hi-fi bar, melbourne

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

antimony
Known user

hi-fi bar, melbourne

Post by antimony »

Silver Apples (support) - thought he was amazing. can't believe he wrote some of that stuff 40 years ago.

Spiritualized - a blinding show, LOUD and beautiful! highlights were definitely lay back in the sun & take me to the other side, lots of people with fingers in their ears for that one. lights were a bit pissy but who cares. crowd mostly into it and respectful, seemed like a lot of people didn't know them. even met someone in the toilet (girls do that, meet people in the toilet queue) who was there just to see Silver Apples. great venue, haven't been there before. felt more intimate than PoW and definitely a better sound.

i have some rubbish photos & little bits of video (but all of 'life is a problem') if anyone is interested.

set list was the usual:
amazing grace/you lie you cheat
shine a light
cheapster
soul on fire
sweet talk
sitting on fire
walkin with jesus
oh baby
rated x
think i'm in love
lay back in the sun
death take your fiddle
life is a problem
ladies & gentlemen
she kissed me
come together
take me to the other side
-----------------------------
oh happy day

antimony
sunny
Site Admin

Re: hi-fi bar, melbourne

Post by sunny »

Thanks for that review! I have been waiting to hear something...a link for the video and pics would be most welcome. :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
antimony
Known user

Post by antimony »

no worries Sunny, will post links tomorrow as am at work today. having trouble concentrating though.
t
vue22
New user

Post by vue22 »

yeh i agree with the lights, i thought they were much more intense at the pow shows in the past.

jason was much more talkative this time though ;)

i would love to see the video and pics if anybody has any.

hope there is a bootleg out there somewhere too
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

vue22 wrote: jason was much more talkative this time though ;)
Did he say more than "thank you" ?
alaero
New user

Post by alaero »

Nope only a thank you..

but my god it was a awesome show.

for my first SPZ i was blown away!

Going to see them in sydney next week aswell!!

a.
vue22
New user

Post by vue22 »

toomilk wrote:
vue22 wrote: jason was much more talkative this time though ;)

yeh just "thank you", but a still a lot more than the last time he came out
antimony
Known user

Post by antimony »

vue22 wrote:
toomilk wrote:
he said 'thank you' twice though, and there was that moment when he made a kind of 'oh' sound a bit earlier, like he was ABOUT to speak. :lol:
vue22
New user

Post by vue22 »

antimony wrote:
vue22 wrote:
toomilk wrote:
he said 'thank you' twice though, and there was that moment when he made a kind of 'oh' sound a bit earlier, like he was ABOUT to speak. :lol:
haha yeh i remember that 'oh' but i couldnt tell whether it was just my ears making some wild buzzing noises or what...but i apreciate his efforts all the same
diminished
New user

Post by diminished »

antimony wrote:Spiritualized - a blinding show, LOUD and beautiful! highlights were definitely lay back in the sun & take me to the other side, lots of people with fingers in their ears for that one. lights were a bit pissy but who cares. crowd mostly into it and respectful, seemed like a lot of people didn't know them. even met someone in the toilet (girls do that, meet people in the toilet queue) who was there just to see Silver Apples. great venue, haven't been there before. felt more intimate than PoW and definitely a better sound.

i have some rubbish photos & little bits of video (but all of 'life is a problem') if anyone is interested.
I was overseas when they first toured and lethargic the second time, so I was glad to catch them this time around. And I had the earplugs in before they took the stage. Quite enjoyable, for the most part...

What pissed me off, like just about every gig I go to, was that I seem to get stuck next to some idiot who has to talk to their friends all night. And when the music builds, they have to increase their level of shouting so they can continue their conversation. (This is not "whoooo" for favourite songs etc, this is constant chatter during entire songs).

And when I ask if they can be a little more considerate and hold their conversation until between songs, I get 10 minutes more of deliberately over-volume chatter ("I can't BELIEVE what he said..." etc) until I have to move.

Fuck me, I swear I'm going to follow one of them home one day until they go to the cinema, then talk throught the movie until they ask me to be quiet, then say "Spiritualized, Hi Fi Bar, GET IT??????"

Anyway, as another poster said, if a recording surfaces I'll be interested. To hear the bits I didn't last night....

