MBV Roundhouse tickets

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

sunny
Site Admin

MBV Roundhouse tickets

Post by sunny »

I have a ticket for MBV at the Roundhouse, London Fri 20th June and two tickets for Tues 24th June. I'm going on tour to Berlin and then Texas and won't be back until the Spz Brighton gig.

If anyone is interested PM me, my flat mate will check my messages and deal with selling the tickets while Im away.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
sunny
Site Admin

Re: MBV Roundhouse tickets

Post by sunny »

Scratch above post- my Texas trip might be postponed so I'm holding on to my tickets for now...
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Seems like there are more people from this board going to this night than were at Koko a few weeks ago for Spiritualized!

I haven’t felt this up for a gig for longer than I can remember. Last MBV gigs I went to were at ULU (both nights) supported one night by Sonic Boom and Godflesh or was it God?…or Silverfish? (Godfish?) Sonic was grooving side-stage throughout MBV’s set.

Also going Tuesday night along with the Spiritualized disliking mate (mentioned before), I have told him My Bloody Valentine are a bit like the Mojave 3!! Oh boy is he going to hate my guts!!!
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Yeah, this week's a write off in utter chair rocking excitement and nervousness. I never saw them before, in fact only found them about 5 years ago. Bit annoyed as only got seated tickets and, you know, it's that thing about comebacks. What if they're rubbish? What if i get too drunk beforehand? What if i'm not drunk enough? Should I listen to them on my walkman in preparation, or avoid them so i'm listening fresh? It's only Tuesday! Seriously can.not.wait! :shock:
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Although I can't say I'm anywhere near as excited as before the Spz Koko gig (which I ended up missing), it's still pretty high up there... I am weary of comebacks generally. I'm not too worried about Kevin's part in it, since his playing has stayed great- but I have no idea of where the other band members are at. Fingers crossed it will be great. I don't expect it to have the same effect on me as when I first saw them eons ago- but as long as it's good I'll be happy. :D
johnnyboy72
Known user

Post by johnnyboy72 »

As excited as I was by the Spz Koko gig I must admit that MBV this Sat is the gig of all gigs for me. Excited is an understatement.

Drowned In Sound have a brief review of their ICA show. Here's a snippet......

First off, I’d heard they were loud in their heyday but, Jesus Christ, we’re standing six feet from a speaker stack with brains sat on heads like ice cream scoops in a nuclear holocaust, blinking dumbly at a show so searingly molten you could cream the slag right off the top.

That's what I'm talking about! (to quote Lee from the Apprentice in embarrassing fashion)
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Argh- so my Texas tour just reconfirmed.... seems I'll be missing all of these gigs. Please write me some reviews people!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Oh man,

Ebbs - I share your pain, I felt exactly the same before seeing Arthur Lee and Love a few years back and it turned out to be one of my favourite gigs ever.

Johnny Boy - Thanks to that snippet I may not be able to sleep for the rest of the week.

Sunny - if the ICA review is correct you’ll be able to hear them in Texas!

Roll on Saturday!

:D :D :D
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

spectrum are done as support for one of the gigs too
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Some of you may be interested in this: http://burningworld.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -13th.html
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Tasty and fairly unsurprising setlist. I am NOT getting there late. I will gladly walk out on and desert friends, family and wife if ANYONE starts dithering about.

"Le Volume Courbe" are due for support (never heard of them) - can't find mention of spectrum anywhere, where d'you hear that?

Here's Le Volume Courbe's myspace. I can't listen at work so am going to refrain from comment.

http://www.myspace.com/levolumecourbe
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Which night are Spectrum playing? I hope it's Saturday!
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

A friend who really should now says it is Saturday. Hooray. I'll be there. Top night it should be.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

ononist wrote:A friend who really should now says it is Saturday. Hooray. I'll be there. Top night it should be.
Arse - I'm going Friday and Sunday!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

ebbsandflows wrote:Tasty and fairly unsurprising setlist. I am NOT getting there late. I will gladly walk out on and desert friends, family and wife if ANYONE starts dithering about.

"Le Volume Courbe" are due for support (never heard of them) - can't find mention of spectrum anywhere, where d'you hear that?

