Primal Scream/Spiritualized joint gig at Brixton Academy!

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

The Panzer Attacker

Primal Scream/Spiritualized joint gig at Brixton Academy!

Post by The Panzer Attacker »

yes folks. Just got back from Primal Scream at Shepherds bush empire, top quality stuff. Anyway around the venue there were posters advertising a new Primal Scream / Spiritualized double header at Brixton on 16th Oct! Runs from 8pm until 2am. Ticket details to follow....

Quality....
Sonic loon
New user

Post by Sonic loon »

Oh yes...

I was there too. Awesome though the Scream were (and fuck, Shields has lost a few pounds since last time!), the best bit of the night was finding out about said gig.

Jason was stood next to me watching it. I asked him about the gig – he said it's for charidee, there's gonna be loads more acts on the bill and that they're gonna keep the ticket prices low.

See y'all there...
"I'll give it up for you but let me finish what I got"
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Saturday, October 16 at 8:00 PM
HOPING FOUNDATION PRESENT: Primal Scream plus Spiritualised

Over 18's Only / Until 2.00am http://www.brixton-academy.co.uk
£25.00
On sale: Monday, August 23 at 9:00 AM
http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region ... 6&year=104

HOPING stands for Hope and Optimism for Palestinians In the Next Generation. This next generation will be the key to peace. Palestinian refugee children need the simple chances and ordinary possibilities that can offer them creative solutions to their lives. The most important thing we can do is to help generate these possibilities, giving refugee children a belief in the promise of a better future. We will be showing Palestinian children that their struggle to transform their lives is encouraged and supported by people in Britain and throughout the rest of the world.

HOPING maintains a small scale administrative set-up in order to ensure that a large majority of funds we raise are given directly to community projects in refugee camps working with children. Most importantly, the recipients of grants are small community initiatives that provide immediate assistance, and will make such a huge difference to their everyday lives. Grants are provided to encourage and improve all aspects of children’s lives; through art, music, social and sporting activities, and through their education and health needs.

http://www.hopingfoundation.org/
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

throw in mogwai and thats my dream bill. uugghh you british bastards, you get all the good shows!! somebody please get this show recorded, please!

xxxshonnxxx
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Spz...Primal Scream for HOPE....
The potential for this gig is huge and anybody who loves music and has any sort of conscience must be there....
Bring it on now.......
ChuckBugle

Post by ChuckBugle »

Would have missed it as I was due to return from a family holiday on the next day....

....if I had booked my flights already that is.

Looks like I'm cutting my holiday short by a day then... I'll be there.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Seriously i think there is no excuse for anybody on this board not to go. It promises to be a night of sheer rock n roll exuberance with money finally going to the right people.
Primal Scream with Bobby & now Kevin ensure we have real rock n roll bliss and here Spz are loved by all.... We can only hope for Sonic and the night becomes complete....
Man sometimes when you least expect it the excitement can shoot you through the sky....
If only The Telescopes could play and every piece of the jigsaw would fit....
Come on....
Elspeth
Known user

Post by Elspeth »

Never in the history of man has a person feld to their credit card to buy tickets. NEVER

can't wait

Elspeth M
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Got mine!
I'm still shaken by having had to get up this early, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

:D
Got 'em! This is gonna be a fantastic night.

Bit of a lumpy booking fee from ticketweb though, £19.50 on 6 tickets (Ouch!). Wouldn't mind if it was going to charity but it looks like it'll be going to the greedy hands of ticketweb who did F*all as I booked over the internet.

Mind you, Primals plus Spiritualized = Priceless!
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

got mine and ticketweb had my pants down too. How long are Spiritualized going to get? Are they the support act or is it a split bill?

Post by Guest »

just got tickets for the gig
does anyone know how one would go about getting from brixton to central london at 2am in the morn? is the tube still running? how much is a taxi.
i'm not from london so clueless!
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

no tubes I'm afraid, it'll probably cost you about £15 in a cab.
Scooby
New user

Post by Scooby »

I think £15 quid for a taxi is a bit optimistic for 2am, your looking at about £20 - £25 quid for black cabs (official london cabs) the dodgy cabs would be £15 quid but you generally have to know how to get there yourself as they don't really have a clue.

Try http://www.zingotaxi.co.uk/ as there will not be many black cabs in Brixton at 2am, I used to live there.