Wish me luck for Throwing Muses next week...
alaero
New user

Post by alaero »

diminished wrote:
antimony wrote:
What pissed me off, like just about every gig I go to, was that I seem to get stuck next to some idiot who has to talk to their friends all night. And when the music builds, they have to increase their level of shouting so they can continue their conversation. (This is not "whoooo" for favourite songs etc, this is constant chatter during entire songs).

And when I ask if they can be a little more considerate and hold their conversation until between songs, I get 10 minutes more of deliberately over-volume chatter ("I can't BELIEVE what he said..." etc) until I have to move.

Fuck me, I swear I'm going to follow one of them home one day until they go to the cinema, then talk throught the movie until they ask me to be quiet, then say "Spiritualized, Hi Fi Bar, GET IT??????"

Anyway, as another poster said, if a recording surfaces I'll be interested. To hear the bits I didn't last night....

Wish me luck for Throwing Muses next week...
I have to agree with this, we were beside some people that did nothing but talk through the first 40 minutes of the set.

When we asked them to be quiet his reaction was like " what ever mate" and i said i have been waiting a long time for this, eventually he shut up, but then had the balls to come up to towards the end of the set and said "why dont you go ask the rest of the people to shut up aswell" i remained VERY calm if i want so engrossed in the gig i think i would have made some thing else out of it.
minigmgoit
New user

Post by minigmgoit »

What an awesome gig that was! I've been waiting to see them play live for years.
I loved it.
I did however get a bit of shit of the guy next to me though (because I was a bit of a state by the end). I wasnt doing anything wrong (ie falling in to people) but he just kept on being a dick.

Hardly impacts on the night though.

I thought Jason looked to be in high spirits and definatly did a lot of smiling :mrgreen:

Great gig, great memory
Miss T
New user

Post by Miss T »

I think the gig at Hi-Fi Bar was better than the 04 gig at PoW. I just fucking love seeing them play live, their music is like a lullaby to me. Did they have the backup singers at the PoW gig? I can't remember but it was a fantastic addition to the gig the other night. I think it really added to the songs, especially 'I Think I'm In Love'.

Silver Apples well hmm, it's not really my thing but he seemed to be quite popular. Silver Apples, indeed.

I got some cool pics though, I think. Please don't steal them or something. Whatever.

The highlight of the night was 'I Think I'm In Love' - I just love that song live, esp the bass. I really wished they had played 'Baby I'm Just A Fool' but we can't have it all, eh?
antimony
Known user

Post by antimony »

have posted the video on youtube, here is the link to 'life is a problem':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWq21XzzhZ8
follow that to the other vids i've posted and you should get them all, none of the others are full songs though.

also some photos, here:
http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/ii44 ... cemonkeys/

sorry the quality isn't better.

and what is wrong with ppl who go to a show & talk all the way through it? was going to mention it but didn't want to whinge. i was luckily not right next to any but the constant talky-drone was irritating.

thanks for the pics Miss T - they're great! they didn't have backing singers in 04 or 02, didn't think they would this time either - must have used the extra ATP money. what a treat, hey? loved them singing 'amazing grace'.

alaero - am jealous, wish i were going to Sydney. pls post and tell us that the Melbourne show was better.

t

update
someone else has posted a bit of 'come together' -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-BRhDzth18
/update
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I guess turnabout is fair play here.
you guys had to sit and listen to us in the "other " hemisphere wax poetic about just how good this particular incarantion of Spiritualized is. And how they were getting better and better as the tour progressed.
Now we are all jealous.
Enjoy the shows.
Japan you are next!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Re: talking throughout gigs, its everywhere man, try going to a show in London when all the "scenesters" are in attendance its enough to drive you to violence...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Thanx for all the clips and pictures- it makes me feel like I can at least catch a glimps of it. They're sounding great, wish I was there. :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
rdw23
New user

Post by rdw23 »

What an amazing gig. Come Together & Take Me To The Other Side were perhaps the loudest songs I've ever heard live.

Lay Back in The Sun, Think I'm in Love and Ladies & Gentlemen...were total highlights.
crackfox
New user

Post by crackfox »

wow...

having seen em in 2002 (amazing) and twice in 2004 (not quite as good, but got to meet jason and the boys), i'd rate this as their best performance... this incarnation of the band, stripped back with just 2 guitars, and the addition of the backing singers, is surely one of Jason's best... a mate said to me yesterday after seeing the show "they must be like one of the 2 or 3 best bands in the world right now huh"... he was only slightly joking... they were flying. J was smiling, snarling and attacking his equipment...

