anyone have any more info about it? I was also intrigued by J's choice of that venue. I had hopes that we'd be surrounded by Grand Masters and Grecian urns but instead the hall felt quite institutional and disconnected from the rest of the museum. Great acoustics though. Very polite audience, probably made more so by the absence of a bar.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Like i said earlier. This needs a dvd release. as someone pointed out a dual cd/dvd package would be perfect.
what strikes me as odd is the gospel choir at the Apollo was 5 women, Toronto was 3 women, Boston appeared to be 4 women.
thinline
Known user

Post by thinline »

personally I grew up with spacemen 3 and spiritualized....my brother being much older than me and us sharing a room when I was young meant I was privy to alot of music my friends weren't. I can honestly say that although ladies and gentlemen blew me away when I bought my blister pack I always have and always will love every record and, indeed, every song exactly the same...no band has ever held my attention for so long and been a constant soundtrack to my life....
I didn't think Acoustic Mainlines could ever be done having seen the full band many times and seeing and hearing the shows take shape but I'm so happy to be proved wrong...if it stops with this tour and never ever happens again I think everyone with a deep love for Spiritualized will be very happy with the the way its gone...while I personally think the Dave Matthews thing was harsh as fuck I think everyone can have an opinion...on this occasion I'm sure many will disagree....
this tour has been one of the most amazing musical journeys I've ever witnessed and hearing how much improvement there has been along the way has proved to me that just when you think you may have seen everything Spiritualized have to offer Jason Pierce has pulled off something truly brilliant...if tis doesn't bode well for the new record...well i duno what does...
average? I don't think so....
Hey man there's a hole in my reason that I gotta close...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

thinline wrote: I didn't think Acoustic Mainlines could ever be done having seen the full band many times and seeing and hearing the shows take shape but I'm so happy to be proved wrong...if it stops with this tour and never ever happens again I think everyone with a deep love for Spiritualized will be very happy with the the way its gone...while I personally think the Dave Matthews thing was harsh as fuck I think everyone can have an opinion....
I think it probably means he either bought his record collection from Columbia House or Wal Mart.
thinline
Known user

Post by thinline »

spzretent wrote:
thinline wrote: I didn't think Acoustic Mainlines could ever be done having seen the full band many times and seeing and hearing the shows take shape but I'm so happy to be proved wrong...if it stops with this tour and never ever happens again I think everyone with a deep love for Spiritualized will be very happy with the the way its gone...while I personally think the Dave Matthews thing was harsh as fuck I think everyone can have an opinion....
I think it probably means he either bought his record collection from Columbia House or Wal Mart.

what the hell are you talking about?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

easy. i obviously misunderstood your post.
i see the comment was aimed my way.
c'est la vie.
thinline
Known user

Post by thinline »

dude the comment wasn't aimed your way at all...what ever gave you that idea?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

your response to my post.
i first thought the equating the AM show to Dave Mathews earlier in the thread was what you were talking about. The response to my one liner made me think my initial response to whomever it was that basically said this was a blatant attempt at Jason selling out to a wider audience was a bit harsh(to which I would agree).
thinline
Known user

Post by thinline »

it is harsh...JP can be called alot of things unfortunately (by previous bandmates most prominently) but what ever he is he definitely ain't a sellout...bout the wallmart thing though...THAT was harsh :mrgreen:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i have a cynical streak runnin' thru my veins right now.
that DMB remark really upset me. i was still basking in the glow of what was an incredible show on Saturday night and i read that and flew off the handle.
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but that post just made me boil over.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Jig wrote: But thanks for another little insight into how bad the moderation on this forum has become.
Cheers man. Next time the entire forum requires saving from self-destruction we'll know where to come.
TakeMeToTheOtherSide
New user

i agree with spzretent here. that dave matthews comment is so off. the tears that were streaming down my face during "broken heart" proved it. dave matthews does nothing for me, and in this case, may as well be from another planet. i believe jason is one of the purest musicians working today in terms of his relationship with his music and the process by which he shares it with the world. after his near-death health situation not that long ago, he seemed to especially be celebrating the music's power to transform and, it seems, to heal. so glad he is still with us sharing his vision. now i'm sad, though, that i didn't make my way backstage to give him a hug.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The AM show I saw completely renewed my passion for Spiritualized. I was definitely one of those who was feeling jaded and not that into the last two studio records.
I now have gone back and listened more intently to LICD and AG. And appreciate them much more.
I do think Jason's illness and recovery is one of the main reasons these shows happened.
He has always taken some chances. Like the shows with Steve Martland. And I think he likes the role of conductor. I couldn't have been easy constantly teaching different string sections and gospel choirs their parts.
james948
Known user

Post by james948 »

But was it recorded / bootlegged?
I'm desperate to get my hands on a recording. The S/F show is great but it's different when you were at the gig. Meanwhile, has anyone seen the picture I posted of him afterwards; he looks tremendously different. Very ... average... for want of a better word.
x
James.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

james948 wrote: Meanwhile, has anyone seen the picture I posted of him afterwards; he looks tremendously different. Very ... average... for want of a better word.
James.
Compared to what? What is average? He looks healthier to me.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

spzretent wrote:Sprirtualized fans seems to work like this.
*sharp intake of breath...

brave but bollocks
Shoulders back, smash it
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

spzretent wrote:The AM show I saw completely renewed my passion for Spiritualized. I was definitely one of those who was feeling jaded and not that into the last two studio records.
I now have gone back and listened more intently to LICD and AG. And appreciate them much more.
I do think Jason's illness and recovery is one of the main reasons these shows happened.
He has always taken some chances. Like the shows with Steve Martland. And I think he likes the role of conductor. I couldn't have been easy constantly teaching different string sections and gospel choirs their parts.

I'm glad the gigs were so good. It seems like the majority of people thought it was great- even the oldies!!! Spzretent, it's nice to see you all fired up about it, it's a breath of fresh air. Spz fans so often come across as a jaded and cynical bunch. Of course there's always going to be people who miss their first Spz experience of drone/psychedelia, but I think it's great that Jason has been able to vary his output. And there will be an electric tour soon enough...
Can't wait for the Union Chapel gigs! Thanks for all the reviews people. :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'