Here's Le Volume Courbe's myspace. I can't listen at work so am going to refrain from comment.

http://www.myspace.com/levolumecourbe
Le Volume Courbe are really cool. Very quirky, in a totally beguiling way. Don't miss them! Douglas Hart plays with them now too.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Spectrum and MBV... Can't wait!!!

flight booked: check!
tickets: check!
place to stay: check!
People to get drunk with: check!

perfect!

psssst! I'll be the guy wearing the one red shoe.
:wink:

M
Design.
repeater
Known user

Post by repeater »

Confirmation on the official Sonic Boom myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sonicboom
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Don't suppose anyone has any spares for the Sat night gig have they? Just lost out on E-bay due to the seller not getting back to me to confirm whether these were for the Sat or the Sun night?!:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=012
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

If you need tickets you could try here
http://www.mybloodyvalentine.net/smf/in ... ?board=5.0
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Spectrum will definitely be the support act on Saturday and BOTH Manchester dates - just had a text from the man himself. Plus there's a chance of the London show on Tuesday too.

The bonus - not just Pete on his own - it's a full band.

My instructions are to 'pass it on', so that's what I'm doing. Fucking brilliant - been years since I've seen a full Spectrum. Result!

Wow - just had an email too that says:

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know Spectrum - the full band - doing the highs, lows and heavenly blows of my career, will be playing with MBV at the Roundhouse this weekend and in Manchester next weekend.

The London shows are already sold out, but if you've got a ticket come along early to see us play.

The MBV support dates are:

Saturday 21st Sept - The Roundhouse
Saturday 28th Sept - Manchester Apollo
Sunday 29th Sept - Manchester Apollo

Spectrum will also be playing a couple of other summer dates ..

17th July - Sonic Cathedral, The Legion, 348 Old Street, London. Support from The Early Years and Flowers of Hell

More info and tickets from http://www.wegottickets.com

20th July - The Truck Fest - Spectrum performing on the Sonic Cathedral stage More info - http://www.thisistruck.com

21st September - ATP New York - Spectrum performing with MBV, Mogwai and many others

More to come later

Sonic
x

Something tells me he means June rather than September though!
unkle_karl
Known user

Post by unkle_karl »

I've got a spare ticket for Friday night if anyone's interested, face value. Email me at unkle_karl@hotmail.com

Sooooo excited, and also gutted it's not the Spectrum night. But i've been waiting for so long to see MBV, I can't believe it's only a day away!

Thanks
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Knackers! You see, we were hot off the mark getting these tickets (well over 6 months ago) and i'f we'd been not that bothered or a bit slacker we'd have got standing tickets with Spectrum in support. These kinds of additions annoy me a bit. If only Kevin and Sonic weren't so cuddly - who could stay angry with faces like that?

Still, one mustn't complain. In fact it might have been a bit dangerous to have two musical heroes in one gig. Actually if one of MBV breaks a finger or something after friday but before saturday then our efficiency will have payed off marvelously (except for Colm, the finger in question and all the other people with tickets)

Was toying with the sonic Cathedral gig but it's the night after Brian Jonestown, the night before a gig (playing) and two days before a birthday madness weekend, and I'm am no longer the wreckless youth I once was. . .
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Trying hard not to be distinctly peeved about this, especially if they do Tuesday as well!

Cool wet grass...cool wet grass....cool wet grass.....
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just bought 2 tickets for MBV on E-Bay for all of £5.50 plus £5 postage!!! Only problem is...the seller hasn't actually specified which date?! They are just listed as London concert. I guess this is what has put a lot of people off bidding for them. Luckily I can make any of the nights they're playing London but, after the Sonic announcement, my fingers are crossed for Saturday night.

(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=020)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
yalda
Known user

Post by yalda »

i really hope the tuesday spectrum rumor is true. my flight gets into heathrow at 8:30pm on the 21st. meaning theres no way i could make it in time for spectrum unless it starts at like 9pm... Im seeing MBV June 22 and 23. and just might do the 24th as well if its true.

going to manchester will also be hard, since i cant go the 28th and if i go the 29th i need to make it back the same night since my flight back is June 30th at 10am

:(

crossing my fingers......
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Has anyone here been to The Roundhouse before? We're trying to work out if it's worth going early or whether it one of those "£3.70 for a small bottle of carling" type affairs . . .

