Manchester Academy

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

burdman72
Known user

Manchester Academy

Post by burdman72 »

Felt like the early 90s all over again, the early gigs at the international, I nearly ran up at the end to ask for a setlist just like I used to do! (I used to have one from a gig in St Helens, at the Citadel, that had been modified somewhat by the roadie,Why Don't You Smile had been changed to Why Don't You Sell Me Your Guitar. don't know where it ended up!). It seems like Jason has returned to his roots, kept it simple but given the band free reign to express themselves. Havent seen spz this good in a looooong time. MIndblowing. And special mention has to go to the two guys at the front who spent the whole nite high fiving each other and anyone else who wanted to join in. You guys ruled, nearly as entertaining as the band. Thank you for wiping away the bad memories of the last time you played the Academy and turning me into a believer once again. Fantastic nite. am off to bed after a rainy journey back to stoke with the sweetest noise still ringing in my ears. Thanks again Mr Spaceman.
James T
Known user

Re: Manchester Academy

Post by James T »

I think I may of been one of the 2 guys having a great time at the front! I got a bit carried away maybe but I had a good night.

Strange thing this...
I watched the show, had an amazing time, got a setlist and drank some red stripe. Then, I speak to some woman and she asks if I wanna go up and see Jason. She goes and has a word with the guys then comes back and gets me.I had a great chat with Doggen about all sorts. Jason is a great man. They remembered me from the Rough Trade signing which was odd. Anyway, they gave me some beers and we talked and I was invited for a drink at Big Hands but I couldn't really stick around much longer so I left. Got a picture with Jason, Doggen told me to find them after the Roundhouse show.

Very odd but great night! I was really pissed after the show so I hope I wsn't acting like a tool, think I was on reasonable form until after I left the venue, I don't remember anything after that.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

I really enjoyed last night's gig too. The band played very well and Jason's voice sounded really strong too. It was well worth the 640 mile trip.
Hey Jayne
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

That is a long way for a gig! Once I went to Oslo and Paris to see Sigur Ros, and Paris once for Low too. Gig holidays are great fun.
Geoff
Known user

Post by Geoff »

Last night at Manchester was one of the most memorable and fantastic Spiritualized gigs I've ever witnessed. Not since the Brixton gig a few years ago when they blew Primal Scream and Nick Cave into oblivion have I been so spellbound and uplifted by their performance. The audience reaction grew more animated with each passing song and the recognition of the opening of I think I'm in love was akin to a goal being scored at Old Trafford. Good Dope/Good Fun was played with a joyous edge that made it almost disco! And as for Come Together, it felt like I had been blown back a hundred yards down the hall by the end of it.
On nights like these, and it was a truly inspiring night, there isn't a band anywhere on earth that can touch Spritualized. I thought the halcyon days had gone, they haven't, Spiritualized are alive and kicking... and kicking ass big style.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

2 return flights from Cornwall to Manchester 130 quid
2 nights at Gardens Hotel 112 quid
Food,beer,records and keeping the lady in shopping near 200 quid

An evening with Jason and co............PRICELESS

Last nights gig was truly amazing. This incarnation of the band seem to be getting better and better.
Saw them back in May which was great but what I witnessed last night was in a different league.
Great to hear lay back in the sun...my first time hearing it live!
Come together/take me to the other side had me jumping up and down like a crazy fool.
Spoilt slightly by a pair of unappreciative idiots continually talking in front but praise to the bloke who told them to shut the fuck up!!
Heres hoping that some more dates are announced in the south west soon.
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

ABSOLUTELY MIND BLOWING. Saw acousitc mainlines in Leicester but 1st time I;ve seen spiritualized since glasto 2004. Best i;ve ever seen them (i've seen them 5 times, inc their first tour? of 92 in derby) Saw the 1st half in the middle of the crow and the last half at the front near the hi five guys, great atmoshere, i actually dance not something you normally do at a spiritualized gig. I was the one in the green hoodie and spacemen 3 t shirt. Take me to the other side probably the finest moment I've ever had at a gig. Totally off it and that song just took me to another level, that was true hardcore. Great night, worth the trip from Derby. Great mix of songs from the mellow to the sublime to the rocking out tracks. Personal highlights apart from TMTTOS was Think i'm in love and sweet talk as thats my two year old daughter favourite song. When i saw her this morning she said "daddy did they play the angel song (as she calls it) , sweet talk indeed, thanks very much spiritualized. And it is Spiritualized again not just Jason, as a previosu post said the band was free to express themselves and they played together as a great band. A grat year for Spiritualized.
beenie
New user

Post by beenie »

Wot a gig! Saw them at glasto this year, and blown away, just as good this time. When come together came on with its disntinctive wall (and sight?) of sound, cant even begin to describe the EMOTION!.

Imagine the delight afterwards when going next door to the legendary big hands for a couple of post gig drinks, the big (space)man enters! Amazing!

Still not set in, such an accomodating guy, and happy to talk at length to a drunk fan, so refreshing compared to the general attitude and delusions of established frontmen.

Signed my ticket with a nice message, which was cool, but somehow lost it (altho turned out my mate swapped his ticket with mine), so went back and signed it again with additional comments - awesome!

