RFH Gig

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Juzba
Known user

RFH Gig

Post by Juzba »

How was it?

I'm so fucking depressed in missing it... I just couldn't get the cash sorted, but I'll be fucked if I miss the next one...

Might have to rob someone, if THAT one doesn't sort out
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

quality, Properley messed up at the end with a nice wall of noise and retina buring strobes.

Slightly irritated by an idiot trying to grab jasons foot? he was stood at the front pretending he was liam gallagher with his shirt off....
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

What was that guy on, he looked like an extra from a Right Said Fred video.
addick

Post by addick »

It was fantastic - my eyes are still sore this morning!!

I noticed lots of people taking pictures - would love to see some if anybody is going to post them on the web.

agree about the guy with his shirt off - he's the reason words like 'Twat' were invented
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

they were on fine form! I loved the meltdown bits at the end of Electricity and things will never be the same again. pulsing lights and white noise. I have a feeling the next album is going to be very dirt indeed. highlight was 'let it flow' the bit where the hold the note for ages then it drops back in was amazing..
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

simonkeeping wrote:
Slightly irritated by an idiot trying to grab jasons foot? he was stood at the front pretending he was liam gallagher with his shirt off....
estee wrote:What was that guy on, he looked like an extra from a Right Said Fred video.
That damn Ian Goodchild again...

:oops:

Or was it you Veiko....? :wink:
The Panzer Attacker

Post by The Panzer Attacker »

must say yes that guy was a complete and utter twat. He was annoying everyone in the front rows! Was amazing, loved the 15 minute ending of Smiles...
Heres the setlist as got one

Electricity
Shine A Light
Walking With Jesus
All Of My Tears
Hold On
Lord Let It Rain On Me
Oh Baby
Anything More
Cheapster
This Little Life
Let It Flow
Richie Lee
Never Going Back
Come Together
Broken Heart
Think I'm In Love
Run
Take Your Time
Smiles
Ian

Post by Ian »

As that setlist illustrates, there were no great surprises, although having only seen them recently on the first Amazing Grace tour, it was nice to hear Let It Flow. It's a shame that they can't reproduce the near silence with electrical interference before dropping everything back in near the end - that's my favourite bit of the album version. But still a highlight.

The dancers were a major irritant from where I was (quite near the front). If it were the sort of occasion that would bring the hall to its feet and energise huge crowds to rush forward, fine. But a handful of beered-up drunkards who COULD NOT DANCE (three women on the left excepted) only went to illustrate why they should have allowed smoking and banned drinks from the venue.

I think of myself as one of Amazing Grace’s supporters, certainly compared to some on this board, but even I got a little bored towards the end of Oh Baby, and found myself waiting for something older. Or newer – there were three occasions where I though we were getting a new song, only to discover it was an extended re-worked intro to an older song. Still, a good show. Lovely lights, especially the twinkly starfield.

The sounds was very good, and I think Jason's voice is on the way back too. The five minute tune-up before Walkin' With Jesus almost made it feel like a Spacemen 3 gig!

Love,

Ian
jason_godman
Known user

Post by jason_godman »

I spoke to said idiot at the end and it turned out he'd done a load of mushrooms (he gave me one too which was nice). He was completely twatted and speaking to him slightly defused my hatred towards him. The majority of the people at the front were akin to your embarresing uncle dancing at a wedding.

Fucking amazing show by the way. Now I'm off to benicassim for a bit more. 8)
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Great gig I thought. Let it flow really stood out for me and the ending from Take your Time onwards. Someone mentioned the starry lights- they were lovely!

I'm in agreement with everyone about the twat down the front. I was in the front row and he kept pestering my friend. Really, really irritating.

Sunny
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Mushrooms on a Sunday night...ouch!

Mind you we were all pretty fucked in our box, and only one person was clever enough to book the day off today....
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

So who was the geezer with the Ginger hair and green t-shirt that was taking pictures of his bald mate in front of J? Seen him at a Spectrum gig too.

J's voice sounded great.
Looking forward to some new stuff now.
spliffboy
Known user

Post by spliffboy »

The Breeze wrote:So who was the geezer with the Ginger hair and green t-shirt that was taking pictures of his bald mate in front of J? Seen him at a Spectrum gig too.