Work is suffering today on account of sheer levels of anticipation . .
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

ebbsandflows wrote:Has anyone here been to The Roundhouse before? We're trying to work out if it's worth going early or whether it one of those "£3.70 for a small bottle of carling" type affairs . . .

Work is suffering today on account of sheer levels of anticipation . .
Get there early! I rang the box office to get timings. According to them it seems that doors are at 7:00, Spectrum are on at 7:30. MBV are on at 9:00. The whole thing should be done and dusted by 11:00 allowing for delays (and 20 minutes for the audience to recover from the encore :wink:)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i'm even anxious to hear about how this goes down. i have tickets for september and in the back of my mind is that nagging suspicion that something is going to prevent it from becoming a reality.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

It was loud. Very, very loud. And fantastic. Ended with 20 mins of stobes 'n' noise. They sound superb.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Good job I bought some earplugs yesterday! See you all there tonight!
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Ear plugs are given out free at the gig! Great venue too.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

It was utterly, utterly sensational - right up there with the very best things I've ever seen/heard.

We had seats upstairs and I reckon we had the slightly quieter of it compared to the folks downstairs, compensated for by a great view and comfort. It was a bit sludgy sound-wise, but I found that if I cupped my ears a bit all the top end stuff came flooding in and it just sounded amazing.

Impossible to put into words what the 20+ minute wig out of You Made Me Realise at the end was like, but for anyone who was there, think the end of Spiritualized at Glasto 2004 and then treble it. Seriously.

Earplugs not needed upstairs, but judging by the reports on Drowned in Sound they might be an option downstairs - apparently it hit 129dB at the end!!

Gonna try a recording on Sunday I think, but it sort of seems pointless as it could never convey the sheer jaw-dropping majesty of their noise.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I was downstairs and it was very loud. I'm still deaf. I'm sure that's a good thing.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

129db - I can believe that - ears still well fucked - thanks Kev :lol:

My trousers and nostrils were flapping in the wind that was created by the sheer force of the sound.....

Was quite chaotic overall - totally dominated by guitar, could barely hear the vocals throughout. Really enjoyed it though - glad I saw them, my mate from work was over the moon - having been a massive MBV fan from circa 1994.

Could have done with trying that ear cupping trick. There were times when I sort of wished they allowed the more subtle elements of the music to come through. But then it wouldnt have been the same would it?

Excellent!
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Greeny wrote: Impossible to put into words what the 20+ minute wig out of You Made Me Realise at the end was like, but for anyone who was there, think the end of Spiritualized at Glasto 2004 and then treble it. Seriously.
I tried - It was like sitting inside the engine of a jumbo jet at takeoff.

To which my mate replied "No - concorde."

To be honest - I think Spiritualized do that sort of thing much better still
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I can't believe the 2 tickets I bought on E-bay for all of £5.50 have just turned up in the post. The seller must be gutted that a) he's not going and b) he never put the date of the gig on the auction therefore putting off a load of potential buyers. Had pretty much set myself up for disappointment but its all worked out fine. Sonic and MBV on a Saturday night....brilliant!!!!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

but it is your round
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

My right ear is still going neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I was a little worried this would be disappointing after seeing them so many times back in the late 80’s / early 90’s, but no, still a great band who (I reckon) are better live than on record. Real harsh sounding noise juxtaposed with lovely groove, you could dance if you wanted!

And Holy Shit!! You Made Me Realise was just great. I lost all perception of time and didn’t want that racket to stop, almost got to the point where I couldn’t hear it any more.

Spectrum good too, nice to see Sonic again. When Tomorrow Hits and Suicide a big treat.

Special mention also to the contributors from this board that I got to meet, some after a very long time, some for the first time, good to see you guys.

Going again Tuesday night (seats though rather than stage front) and I can’t wait!

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

:D :D :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thank God. After some disappointing reunion shows(Verve) at least one has lived up to it expectations(or way exceeded!).
Nice work Kevin & Co.
Now come to the US!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Sat night: very very very good.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

First 30 minutes of Friday's Roundhouse gig on film here: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v14255319dnJjj4TC
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Its was just insane. Easily one of the best events (music or otherwise) Ive ever been to. The I expected the volume. But it was way way way louder than any band Ive ever seeen. When you put your fingers in your ears you could hear all the singing. I was like two different gigs. The halocaust noise at the end was just. Wow. I dont know how to put into words what Ive seen and heard. I never thought I get to see this band play live. I am so happy that I did finally and they still delivered and exceeded my expectations. 6 stack amps of pure evil. Loved the way Kevin looked like he didnt really want to be there. the epitome of Rock and Roll nonchalance. and the soundtrack before they came on which got really mellow just before they came on to really contrast with the jet powered rock and roll. Amazing night
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It was a tremendous night - I've just got home after the most horrific journey ever - 7 hours on the train after everything at King's Cross was cancelled...

