beers with the Spaceman / 1st hand news / SF show

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

w0rdjunkie
New user

beers with the Spaceman / 1st hand news / SF show

Post by w0rdjunkie »

This is my first post to the forum, but I've been a long time Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized fan. I was at the San Francisco Bimbo's show last sunday (amazing, amazing show) and the night overall was one of the coolest in recent memory. My girlfriend and I ended up hanging around the venue after the show on the off chance of getting Jason to sign one of the limited edition silkscreens they sold at the show and, after about an hour of waiting, we actually did run into him.

I was almost too starstruck at first to even speak right, but we talked about the show for a bit and he ended up inviting us out for a pint and so went along and hung out for about an hour or so. It ended up being me, my girl, Jason, his manager, Simple Kid, and one more guy who was really nice (I think his name was Eric).

Anyway... He's one of my top three musical idols and it was without a doubt one of the best nights of the year for me, but I'm not posting this just to brag. (ok, maybe a little bit to brag :mrgreen: ) The real reason is a few things came up in conversation that I thought might be of interest to all of you. So here ya go:

1. For those going to the US shows, you'll be surprised to learn that they threw the whole thing together after only three days of being in the US - that includes hiring the gospel singers and string players because they couldn't afford to fly them over from the UK. In addition, they had to hire a different set of string players for the east coast dates because they didn't have the resources to fly the west coast performers over.

2. For those who are sad that the tour isn't coming to your area, you won't get the acoustic mainlines, but Jason said they have an electric tour planned for next year which I'm sure will hit more areas.

3. He also told me that he just got done recording the music soundtrack for the new Harmony Korine movie (he's the guy who made Kids, Gummo, and Bully). He said it was just a score, no lyrics, but I'm still really looking forward to hearing it.

4. He confirmed that they wrapped the new album and said he felt good about it.

5. I asked him what HIS favorite Spiritualized album was, and he said that at the moment it was Pure Phase. Said it was good listening for driving and when it's raining out.

6. Finally, I asked him if he'd been listening to anything really good lately that he'd recommend and he recommended a collection of music by Greek Immigrants to the USA, recorded right after they arrived in the country back in the early 1900s. The album is called "I don't feel at home in this world anymore." He seemed really into it so I plan to check it out if I can locate a copy.

Anyway, there's lots more but those are the things that I figured most people on this site would care the most about hearing. It was seriously one of the best experiences I've had. I try to be cool, but I was fuckin starstruck that night, I must admit. He was awesome-- really friendly, talkative, a bit easily distracted, but good humored and so nice.

So.. I hope thats of interest for some. I'm still awestruck over here.

best,

Case
TakeMeToTheOtherSide
New user

Re: beers with the Spaceman / 1st hand news / SF show

Post by TakeMeToTheOtherSide »

great post, chase! thanks so much for sharing your experience, including all that cool info, with us! i've hung out with jason a couple of times, and he is a really nice, down-to-earth (no pun intended!) guy, and that certainly came through in our post. congrats!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

just the fact he invited you out for a drink is so cool. he is one of a kind. never forgets those who he has met before. and clearly at the top of his game right now. he is having so much fun. its just a shame more people couldn't see this re: the limited N American dates.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

It sounds as though the budget for this North American tour has been threadbare to say the least. Is J. even signed to a label at the moment? If he's not, who's putting up the money for these shows?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

you are correct. Jason is funding this tour himself and he is currently w/o a label at the moment. And there is much interest.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Maybe the next album will be Pure Phase II! We can hope...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

what a top evening that turned out to be for you. Thanks for sharing, sounds like some great memories were made :)
I think I feel it coming on
wolfboy
New user

Post by wolfboy »

This is the record, it's great!

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=39010
w0rdjunkie
New user

Post by w0rdjunkie »

I checked out the previews on that site... sounds awesome. Now I have to track down a copy.

Oh, and for those who want to hear the bimbo's show, I posted the torrent tracker for ther recording here:

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... 473#p52044

it's a great recording... quiet audience and crisp sound.

Case
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Album you can find here:

http://bolachasgratis.blogspot.com/2007 ... chive.html

click "try it" and download from the mirror site.

enjoy