spiritualized at pitchfork

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

veep23
Known user

spiritualized at pitchfork

Post by veep23 »

Hey guys... here is a stream for the Pitchfork Chicago set from KEXP.
http://kexp.org/streamarchive/streamarchive.asp
Look for the section on the bottom that says listen by time
type in the date: Sun july 20 and time 5pm
its sick! enjoy.
sunny
Site Admin

Re: spiritualized at pitchfork

Post by sunny »

:o Wow! I'm one song in and already totally and utterly blown away. Thanks for posting...even though I'm going to be pining 'cause I'm not over there in person... :cry: like a doggy in separation anxiety!
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

is it the usual setlist?
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

you lie you cheat
shine a light
cheapster
soul on fire
sweet talk
sitting on fire
she kissed me
come together
take me to the other side
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

thanks for posting but I cant get it to work. My internets all up the goose. Dont suppose anyone recorded it did they? sounds like they were in amazing form!!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

simonkeeping wrote:thanks for posting but I cant get it to work. My internets all up the goose. Dont suppose anyone recorded it did they? sounds like they were in amazing form!!

I couldn't use the media player, but it worked when I changed to the other option (real player or whatever it was).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thanks for this. I opted to go see them in Cleveland 8/1 instead of Pitchfork. I wanted the whole indoor full show. Not a daylight festival show.
So now I get to hear it anyway.
Best of both worlds as someone once said.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
thesameone
New user

Post by thesameone »

This was the first time I had seen Spiritualized and while I was told it's waaay better to see them indoors, this was the closest they/he was coming to me and my town's show hadn't been announced yet so I got tix....Anyway though! Ho-lee fuck. "Shine A Light" took my breath away. The whole set was incredible! The only thing was that it was too bad it wasn't longer, but I was expecting that anyway because it was a fest. I can't wait for the show here in a smaller venue, indoors, etc. That was great last night though. Another great part was that it was LOUD!
eggshen
New user

Post by eggshen »

will this set surface in a downloadable format anytime soon?
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

I've recorded it with Audacity but everytime I try to convert the Wav files I get an error saying it can't possibly due to DRM...wtf?!
Anyone suffered something similar with Audacity?

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Spiritualized were fucking awesome yesterday. I was teary throughout the whole set ... I guess I was overwhelmed by how good it was. Sound was spot on, except for one small segment in which the PA completely cut out. The band kept playing, though, and when it came back on it made for a really exciting moment because they in the middle of a balls-to-the-wall rock out. Jason's voiced sounded great and I loved the setlist. Very uptempo and heavy. I told my friends after it was over that it was the best show I'd ever seen ... maybe an exaggeration, but it's easily in my top five of all time. I definitely think it was the best I've ever seen Spiritualized play.

Jarvis Cocker also put on a stunning gig on Saturday night.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I forgot to mention that Jason was more fired up than I've ever seen him. At the end of the set he rammed his Tele into his (rented?) Marshall cabinet and jabbed a big hole in the grill cloth, then he threw the guitar into the drum kit. Badass. I loved the two soul singers, as well. Excellent vocals. Do NOT miss them this time around.
thesameone
New user

Post by thesameone »

TheWarmth wrote:except for one small segment in which the PA completely cut out. The band kept playing, though, and when it came back on it made for a really exciting moment because they in the middle of a balls-to-the-wall rock out
Yeah! That was awesome! I forgot about that! I mean, not awesome that the PA cut, but when it came back on....
TheWarmth wrote:I loved the two soul singers, as well. Excellent vocals
yeah!
TheWarmth wrote:I definitely think it was the best I've ever seen Spiritualized play.
awesome.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i recorded it. i've been working on trying to get it to sound better and i think i've succeeded somewhat. it'll be a few hours before i can post it on here, but i'll post it in mp3 and flac.
wow, it really was a fantastic set, though. i was looking forward to it all weekend and i almost left right after they played. it was kind of a bummer when the sound dropped out because it was during the last really long buildup in 'take me to the other side,' but man, they were really brutal. i thought the crowd was really good too- which was a surprise to me at pitchfork.
but yeah, hang tight and i'll post it here in this thread.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Fooking hell :shock: This is much much heavier than what we've seen in the UK.... going off the first five songs in anyway. I cant see it mellowing out from here... :lol:

Far more ragged and rough round the edges; the opening wig out was more like the Spiritualized I love:

Doggen is playing like he might be a bit pissed but is still brilliant.....

this is gooooooooooooood.....
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

here is the mp3 version of my recording of the pitchfork set. i'm going to upload the flacs to megaupload if anyone wants those instead of mp3s... flacs are next. :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZBXJ3MCY
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Thanks for taking the time to do this! Downloaded and will be listened to on the journey home. Cant wait!
8)
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

thanks shalloboi saved me a job, I had real probs with my version so....deleted! :D
Sounds good, I've grabbed the flacs, they sound really great on cd. Well done

sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

TheWarmth wrote:I forgot to mention that Jason was more fired up than I've ever seen him. At the end of the set he rammed his Tele into his (rented?) Marshall cabinet and jabbed a big hole in the grill cloth, then he threw the guitar into the drum kit. Badass. I loved the two soul singers, as well. Excellent vocals. Do NOT miss them this time around.

