Roky Erickson playing at the Forum on 20 August

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Greeny
Known user

Roky Erickson playing at the Forum on 20 August

Post by Greeny »

Hi folks,

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but Roky's doing another show in London, at the Forum in Kentish Town on 20 August...

Cheers!
simonkeeping
Known user

Re: Roky Erickson playing at the Forum on 20 August

Post by simonkeeping »

Thanks for the heads up Greeny, looks like tickets are still available.

http://www.seetickets.com/see/price.asp ... 3=id1gmaps
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Done

Nice one, Greeny
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Well, that was a funny old curate's egg of a show. First things first, I certainly wasn't expecting the Elevators to appear from some time-warp in their late 60s pomp - what we got was a barely functioning Roky with some decent pick-up guys.

Roky, bless him, makes Daniel Johnston look a picture of health and sanity. He never spoke and the only gesture to the crowd wa a double fisted salute after the main set. He also had to be shown where to stand (front central), told what was going to be played and helped on and off with his guitar.

But - amazingly - once he was playing the tunes it was like he came alive - every song belted out with a clear if ragged voice and no flubbed lines or restarts or anything...it was as tight a set as you'll see. Extraordinary.

I'll leave the Elevators afficionados to list the songs played, but all in all it was an enjoyable evening in the presence of a true psychedelic legend. Something that genuinely may not happen again, as I'm baffled at how they managed to get him all the way over here in the first place, since he clearly couldn't find his way from the dressing room to the stage without assistance.