Bham Academy 15/10

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Bham Academy 15/10

Post by angelsighs »

Slightly disappointed overall, frankly. Not the bands fault mostly though- Doggen was having gear problems for most of the set (they had to change his amp just before DTY Fiddle, Jason strummed around the intro for a bit then went into the song anyway!), you could hardly hear his guitar lines on WWJ (all you people who want to hear Jasons guitar more, you would have totally got your wish last night)

Amazing Grace as opener was brilliant (love that big fat fuzz), but from there it just wasn’t clicking for me for a while. The little suite of A&E songs near the beginning of the set, apart from the lift during Sweet Talk, seemed a bit of a lull (and its not cause I don’t love those tunes, I do! a lot!) Even Shine a Light didn’t hit the spot.

After about halfway through the set, though, they were in the zone.
I Think Im In Love was the best version I’ve EVER heard- I really felt like I was floating in space.
LBITS was ridiculously uplifting.
Rated X (one of my personal faves) was beautiful (and the intro sounds so different now- bit more angry, like a Spring Heel Jack tune or something).
Ladies and gents- you can't really go wrong with this song, its invincible. Seemed a bit weird, but nice, having the Kate sample at the beginning..

And obviously the final 3 songs or so are where they really crank it up- the drums on the intro for Come Together shook the whole room, and as for TMTTOS, I can only reiterate what others have been saying. It melted my brain.

The encore was Oh Happy Day, not Lord Can You Hear Me. bit of a anticlimax after the previous assualt for me.

not all gigs can be consistently transcendent I suppose.. I guess all you other guys got lucky!

PS The cad who kept shouting for Revolution, I saw J crack a smile at that!
estee
Known user

Re: Bham Academy 15/10

Post by estee »

I agree, I didn't think the sound was too good at the start of the gig but definitely picked up and got much better after the first few songs. Doggen was having a nightmare with his amp, I think he took out his frustrations on his guitar during come together/take me to the other side, f....amazing !!!
Lay back in the sun was absolutely amazing, the backing singers were fantastic, best live version I've heard of that song. And yes the Kate opening for Ladies & Gentlemen was a newbie on me but great all the same. After reading other posts about the freak out frenzy of Come together/Take me to the other side I was wasn't disappointed, it was a pure guitar/drum/strobe frenzy of which my ears and eyes were still remembering all the way home. Only 1 encore, Oh Happy day, I was hoping for Lord can you hear me too but I am greedy when it comes to Spiritualized.

Did anybody manage to record it ??

Set list from last night:

Amazing Grace
You Lie You Cheat
Shine A Light
Cheapster
Soul On Fire
Sweet Talk
Sitting On Fire
Walkin With Jesus
Oh Baby
Rated X
Think I'm In Love
Lay Back In The Sun
Death Take Your Fiddle
I have no idea about this song, ashamedly I've never heard it before
Ladies And Gentlemen....
She Kissed Me
Come Together
Take Me To The Other Side
Oh Happy Day
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah thinking about it i wish the sound could have been as loud for the first few songs as it was later on in the set, it really would have stepped it up a gear. But i guess you've gotta have the contrast so it really cranks up and hits you in the face.. Its just that the first half seemed just 'ok' rather than amazing.

The new song is called 'Life Is A Problem', a J original but prob heavily influenced by a trad. song of some sort.

Another thing i noticed was Kev mouthing a lot of the lyrics to the songs! Also what is that toy thing he was swinging around during DTYF to make the spooky noise- looks like they bought it off the market or something!!