J's voice sounded great.
Looking forward to some new stuff now.
what's the news on the new stuff......I've been away.............has anything progressed?
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Thought it was a good show without being great if that makes sense. It definately got better and better as it went on. Just one new song or a surprise from the past would have made the night though. Personally I think they need to bring Medication back. The five minute tune up that Ian mentioned was nothing - when the Spacemen started they only used to bring one guitar tuner between the pair of them and you got more gaps than songs!

Sit down shows are usually great as for some reason it cuts out the irritating background chatter. The show they did at the Commonwealth Institute in Kensington way back when, was something I remember as being very special.

One thing I noticed last night was that they had a microphone placed next to Jasons stamping left foot, perhaps for extra percussion? Also he does do some very dainty cross legged pedal switching these days!

The indie disco down the front was just so painful to watch, just like seeing your dad strut his stuff at a wedding reception after too many light ales.
>>>
New user

Post by >>> »

There certainly was some freaky dancin' going on. You can't really blame those brothers and sisters who were clearly missing in action :shock: .

It should have been down to the stewards to move those people on, they were really the ones at fault for not doing so.

It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the show. I was more annoyed at people talking during the shows last year, i think thats a far worse crime.
copius-freakus2
New user

Post by copius-freakus2 »

A great night I really enjoyed myself, agian I am in agreement with others, let it flow was a highlight for me, as was the late afternoon spent sat drinking outside along the South Bank, in front of the National Theatre bar. with Jason Pearce and the rest of the band. I even got Jason to sign my ticket, and I asked him about future plans. Which Jason says will involve the band starting work on the next Spiritualized album in the Autumn.

I don't know what other people on here think? but a friend of mine put it to me that perhaps some songs would have worked better with less Keyboards, and that some of the reworkings of old songs didn't quite work. He mentioned the Spacemen 3 track Take your time. The orginal never had keyboards, and the new version with keyboards didn't do it for him.

Richard

Salisbury
Ian

Post by Ian »

Your friend is obviously a little confused, as Take Your Time isn't a Spacemen 3 song.

After the horror stories people were telling after the Scotland gig the other week, I was very plesantly surprised that the keyboards were not obtrusive at all.

It's a tricky one with old songs. It does make it more interesting if they get the occasional reinvention, to give us something new to enjoy. And I do like the current reading of Things'll Never Be The Same (although it wouldn't hurt to finish it!), and the mellow So Hot is cool too. But I just can't cope with the slow-fast, quiet-rock out Walkin' With Jesus. Spacemen 3 songs are supposed to generate a certain mood, and a lot of that depends on them not fluctuation too much - you get the mood within the first 20 seconds or so, and that's how it stays. Spritualized don't do this too often, and that's no bad thing on it's own (although I only realised yesterday that some of my favourite Spz songs *do* do this, like I Think I'm In Love, if you treat the two sections as different pieces), and obviously as Jason wrote 95% of Walkin' With Jesus he can do what the hell he likes with it, but... it's not hypnotic enough like this.

And that bass player *really* needs reminding how the bassline goes! I'm all for reinterpretation, but that's just... wrong!

Love,

Ian
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

The feaky dancer in the red shirt with glasses and his mate deserve extra opprobrium for for going out twice for beer during the spz set, making us having to let them by 4 (count them, 4!) times. When on the second occasion I suggested that he might like to stay in the bar, he became quite offensive. Get high on the music man! I feel sorry for the young lady he was with, who was recording the set list and obviously much more into the music than any of her three male companions, the third of whom I had to ask to be quiet while his mates were on the beer run...
Leggy Mountbatten
Known user

Post by Leggy Mountbatten »

In Row E we weren't unduly bothered by the dancers... fantastic trip, although I'd not seen them since about 1992 (Junction, Cambridge), when I was quite ill afterwards (pissed up on booze, only had salad for me tea...'special cigarette' and whoops apocalypse). I drove home to darkest Kent after this one, and had SLIGHT difficulty with traffic lights (colours - NOT flashing on and off etc) on the South Circular and beyond.

One woman as she left was berating the world in general for not being as animated as she wanted: "it's not the fucking cinema, it's a gig" etc etc... but I approve of the sitting down, not coughing during the quiet bits thing myself. It wasn't a gig in fact, it was a concert. Jason (and the drummer if it comes to that) managed to remain seated throughout, after all.

I thought one of the songs was gonna be 'Call the Dr', but it turned into something else.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Fantastic. The switch between the first 2 songs was knockout (I am guessing this is a trademark) - pressure drop!

