What time are they on?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

JesusBlood
Known user

What time are they on?

Post by JesusBlood »

(My tickets for this Sunday's show got lost in the post).
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Re: What time are they on?

Post by Guest »

JesusBlood wrote:(My tickets for this Sunday's show got lost in the post).
The show starts at 7.30 but obviously the support bands will be on before. Not being used to attending posh gigs I missed the beginning of Brian Wilson, not realising that the time on the ticket was the time he started. Doh!
jason_godman
Known user

Post by jason_godman »

oops, I came up as an anonymous guest type.
JesusBlood
Known user

Re: What time are they on?

Post by JesusBlood »

Anonymous wrote: The show starts at 7.30 but obviously the support bands will be on before. Not being used to attending posh gigs I missed the beginning of Brian Wilson, not realising that the time on the ticket was the time he started. Doh!
Thanks.
I was at BW too. Once again Smile was an astonishingly accomplished and moving thing, though I still don't think Good Vibrations belongs on it. It's just a shame he feels the need to kill the mood by following it with an encore of fluff like Barbara Ann. Not so much of a genius as an idiot savant perhaps. I'd go again, though and just hit the pub early.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

is that right -- spiritualized at 7.30? any clues what time doors is? all i know of pere ube is some sort of tenous dead boys association?

anyone? anyone? bueller?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

anorthernsoul wrote:all i know of pere ube is some sort of tenous dead boys association?
"shortest" Pere Ubu biography from allmusic website (doesn't make you feel easy, right?):

Pere Ubu emerged from the urban wastelands of mid-'70s Cleveland to impact the American underground for generations to follow; led by hulking frontman David Thomas, whose absurdist warble and rapturously demented lyrics remained the band's creative focus throughout their long, convoluted career, Ubu's protean art-punk sound harnassed self-destructing melodies, scattershot rhythms, and industrial-strength dissonance to capture the angst and chaos of their times with both apocalyptic fervor and surprising humanity.

sounds like hard listening for iron youth.
i'll watch them anyway......
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Pere Ubu emerged from the urban wastelands of mid-'70s Cleveland to impact the American underground for generations to follow; led by hulking frontman David Thomas, whose absurdist warble and rapturously demented lyrics remained the band's creative focus throughout their long, convoluted career, Ubu's protean art-punk sound harnassed self-destructing melodies, scattershot rhythms, and industrial-strength dissonance to capture the angst and chaos of their times with both apocalyptic fervor and surprising humanity.

Do they sound like Abba?
wry saxon

Post by wry saxon »

Hang on...do you mean that at 1930h BST, Jason Spaceman will commence his performance, and if you are late you have missed it? Or is that the time Mr David Viner pulls up his high stool (so to speak)? I feel quite hot, all of a sudden. As though I'll oversleep...and be driving round the South Bank in the nude looking for somewhere to park...and not find anywhere...and then realise that actually it's Saturday... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Well - I just phoned the (spectacularly unhelpful) box office.

Me: What does 7.30 on the tickets mean?

Him: That's what time the show starts "sir".

Me: aha! Spiritualized, or the support acts?

Him: Yes.

Me: yes what? Yes Spz, or yes D. Viner?

Him: There's support acts?

(he then flannels me by suggesting that doors might indeed open at 7.30, Viner and Ubu play a set each with a combined length of half an hour, followed after a brief interval at 8.00 by Spz. Honestly - what was the point of that?)
It's all happening!
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

My bet is that Jason and the boys will still be in Fishcoteque at 7.30.
If Thighpaulsandra has an extra pickled egg or gherkin then this may mean they come on later.
I would hazard a guess at 9.30 on stage depending on whether they stay for koftis and coffee.

Post by Guest »

i rung up yesterday and didn't get much further, but apparently the hall's only booked until half ten, and with it being a sunday gig i think we can probably assume it'll finish then.

so if they're on at half eight, maybe the second support will be on a little before half seven, and the first band when the doors open at half-six-ish. assuming that that's when they open ...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Fishcoteque

best chippy name ever
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I've been to the RFH loads of times, and they're strict on timings. The show start time of 7.30 will be precisely when David Viner steps up to the mike.

My guess is he'll do half an hour, then Pere Ubu will come on almost straight afterwards and play until 9pm. Spiritualized will be on at about 9.20, so if the curfew is correct they'll do a Glasto-style hour and ten minutes.

Knowing Jason it will probably be the exact Glasto set, although I won't mind as long as the version of Things'll Never be the Same is as mind-blowing!!!