Also props to Tom - the keyboards are taking a back seat during this tour overall, but I adored all the floaty noises during Think Im In Love, and he was also extracting some DIRTY keys sounds during the final freakout.
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

The backing singers great too last night, lay back in the sun was amazing. Doggen seemed to be having a great time on the guitar too, he was one step away from smahing it to pieces and setting it on fire !
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

angelsighs wrote:Slightly disappointed overall, frankly. Not the bands fault mostly though- Doggen was having gear problems for most of the set (they had to change his amp just before DTY Fiddle, Jason strummed around the intro for a bit then went into the song anyway!), you could hardly hear his guitar lines on WWJ (all you people who want to hear Jasons guitar more, you would have totally got your wish last night)
Life's a problem... :D
I sometimes think that Spz fans are the most unreasonable and demanding people ever. :D

An amp bit the dust, it happens, it's been a long tour. The fact that they could lift it even after Doggen's difficulties is pretty impressive. I thought the band played really well. It was a great gig overall and I for one was really blown away with 'Oh Happy Day'. You could really hear what the girls were capable of. In fact, the BV's last night were extremely rising. Amazing stuff.

Several reviews this week have mentioned a lull for the A&E songs. The tempo slows down and there are no crescendoes like in the older songs. Maybe they need re-arranging for the live gigs to sit with the rest of the set?! Dunno.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

fact that they could lift it even after Doggen's difficulties is pretty impressive
Very very true !!! And as for the backing singers they really made lay back in the sun come alive for me. I didn't think the A&E songs were a lull for me, quite the opposite. I'm not too keen on the album track death take your fiddle, mainly because it makes me think of spaceman's illness, I find the breathing sound too eerie. But the eerie breathing sound for death take your fiddle and kate's "Ladies and gentlemen...." intro for Ladies & Gentlemen was brilliant.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

'Lay Back In the Sun' was blistering last night!!! I'm a soft touch for that song anyway since it's been a personal anthem for me for such a long time, but yeah, last night it was extreme.
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

did anybody manage to record the gig last night ???
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunny wrote:Life's a problem... :D
I sometimes think that Spz fans are the most unreasonable and demanding people ever. :D
haha! dont get me wrong sunny still loved the gig its just for the first half the x factor wasn't there which lifts a gig into greatness. i guess i should be suprised doggens amp hasnt died before considering the sorts of sounds he blasts through it!! :D

how many spz shows have you seen this year- must be some sort of record!!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I was just kiddin' of course! :lol:

Hmm, I haven't counted but I've ended up seeing quite a few. I went to most of the U.K ones in the spring (no festivals) and I saw 3 in Texas. I missed the first two on this leg of the U.K tour but have seen the rest. I'm going to Ireland and to Gothenburg (in Sweden).
My parents live in Gothenburg. They are very happy Spz are playing there! I'm usually too reluctant to go for a visit... This year I would have made the journey either way. My dad just retired and has fallen into a depression because of it. He's not the type to get depressed so I'm very worried. He even offered to come here to solder audio cables for my home studio- that means he must be bored out of his mind! I have no idea how to help being so far away. I guess he can move to London and be my tape-op. :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Sorry to hear about your Dad sunny. Im sure he will perk up after a bit when he adapts.

Thats a pretty impressive tally for this tour!
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Yep, there were tech problems for Doggen, which was a pain, but you know what, it didn't ruin the gig for me at all. The band were on top form and seemed to be putting their all into the gig, despite the problems. I was grinning like a loon for most of the gig, especially Amazing Grace, Think I'm In Love, LAGWAFIS, Come Together and TMTTOS. The only song which didn't really do it for me I guess was Death Take Yor Fiddle.
Yep, for me a brilliant show. It was worth the drive up from Cardiff. Just hope I get to see the Spz again soon.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

PS Does anyone know where can I get hold of the the track 'Amazing Grace'? I've got the instrumental version on the Complete Works, but not the vocal version that they've been doing on this tour.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

ollie, the current tour boots floating around here are the only place I know of as there's no known studio version. It was brilliant and the perfect show opener, made all of my hair stand on end. ain't no better drug than that 8)
I think I feel it coming on
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

purespace wrote:ollie, the current tour boots floating around here are the only place I know of as there's no known studio version. It was brilliant and the perfect show opener, made all of my hair stand on end. ain't no better drug than that 8)
Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if it had been released as a b-side or something. I shall download some of the boots then! :)

Yup, totally agreed. THE perfect opener. Goosebumps...hairs on end...crazy grin...the works. That was me. haha. And I was completely sober!