The Echo, experiences

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

dselevan2
Known user

The Echo, experiences

Post by dselevan2 »

Wow. Just got home from the Myspace show at the Echo. First off, thanks to Spazed and Spiritualized for making it all happen. You guys are amazing.

The show itself was mind blowing. The show was the best I've seen since 1995. First off, it was loud, but small, so you could see everything going on. The band were perfect. The free jazz in between songs, the swaying of the people during the songs, the songs I've never heard, the songs from Spacemen 3. So great, the best band in the world for sure.

Meeting everyone from the band at different times was really special. They were so cool about meeting fans, signing things. Even Jason would leave the autograph line and apologize and say he'd be right back. It was great. I only regret not getting to meet Spazed,

Dave
toomilk
Known user

Re: The Echo, experiences

Post by toomilk »

It was hands down the best live show I've witnessed in my life. And it was free.

Fucking loud and perfect. Even the lights were going a bit. Doggen is the man. Just watching him play "She Kissed Me" 3 feet in front of you is something very special. The man is fucking good.

I had to wait a long time to get in and a long time for it to start, but it was all worth it. Bradford Cox did the opening DJ set and it was really nice. Spiritualized blew me away. I almost couldn't drive I was so floored.

And they gave everyone a large numbered print of that really cool flier. :D

....bring on tomorrow!!!!!!!
lake.st.clair
Known user

Post by lake.st.clair »

Yes, you could NOT beat that show.

I was the tall guy 2nd from the front just behind the REALLY tall guy. But we had been there since literally 1pm. He proved very useful for a brace as my soul kept trying to leap out of my body and onto the stage. I had to hold myself up somehow, and he was gracious in accommodating me.

SO.

Wish more people were dancing, because really, that show had soul. He's on fire. They tore it up at the Hollywood Bowl, and they ripped it to SHREDS last night. Every song was brilliant. Jason is at his finest. Great band, all nice folks for sure. I feel so good about Spiritualized and this tour and music and wow Bradford Cox DJ'ing to boot and to top it all off, what song came on RIGHT after the show?

Heatwave - Martha and the Vandellas

Listening to the Detroit show right now.

Spzretent I have a poster with your name on it.

-matthew
eruditemike
Known user

Post by eruditemike »

Anyone record this? Please, please, please...
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Amazing grace indeed...my God that show was intense!

First off thank you to the guardian angel who put me on the guest list (you know who you are), I appreciate it more than I can express right now.

Random thoughts...

Phenomenal...the club was so small and intimate (about the size of my art studio) that when I walked in I couldn't believe it. Someone asked me "how are they gonna fit everything on that teeny stage?". Very good question I thought, but they managed to do it. To see them all up there in their positions when the show started reminded me of a miniature nativity scene that one would place on the fireplace mantle during Christmas time. And then came the sonic overload of Amazing Grace....this was indeed going to be a spiritual experience, and I braced myself for the emotions that would flow for the next couple of hours. The musianship and singing by everyone in the band was at virtuoso level. The angelic backup singers were perfect. The bass hit me right in the face hard. The drums nailed me right in the chest and heart. The two guitars swirled like a hurricane in my mind. And the keyboards balanced everything out. A unique sonic overload thats stands alone amongst the many bands I've seen in my life. LOUD and BEAUTIFUL!

I was able to grab a setlist at the end of the show, and meet Jason at the side of the stage. I mentioned to him that my older brother had passed away several days ago, and if he could sign it for him. I wanted to give the setlist to my late brother, and have it laid to rest with him for eternity. Jason graciously offered his condolensces to me, and readily signed the setlist. I was able to thank him for the power and beauty of his music, and how much he meant to me and my brother. Thank you Jason.

Finally, I was given beatiful poster commemorating the show that they were handing out as I left the club. What a bonus to a night that will in my memory forever.

Thank you Spiritualized.
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
eruditemike
Known user

Post by eruditemike »

Condolences man...thats ruff! Thanks for sharing your experience!
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

They blew the roof off the Echo last night. Stellar set. Everyone was in a great mood(except the door guys, but hey, who really wants that job right?) I can't get over how amazing it was. Shonn, it was great to see you there, lucky eh? Thanks to the band and everyone who made it happen. ears....still.....ringing.... :mrgreen:

http://www.myspace.com/oldtoytrains
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

p.s. the new song is awesome.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

ugh i just getting up and it feels weird as my balls, brain and soul were left blasted behind at the club last nite.

what an amazing show, absolutely. that was one for the history books.

and a massive thanks to Bo for "lifting" my spirits before the show.

for anybody that didn't make it they were filming it, i'd say keep an eye on myspace for details.

my only wish is that i would have met a few more of you(s).

