brighton

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

bunnyben
Known user

brighton

Post by bunnyben »

the short time they were on they were amazing- great venue- but the gig was over before it began- the glasto setlist then two song encore. loved the dessert section
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
sunny
Site Admin

Re: brighton

Post by sunny »

bunnyben wrote:the short time they were on they were amazing- great venue- but the gig was over before it began- the glasto setlist then two song encore. loved the dessert section
:D Agreed! It was pretty hot in there too, wasn't it?! And some weirdoes in the audience. I wish I had taped some of the conversations going on, very bizarre commentary.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Amazing gig!
they were on fire

sooo many tall people though! All stood at the front?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

sunny wrote:
bunnyben wrote:the short time they were on they were amazing- great venue- but the gig was over before it began- the glasto setlist then two song encore. loved the dessert section
:D Agreed! It was pretty hot in there too, wasn't it?! And some weirdoes in the audience. I wish I had taped some of the conversations going on, very bizarre commentary.
ugh yes, so many times i heard 'i dont know this band bu instead of listening i'm gonna tell you all about the scandal that happeed to my friend...' so anoying

was anyone wearing a let it come down t-shirt and silver pointed shoes?
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

I know who the bloke with the silver shoes was. Why do you ask?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I thought they were on fire...best I've seen them in ages. Great fucking gig, slightly shorter than the set at Koko (I think they missed out Walking with Jesus, Lord Let It Rain On Me & Let It Flow) but much more intense and the strobes at the end were just breath-taking. Haven't seen the Glastonbury coverage yet to see how they transfer it to outdoor conditions, but I am so, so looking forward to seeing them at Green Man (even though I'm really gutted that they clash with Black Mountain who I really wanted to see).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Totally agree. Seeing them in a tiny venue when J really seemed to enjoy it was brilliant! Missed WWJ as well but thought TMTTOS was the best for years and following on from another thread - the interaction between J & Doggen was special. Really odd that it was all over by 9:30 but best gig for years.
Can't wait for Spectrum now! If the MBV reviews on here are realised it will be a brilliant gig. Haven't seen Flowers Of Hell yet so another potential highlight of this year.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I also though they were great. I'd been a bit disenchanted with the electric shows of the last few years, but this was right back on the money. The gospel singers add a lot. Not sure, but I think this and the koko may have been the first time I've seen them play with gospel singers. I think they should drop Lord Can You hear me though, The adrenaline filled songs are so good at the moment and with such a short set it seems a shame so go so slow and somber. Drop in Good times and Lay back in the sun in instead for a dream set list. Also, I think I prefer it with just two guitarists, and quite possibly without thighpaulsandra's key boards. From what I remember the keys sounded much more radleyesque, subtle underpinning rather than rinkle tinkle. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the AG tracks too, which sounded great with the new set up.

Was stuck at the back at the start, it was no where near loud enough, but once i got a but further forwards it was the best spiritualized gig I'd seen in years.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

SpacemanRob wrote:I know who the bloke with the silver shoes was. Why do you ask?
'cos i was stood next to him in the queue and felt sure that i'd read on this forum that someone always dresses like that. just curiosity really
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Review of this gig in the Independent today - not overly flattering, but there nonetheless.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Lazy Journalism at it's best.
Love to know how much they get paid for this shit - freelancin' moochers.
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

I really enjoyed this show but found it hard to get lost in the music like I have at previous shows (I've seen 'em 20 times + over the past 13 years)... I was near the front but still couldn't help but be distracted by the constant chatter around me and by those who were constantly pushing past to get to and from the bar.... (and by those who barge past to have a little boogie to one song then barge back past???)

Anyhow, I was impressed by the power this new stripped down line up have, 'Cheapster' & 'Come Together' really stood out... oh, and of course 'Take Me To The Other Side'. I would have liked to hear a few more off the new album (and something of Pure Phase!!) but hey, I'm greatful for anything I can get.

Roll on Portsmouth................. :D