The Heads - a gig at last!!

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

The Heads - a gig at last!!

Post by runcible »

Sonic destruction awaits those who fancy it.

This from their MySpace:
We've booked a gig at the Attic Bar in Stokes Croft on Saturday April 5th,as a warm up for our appearance at the Roadburn Festival .We'll be on stage at midnight. Support has yet to be confirmed. Tickets are available from the Bristol Ticket Shop at £6 + booking fee. For those of you who may be travelling from afar,opposite the Attic Bar is the Full Moon,where they have a youth hostel for backpackers.

A little road trip beckons I think!
Laz69
Known user

Re: The Heads - a gig at last!!

Post by Laz69 »

Holy SHIT!!!

Need to get some serious finances organised!!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Saw them at ATP last month, probably my favourite band of the whole weekend. Hope you all have a good 'un.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Laz - check their MySpace as there are details on the backpackers place they recommend which is cheap.

Be nice to meet at last and sup a pint or 2.

I can't see them being anything other than prodigious. Likely to be a predictably shortish set - normally just under an hour, but they sure cram a lot in.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Barring hell or high water, my uncle and i will be making the trip down for this.

I'll check out the hostel details. Need to get my tixs first, then sort out flights.

Yeeeeaaaahhh!!! 8)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Laz wrote:Barring hell or high water, i will be making the trip down for this
runcible wrote: Be nice to meet at last and sup a pint or 2

Right. Laz/runcible, if you do go down to this gig and also meet up for a pint or two, then my advice to the both of you would be to have those pints at very cool bar called Zero Degrees, which is at the top end of Colston Street. Probably half a mile to a third of a mile between ZD and The Attic so quite easy to walk to and from each other plus directions are really simple to remember, but do go to ZD, especially if you're not frequent travellers to Bristol.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Tix bought! Woohoo!

Right.. just need to get there now!!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hot on the heels of the Bristol Heads gig is a genuine noisefest in London a few weeks later.

This from Rocket Recordings HQ:

Rocket Recordings
10th Anniversary Party

The Heads
White Hills
The Notorious Hi-Fi Killers
Big Naturals
Teeth of the Sea
Sawdust Caesars

Plus: Johnny Rocket psychedelic lightshow
DJ's: Rocket / Skill Wizard

Date: Saturday April 26th

Venue: The Cross Kings, 126 York Way, London (2min walk from Kings X) http://www.thecrosskings.co.uk
Doors: 7pm – 2am
Tickets: £6

No introduction required for The Heads obviously. White Hills are fantastic - incendiary Hawkwind-esque riffs. Notorious Hi-Fi Killers are heavy as anything. Big Naturals are long-time Heads mates and collaborators on the recent Rituals CDs. Sawdust Caesars made 1 incredible 7" on Rocket but that's all I've heard.

Apart from anything else it's worth the entry fee for Johnny O's extraordinary light show alone. The guy's a genius.

What an opportunity for wall of psychedelic guitar noise fans this is. I'm planning a 400 mile round trip to be there. Anyone coming? They Transmit - this one's for you man!

Don't come if you don't fancy having your brains melted.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

This is just helpin us US blokes to slit our throats as to our geography!!!!!!Equal time I say. Well, least I got a nice Dead in the Water shirt coming to me direct from Paul himself to wear at the T7 festival. Do let us know how this gig does go down then, eh? :twisted:
I think I feel it coming on
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

I've got two tickets going spare for the Bristol gig, face value if anyone wants them please PM me.
Can't make the gig, but all is not lost as I'll be at the London show!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:Hot on the heels of the Bristol Heads gig is a genuine noisefest in London a few weeks later.

This from Rocket Recordings HQ:

Rocket Recordings
10th Anniversary Party

The Heads
White Hills
The Notorious Hi-Fi Killers
Big Naturals
Teeth of the Sea
Sawdust Caesars

Plus: Johnny Rocket psychedelic lightshow
DJ's: Rocket / Skill Wizard

Date: Saturday April 26th

Venue: The Cross Kings, 126 York Way, London (2min walk from Kings X) http://www.thecrosskings.co.uk
Doors: 7pm – 2am
Tickets: £6

No introduction required for The Heads obviously. White Hills are fantastic - incendiary Hawkwind-esque riffs. Notorious Hi-Fi Killers are heavy as anything. Big Naturals are long-time Heads mates and collaborators on the recent Rituals CDs. Sawdust Caesars made 1 incredible 7" on Rocket but that's all I've heard.

