Black Angels/Warlocks 6/23 Detroit

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

spzretent
Site Admin

Black Angels/Warlocks 6/23 Detroit

Post by spzretent »

I am going to try this again.
Whilst all my UK(and more) friends are waxing poetic about the recent MBV shows I was treated to this monster double bill.
And finally The Warlocks have lived up to my expectations. Fantastic set but unfortunately they were the opening band. Monstrous wall of beautiful noise. Some mew songs and plenty of old ones. Made me happy. Third time is a charm I supose.
Black Angels: Still trying to work my head around what i just saw. The opening few tracks were sparse, tribal and had the rhythm section mixed up really high. Reminded me of the Bunnymen quite a bit. But these guys have it down and are then things descended into chaotic, hypnotic, psychedelelic noise complete with the Pure Phase era stobes.
I used to go to at least 100 shows a year in my heyday. Now its few and far between. And it appears I have completely shed a generation of people who go to these shows. Odd feeling. I recognized about 4 people. So the future of space/drone rock is alive and well in Detroit. Good size crowd on a monday night and it was Detroit's Fireworks night(which gets about 1 million people on the riverfront). And we were able to see the fireworks from the outdoor deck at the venue in between bands as an added bonus
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
supershonn
Known user

Re: Black Angels/Warlocks 6/23 Detroit

Post by supershonn »

huh, how strange. that was the umpteenth time i'd seen the warlocks and they were really weak and thin sounding. that bassist can't hold her weight. it's a shame what they now sound like live. maybe it's due to the fact that they are the opening act, they don't get the full PA sound that they need.

as for the black angels, eek! that's the second time i've seen them and the second time i've walked out. you're right about the first few tracks, but then the set dissolves into chaos. i really can't see what the fascination is about these guys. but alas, i tried.

now anybody curious as how the Tom Waits show was??????

me!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i was really glad to see this post. i felt lame for walking out of the black angels after an hour. i just didn't really feel like an encore and i'd heard enough. i think that they are still too early on in the game to be headlining- they aren't real diverse stylistically and while that works really well for them on their records it really makes things drag after a while live. i also took some points off for the fact that they ever let their amazing female drummer (her name is stephanie right?) out from behind that set- no one else who sat behind there played as furiously or as heavily as she did and the fact that they switched her out to play bass after about 45 minutes was a real bad idea.
when i bought tickets for that show the warlocks were the headliners and i guess that the black angels were getting such a great response to their new record that it was flipped about a month or so out from the date, but i still feel like it would've been a better night if the groups had been flipped.
i'm curious about the tom waits show (i'm sure it was amazing).
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

All very interesting. The Warlocks seem like the most varied band ever, both in performance and opinion.

I've seen only really good shows but the last time they toured the UK some well seasoned friends of mine saw an incredible show one week followed by a disaster the next - where Bobby walked off after 1 song. I've also known apparently great shows be viewed as crap by others. Only seen the Angels once and they were great. But again I know others who thought it was terrible.

Horses, courses etc.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

While I did not see the Detroit gig I did see the Portland show earlier this month and thought the Warlocks were really weak. I saw them about five years ago and they were much, much better. But then again, they had two drummers back then and the VU/BJM inspired sound complete with fog machine and red lights worked a treat and felt fresh. Five years on and they are still doing the same thing and they sacked a drummer. I don't think I would pay to see them headline.

The Black Angels, however, well this was the second time I have seen them and here in Portland from the moment they took the stage it was a psychedelic freak-out complete with a 1960's style OHP liquid light show, film projections, heavy strobes and a total wall of distortion that smashed my skull to pieces. They were tribal, they were fuzzy and they droned for 90 minutes with the speakers on overload! Very loud indeed. I thought they were fantastic the first time I saw them live but truly astonishing the second.

It goes without saying that they blew the Warlocks off the stage.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm still kicking myself that I missed this at the beginning of the month. Two of my favorite new acts on one beautiful, psychedelic bill.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of the show - people complaining that The Black Angels were too slow and droney (is that a bad thing?) , etc. Still wished I could have seen for myself!

The more and more I listen to both bands' new albums, the more I love them, especially The Black Angels'. It seems like it's geared toward music fans like us....with the wah-wah pedals, sitars, and even a fucking jug!
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

if you had seen the warlocks in years past (prior to the Surgery Tour) you knew what they were capable of. they seem like a shell of their former selves.

as for the black angels, i've seen too many bands do the same thing only alot better. at least live. i've not heard the new album, i remember liking bits off of the first one.

the tom waits show was amazing, everything you wanted to hear was played. well for me at least, the only downer is that he closed on "eyeball kid". but the hi-lite of the nite was definitely a beautiful rendition of 'innocent when you dream'. tom made the crowd sing along, stopping mid chorus to boost the crowd.

then we drove to the grand canyon and last night's show didn't seem to be as important.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I am really enjoying the new BA album and I think that Warlocks and BA make a great bill.
Would have loved to see it personally. Glad you enjoyed it spzretent!!!

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well the two previous Warlocks shows I saw they just seemed so uninterested. Going thru the motions. And I really love the first two records and the new one. Monday night they seemed way more "into it" and that resonated with me. Am I correct in assuming they are sort of a shell of their former selves in that there are less people on stage now?

Black Angels live I am liking more and more and time passes. It was a complete throwback to pysch 60's freakout sort of stuff and I thought it worked really well. Including the strobes and lquid film backdrops.

Glad I went.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Like Runcible says horses/courses I saw The Black Angels in Leeds last month and they were brain crushing real heavy droney pretty much all the songs same tempo pounding i fucking loved it but i live for music like this, like early Spacemen 3 circa 87 when all the songs would roll into 1 no change in tempo just a heavy monotonous wall of drone and tremolo
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

and all i must say is bring it on !!!!! because i would really enjoy that experience!

M!
Design.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Were the Black Angels selling copies of their new album on vinyl at the show???
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

marcvolta wrote:Were the Black Angels selling copies of their new album on vinyl at the show???
Not in Portland, which was June 9th. I asked about it at merch and the band said it would be out later this summer. If I remember correctly he also said it was going to be 4 vinyls (8 sides!!). :shock:
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i've heard that the vinyl for the new album has been delayed until 7/31.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

At the merch table the list said Vinyl $20 sold out
and a DVD which was $20 and also said sold out.
Perhaps they never had these. I dunno.
I bought a few different show posters which were cool. Always good to put some $$ back into the bands pocket. And they were giving out badges and stickers. Which was nice.
veep23
Known user

Post by veep23 »

saw em in seattle... never really listened to black angels before but i like em now. what does it for me (honest to god)is the maracca shaking. chika chika chika. seriously.