2 minute tune ups: The spacemen used to be tuning up their pedals for that long - sounded awesome. Tuning up an E string...then down again... -not so awsome. Why did he have all those guitars anyway? Was he breaking strings EVERY song? The guy on the Jag only had to swap once (and once again), and the reverse T Bird remained in situ throughout.

Who was playing the Gospel Choir (or was the Bass Player the best backing vocalist in the fucking world?).

Who was the girl in the glittery skirt? You confused me.
copiusfreakus2

Post by copiusfreakus2 »

Appologies for the earlier mikste I ment to write Things'll never be the same and not Take my time as as Spacemen 3 track he didn't like the interpretation of.

Jig re your pen I didn't take it perhaps Jason walked off with it after he signed my ticket!! I hope you had a good time backstage afterwards, If I hadn't had to get the last train back to Salisbury then I would of joined you

Richard
Heady
Known user

Post by Heady »

I'm sorry to be the only naysayer here, but both myself and those I went with were really disappointed with the show.

We were sat in one of the boxes to the left of the stage, decent height, and were all considerably underwhelmed. Three of us have seen two or three shows on this tour, and plenty before, while my other friend was seeing Spiritualized for the first time since the Pure Phase tour. I've been feeling low after all the shows I've seen recently, the intensity and total mind-blowing nature of old is just not there any more, I find myself each time feeling that the majority of the set is mid-tempo plodding. Even at the last show I saw (Forum earlier this year) there were points where it exploded, but I only really felt that at the very start of Electricity (and the change --> Shine A Light) and at the end, and even that ending was less purposeful than has been earlier on this tour.

My friend who hadn't seen a Spz gig for 8 years or whatever was fairly gutted, kept saying "they're about 75% of the way there, come on...!" and it has to be said I agreed. Also it was dead quiet (again), but I guess that could be down to the venue, and at least there was no talking to enjoy too.

Also, the whole thing had a little element of farce for me, I mean, you can't choose your audience (which our group and I'm sure all other musicians here have got bitter experience of...), but I've never associated going to a Spiritualized show with a half-full auditorium (esp. in such a potentially ideal venue) and semi-naked wankers trying to grab shoes and punching fists in the air...hmm.

Having said all that, the old adage of "it's better than most other gigs I've seen likely" is still true. Just not what we'd come to expect, personally, and thus very disappointing. It all just seems a bit flat nowerdays, and I know all the others I was with agreed.
Chuck Bugle

Post by Chuck Bugle »

I think that maybe a lot of the normal Spiritualized crowd might have been put off the RFH venue as you can't smoke there and it's a sit-down venue, so slightly less intense. There were tickets available to be won on local radio so this might explain the high a*sehole count there.

I was at Glastonbury and saw Spz this year and although it was the first time I ever saw them, it was probably the most intense musical experience I had ever had.... brilliant. I had no idea what was going on afterwards.

I was close to trying to get tickets for the RFH, but I'll be waiting until perhaps an appearance at a dirtier venue.... for dirtier people like myself. :D
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Tuning up an E string...then down again... -not so awsome. Why did he have all those guitars anyway? Was he breaking strings EVERY song? The guy on the Jag only had to swap once (and once again), and the reverse T Bird remained in situ throughout.

Who was playing the Gospel Choir (or was the Bass Player the best backing vocalist in the fucking world?).

Who was the girl in the glittery skirt? You confused me.[/quote]

the tuning thing? What was the roady doing? thats what they are payed for surely? To be fair doing all that white noise stuff with the slide Jason does would mess up youre tuning a fair bit. I did like the way the roady handed him his guitar when he walked on. Looked very cool.

The Percussionist was triggering the gospel singers on a drum pad thing.

The girl in the glittery skirt. I sadly cant help you with my friend....
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

I thought it was a great show, loved the band, loved the venue, loved the twinkly stars. Highlight for me was the more simplistic version of Anything More, and when he dropped the line from 'Ladies & Gentleman....' in at the end, ah.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

My favourite bit was when after what seemed like 30 minutes, they came on to encore with a blinding version of 'Angels' by Robbie Williams.
Top stuff!!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Yes, it was a fantastic show.

The Jig and me were in the row E. very good seats indeed, Jig.

someone did puked in the first row.... during the stroboscopic onslaught of the last minutes.