mysoulhasbeenspiritualized

me
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It is incredible how this band is able to transcend just being music and having this affect on people. And then post show Jason is around to make it that much better. I just wish I weren't 3000 miles away or i'd have been there at 1pm w/all the other die hards.
Sounds like a once in a lifteime experience.
Color me jealous!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Best show ever! Who filmed it?
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I made some crappy recordings on my iPhone. It was so cool when everyone was singing along to Ladies and Gentlemen, Jason looked so HAPPY! At first he was yelling at band members, "FASTER!" than at the end of the show he just had to hold up his fist in triumph. Oh man what a great show. I'm only bummed I didn't meet Spazed.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

who taped it?!@!
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

lake.st.clair wrote: I was the tall guy 2nd from the front just behind the REALLY tall guy.He proved very useful for a brace as my soul kept trying to leap out of my body and onto the stage. I had to hold myself up somehow, and he was gracious in accommodating me.
-matthew
Your energy was infectious Matthew...I was just to the left of you a few feet away, and saw you bobbing and weaving throughout the night. It really is hard to stand still with that kind of pulse obliterating ones senses. I was in a zone of my own, entranced by the vibes.

As far as video, there were two guys with giant video camera's on either side of the stage (on the floor) who looked "official" . I saw them take their places a minute before the show began, but they were very discreet and basically disappeared for rest of the show. During the encore, I got some excellent still shots on my cell phone...one in particular was from stage left looking towards Jason. The rest of the band were silouhetted in the dark with only a shining light on Jason, surrounded by haze...he looked as if he were appearing from Heaven... I'll try and post some shots later, after I gather my wits and am able to digest this whole experience. Can't get it out of my head...
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I am still speechless, and trying to convert the video I recorded to something watchable.

One of the top 5 shows of my life, I cried like a baby on Shine a Light. The sound and the lighting were perfect. Thanks to everyone who made this happen for me. Truly a beautiful experience to have that kind of intimacy with your favorite band from another country no less!

pee ess. My brother and I both had various moments, at different times of course, where we felt taht we were being sucked into a different dimension. fucking amazing.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

God damn. I even saw Spiritualized again tonight and I still can't get over last night. I am definitely going to get a frame for that poster.

Matthew- I was directly next to you, wearing a red plaid shirt. You looked like you were going through a hippie acid trip combined with a religious experience. Brilliant.

PS: Everyone should go to the myspace secret show page. They posted a lot of amazing pictures from the show. Here are a few of the highlights (for those of you who don't have a myspace):

Image(i'm in this one)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Well i am officially green with envy. October can't come soon enough.

Was the setlist the usual?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It was the same as the Detroit show*, yes. But there was an insane length of white noise at the end of TMTTOS. Probably 10 minutes of it(?) and it seemed like a lot of things were more improvised than usual.

*EDIT: They also played the new song. What's it called again?
Last edited by toomilk on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

gulp.
r1vers
New user

Post by r1vers »

i'm in that one too! awesome. going to get it framed as well.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

toomilk wrote:It was the same as the Detroit show*, yes. But there was an insane length of white noise at the end of TMTTOS. Probably 10 minutes of it(?) and it seemed like a lot of things were more improvised than usual.

i saw you! we were sorta close in the line.

i asked jason on saturday what the new track was called but because the guy from the hives was blabbing away on stage i couldn't make out what he had said. sorry.

and yeah that brilliant ending for TMTTOS was right around the ten minute mark, WHOA that was great.

toomilk are you going to the valentines in LA?

also can anybody put together the setlist? please!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I won't be going to The Valentines. I'll be in San Diego for at least 2 months now that my "summer of fun" is over.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

So NO ONE recorded the Echofest?!!?!!
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

I'm so bummed to hear that this and the Hollywood bowl shows were so good............. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I've been so apprehensive about seeing them since A&E came out because I don't care for it so much and after seeing so many bands I held in high reguard the last few years that have kinda let me down, I'd rather listen to records of the stuff I really like instead of being let down live.
I was afraid that the shows wouldn't be anything like the early, loud electric stuff after the Acoustic Mainlines (which I enjoyed to a point) and A&E...guess I was wrong...!!!
Was gonna try and go to the Echo show anyway, but I wouldn't be able to get there until probably 6pm and I knew that would be pointless...
I guess this gives me hope again and will wait for the footage, new stuff, and hopefully a return visit!
-grant
Pure Phase Phorever!

