Spectrum-2008 N. American dates

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

redcloud
Known user

Spectrum-2008 N. American dates

Post by redcloud »

Although new to post on here, I've been reading this board for years. Anyway, I can't seem to find this info posted anywhere else on the board so this seems a fitting place as any. For what it is worth, I'll be at the Portland gig.

SPECTRUM 2008 LIVE DATES
02/02 - Silver Dollar, Toronto
04/02 (DATE AND TIME CHANGED) - Sonic Boom Records instore, Toronto 7PM
15/02 - The Record Bar, Kansas, Missouri, 10PM
17/02 - El Corazon, Seattle, 8PM
20/02 - The Rotture, Portland
22/02 - Melodica Festival, Dallas
23/02 - Club de Ville, Austin, Texas, 8PM
01/03 - The Compound, San Francisco, California, 8PM
02/03 - The Echo, Los Angeles, California, 8PM
14/03 - 12 Galaxies, San Francisco, California, 9PM

RC
redcloud
Known user

Re: Spectrum-2008 N. American dates

Post by redcloud »

Has anybody seen any of the earlier dates (Toronto, KC or Seattle)? If so, how were they?

For those in the Northwest, anyone going to Wed.'s gig in Portland?

RC
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I'll be at the LA gig at the Echo. Grimble Grumble are also opening. :D
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I'm sad to report that I think the Toronto gig will be my last Sonic Boom show. I was quite disappointed with what I saw that night, partly because I thought this might be the "full band" tour Sonic had been promising for 2008 (it was billed as "Spectrum", after all). But nope, just Sonic triggering and manipulating his sounds. The same setlist he's been playing for the last little while with really long versions of the 6 or 7 songs he does. Thankfully, someone bet him $50 or something he couldn't play "Transparent Radiation" and he did at the end using a guitar from the previous band and with someone jumping on stage to play drums for the last half of it. The last song of the usual set was particularly uncomfortable because the keyboard he was playing along to his sounds with was in the wrong key (or he was playing a poor choice of four notes). It was turned up pretty loud and I cringed whenever he played it. I wish him all the best and I'm glad he's still doing his thing but I think I'll limit my Sonic Boom to CD-buying and skip the live version. I was underwhelmed, if that's a word...

Peace.
phaseGlyn
Known user

Post by phaseGlyn »

I totally agree with all that you've said. I caught the Glasgow gig at the beginning of the year and left feeling somewhat empty afterwards, although I did enjoy the Kraftwerk cover.

In these days of internet bootlegs I had already pretty much seen/heard the show in 2007 and was looking for more from the gig.

I really wish he would put a full band together and start cranking out "How You Satisfy Me" and "Take your Time", etc.

Although the new album is due out soon, so you never know.