Apart from anything else it's worth the entry fee for Johnny O's extraordinary light show alone. The guy's a genius.

What an opportunity for wall of psychedelic guitar noise fans this is. I'm planning a 400 mile round trip to be there. Anyone coming? They Transmit - this one's for you man!

Don't come if you don't fancy having your brains melted.
There are some rare occasions when i wished i still lived in London, this is one of them. Checked out Notorious Hi-Fi Killers last night and was well impressed, you just know they're going to hit the spot live. That line up for 6 quid/10 Euro! We'd be lucky in Ireland to get one/two of those bands for the same price Very tempted to go over for this but doubt that the finances could stretch that far at the mo. :(
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

IMHO this and the Spiritualized gigs are the gigs of the year for me. Yep NHFK are really great, their last record was fantastic! So looking forwards this!! WHAT A BILL!
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I listened to The Notorious HiFi Killers last night for the first time on MySpace after this tip-off.

5 minutes later I'd ordered their album.

They sound sooooo good.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Fuzzhead wrote:I listened to The Notorious HiFi Killers last night for the first time on MySpace after this tip-off.

5 minutes later I'd ordered their album.

They sound sooooo good.
Nice one. Most of the album is like that - guitar nicely distorted, crunching drum sound, rippling bass. A couple of the tracks are more atmospheric but still really good. It's a great album. Can't wait to see them live.

Generally speaking if stuff is on Rocket Recordings it's normally worth paying attention to. The White Hills album is also really good (http://www.myspace.com/whitehills) - more of a Hawkwind feel. And the guys from Rocket - Simon, Chris and Johnny - are brilliant people.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Thanks for the tip, Runcible. I'll listen to The White Hills later too.

The Notorious Hi-Fi Killers CD arrived earlier, straight from Cargo Records, who are distributing the album. And what a nice surprise - they even threw in a free Notorious Hi-Fi Killers T-shirt! It looks really nice - and it's my size. I love surprises!

Looking forward to blasting the album out later. Runci, I'll let you know what I think.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bollocks. I could only find my copy at Amazon and I didn't get a shirt!

Good for you - enjoy it!
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Yep NTHFK album is a cracker. Check the track "Near the Final Destination"- epic!
and_pea
New user

Post by and_pea »

there is a really good 1hour LIVE set from THE NOTORIOUS HI FI KILLERS online here http://breakthruradio.com/

it was recorded live at OLD SCHOOL STUDIOS, UK, on 2nd March 2008. feature tracks from the new album and their previous 7" a some unreleased stuff. i bootleg it on to my cassette deck and bast it out in the car!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Heads ripped Bristol apart last night. Never could four such unassuming looking people unleash such sonic devastation. And the sound was fantastic - I so rarely get to say that! The venue was really good too. Amazing set, incredible light show, great people.

Managed to miss Laz (sorry man) but caught up with some fantastic Bristol folk.

The ability The Heads have to push their massive sound one notch further is extroadinary - you could feel the noise rippling over you - yet again they proved themselves to be the best live band on the planet.

These shots I took during the sound check convey some of the intensity of the experience I hope. I can't wait for the London gig in 3 weeks.

sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Wow amazing show totally blown away best band on the planet right now those of you who can make the next few shows do it Cheers for the photos runcible Im gonna get a recording of the show put up soon Real good venue with a good acoustics and a sound enginner who obv knew what to do (for once!)
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

a first for me but went along and was most impressed ... just round the corner from home too which is always nice. The Hi Fi Killers played in Bristol a couple of months back with extended line up but sadly the gig wasnt nearly as busy at it could have been. Bristol can be a bit weird like that, I find. Do like the venue tho.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!!!

The greatest live band in the world? Definitely! The light show was simply cosmic, the sound was perfect, the band were awesome!!!!! The sheer force of sound that those guys muster is just indescribable. We managed to score some MDMA before the show and it all ended up a bit nuts, but it was just so perfect a night, nothing could stop us/them!

Missed Runci although thinking back i'm sure i saw him in front of me and should have said hi! Apologies!

Venue was fantastic with a real good sound. Big Naturals were a joy to see too. Will be looking for more from them. The Heads were relentless.

Can't think of any other words to describe how the sound/look live. GO SEE THEM!!!!!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Haha - glad you enjoyed it Laz. That band are something else. I can't imagine people who like fuzzy guitars not enjoying it. The music is so catchy and the delivery is mind-blowing.