See you there!!!
Scooby
unkle_karl
Known user

Post by unkle_karl »

Forget taxis (to central london at that time of night, hmm), if you're not in too much of a rus then I'd say night buses all the way! Don't ask me which one though....
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Steve Mason of the Beta Band will be playing acoustic in between the sets of the Scream and Spiritualized. Don't know if this means Beta Band songs or King Biscuit Time songs but should be interesting nonetheless.
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

Cool, but imagine if it was the Beta Band inbetween, could a line-up get any better?
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i'm hoping andy weatherall might be dj-ing in between, too. he played on the scream tour and at the sbe gig the other night. aside from a couple of nuggets (i'm five years ahead of my time) and death disco by pil, it was ace, little bits of primal scream drum tracks thrown in and sirens to scare everyone ...

so hopefully he might be there ...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Steve Mason as well! that is a unexpected stroke of Genius!
Let_it_flow
New user

Post by Let_it_flow »

DREAM GIG... SPZ, Primal Scream and rumours of STeve from Beta Band... Best Venue in London... and its my birthday!

Cheers, couldn't have asked for a better present x
vigil
Known user

well well well...

Post by vigil »

'beautiful noise"..you took the words right out my mouth!!
you lucky english fucks!!!!!....hell, maybe i'll win the lottery or high jack a plane...opps! CIA on my tail again

hey fellas--bring the show to the filmore in san francisco!!!

well, anybody down to spot me a ticket and fly my ass out there?

c'mon, do it...you'd be the bomb.

paz.
still falling

Post by Guest »

How hard do you think they'll be on the 18+ issue. I've already bought my ticket, and at that point I'll only be a bit off from 18, and I certainly look 18. Thanks
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Anonymous wrote:How hard do you think they'll be on the 18+ issue. I've already bought my ticket, and at that point I'll only be a bit off from 18, and I certainly look 18. Thanks

If there's grass on the pitch, let's play!

:twisted:
J SpaceDan
Known user

Post by J SpaceDan »

Me and my mate are planning to crash at my brother's place in Acton after the gig - how easy would it be to get there from Brixton at 2am? Would we be better off staying with a mate who lives near Waterloo? You'll have to excuse my ignorance; I know embarrassingly little about our nation's capital...
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

You know more than me about it. I've only ever been to London once and hated it. I'm gonna love it on the 16th October though! My mate and I have booked to stay at a hotel about a mile away from the Brixton Accademy that night.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

It's called The New Dome Hotel.

Here's a link:

http://www.thenewdomehotel.activehotels.com/
Tyrone Slothrop

Post by Tyrone Slothrop »

Getting anywhere in London on night buses is a piece of piss. All buses either start or terminate in trafalgar square, so you can't really go wrong. Don't quote me in terms of getting to Acton - having lived in the fair city for 5 years now, i've never actually set foot in that particular part of west London - but i'd be damned if you can't do it on two buses.

Don't remember the route number that gets you from Brixton to Trafalgar Sq, but having been on it more than once, there definitely is one! And the bus stop is only 3 minutes walk from the Academy.

Now all i have to do is convince some people to shell out again for another gig. I'll second the complaint on booking fees - it's basically a system of buy 3 tickets, pay for 4. Scandalous.
J SpaceDan
Known user

Post by J SpaceDan »

Nice one, I'll look into the night buses once I've got over the fact that public transport does sometimes run after 6pm (take that, West Midlands Travel's 376 route)

Post by Guest »

Hey, has anyone any ideas for what to do if you can't afford a hotel and just have to spend the rest of the streets of london?
are there any all night cafes around that anyone could recommend, even if not in brixton providing the night buses go there. also does anyone know when the tube lines start running again?
Cheers
Elspeth
Known user

Post by Elspeth »

Thanks Fuzzhead

we'll be a staying at that hotel too - you should get commission !

20 days and counting
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Glad I could help. If your room is infested with cockroaches don't blame me though. :shock:
dell
New user

Post by dell »

were heading down from huddersfield 5 of us, are there any places anyone can recommend that will be open all night as our train back is 10.00 am and dont fancy just wandering the streets!!!
jesus son
Known user

Night Buses From Brixton

Post by jesus son »

For information on night buses I found this handy 'spider map' at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/night.shtml

the top link on the list shows all the buses you could ever need from Brixton.

Hope this helps.
dell
New user

Post by dell »

definetly come in handy cheers mate!!!
Elspeth
Known user

Post by Elspeth »

dell !

we're travelling down from Huddersfield too - say hello or "ye alriiight?" if you see me and Ben (husb) :wink:

I have blonde platts and will be very excited ! wu hoo - sorry can't think of anywhere for you to stay.

make sure you take some thermals!

Fuzzhead, hope to be too wrecked to be bothered about cockroaches- doubt somehow it'll be as nice as The Adelphi where we stayed when we went to see Spz in Liverpool.