:lol: I can't believe I'm missing this... Did anyone film this?! I really want to see it.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Man the boy is on it at the moment isnt he! Spain, USA watch out guitar amps of the world!
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

not to nitpick...but could anyone make a direct copy of the audio stream from kexp for download? i was at the fest and I'd love to have a cd quality bootleg to listen to...
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Even though it's only going to be a shortened festival set, the version of Shine A Light alone is making me very, very anxious for Osheaga!! Awesome! The female backing vox do sound pretty cool!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

gottafire wrote:thanks shalloboi saved me a job, I had real probs with my version so....deleted! :D
Sounds good, I've grabbed the flacs, they sound really great on cd. Well done
cool- thanks for the kind words.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I can wait to go home and listen!
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just had a listen to this and there's definitely improvement compared to what i witnessed in Dublin and on the other recordings that have surfaced in the meantime :) Still not amazing but at least it didn't bore me either. Maybe by the time of the October gigs they'll be firing on all cylinders.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

This is excellent stuff, thanks for sharing! Please Jason, come and visit Scotland...

I just can't picture him hurling his guitar at the drum-kit...
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

it might not seem amazing listening on your home stereo, but being there in person was pretty damn impressive...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I agree with bcastle21. This recording is great to have, but it's not like being at the gig. I've only had a chance to listen to a little of it, but my recollection of the overall sound was that the guitars were more upfront in the mix. On top of that, it was just a great atmosphere and the band was having a blast.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

this is kind of odd, but i just listened to part of the kexp stream for the first time and the difference is like night and day. where i was (obviously) the guitars were barely audible- at least they were nowhere near as clear as they are in the stream- for the majority of the set and you don't have those strange inexplicable drops in sound that have always seemed to plague the sound at the entire festival (which has always been true there for whatever reason).
i also didn't realise it wasn't just a crappy real audio stream. this might seem like an odd move since i've already gone to the trouble to upload my own recording and such, but i think i'm going to go ahead and take some time tomorrow and record the stream at the cd quality setting (or the highest setting if i can) and then edit that and convert it to flacs. interestingly i feel like i'm hearing things that i wasn't able to make out at the actual show when i listen to it. the guitars did not sound that clear at the show, that's for sure.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I was in the front for this one and it sounded amazing (unlike a lot of the other performances). Spiritualized completely floored me. Jason was pissed - too much sun? Knocked a mic stand over, then a stage hand picked it up and Jason mouthed "no" to him. haha. Then at the end of TMTTOS, they blew out the PA (or so I'd like to think), and Jason just lost it. He hit his black Tele (not rented because it had the green cross on it) against the rented head, which was only saved by a stage hand, then knocked over all the mic stands, rammed the head of the tele through the mesh screen of the marshall cab, then ended it all by throwing the guitar against the drum riser and walking off. The rest of the band sat there, cool as shit, and finished up the noise. Jason came back to show us all that he was not pissed at the fans and did his applauding-the-audience thing.

Fucking fantastic. I couldn't believe it. Thank you for these recordings.

(pictures coming soon. I just got back home...it's 2:30am here, but i'm feeling 4:30am because of jet lag)
squoggy
Known user

Post by squoggy »

Sounds fuckin ACE...roll on Manchester gig..
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

Sorted my recording of the stream. I'll post the link later

simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I was in the front for this one and it sounded amazing (unlike a lot of the other performances). Spiritualized completely floored me. Jason was pissed - too much sun? Knocked a mic stand over, then a stage hand picked it up and Jason mouthed "no" to him. haha. Then at the end of TMTTOS, they blew out the PA (or so I'd like to think), and Jason just lost it. He hit his black Tele (not rented because it had the green cross on it) against the rented head, which was only saved by a stage hand, then knocked over all the mic stands, rammed the head of the tele through the mesh screen of the marshall cab, then ended it all by throwing the guitar against the drum riser and walking off. The rest of the band sat there, cool as shit, and finished up the noise. Jason came back to show us all that he was not pissed at the fans and did his applauding-the-audience thing.