Well they play in London in less than 3 weeks. I'll be at that too. Then in the summer there's a Wooden Shjips/Heads tour, starting on about July 12th. The only confirmed date is Amsterdam's Melkweg on July 15th but there's a chance they'll play Bristol at the end of the week. The Melkweg could be interesting - a few of us are planning a jaunt.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

oh my!!! the heads + wooden shjips + amsterdam = fun fun fun... :shock:

hmmmmm

M
Design.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Really great to see such enthusiastic gig reports Laz, runcible...thats what lets me lend my ear...

One for April's list

Cheers
Shoulders back, smash it
Mon1018
New user

Post by Mon1018 »

amazing show totally blown away best band on the planet right now those of you who can make the next few shows do it Cheers for the photos runcible .... Wow~~
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mon1018 wrote:amazing show totally blown away best band on the planet right now those of you who can make the next few shows do it Cheers for the photos runcible .... Wow~~
Mon1018 are you a board member playing a prank or a plagiarist enjoying themselves? :lol: If neither, forgive my suspicious thought process for i have too much time on my hands again and instead Welcome to the forum.

Hope someone will be willing to post a review of this weekends gig. I am extremely envious and to soften the blow i am going to see M83 & Mouse on Mars on friday night, hardly compares but still, tis better than nowt.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Well it was pretty amazing I have to say. My ears are still ringing like crazy this evening!

What a fantastic bunch of people this involved - everyone was really friendly from the band members to the venue people to the remarkable Rocket boys. Some birthday party...

Sawdust Caesars have played 2 rehearsals in something like 8 years so they were a tad rusty but lots of fun. Great guitar nashing and a killer closing track. Really nice guys too.

Teeth of the Sea were interesting but somewhat experimental. Ambient guitar noise, basic thump-thump drums (no proper drummer) and a few good moments. I wasn't that into it really. At one point one of them got out a trumpet and played a 'Rossini type tune (along the lines of 'just one Cornetto') over all this raging feedback and noise - a little different to say the least.

The Big Naturals are that Om-style monstrous bass and drums combo - no guitar needed as bassist Gareth made a massive wall of noise on his own. That's my 2nd experience of them and they're pretty decent.

Notorious Hi-Fi Killers somehow squeezed 2 drum kits onto the matchbox sized stage and really went for it. Not sure why they had a clarinet and sax player as they got largely lost in the driving noise the rest of the band made. When the Hi-Fi Killers flew they were great and the drummers were superb.

White Hills played very few (but very long) songs. Dave's guitar probably not loud enough but they were still good. I've forgotten his name but Doggen's drummer was with them last night (wearing a curious mask) adding more ferocity to their sound.

The Heads inevitably blew everyone else away. The Wooden Shjips will struggle to follow them in the summer. It was largely the same set as Bristol a few weeks ago - the opening jam was incredible and they just kept the intensity up. The sound was fairly distorted but by the end I was right at the front and it sounded better through the monitors than further back through the PA. Their light show was as amazing as ever and the crowd seemed to enjoy it too. No encore (never seen them do one ever) and a late 1.30 a.m. finish. That's some late drive back to Bristol for many of those guys.

Good to see Neil Transmit - sorry Sunny couldn't get in. The thing was sold out well in advance which is healthy. Again I met so many brilliant Bristol folk - roughly the same as last time in fact. That whole scene seems to be made of the nicest bunch of people you could hope to meet. Roll on the Wooden Shjips tour in the summer!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Roll on the Wooden Shjips tour in the summer!
When and where are the tour dates ?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I don't have definite UK dates. Holland is certain - July 15th at the Melkweg, Amsterdam, July 16th at 013, Tilburg. The tour runs from July 12th-19th, Birmingham likely at the start, London in there somewhere and Bristol as the last date. The Shjips have to be away on the 20th apparently. It seems the Dutch dates are the only ones confirmed so far.