Elspeth x
dell
New user

Post by dell »

Hopefully wont need thermals as im sure enough drink will numb us, quite looking forward to stumbling around london and were pretty sure well find an all nighter somewhere before catching the train back!!
Cant wait!!!
Neil
Known user

Post by Neil »

There are quite a few all nighters in Brixton, most will be playing hard house or just plain house music depending who is djing. Most are within a 5 or 10 minute walk of the academy.

Plan B, dogstar, Living room are all in the middle of Brixton and are bar/clubs while the Fridge, Mass, Bug Bar and the 414 are full on clubs and go through till at least 5am or at the latest about 11am.

Other than that there is the Hobgoblin, Telegraph and George IV which are about a 10 minute walk and are all bar/clubs and should see you through till about 6am.
dell
New user

Post by dell »

nice one Neil just what we wanted thanks for info!!
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Feature from Bobby Gillespie on the reasons behind tomorrow's gig:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/commen ... 54,00.html
Muddy Mudskipper
New user

Post by Muddy Mudskipper »

How cute, a fundraiser for Hamas and al-Qaeda. Are the proceeds going towards Jerusalem bus trips for suicide bombers? This is just to balance the disgusting propaganda being regurgitated by the 'Hoping Foundation':

Firstly, the original British Mandate of 'Palestine' was split into two areas. In 1922 'Transjordan' (now Jordan) was created and consisted of around 3/4 of the land mass of 'Palestine'. Bear in mind that 'Palestine' was never an autonomous entity, it was simply a region. The remaining area was to be split into Jewish and Arab territory, in 1947 the Jews accepted this partition of the remaining land but the Arabs rejected it and declared 'holy war'. Israel declared its independence in May, 1948. On that very day the armies of the surrounding Arab nations attacked Israel, and to quote Azzam Pasha, Secretary General of the Arab League at the time:

"This will be a war of extermination and a momentous massacre which will be spoken of like the Mongolian massacres and the Crusades".

Israel defended itself and pushed back the invading Arab armies. 800,000 Jews were forced out of the Middle East Arab states upon Israel's creation. They were taken in by the fledgling Jewish state and were settled. Conversely, the Arab refugees have never been taken care of by their own brethren. In spite of the fact that the Arab leaders had told them to leave whilst they "drove the Jews into the sea." Once this was achieved they were told they could return and reap the booty.

During the 1948 war around 150,000 Arabs stayed put in what is now Israel. They now number 1.3 million, and they enjoy all the freedoms associated with Western democracy, unlike their 'brothers' throughout the rest of the Middle East. The Arab states surrounding Israel have started four wars against Israel, they've lost every single time. And yet Israel is expected to give concessions each and every time she defends herself.

Refugees Forever?

Lastly we get to the so-called 'occupied territory', bear in mind that when a Palestinian uses this phrase they mean every square inch of Israel, or more specifically every square inch of land which has a Jew living on it. Between 1948 & 1967 Jordan occupied the 'West Bank' and Egypt was presiding over Gaza. During these 19 years there was no call for a 'Palestinian' state, and indeed no state was ever established. They had TWO DECADES to create another Arab state for the poor little refugees (that they don't give a crap about), and yet they didn't bother.

During the 1967 war, Israel liberated this territory and the political pawns now known as the 'Palestinians' were born. To quote ex-Palestinian terrorist, Walid Shoebat:

"I remember I was parading King Hussein as a child, identifying myself as a Jordanian," he said. "Then all of a sudden I became a Palestinian overnight.

From 1967 onwards, Israel built infrastructure in Gaza & the West Bank, water plants, sewage treatment works, schools, unversities, hospitals. Israeli medicine eradicated disease. Arab infant mortality decreased and life-expectancy simulataneously increased by around 25 years. This resulted in a population explosion, from 1.1 million in 1967, to 3.6 million in 2004. I suppose I should at least be thankful that the 'Hoping Foundation' aren't spouting the usual nonsense about Israeli genocide.

I always find it amusing that the people who profess to care so much about the Palestinians never mention Arafat's one billion Dollar personal fortune. Or the fact that he sends $150,000 per month to his wife in Paris. Nevermind that though huh, much easier to blame Israel rather than the Godfather of plane hijackings and international terrorism.

As for the pathetic fabricated quotes on the Hoping Foundation homepage, I wonder why they didn't include these?