Fucking fantastic.
proper rock and roll 8)
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

...oh and the best "shine a light" i have ever seen/heard.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Does anyone have the KEXP stream? or even the stream from the pitchfork site?
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

ok, i just recorded the kexp stream just to find out that they cut out all the "fucks". which means there are a few skips in she kissed me and come together. that kinda pisses me off that kexp would do that.

did anyone record the pitchfork stream? cause i'm sure that wouldnt be edited for sensitive ears...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Thank you all! Three different versions of the same gig? Unheard of!

Here are a few pictures I took:

And now....THE DESTRUCTION.... (hah)

Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

squoggy wrote:Sounds fuckin ACE...roll on Manchester gig..
Yup - seconded. I'll be there.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

gottafire: any chance you can up regular mp3's of the KEXP version?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Wow. The KEXP version is fantastic. The sound is not as good as the Norwegian Wood bootleg, but Jason's performance is above and beyond on this.

Thanks Gottafire!!!!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Near the end of Cheapster, Doggen's amp went out. I remember Jason looking over at the stage hands scrambling to fix it, then going straight into an improvised solo with his wah wah pedal, covering for Doggen. It went over so smoothly, I almost shat myself. You can hear it in all it's glory on the KEXP stream.
melbatunes
New user

Post by melbatunes »

I attended the Sunday show for Pitchfork. Boris and King Khan were amazing, but after the Spiritualized show I was re-baptized and born once again (though never asked). Instead of the mandatory light show, the band was bathed in sunlight and heat. Jason performed as if in a trance and the band was collectively ONE unit of soouuunnddd. They were louder than Boris and Dinosaur Jr combined, but never unpleasant....like a beautiful hurricane of guitar waves washing over me. Come Together was a gospel-psych anthem and all I could think of were the people passing by outside of the festival tuning into the sounds and being lifted off into the stratosphere against their will. I have seen Spiritualized many times previous in the Chicago area, but this was truly a special show; A VERY SPECIAL MOMENT IN MUSICAL TIME. The opening "You Lie Cheat-Shine A Light" was earth shattering (maybe better than "Cop Shoot Cop" I saw at the Metro years ago) while the finale "Take Me to the Other Side" with sound failure + guitar destruction left me with smiles. Thank you Mr Spaceman and I will be seeing you at the Metro in September.
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

is it just me who got weird skips all over she kissed me and come together? it seems like it just happens when he uses the dreaded f-word.

being a perfectionist this is a bit of a nick in a near perfect boot...

damn kexp.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

A massive thank you for sorting this. Shine a Light is fantastic!
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

the warmth...download mediamonkey and convert your flacs to mp3. Sorry, you know megaupload, it took me over three hours to get this show up, I just can't be dealing with converting and re-upping...

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I have them as AIFF files. Do you have a mac?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A bit of aggression AND a new T-shirt. Seems Jason's upping the ante for this leg of the tour. :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

man that is some heavy playing! If he was pissed Jason needs to drink more often. So aggressive and FULL sounding. Thanks alot for ripping this!
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

the quality on this tour has been astounding in my opinion, the Sheffield show was fantastic, just a pity there aren't more recordings doing the rounds.

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

toomilk: Yeah, I'm on a mac, but I think I found a program to convert the flac files. Going to try to sort that out tonight when I get home. I'll let you know if I can't get it to work. Thanks.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got the KEXP flac files converted to mp3. If anyone is interested, I can upload and post a link.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I am interested, Warmth.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

me too warmth, big thanks if you can 8)
I think I feel it coming on
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

many thanks!
thesameone
New user

Post by thesameone »

Thank you, TheWarmth!
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

TheWarmth wrote:I definitely think it was the best I've ever seen Spiritualized play.

Jarvis Cocker also put on a stunning gig on Saturday night.
completely agreed on both performances.
everyone i was with thought the same thing.

cheers!
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://pitchfork.tv/?p=pitchfork-live

"Shine a Light" is up on the site. Fantastic!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Pitchfork.tv has put up full sets from a few bands from the 2008 festival. They have Jarvis Cocker, The Hold Steady, and Les Savy Fav so far.

Here's hoping they put up Spiritualized's.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I just sent the people at Pitchfork.tv a kind request to put up Spz's performance at last year's festival.

My fingers are crossed. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Well...that was the fastest response ever:

"Hey Kevin-
Thanks for your interest in this... Unfortunately, Spiritualized wouldn't give us permission to post their performance. We've got some other good stuff coming though. Stay tuned, and thanks for writing.

-RJ"

Bummer. :(