Let It Flow was maybe the best song and thats all because Jason really meant it by singing "all i wanted was a taste, just enough to waste the day." sung it roughly and "from heart", you know, something that he wanted everybody to get clearly.

Jig, Shaun, you have a better hand on english, so please take out all the facts what happened with us during that sunny sunday!

The Thames -
talking and singing -
the show -
THE afterparty-

i'm still shaking when i think about what everything happened.

Recording?
mmm i wonder what kind of a fucking rush i will get if i sayed yes now....

who was the lady watching the show from right (was it third or fourth row?), blue Spiritualized t-shirt with white logo and some vinyls in bag. looked like in love with J. :wink:
would like to fall into her hands.

i'll be damned, but some pal did really scream "I fucking love you Jason".
cheers!

did anyone spot a Spacemen 3 t-shirt?

and all you good good people - Ian Goodchild did not make it.
Ian, i hope that a trade is coming up!

Bza, you fucking missed a amazing show.
Juzba, same goes to you too.
never ever miss a show that's in place "made of velvet", thats just how to describe Royal Festival Hall, sound was sehr gut.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

veiko wrote:
The Jig and me were in the row E. very good seats indeed, Jig.

did anyone spot a Spacemen 3 t-shirt?

I was in Row E...plenty close. We were on the 'red side' the middle edge of the block on the left (if you faced the stage), me & Mrs This Do.

I did see one Spacemen 3 tee shirt - a piss yellow one. I wished I'd worn my old '89 Playing w/fire logo, with "...fucked up children..." on the back, but didn't.

Should we all have worn hats with our log in names on?

:)
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

will this do? wrote: Should we all have worn hats with our log in names on?
:lol:

dwarf hats would have been really smart.

facing the stage we were in the middle section, on right, Jig was the first from the stairs and i was second, fifth row. E.

did anyone spot a white Spacemen 3 t-shirt? fucked-upper.
Last edited by veiko on Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dollyrocker

i liked it.

Post by dollyrocker »

it was far from a perfect show, come together could have sounded REALLY good if they had a bit more energy in it, but it was a lovely show.

i know this sounds a bit sad, but i was holding back tears during 'shine a light', it was THAT good.

great lights too.

take care everyone!

x
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

I'm proper happy with my crisp new Royal Festival Hall t-shirt
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

on monday i saw one lad walking on the Berwick street with that RFH concert t-shirt.

on sunday for the show The Jig had the "Step 8 - fuck being straight" shirt and someone even asked him where he got it. (..US was the answer..)

:roll: jeeeeeez, what a smashing concert it was.

when i entered the backroom i clearly heard the bassplayer repeating to someone: "It was my best concert ever, best ever, ever."

he and the rest of the lads can't be wrong.
yeah, i suppose that many of us agree that the setlist wasn't unusual, but the whole cradle turned out bloody well.
...i think i'm in love - probably just hungry.
Last edited by veiko on Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

also let me grab from the chance and thank Sister Ray records, who kindly sold to me Spiritualized "Feel So Sad/I Want You" 7" (Single given away during an early tour) for £15 !!

"Sister ray, you can do it!"

and one hint - on monday as i was walking the streets of London (after a smoke of you-know-what) i scanned with my walkman local radiostations and found a truly fantastic show.
main subject was Experimental Seafood Records.

http://www.experimentalseafood.com/

all you who like drift away and explore soundscapes, then surely check them out!

that same show also broadcasted one bloody freaky version of Slayer' "Angel of Death". acappella - everything was done with vocals. some sort of mad fucked-up version in a Flying Pickets way.

if someone knows what i'm talking about then please tell me who is the artist behind such a crazy shit!
bmmello
New user

Post by bmmello »

I found the Run/I want you 12" in Sister Ray too, only days before the concert.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

ok, it's only about sharing, nothing personal, but visiting Rough Trade shop i noticed a new band called My Electric Love Affair.
MELA sound like a mixed bag of Loop, MBV, JAMC, BJM.....

http://www.myelectricloveaffair.com/

cuts from live reviews:

...this five-piece have been heading down the space rock highway with Spacemen 3 strapped to the roof rack for some years now.

Undeniably , there is some element of Spiritualized singer Jason Pierce's breathy tones in the way My Electric Love Affair's lead singer garbles every droning syllable.

but if posting messages about new bands is getting ugly then someone just has to say stop and i will leave it. thanks.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

NO WAY Veiko... the only thing I want to see is MORE reccomendations...