I thought Spectrum were great. Not many songs but a very correct Transparent Radiation, a really good When Tomorrow Hits and a fantastic Suicide. 2 new tracks mixed in - Mary, which was really good, played solo, and another less successful but quite interesting track. It's worth saying that this band only rehearsed for the 1st ever time 2 days before. Old Sonic buddy Ian on drums, Italian bass player Andrea (of Julie's Haircut) and a really remarkable performance from 24 year old Rupert Bowkett on lead guitar. Rupert had never played in front of an audience on stage before last night and had never used a wah-wah. What a treat he was and how beautifully he kept that drone going (on the playing on 'Suicide' Pete said 'oh, he really gets it'). Pete left them to it for a good 5 minutes of 3 piece Suicide and they really kept at it. Excellent. I spoke to them all after and what a thoroughly nice bunch they were. Worth noting how well Pete looked and how much he was enjoying himself.

MBV were excellent. I started upstairs but was able to wander about a bit and got perspective from downstairs too. I thought the sound upstairs was terrible because of the bass sound. It sounded like someone trying to bounce a half-inflated space hopper and this nasty thrrrumnp sound emerged much the time. The sound was better downstairs and I dare say it was really good closer to the stage (Spectrum's sound was great) but it was rather muddy from where I was standing. Musically however it was brilliant. I knew every track and felt they got everything right. Hearing the opening chords of 'Slow' made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Soon was absolutely delightful - you just didn't want it to end. The white noise during You Made Me Realise lasted for over 21 minutes - I timed it. It had really intense moments but I don't think it quite reached the extremity of years back. But a great set, great band.

Also - agreed on what a beautiful venue it is. I lived just around the corner from the Roundhouse about 20 years ago and the place was sort of derelict. Now it's a real eye catcher and has a lovely feel inside. Nice area upstairs and the area behind the stage was huge. I saw a bit of the back stage area which was really well done and comfortable. Some back stage/dressing room areas are horrible but the Roundhouse was lovely.

Nickh - a real pleasure after all these years.
Olan - great to meet you at last.
MODLAB - the standard was set with an excellent Greek dinner in Camden before. The evening just got better. Nice one Mark!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah it really was a great gig....though from all the posts on the MBV forum I was expecting it to be even louder (though I'm not complaining, it was loud enough). My only real complaint was, from where I was standing downstairs (kind of in the middle of the crowd but more towards Belinda's side of the stage), it was almost impossible to hear the vocals. Maybe I should have tried Simon's fingers in ears tip. In fact, the sound was so muffled from where I was it was sometimes hard to determine which song was which. Great light show though.

Oh, and great to see Sonic, though it was a very short set and I agree with Runcible on that new song...it didn't really work did it? Good versions of Transparent Radiation, When Tomorrow Hits and Suicide. First time I've seen him live in any capacity....definately considering coming up to see him in London at the Sonic Cathedral in a few weeks time (especially seeing as the Early Years are supporting).

PS: Runcible - sorry I didn't stop to chat...I was in a bit of a rush to get the train back to Brighton.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

what a show! sonic/spectrum was terrific, ending with suicide was probably the highest point
of the show for me. The sound was really loud and way too much bass in my opinion but
overall it did beat my expectations. For some reason I have a soft spot for ciggy in bed and
I was waiting for that wonderful warm fuzz to come in but i guess kev and co could not
program it.

it was nice to meet everyone.

Spiritualized in october anyone?

runcible: great dinner, the heads are great! and say hi to your cousin.
nickh: cheers! for the pint!
Olan: Nice to meet you and good luck on the numbers game.

best,

M

PS: Recovering after a hellish thunderstorm filled flight. bounce bounce fall bounce slow down bounce fall bounce...
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ads wrote:PS: Runcible - sorry I didn't stop to chat...I was in a bit of a rush to get the train back to Brighton.
I spotted you earlier but wasn't 100% it was you to be honest. I was slightly worse for wear for the whole evening. Good to say hello anyway!

