The Countdown begins

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Hedspace
Known user

The Countdown begins

Post by Hedspace »

DUBLIN VICAR ST

Sunday

t-minus too many minutes and counting.
Attachments
r.jpg
r.jpg (62.54 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
sunray
Known user

Re: The Countdown begins

Post by sunray »

Don't think i'm really gonna enjoy this gig now as the next day i have to make a 2hour drive (illegally, only been driving a few months) to start a full time course in a town that i don't know and, as yet, still have no accommodation in! Plus i now miss my girlfriends birthday on the Monday & the Holy Fuck gig that night. Hopefully the gigs are as good as everyone says they are and i'll forget my worries & ease my nerves for a couple of hours at least. *please make it be true, please make it be true...*

Sorry for the venting, just full of nerves at the mo. Carry on.... :arrow:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Not much in the way of reassurance but if its any consolation atall Sunray, its the end of their October leg so we might be in for a treat

As far as touring goes Mr Pierce should have that so called Friday feeling and hopefully tear the place up on Sunday
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

sunray wrote:Don't think i'm really gonna enjoy this gig now as the next day i have to make a 2hour drive (illegally, only been driving a few months) to start a full time course in a town that i don't know and, as yet, still have no accommodation in! Plus i now miss my girlfriends birthday on the Monday & the Holy Fuck gig that night. Hopefully the gigs are as good as everyone says they are and i'll forget my worries & ease my nerves for a couple of hours at least. *please make it be true, please make it be true...*

Sorry for the venting, just full of nerves at the mo. Carry on.... :arrow:
Ah, you're setting yourself up by over-thinking it! Have a drink with me at the gig... I'll be down the front. Was it last Nov I saw you?
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Hedspace, hopefully you're right. :D

Sunny, you are right i am overthinking it! If i see you i shall join you for a beverage (non-alchoholic for me unfortunately). November? I don't think so as we were watching Spiritualized on Jools Holland, so must've been April/May! :lol:
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

sunray wrote:Hedspace, hopefully you're right. :D

Sunny, you are right i am overthinking it! If i see you i shall join you for a beverage (non-alchoholic for me unfortunately). November? I don't think so as we were watching Spiritualized on Jools Holland, so must've been April/May! :lol:
April?! Oh dear... how confused I am by all things time related! Non-alcoholic is fine by me, I need to go that way myself! :D
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I'll be there too, and also in Cork. Looking forward to both. :D
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

really looking forward to this.

anyone know what the sounds like there these days.
The Other Jason
Known user

Post by The Other Jason »

You will be blown away if Glasgow is anything to go by!

Hmm...how much money and effort would it take to get to Cork....

Enjoy...

Jason
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Well that was quite an improvement on last night! :D Impressive show, ears still ringing.

Amazing Grace
You Lie
Shine A Light
Cheapster
I Think I'm In Love
Sweet Talk
Sitting On Fire
Walking With Jesus
Oh Baby
Rated X
Soul On Fire
Lay Back In The Sun
Death Take Your Fiddle
Life Is A Problem
Ladies & Germs
She Kissed Me
Come Together
Take Me To The Other Side
-------------------
Oh Happy Day

Yes, Soul On Fire and I Think I'm In Love swapped places.
purpleorla
Known user

Post by purpleorla »

That was pretty feckin good alright, way better than the Tripod gig I reckon, and ladies & gentlemen was a pleasant surprise :D
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Outstanding :D
Attachments
d.jpg
d.jpg (15.88 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Beginning and end were good but once again, with the exception of Lay Back.., a serious drag in the middle. Nice to have a bit of a lightshow back as well, would've been even nicer to have it for more than the last 10-15 minutes! Personally i would end with Lay Back In The Sun with the lights and everything. I don't like the encores of Oh Happy Day or Lord Can You Hear Me? etc.. I'd much rather leave with the noise and lights running round my brain. Better than Tripod no doubt and i couldn't really say if it was better or worse than Kilkenny either.
Oh, and it was nice to see you again Sunny, some scary driving moments over the past seven days but the course and all that is going fine. :D
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

sunray wrote:Beginning and end were good but once again, with the exception of Lay Back.., a serious drag in the middle. Nice to have a bit of a lightshow back as well, would've been even nicer to have it for more than the last 10-15 minutes! Personally i would end with Lay Back In The Sun with the lights and everything. I don't like the encores of Oh Happy Day or Lord Can You Hear Me? etc.. I'd much rather leave with the noise and lights running round my brain. Better than Tripod no doubt and i couldn't really say if it was better or worse than Kilkenny either.
Oh, and it was nice to see you again Sunny, some scary driving moments over the past seven days but the course and all that is going fine. :D
:D Great to see you again. I was wondering how the course and everything was turning out.
You like the full on gig bits basicallly... nothing wrong with that! Maybe I should make you a white noise edit. All the crazy bits stuck together into a super gig, haha. For Sunray only! :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