Did you like MELA? Did you get record?

and the the accapella sounds mental... i'm gonna track it down...>>>
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Cheers, Bza!

Barry, yeeaah, sometimes i get like sort of wasted telling people about new and new and new stuff..... atleast thats the shit i get on my straws from time to time - bugging people about new sounds and visions. thats randomly, but quickly turns the stomach downside up.

My Electric Love Affair has a strong wall of sound. as tight as Loop and MBV and of course as Spacemen 3 (as "Things will never be the same").
very, very, very much A trance-rock.

*** i am really not into promosing a holy land, but =
it's not a blasting shit, it's a good crossover of Loop and The Telescopes, and for fuck sake - all you Brian Jonestown Massacre fans, you should check it out too.
give it a short try.

damn it, e n o u g h of advertising. :evil:

Post by Guest »

Hi Veiko,
was nice meeting before the show,and a really crazy way you and shawn entered the aftershowparty...
;)
Yesterday we thought about the party,my wife told me shawn has told her 3 different stories how you get in there...i think he was fascinated by the free beers...me too.
will let you know about the pictures...
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Anonymous wrote: Yesterday we thought about the party,my wife told me shawn has told her 3 different stories how you get in there...
it doesn't matter, "we" made it eventually.

Shaun, The Jig, is fine - a musiclover with passion.

must learn some more tricks to surprise him too.
Jig ordered for me "Record Collector" back issue with Spiritualized and told me he didn't get it, made me pretty sad.
and after we check-in in the hostel he took it out from the bag - fucking master of faking! that was fun.
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

Oh fuck

really have missed stuff by the shitloads... :cry:

well next time then

Veiko: please PM me or somehow alert me if you fin out there's a gig in sweden/estonia/finland...
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

and same with Finland - they just have not been asked to play there.
with spacemans own words "they would play everywhere, just ask (and arrenge the bloody thing)!"
yeah, would have been fantastic to see them under the aurora borealis in north-norway.

Turkey should be very exotic experience for the space-crew.
San Francisco for europeans... and thats not only a one-night-show in a club, it's a festival in Turkey. that must be very wild! a sauna in the bong with tits and undies. blue undies with yellow donald ducks.

Juzba, where are you located?
maybe we could meet during the Rakkautta&Anarkiaa fest??
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

dream setlist for the northern lights show would be:

Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
Spread Your Wings
Angel Sigh
Cool Waves
Take Good Care Of It
Anything More
Home Of The Brave
Feel Like Goin' Home

Post by Guest »

I thought the gig was not upto the high standard of Spz gigs. The last three years have gone downhill The albert hall is the ultimate which is why it is on CD. I think since then Jason has lost something maybe the change in personnel maybe just the enthusiasm.

I have been following Jason/spaceman since 1988 and that was the first time I have come out of the gig and not been blown away.

Jason please bring back those performances of old like the ones at brentford watermans arts centre, the commonwealth institue and of course the Albert Hall pinnacle.

Not advertising but I have many many pictures of Spz and
SP3 from over the years just need to see how to put them on the web.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Anonymous wrote:Not advertising but I have many many pictures of Spz and
SP3 from over the years just need to see how to put them on the web.
If you want me to put the Spacemen ones on my site, I'd be more than keen!

Love,

Ian
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Anonymous wrote:I thought the gig was not upto the high standard of Spz gigs. The last three years have gone downhill ...I have been following Jason/spaceman since 1988 and that was the first time I have come out of the gig and not been blown away.

Not saying you are, or anything, but - do you think you are a bit jaded?

I saw Spacemen 3 in '89, Spz in about '93, and the RFH show. I don't see that many gigs these days.

I thought that the show was ok, pretty good, in fact. I remained sober, as we were driving home afterwards, etc etc. Anyway, I was not blown away.

However, I don't expect to be 'blown away' any more by entertainment. I expect to be entertained. It isn't a brown bread world I live in, either.

All the old 'you should have seen them last year mate' rhetoric doesn't wash with me either (not that I think that that's what you're doing).

At the risk of sounding like the worst kind of 'he totally walks on water' Spaceman apologist (which I hate), I'd rather see a slightly-less-than-totally-apocalyptic performance by that band than...whatever.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

[quote="will this do
However, I don't expect to be 'blown away' any more by entertainment. I expect to be entertained. [/quote]

Sonic Boom playing 'Hey Man' at the ICA. Actually had to regain my balance a couple of times!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

veiko wrote:that same show also broadcasted one bloody freaky version of Slayer' "Angel of Death". acappella - everything was done with vocals. some sort of mad fucked-up version in a Flying Pickets way.
That madman is called Dokaka.