A relatively quiet first 2 thirds of the gig gave way to an insanely loud conclusion... I didn't think I'd ever hear them play 'Lay Back In the Sun' live, and was amazed to hear 'Ladies and Gentlemen' given the full 'Elvis-mix' treatment...

I'm now a) pissed off i didn't go to ATP, and b) seriously toying with the idea of heading to Sydney by myself next Friday arvo for the Metro show... It's almost like I'd be cheating myself if I didn't make every effort to see this show again... Lemme know if I can stay at yours...

Daniel.
alaero
New user

Post by alaero »

crackfox wrote:
A relatively quiet first 2 thirds of the gig gave way to an insanely loud conclusion... I didn't think I'd ever hear them play 'Lay Back In the Sun' live, and was amazed to hear 'Ladies and Gentlemen' given the full 'Elvis-mix' treatment...

I'm now a) pissed off i didn't go to ATP, and b) seriously toying with the idea of heading to Sydney by myself next Friday arvo for the Metro show... It's almost like I'd be cheating myself if I didn't make every effort to see this show again... Lemme know if I can stay at yours...

Daniel.
I have been devouring live bootlegs since 2004 and there was no way in hell i was missing them LIVE.. considering how much flights are to Sydney and the cost of the tickets i am well chuffed to be seeing them again in the space of two weeks.

I have seen some live gigs in my time, John Farnham, Massive Attack, Beastie etc and Spiritualized blew them away...

Next friday night cant com soon enough..
crackfox
New user

Post by crackfox »

i'm assuming the farnham bit is a joke?

it's funny, i used to be obsessed with bootlegs too - but you can never get from a recording what we got the other night in melbourne...
alaero
New user

Post by alaero »

crackfox wrote:i'm assuming the farnham bit is a joke?

it's funny, i used to be obsessed with bootlegs too - but you can never get from a recording what we got the other night in melbourne...

Yeah Farnham crack was a joke..

interestingly the set list we had in Melbourne the other night was almost the same as a couple of bootlegs/ live gigs i have.

but your right NOTHING compares to seeing them live
timnib
New user

Post by timnib »

What a gig! in my opinion better than the last two POW gigs, and the audio of it has just been posted up at DIME!
diminished
New user

Post by diminished »

timnib wrote:What a gig! in my opinion better than the last two POW gigs, and the audio of it has just been posted up at DIME!
Thanks for the heads up.
crackfox wrote:it's funny, i used to be obsessed with bootlegs too - but you can never get from a recording what we got the other night in melbourne...
I do like to have a copy of gigs I have been to though, as a reminder, or souvenir, if you will. But yeah, I don't generally bother to hunt down other concerts.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

I would be absolutely thrilled if they played the exact same set in Sydney on Friday.

And with the fairly static setlists this tour I'd guess I have a pretty good shot.
crackfox
New user

Post by crackfox »

hello

does anyone know how i can get a copy of the audio from this Melbourne show if I'm not a DIME member?

Anyone have it and sharing it on Soulseek?

Cheers, Daniel
Miss T
New user

Post by Miss T »

I would love an audio of that show, also! Any help would be appreciated. I'm on SLSK too.

Some amazing photos have been posted on FL http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/gallery/ ... alized.htm
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

DIME is always opening up new spots for members, just keep trying and you should be able to register no problem.
Miss T
New user

Post by Miss T »

I got membership first try! Downloading as we speak, v excited.
timnib
New user

Post by timnib »

I have photos from the HiFi Bar and ATP festival going up at my blog and I will put some of the music from the HiFi gig up there too (for people who can't join Dime) If you PM me thru the blog I will be more than happy to send you a copy of the whole gig OK.
http://www.exileonmoanstreet.blogspot.com
Regards/
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Love the pictures - wish I'd been close enough to take some good ones. Dunno about this show being better than the '04 show at the POW. Maybe it's because we got Take Your Time in that set... Ladies and Gentlemen went a long way to making up for that, though. Still, it was nice not having to go southside to see them for the first time. Stuck around for a short while afterwards and got to meet the two backing singers - lovely ladies, and very keen to talk about how much they enjoy travelling with the band (presumably despite having to sing "good dope, good fun" over and over again!).
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I wonder if that shirt smells by now.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I wonder if that shirt smells by now.
Maybe his wardrobe is abit like batmans and there 50 Roky Erickson t-shirts in there. And if its not maybe we need to all chip in and get him a new one? Put me down for a pound.