As soon as I hear anything I'll post it.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Sounds great judging by your 'review', shame I was so slow off the mark..(excuse the pun). :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

The tour runs from July 12th-19th, Birmingham likely at the start, London in there somewhere and Bristol as the last date.
It will be at the weekend Supersonic Festival in Birmingham, held at the Custard Factory (Medicine Bar) and i just found this for a Brighton gig >>> http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user?region= ... id=video_c <<<
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Jig wrote:
It will be at the weekend Supersonic Festival in Birmingham, held at the Custard Factory (Medicine Bar)

Yeah, I heard talk of that on Saturday actually. I saw The Heads at the Custard Factory a few years back with Acid Mothers Temple. I hope the sound is better this time as it was mangled at the gig I attended...
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Tickets are available here for the London date
http://www.atpfestival.com/events/atp-l ... ?view=1162
ARTIST: WOODEN SHIPS
SUPPORT ACTS: THE HEADS
VENUE: CARGO
DATES: SUNDAY 13TH JULY 2008
TICKET PRICE : £12.00
VENUE ADDRESS: 83 RIVINGTON STREET, LONDON, EC2A 3AY
VENUE TELEPHONE: 020 7739 3440
DOORS OPEN : 7.30pm
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

the London date

Artist: Wooden Shjips
Support Act: The Heads
Venue: Cargo
Date: Sunday 13th July 2008

Sounds good, thanks.... 8)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

In case people are interested the full Wooden Shjips/Heads tour is as follows, with an extra (Shjips free) date at the start. No venue details as yet for Belgium...

7 Jun 2008 Thekla, Bristol - Venn Festival

Wooden Shjips tour:
12 Jun 2008 Supersonic Festival, Custard Factory, Birmingham
13 Jul 2008 Cargo, London
14 Jul 2008 Belgium
15 Jul 2008 Melkweg Amsterdam, Holland
16 Jul 2008 013 Tilburg, Holland
18 Jul 2008 Barfly, Brighton
19 Jul 2008 Croft, Bristol

A few of us are going to the 2 Dutch dates but I think that's as much as my ears and wallet can take.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

runcible wrote:The Heads inevitably blew everyone else away. The Wooden Shjips will struggle to follow them in the summer.
The Wooden Shjips might not even be awake to take the stage after The Heads so pillows to the ready. Relaxing With The Heads equals falling to sleep...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Jig wrote: The Wooden Shjips might not even be awake to take the stage after The Heads so pillows to the ready. Relaxing With The Heads equals falling to sleep...
Falling asleep to The Heads - sheer madness!!!

I hear this occured recently, in labratory conditions, somewhere just outside Glasgow.

The greatest excuse ever!
:lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Jig wrote: The Wooden Shjips might not even be awake to take the stage after The Heads so pillows to the ready. Relaxing With The Heads equals falling to sleep...
Thanks for that Jig. Constructive, informed and to the point. I'll have to bear that viewpoint in mind most carefully, and maybe change my entire opinion of The Heads as a result.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

BzaInSpace wrote: Falling asleep to The Heads - sheer madness!!!
I hear this occured recently, in labratory conditions, somewhere just outside Glasgow.
Very recently that happened. As recent as going to Mono Records to buy albums and only getting as far as the bar. I'll go in that shop soon. Mind, the blond beer did start to go down very easily.
runcible wrote: Thanks for that Jig. Constructive, informed and to the point. I'll have to bear that viewpoint in mind most carefully, and maybe change my entire opinion of The Heads as a result.
You're welcome runcible. I aim to be constructive and to the point and i am informed. I should have bought Relaxing With myself now knowing it can help you sleep more easily.
burst
Known user

Post by burst »

The Jig wrote: I aim to be constructive and to the point and i am informed.
That's odd - to me you just come across as slightly irritating.
Vince
New user

Post by Vince »

I am meant to be seeing Wooden Shjips in London - their stuff is fantastic. Are The Heads really that boring? From what I've read here they sound like they'd be pretty good.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

Vince wrote:I am meant to be seeing Wooden Shjips in London - their stuff is fantastic. Are The Heads really that boring? From what I've read here they sound like they'd be pretty good.
if you try not to think about ozric tentacles they're great :wink:
burst
Known user

Post by burst »

Ozric Tentacles? They're hippy trippy noodlers aren't they? The Heads are all out distorted noise monsters from what I can see!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

nasty wrote:
Vince wrote:I am meant to be seeing Wooden Shjips in London - their stuff is fantastic. Are The Heads really that boring? From what I've read here they sound like they'd be pretty good.
if you try not to think about ozric tentacles they're great :wink:
:? Is this a dig at the Ozrics or The Heads? All i can say is both are absolutely fantastic live.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

burst wrote:
Nothing to say about that really except good.