P.S. I always thought Amazing Grace was/is and fantastic & powerful album even though it was always slammed and written off by many.
talking about music is like dancing about architecture
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

toomilk wrote:I won't be going to The Valentines. I'll be in San Diego for at least 2 months now that my "summer of fun" is over.
i know someone who is holding a ticket if you are interested.
grim66
Known user

Post by grim66 »

feetsies wrote:lol, love the sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCmg33YFqe0&NR=1

I took that video! :) I'm the guy in the wheelchair that was in front of Jason.
grim66
Known user

Post by grim66 »

toomilk wrote:It was the same as the Detroit show*, yes. But there was an insane length of white noise at the end of TMTTOS. Probably 10 minutes of it(?) and it seemed like a lot of things were more improvised than usual.

The new song, according to the Echo setlist, is "Life is a Problem."
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I was the one dancing around and smoking pot near the front on the bar side wearing a light blue shirt...
I wish I had Jason sign my poster with a sharpie, but it looks nice framed!
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

dselevan2 wrote:So NO ONE recorded the Echofest?!!?!!
Doesn't look like it eh David? Shame that, sounds absolutely amazing
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

well, I had Recorder on my iPhone but it got annoying and I put it in my pocket which may have ruined the recording. I think it was also too loud. As mentioned, the show was filmed, and maybe if we ask Spazed, and the quality is good enough, they will release it. This was the best I've seen spiritualized since 1995 Pure Phase tour, which says a lot. BEST version of Lay Back in the Sun, possibly ever, best band. Interestingly, no special light show.
I think the video will be amazing and I feel so lucky to have been there.

The video of the Portland show on youtube looks amazing as well!!!!
grim66
Known user

Post by grim66 »

I uploaded my photos from the Echo to photobucket, if anyone would like to see them.

Spiritualized at the Echo
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

dselevan2 wrote:Best show ever! Who filmed it?
I took a couple of short clips on my camera. They're on my YouTube page (can't get the exact URL since work network blocks YT)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=quartzcity

Photos are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quartzcity ... 386564594/
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

grim66 wrote:I uploaded my photos from the Echo to photobucket, if anyone would like to see them.
grim66 I think I was standing right next to you.
grim66
Known user

Post by grim66 »

Chris Barrus wrote:
grim66 wrote:I uploaded my photos from the Echo to photobucket, if anyone would like to see them.
grim66 I think I was standing right next to you.

Cool! Wasn't that a great show?????
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

awww yaaah.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Nice one Toomilk.
ImageImage
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf9VLi-2Rbk

Found this footage...looks amazing!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

you just made my morning.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Dave check the thread I started on the music forum. A few other clips.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Cool. So many professional video people, no complete video!
It was the best Spiritualized show I've seen since 1995. Surprisingly, there was very little in the way of a light show.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.vimeo.com/2344650

Just found this. It's exactly like the youtube one posted above, but 2x the quality.

Twas such a great night... *sigh*
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

how amazing would a complete DVD of that show be in that quality. It was obviously professionally shot.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

So did anyone actually record this? I so wish I was American, I'd have camped outside for 2 days to see this. From what people have said it was absolutely awesome...
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

spzretent wrote:how amazing would a complete DVD of that show be in that quality. It was obviously professionally shot.

hmmm, this is one of those times that i really don't want anything from it released. i'll try to say this without coming off like an asshole. BUT! it was such a perfect night. everything from the intimacy of the venue, to waiting in line for hours to get a wristband, to anxiously awaiting to see if our friends were able to bullshit their way in (nice one porkchop!), to smoking a wonderful spliff in the front rows while being pumelled by "You Lie You Cheat" it was all so perfect. i guess i just don't wanna share that night.

me.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

supershonn wrote:
spzretent wrote:how amazing would a complete DVD of that show be in that quality. It was obviously professionally shot.

hmmm, this is one of those times that i really don't want anything from it released. i'll try to say this without coming off like an asshole. BUT! it was such a perfect night. everything from the intimacy of the venue, to waiting in line for hours to get a wristband, to anxiously awaiting to see if our friends were able to bullshit their way in (nice one porkchop!), to smoking a wonderful spliff in the front rows while being pumelled by "You Lie You Cheat" it was all so perfect. i guess i just don't wanna share that night.

me.
Practically speaking, the sound was so loud in there it would have oversaturated any kind of microphone.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

So, almost two years after we last discussed this -

Anyone have a recording of it?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Behold!!!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TD9G6DI4
WAV, ~1GB

After months of emailing back and forth with Kuniko and my sound nerd friend, we have a cleaned up recording of the legendary Echo show (hands down the greatest show I've seen). This currently does not include the encore, but that will probably be coming later.

Beware, though....this still sounds very rough. It was originally recorded on an iPhone by our very own Kuniko. This version still cuts in and out, but it is a vast improvement from the original file. Doesn't sound great, but I have Spz boots that sound worse.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Thanks for this Toomilk. Listening to it now and 'Take me to the Other Side' sounds so violent. Love it!!!
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Someone is selling 5 of the red Echo posters on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIRITUALIZED-R ... 500wt_1089