Cant not mention the rest of the band, they were really cool guys as well.

Just cant believe I met one of my heroes, without any of the usual disappointment you expect .... Wot a man, wot a band, wot a gig!
burdman72
Known user

Post by burdman72 »

Hey The Shadow, I was stood next to you for some of the gig, I was goin to ask where you got the t-shirt from, I used to have the same one but wore it so much it died a death, been lookin for a repacement for years! You mention the gig in Derby, was that the one at the Dial? I was at Derby Uni at that point, I still have my ticket stub and a mate has the set-list, it was written on the back of a flyer for the Wherehouse! Happy Days!
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I travlelled over from Belfast for this show - and it was akin to a religious experience. Simply out of this world. Best I've seen Spiritualized and easily the best gig I've seen.

I met up with a Mancunian mate I hadn't seen in 2 years and had just one of those special days when everything seems perfect in the world. Spent all day in town having a great time.

Burdman, I reckon my mate and I were the two 'high-five guys'. Haha. We got right up the front and just had a blast, dancing around and smiling. I was the tall, skinny guy with short hair in a green hoody bouncing around. We were happily drunk and just having it - the atmosphere was perfect.

When I could stop dancing I took a few snaps. I'll stick them up sometime. I think there's one of my mate and me - Burdman you can confirm if we are the 'high-five guys' or not!

Big thumbs up to the people up the front - you know how to have a good time.

Spaceman seemed to be soaking the vibe up from the crowd and just kept on building a huge head of steam. TMTTOS was inspiring. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it again. Amazing night.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I reckon there were a lot of people having the time of their life up front.

Jason said he really enjoyed the show which was good, normally bands don't think much to Manchester audiences because they are normally pretty talkative and uninterested in what they have paid to see.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Hey Shadow and Burdman.Think I could also have been one of the hi-five party.Stood 2/3 rows back just in front of Jason.Couple guys started next to me and got a whole lotta people moving.Buy the time Come Together came on and the mindblowing TMTTOS I was jumping about like never before at a SPZ gig.Like a mild moshpit!!I get what your saying about the goosebumps Fuzzhead- still feeling it myself.Can,t wait to catch them again whenever that may be
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

Burdman, the tshirt was direct from Sonic Boom, he sold a few a while back,, the white one like mine and also a red footbal llike one with the number 3 at the back with the word fucked above it. if you email him he may have some more left, top quality tees. The gig in Derby was at the Warehouse not the Dial. The Dial was a reat place, the last decent place in derby it has never been replaced, They used to get great bands, along with the Warehouse and the bell back in the late eightes and early nighties. Now Derby gets no one, shame. Funny your name is burdman cause my real surname is Bird and sometimes I get called the Birdman - The Shadow has stepped out of the Shadows.
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

Hey Burdman been thinking about that gig in derby in 92 i think after racking my brains you are right and it was in the dial. I also have the flyer still which states Warehouse (which was on Friar gate) so maybe thats blagged my head over the years, grat gig though especially as i never got to see Spacemen 3
robinj
New user

Post by robinj »

Only my second show but what a fantastic gig. I would really like a copy of the setlist from Saturday night if someone could post one please ?

Ta :wink:
burdman72
Known user

Post by burdman72 »

Hey Shadow, if I remember they played both venues, the Dial being the first of the two, I think they later played the Wherehouse with Miranda Sex Garden. It's my mini claim to fame that the band I was in played both venues too. In fact one of the gigs we did was supporting Luna. Not surprisingly when I tell mot people that story they say "Who?". Saw some great gigs there also! Ta for the heads up on the t-shirt!
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

eelnekwah wrote:2 return flights from Cornwall to Manchester 130 quid
2 nights at Gardens Hotel 112 quid
Food,beer,records and keeping the lady in shopping near 200 quid

An evening with Jason and co............PRICELESS

Last nights gig was truly amazing. This incarnation of the band seem to be getting better and better.
Saw them back in May which was great but what I witnessed last night was in a different league.
Great to hear lay back in the sun...my first time hearing it live!
Come together/take me to the other side had me jumping up and down like a crazy fool.
Spoilt slightly by a pair of unappreciative idiots continually talking in front but praise to the bloke who told them to shut the fuck up!!
Heres hoping that some more dates are announced in the south west soon.
I would love to see Spz+ down south again, but i won't hold my breath. Did you see them when they played The Eden Project 5 or so years ago? Amazing!
Hey Jayne
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Amazing Grace/You lie You Cheat
Shine A Light
Cheapster
Soul On Fire
Sweet Talk
Sitting On Fire
Walkin With Jesus
Oh Baby
Rated X
Think I'm In Love
Lay Back In The Sun
Death Take Your Fiddle
Life Is A Problem
Ladies & Gents...
She Kissed Me
Come Together
Take Me To The Other Side
--------------------------
Lord Can You Hear Me?
harlequin
New user

Post by harlequin »