Oh about The Heads......it was only a bit of fun you know. 'Relaxing With' is exceptional.
burst
Known user

Post by burst »

The Jig wrote:
burst wrote:
Nothing to say about that really except good.

Oh about The Heads......it was only a bit of fun you know. 'Relaxing With' is exceptional.
All rather baffling.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

You can all make up your own minds when the "deluxe" Relaxing With gets re issued later this year extra stuff includes peel sessions etc
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

While attending Terrastock 7 last month, I met a guy from Canada who had attended this year's Roadburn Festival where The Heads played. He said the band walked through the crowd with their instruments took the stage, plugged in and blew everyone's head off without so much as even a sound check. He said it was utterly unbelievable unforgettable and amazing.
I think I feel it coming on
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm off to this gig next week. Got the Wooden Shjips album a couple of months ago and fucking love it. Haven't heard anything by The Heads yet. Any recommendations of what I should listen to/buy of theirs before attending.

PS: Can't believe its been moved from the Barfly to the Freebut...haven't been to a gig there in ages.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Well, Friday's gig in Brighton was simply immense. I was really looking forward to seeing the Wooden Shjips, having fallen in love with their album....and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. They absolutely rocked. Fucking brilliant. And The Heads....well, they were even better. What a noise! Just, amazing. Really blew me away. Met a couple of the boys (Simon and Paul?) at the merchandise stand after the show...really friendly and sincere. Mind you, I had just spent £40 on getting 2 t-shirts and 2 CD's (but they did throw in a CD sampler and lovely screen-print as a bonus). Fantastic night. My ears were still ringing 3 hours after the show. I can now see what all the fuss about The Heads has been all about.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

:D
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

The Cargo was a good night out. It's a cracking little venue, very relaxed and certainly one of the better ones in London. Missed the opening band (i think there was one advertised) but the Heads and Wooden Shjips were both very good.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

"Teeth of the Sea were... a bit different - there probably aren't enough psychedelic trumpeters in the world. "

Yeah...I thought they were pretty ace actually. Good trumpet sampling, though the guitarist looked like he was trying to copy Johnny Greenwood a bit too much for my liking. Plus, not entirely sure if it was his band's drum kit that he lobbed his guitar into! First time I'd been to the Freebut in ages...was really impressed with what they'd done to it. I thought the overall sound/acoustics was pretty good, though I was pretty near the front. What did you reckon Is?

PS: Can't believe you felt a little let down by The Heads.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I went with some friends to Amsterdam who hadn't seen The Heads before and they loved it. But shows obviously differ - the next night in Tilburg they tore the place apart and played one of the best sets I've ever seen them do. I've rarely known them not be incredible - normally it's the sound that's not right. But each to their own - I've seen what I thought were really awful gigs by various bands (including Spiritualized) that others thought stupendous.

The Ozrics comparison is highly mysterious though! I can't seen any similarities whatsoever apart from the fact that smoking dope has played it's part at some point.

Simon and Paul are very nice chaps as you discovered - they love to talk about their music and are always pleased with a favourable reaction. I hope Paul had replaced his glasses by then as he was using what looked like 2 monocles in Holland...
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Falling asleep to The Heads - sheer madness!!!

:lol:

Bastards!!
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

runcible wrote: The Ozrics comparison is highly mysterious though! I can't seen any similarities whatsoever apart from the fact that smoking dope has played it's part at some point.
Ha ha - was intentionally trying to wind you up there (only a bit)! Truth is, I went along to the rocket night in london (v stoned) having recently enjoyed a night at the full moon/eclipse (forget the right name).... i was talking to a mate at the end of the set and we both drew the same comparison at the same time, it tickled me, but I wish i hadnt thought it as it has put me off somewhat (records too). I can't explain, relentless riffs with that repeat-repeat-repeat-turnaround format maybe, I dunno.

Anyway, don't know if i'm on my own here but i honestly preferred the wooden shjips at the croft saturday... the heads played really well as always, but perhaps i found the former more interesting having seen the heads a few times in the last coupla months? Regardless I was well impressed with their live sound having only heard the recorded

That probably doesn't clear anything up does it.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
The Ozrics comparison is highly mysterious though! I can't seen any similarities whatsoever apart from the fact that smoking dope has played it's part at some point.
Yup, and they both use a lightshow to good effect. Musically though can't hear any similarities at all, live or on record, and i say that as a fan of both bands.