Primal Scream/Spiritualized joint gig at Brixton Academy!

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Glad you liked it Elsp. I had a mousetrap in my room but couldn't see any unwanted friends.

Make breakfast?! You're having a laugh. I surfaced very reluctantly at 1pm on Sunday, so any fuzzy-haired bloke certainly wasn't me!

I had my belated breakfast at that takeaway right opposite the hotel. Big rack of ribs and chips. Hangover-shifter!
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

Nick Cave, Spiritualized, & Primal Scream: shouldn't this have been a benefit for Narcotics Annonymous instead of Palestine? The night should have ended with Bobby Gillespie, Jason Pierce, and ol' Nick covering Heroin together. Fucking good show though!
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

ah, you!

i want your songs: check your private messages.

Post by Guest »

The academy hold something like 5000 people,
over 5000 people log on this space,
I'm sure it's a case of egomania.
lemhawklord
Known user

Post by lemhawklord »

Yeah it was me.
It should have logged on automaticaly, but fucking did not...
What can I say!
If you want to get into it you've got to get out of it

Re: Primal Scream/Spiritualized joint gig at Brixton Academy

Post by Guest »

[quote="The Panzer Attacker"]yes folks. Just got back from Primal Scream at Shepherds bush empire, top quality stuff. Anyway around the venue there were posters advertising a new Primal Scream / Spiritualized double header at Brixton on 16th Oct! Runs from 8pm until 2am. Ticket details to follow....

Quality....[/quote]
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

errr ... you know that's been and gone, last year, right ..?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

gonna burn brightly
for a while
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

What a great evening. After the gig we roamed the streets of London until our train to Luton.

Still have a signed poster.

M
Design.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Wow ... what an emotive thread to resurrect!

Reading posts from Adrian after all this time has brought tears to my eyes. Around 2004 we were sending CDs back and forth and exchanging lots of emails - many concerning the new hifi he'd just bought, and his particular dissatisfaction with the record player he initially got.

It was good fortune that one disc I sent him was an upconverted CD of the magnificent 16 minute "Benny's Trip" remix. As I recall the official download was 192kbs, and the upconverted wav-encoded CD I sent sounded better on his new system than the original 1-sided pink vinyl he was lucky to own - obvious cause for concern!

I was happy and pleased to offer sufficient help that enabled Adrian to persuade the shop let him exchange, and get a much more satisfactory turntable. As I recall he got an early Pro-ject Debut (a well-regarded and popular choice amongst vinyl enthusiasts I know), and he was able to get it well set it up - so as the original pink Magnetophone vinyl sounded considerably better than the upsampled CD of my relatively poor-quality mp3 download, as well as the many other records he held dear and now was better placed to enjoy ... he seemed very pleased!

I'm sure other members here who were in touch with him learned something of this protracted saga, and I believe at some point he posted on here about his quest for sonic excellence and his acquisition of a decent quality new hifi system. I expect others like me benefited from his generosity in exchanging bootlegs of live and recorded Spiritualized and Spacemen 3 material, amongst other stuff. I still have some of those gratefully-recieved CDs he kindly sent that I have never got round to listening to - as others will no doubt confirm he was always over-generous, and for every disc I sent his way over the years, he must have sent at least 3 or 4 times as many back!

I'm heartened to recall that all the communications between us were so positive and not just engaging but useful and enjoyable! What happened subsequently was a sad and tragic occurrence. I like to think that the uplifted and music-enthusiastic exchanges we shared, genuinely reflected a better place Adrian was in, and hopefully akin to what he enjoyed for most of his all-too-short life.

If I'd known I would be remembering and reminiscing right now, I'd have bought some Kopperburg (sp?) pear cider, as that was another indulgence and pleasure he introduced me to (as rightly superior to the now-ubiquitous Magners/Bulmers).

I invite other board members to raise their chosen glass to a sadly missed contributer and genuinely nice human being ... I just annoyed the neighbours with 16+ loud minutes of magnificent Sonic Boom-remixed Magnetophone magic (courtesy of Matt & John 'phone), in memory of a soul sadly missed but not forgotten ...

I never knew control
I wander dreams at night
I don't know who I am
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

God, 2004... feels like a lifetime ago. :(

Though interestingly all four of the artists appearing at this show are still going strong, which says something as to the quality of the bill.

I've got that Sonic/Magnetophone Benny's Trip pink vinyl, must dig it out again.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Adrian, or Fuzzhead, lives on in my heart and memory.
I regularly exchange Christmas greetings with his brother and family just to let them know his Spiritualized family has never forgotten their brother.
He definitely lives on on this board and the Fantasy Premier League named after him that he started oh so many years ago.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm sure this was a great show, but has anyone watched the DVD? utter pants. the sound is flat as a pancake.
crazy that it's been 10 years since the Amazing Grace tour... a decade since I saw the band at Glastonbury! damn I'm getting old..
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

And scary that ten years later, the Palestine situation (which I believe this gig was to raise money for?) is just as horrific. Sad stuff.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:I'm sure this was a great show, but has anyone watched the DVD? utter pants. the sound is flat as a pancake.
crazy that it's been 10 years since the Amazing Grace tour... a decade since I saw the band at Glastonbury! damn I'm getting old..
That Glastonbury 2004 slot, headlining the new bands (now John Peel) stage on the Sunday was probably the best documented video/DVD the band has produced, albeit that subsequent DVDs have simply taken advantage of the amazing job the BBC did in the OB truck that sent out the Red button special live broadcast, as opposed to an official concert video release.

What's really ironic is that the charity gig which included Primal Scream, and appeared on the supposedly professionally recorded, mixed and mastered DVD release, ended up with a 5.1 DVD release which was an embarrassment to the musical goals and endeavours of both bands, and particularly the usual high audio quality standards of Jason...

However the bootlegs of the BBC 2004 Glastonbury gig, which I am lucky enough to have 3 versions of, courtesy of eBay vendors who each kindly sent me a free copy in the 2-3 year period after, as a gesture of goodwill due to the money I'd spent on their goods, turned out to be excellent (if a tad short) documents of a really good live Spiritualized gig.

It turned out (as anyone who has compared both DVDs on a well calibrated and setup 5/6.1 system) that bootleg of Glastonbury - whilst having never been subjected to the sonic rigour of an official release - is far better than the DVD released to raise funds for what I have subsequently learned (and made efforts to further support) is a very worthy charity ... and the events currently clouding the news show how important a charity it is!

How incompetent were the producers and engineers working on the HOPING DVD? I can't believe the sound they started with could possibly be as bad as the sound they mixed and mastered for that release ... what really upsets me is what a worthy charity the HOPING Foundation is (and I'm grateful for Jason & co introducing me to it, especially as in previous day jobs I was lucky to influence fundraising to the point where the usual suspects were denied albeit relatively small sums, and HOPING was able to benefit.)

But when I consider that in every other sonic endeavour Jason has released for public consumption, he is/was conspicuous by his presence in post-production ... I guess the flip side is to remember this was the only time he seemed to take his eye off the ball - a better hit rate than most musicians I respect :!:

At lease, despite the shitty sound quality, Spiritualized, Primal Scream et al were able to raise the profile of a deserving, yet small, charity - which I for one would not have been able to garner contributions to, had I not heard it here first!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

wow, 10 years, haha. Amazing really.
I was also lucky enough to be at both that show and hte glastonbury john peel set...which was truly epic. I did have a copy of the glastonbury DVD from back in the day but I guess it's been lost in moves. If anyone knows where I can get a copy still, that would be amazing!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

if only he would do a stripped back show, maybe with strings and backing singers :wink: :D
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”