Simply amazing!i travelled up from Hampshire and went with a couple of Manc mates,a couple who had never seen the band before and have now been properly converted.i think that was my 6th gig but easily the best,was just stood there gaping for most of it then spent hours in Big Hands remembering it.happy days,bring on the Roundhouse!
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

[/quote]

I would love to see Spz+ down south again, but i won't hold my breath. Did you see them when they played The Eden Project 5 or so years ago? Amazing![/quote]

I was living in the bristol area back then.Wanted to make the trip down but ended seeing them at the Glasto warmup at Cardiff instead.Cracking night that was
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

Burdman, what band was you in, may have seen you around that period as went to alot of gigs between 89-92, I think it was the warehouse gig i went to then cause Miranda sex garden def supported.
burdman72
Known user

Post by burdman72 »

Was in a most underated band called Starstreamer. Can you guess where we got the name from? We also played the Flamingo and Firkin. What a great pub that was!! Did you see the God Machine at the wherehouse? that was awesome.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

My flatmate bought me tickets for my birthday, and we came down from Edinburgh for it - Spz were great in Glasgow 3 days earlier, but the whole atmosphere in Manchester elevated it to on a par with the Edinburgh Acoustic Mainlines show for best Spiritualized concert I've been to. So many sublime moments, but my personal favourite was the "Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" sample at the beginning of that song - my first Spiritualized concert was at the Academy back in my 6th form days in 1998, when they dimmed the lights and did the Electric Mainline drone for ages before someone came on and triggered that vocal sample to introduce the band. I don't think I heard that at Glasgow ABC, so that made Saturday's show all the more special for me.

Also, I loved the cheers at the end of every opening verse of I Think I'm In Love, I loved hollering "COME TOGETHER" with one of the high-fivers at the front, showing him my LAGWAFIS tattoo and hearing him say he planned on getting a Spacemen 3 one, I loved getting a great photo of Jason smiling while applauding the crowd, and of him raising his guitar in triumph... What wasn't to love? A wonderful, wonderful night.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Would love to see your LAG tattoo, could you post a pic?
I think I feel it coming on
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

Burdman, I know where you got the name from! but unfortunately cannot recall the band, looks like i didn;t have my ear as close to the ground as i thought i did. Missed god machine as well. Bands i can recall seeing in Derby around that time of 89-92 was at the Dial Sonic Boom, Revenge (Peter Hook of new orders band), Ride x2, Five Thirty, Lush, King of the slums, Bob, Primal Scream, heartthrobs at the warehouse one dove, spirtualized, Carter USM (unfortunatley), Sand kings at the Bell, Pale Saints, Levitation, Boo Radleys, Catherine Wheel, Bleach and assembly rooms House of Love, Ride and at the blue note Guy called Gerald plus loads more at these venues I cannot recall at the moment, nice trip down memory lane.
Bruce
New user

Post by Bruce »

I remember watching Spiritualized on the first tour in 92 and it blew me away, Saturday night in Manchester had just about the same energy but loads more records and all gleeming bright. I was amazed to find Jason and co in my local, Big Hands, after the gig and chatted for a while, very humane and humble, it really made my day!

After such an amazing gig it was surreal to meet my heroes and walking to the tour bus with Tom, keyboards, much less than sobre, wondering just how i'd got there and swapping phone numbers.

Only recovered from the whole thing now, one big electric shock, couldn't single out any one tune, loved the new stuff and was amazed at the spacemen 3 tracks. The light show was full on and the best thing i've ever heard at the academy!!!

so so happy.. bruce
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

I would love to see Spz+ down south again, but i won't hold my breath. Did you see them when they played The Eden Project 5 or so years ago? Amazing![/quote]

The Eden project was sooooooooo good! This tour was better though!

I remember a camera crew at Eden. Does anyone know what became of the footage?
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Let's see if this works. The print looks wonky because of the swelling (the photo was taken the day after it was done). I didn't realise until I'd taken it that there's a resemblance to the Amazing Grace cover - bonus!

I have the Screamadelica logo on my left wrist - both albums are worth keeping with me forever, without a doubt.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneasianun ... 105775061/

Here's my set of photos taken at the show.
burdman72
Known user

Post by burdman72 »

crackin set of photos there one asian! Brought the memories floodin back, thanks.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Wow, that's awesome letter work you've got there. Someone had great practice and took their time with that as letting is quite difficult to get right via tattooing. I've seen some terrible work, but that's very well done!
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

I've just remembered that on the night I saw a pair of microphones facing towards the crowd at either side of the stage.Not being sound techy or anything I was wondering what these could have been for???
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

On a related note earlier this year I got a medical style plus sign/cross on my upper right arm, which is a nod to, amongst other things, the new Spiritualized logo :P
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I wonder did anyone record this show?

I'd love to re-live it again.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Zenchan wrote:On a related note earlier this year I got a medical style plus sign/cross on my upper right arm, which is a nod to, amongst other things, the new Spiritualized logo :P
So who's going to start the Spz tattoo thread? This went around a while back and would love to see others' work :!:
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

triangle is black for copyright reasons...
any suggestions for the other arm?
Attachments
100_1791.jpg
100_1791.jpg (190.84 KiB) Viewed 5105 times
"Thank you"