Did anyone record Spectrum? I'd love to hear that again, particularly Rupert's guitar...
NickSignal
Known user

Post by NickSignal »

Utterly gutted! Heard about Spectrum doing the support (with full band) a week or so before and my gig of the decade was on the cards! Then I decided to drive up to Camden instead of the train. Someone, who clearly was unaware of my planned evening, selfishly decided to crash their car in Hammersmith causing utter gridlock in West London. A 25 minute trip turned into an hour and three quarters and I managed to catch the applause as Spectrum walked off stage. :cry:
Still, MBV were superb and 3 days later my right ear is still numb, despite wearing earplugs. It's like the gig that keeps on giving! It was quite amusing watching people gurning as YMMR kicked into the noise section. I counted 7 people in my immediate area with their fingers in their ears.
As per one of the previous posts, if anyone knows of a recording of the spectrum set, it may help me to calm down in time for the Legion show on the 17th.

Anyway, great gig. Let's hope it leads to some more in the not too distant.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Good news everyone! It took 36 hours but my hearing has returned! Don't clap too loud.

I was downstairs on the Friday. We all laughed when they offered us ear plugs. For 36 hours I walked round feeling a bit queezy when I heard ANY music.

JB
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

After listening to the ICA recording from last week and reading people's reports here and elsewhere it would seem that this is actually one re-union that works. Judging by the ICA boot they don't seem to have changed a bit from when i saw them in '92. I just hope the Electric Picnic decides to stick 'em in a tent and not on the main stage but i really can't see that happening unfortunately.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Despite all the deaf reports I didn't find it too loud at all.

The Rocket birthday bash at Cross Kings in April was miles louder - took me 5 days to recover that. I didn't wear the earplugs I was handed on Saturday and find no ringing remains today.
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Truly one of the best gigs for a long time. Usually when it's THAT anticipated it disappoints but they by far exceeded my expectations. I loved Kevin and Belinda's impassiveness against the growing maelstrom of chaos they were forming.

Lovely venue too, really really nice. Very impressed.

Bit of a messy night in the end - i now have bruises i can't explain . . . . Maybe they are sonic bruises caused by the last 20 mins. Mind you, my heart nearly jumped out of my mouth when that whole noise bit stopped only to return immediately after the tiniest of bass riffs. Truly awesome! The re-union bar has been raised.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:Despite all the deaf reports I didn't find it too loud at all.

The Rocket birthday bash at Cross Kings in April was miles louder - took me 5 days to recover that. I didn't wear the earplugs I was handed on Saturday and find no ringing remains today.
I certainly didn't find it too loud in '92 when they also were handing out earplugs (which i didn't use) so i'd be surprised if they were to have any affect on me now considering no gig is ever loud enough for me these days! I'll only get to see 'em in festie conditions this year and that's no way to compare sound.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

without turning into a boring sod, if anyone is still yet to go to see mbv, get some ear plugs, and not even the 19db cheapy rubbish they were handing out for free. they recorded 132dbA at the mixing desk in the roundhouse, which put very very simply. is going to fuck your ears up, with permanant damage.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

just on average, what is the normal output at a gig ?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

andyblacktoo wrote:without turning into a boring sod, if anyone is still yet to go to see mbv, get some ear plugs, and not even the 19db cheapy rubbish they were handing out for free. they recorded 132dbA at the mixing desk in the roundhouse, which put very very simply. is going to fuck your ears up, with permanant damage.
If this is true, then would this not have set a world record as loudest rock concert? I believe The Who still hold the current record at 126dbA, while heavy metalists; Man-O-War claim to have "unofficially" hit 129dbA. MBV's 132dbA would have shattered The Who's record and breezed past Man-O-War's.

Nevertheless, Andy's advice is very wise!

Mogwai hold the record for my ears. I saw them six/seven years ago at Brixton and it was so loud I thought the Academy was going to lift off into space.

Perhaps it did?
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

amusingly, spiritualized hold the record for me, a odd gig pushing let it come down at the sanctuary in milton keynes, was fucking ear splittingly loud.