sunny wrote:
sunray wrote:Beginning and end were good but once again, with the exception of Lay Back.., a serious drag in the middle. Nice to have a bit of a lightshow back as well, would've been even nicer to have it for more than the last 10-15 minutes! Personally i would end with Lay Back In The Sun with the lights and everything. I don't like the encores of Oh Happy Day or Lord Can You Hear Me? etc.. I'd much rather leave with the noise and lights running round my brain. Better than Tripod no doubt and i couldn't really say if it was better or worse than Kilkenny either.
:D Great to see you again. I was wondering how the course and everything was turning out.
You like the full on gig bits basicallly... nothing wrong with that! Maybe I should make you a white noise edit. All the crazy bits stuck together into a super gig, haha. For Sunray only! :D
:lol: Ooh yes please! Or i could just listen to the boots from 91-93. :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I prefer the heavy and noisier stuff too. A few years ago I saw them play nearly 3 hours of mostly noise in York. I see why people like the laid back lulls but I get far less satisfaction from those. Having said that Walkin' With Jesus was magical on this tour and that was far more laid back than previous versions - but then it's probably my all time favourite song so it's good to hear it anyway.

Spacemen 3 gigs used to be pretty much guitar noise the whole way through. Even when they'd released quieter material they played little of it live. Personally I find myself constantly looking for a band who can get *that* degree of power and sonic destruction and still stay focused as the Spacemen did with apparently little effort. Fortunately there are a few bands around at the moment who veer into that area - Bardo Pond, White Hills, The Heads, Magic Lantern (who I haven't seen live). So I'm finding the music scene surprisingly healthy at the moment.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I was at that York gig too (both sets). :D

I think the live experience of full on 'heavy and noisy' stuff is addictive. Like a rush... and once you've had it, you want to keep having it. But I think the songs from the records are so beautiful and well written, they need to be heard too. So personally, I'm happy with getting both. But yeah I can see how a full on set through and through would be very appealing.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunny wrote:I was at that York gig too (both sets). :D
BOTH sets? It felt like 2 as it was so long but I only remember 1!

Around the same time I saw The Strokes in Leeds - they played for 40 minutes and may as well have just stuck their CD through the PA and mimed along such was the lack of inspiration.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

runcible wrote:
sunny wrote:I was at that York gig too (both sets). :D
BOTH sets? It felt like 2 as it was so long but I only remember 1!

Around the same time I saw The Strokes in Leeds - they played for 40 minutes and may as well have just stuck their CD through the PA and mimed along such was the lack of inspiration.
Maybe you're talking about another gig then? I definitively saw 2 sets (both long). One was daytime for competition winners (I had won tickets) and one set in the evening for purchased tickets (which I'd bought). So it was a Spz day out... haha.
I think Coxon had white shoes on... does that help jog your memory (probably not)? Jason stood up for the gig. He twirled the pick between every chord strum. I was transfixed by that.
My jeep broke down on the motorway back to London that night. Annika (my flat mate) had to take a bat and hit the carburettor to make it start (we don't know why this method worked, but it always did). Luckily there was no traffic at 2 am.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

I hope the bat's sensitive radar mechanism wasn't damaged as a result of this.

There were definitely two York shows on the same day. I'm surprised anyone could forget as the news that the matinee show had been arranged was the only official news on this website for some time and still showing about six months after the event.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

ABOCA wrote:

There were definitely two York shows on the same day. I'm surprised anyone could forget as the news that the matinee show had been arranged was the only official news on this website for some time and still showing about six months after the event.
Not at the gig I was at although I vaguely recall the double set thing happening when I was away. The one I was talking about was at York Barbican in March 2002.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

I believe the double gigs were at a venue called The Fibbers.Were they both not for competition winners?I used to have a boot of the early (matinee) show ...gone walkabout.Dont think i've ever come across a boot of the evening show
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

runcible wrote:
ABOCA wrote:
I hope the bat's sensitive radar mechanism wasn't damaged as a result of this.

Not at the gig I was at although I vaguely recall the double set thing happening when I was away. The one I was talking about was at York Barbican in March 2002.
The bat was fine. :D Shouldn't that be sonar anyway (or is it radar)?
Mystery solved! We are talking about different gigs...