Has also done totally fucked-up a capella versions of Iron Maiden, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, but also Miles Davis, Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder and even Shakira. list ain't ending here.
has worked with Björk.
humanfreekingbeatbox.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

veiko wrote:
veiko wrote:that same show also broadcasted one bloody freaky version of Slayer' "Angel of Death". acappella - everything was done with vocals. some sort of mad fucked-up version in a Flying Pickets way.
That madman is called Dokaka.

Has also done totally fucked-up a capella versions of Iron Maiden, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, but also Miles Davis...
humanfreekingbeatbox.
WOW...that I gotta hear...trumpet sound and all????? ....get digging Veiko!
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

Stoopid question, but, did anyone record it?

ALL of it?

Id really like to get my hands on a david viner live set, did you guys enjoy him, hes one of my fave artists albums of this year (and last), and a lovely chap to boot, pls mail or IM whatever la dee da, and tahnks for the reviews, i was recovering from a hangover in edinburgh so couldnt make it :(
Scooby
New user

Post by Scooby »

This was my first Spiritualized concert, was introduced through my bro. I am now a converted fan, and proceeded to buy most of the album back catalogue..prefer the live sound though.

I can honestly say I have experienced no other concert like it before....

I did also enjoy David Viner live set and it would of been music I wouldn't normally get a chance to listen too. Watching him at the RFH venue just worked so well.
I bought the album the very next day after failing to get "this boy don't care" out of my head. :-)

Scooby
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

See i told you!

fave line of that song "you might as well save your last blood soak stained stare, as i told you girl this boy dont care"
alexprevious anno

RFH

Post by alexprevious anno »

Dear will this do

I would expect to be blown away in fact that is the standard set by Jason. Not jaded at all, just do not want to see the standard drop. Jason is a perfectionist you can see this up to and including The Albert Hall gig but I think that is missing. I have been to 36 gigs of spirtiualized and I think the only two I cannot honestly say were brilliant, were the last two I went to the RFH and last sept or Oct sometime at the eclectric ballroom (I think).

Ian - been on your website Jason did play the brentford waterman arms gig in 1989 May(ish)in fac tthey went off for 10 minutes then came back on and everyone left got on stage with them. Can give you pictures if you want.

I do not think I am alone - Spiritualized and SP3 is to some people, more than just entertainment it is the passion of his writing and musical composition and thats my point.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

brentford gig - i've got 2 different versions of this, one is a sonic solo set and one is full sp3. maybe jason was late...
Sheldon-san

Post by Sheldon-san »

Jasonsmith wrote:The feaky dancer in the red shirt with glasses and his mate deserve extra opprobrium for for going out twice for beer during the spz set, making us having to let them by 4 (count them, 4!) times. When on the second occasion I suggested that he might like to stay in the bar, he became quite offensive. Get high on the music man! I feel sorry for the young lady he was with, who was recording the set list and obviously much more into the music than any of her three male companions, the third of whom I had to ask to be quiet while his mates were on the beer run...
:D

Opprobium? The young man in question was enjoying himself along with his girlfriend and companions. I suggest you stay clear of the forthcoming Brixton gig, I understand beer is sold within the auditorium, which you may find highly offensive! Best stick to the Darby and Joan club they do a nice cup of tea there.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

As far as this old-timer remembers, in the Brixton Academy the bar area affords a view of the stage, so maybe the young gentleman in question should take a bar stool along. I hope the young man did enjoy his evening, but I can assure him that my enjoyment and that of my companion who was sitting next to me was definitely diminished by the constant interruption. Such behaviour and talking constantly during the quiet bits (or shouting during the loud bits) are old chestnuts here. I just expect that when I go to see a concert that I can listen to the music without having a constant background of inane chatter. I imagine that the young people in question would have been ejected from the auditorium had they been attending a classical concert, and quite right too. Earl Grey anyone?
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

For those unlucky to miss it and those fortunate enough to be there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Don't get too excited kids, the camera work is a bit wobbly, the lights play havoc with the camera's electronics, and the disc stutters in places. There are some funny asides from the cameraman though e.g., "The last time I saw them this drone thing went on for !*"@ing ages..."