Two 11 year old girls articulate their personal goal to Die for Allah - Shahada, explaining that “all Palestinian children” see Shahada because of its promised grand Afterlife, as more worthwhile than living. [Palestinian Authority TV, June 2002]

Palestinian Authority TV: Palestinian Authority religious leaders call for genocide of Jews - The Prophet said: the Resurrection will not take place until the Muslims fight the Jews, and the Muslims kill them. The Muslims will kill the Jews, rejoice [in it], rejoice in Allahs Victory. The Muslims will kill the Jews, and he will hide. The Prophet said: the Jews will hide behind the rock and tree, and the rock and tree will say: oh servant of Allah, oh Muslim this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!. Why is there this malice? Because there are none who love the Jews on the face of the earth. - Sheik Ibrahim Madiras Friday sermon, Palestinian Authority TV Sept. 10, 2004

"We are waging this cruel war with the brothers of the monkeys and pigs, the Jews and the sons of Zion The Jews will fight you and you will subjugate them. Until the Jew will stand behind the tree and rock. And the tree and rock will say: oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him." - Dr. Muhammad Ibrahim Maadi on his weekly TV show, Sept. 12, 2004

Even if agreements are signed temporarily for a PA state in the West Bank and Gaza Strip it is only a mater of time until all Israel will be conquered and replaced. Dr. Ahmad Abu Halabiya, Sharia (Islamic Law) Rulings Council, Rector of Advanced Studies, Islamic Univ.[Oct 13, 2000]

A religious leader argues that the Jewish leaders were responsible for the murder of the Jews in the Holocaust. - Dr. Muhammam Ibrahim Maadi. [Sept. 21, 2001]

The propaganda being broadcast daily by the Palestinian Authority would make even Goebbels himself blush, just watch some of the video links posted above. Aww, but the poor little oppressed 'Palestinians' have no choice but to detonate human nail bombs on buses, in cafes and in discos, right? No other religious groups on the planet resort to such despicable methods, and there are no Palestinian Christian suicide bombers. The Jews that were subjected to the holocaust never terrorised German babies or children, the French Resistance likewise. And to pick a more recent example, the Tibetans do not commit terrorist atrocities against China nor to they call for the genocide of the Chinese people. But Islamic terrorists only target Israel don't they? Nope...

Suicide bomber kills 39 in Pakistan Mosque

And finally, to put things into perspective, the Islamic government of the Sudan has slaughtered 70,000 civillians in the past year alone and 10,000 are dying per month, but hey who cares about a few black Africans being killed, maimed and raped by Arab militias, when we can hold a concert for Arafat's terrorist entity. :roll: Let's ride the fluffy bunny rabbit peace train and pretend that everything would be ok if Israel just rolled over and died quietly!

As for Bobby Gillespie, what happened to the 'Bomb The Pentagon' track? Didn't he pull it after the Pentagon was, umm, bombed. Wow, what a rebel. :lol: Or maybe just a clueless hippie liberal fuckwit. Fuck you, Bobby, and fuck your worthless cause.
jason_godman
Known user

Post by jason_godman »

Having not read the whole of that which may make this a bit crass. And also not wanting to sound too cliched but, its not exactly the kids' fault is it?
Never Failed Me Yet

"KILL EM ALL - LET GOD SORT EM OUT"

Post by Never Failed Me Yet »

Hey Muddy - take it you can't make it to the gig tonight then?

I thought it was a fundraiser for children - you utter arsehole.

What are you doing to make even the slightest difference - I hate armchair politicians as much as *********************.

Name your side . This can apply to bigoted fitba fans too!

My god is better than yours...

I notice you don't offer any suggestions to what should/could happen - but then it's so much easier to sit and say 'whatever next...'

Lets look for some kind of peace, otherwise we're all gonna go up in flames -

And let's ban religon and guns...until humanity has evolved a little more.

Post by Guest »

calm down, its only a commercial
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

jesus you are a prick. So a one sided history lesson is going to convince us that its all the Palestinians fault and that they deserve everything they get?

I'm all for a bit of banter about pollitics, but rants like that aren't welcome from my perspective. Kindly sod off.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm with clewsr here. Its so easy for someone to write a one-sided history as Mudskipper has done.

Mudskipper: I have close Jewish friends, several close American friends (couple who are both), as well as some close Arab friends, and I can safely say that if you generalise about any nationaility/Religious background you are an immediate wanker. And wankers exist everywhere - there are Jewish wankers, American wankers and Arab wankers, and the only common thing they have is nothing to do with their nationality or political persuasion. I recently went to my first Jewish wedding - some very dear friends of mine got hitched. It was brilliant and very different to any other wedding I'd been to. Someone warned me there'd be a Zionist speech given at the dinner by some distant member of the family from Israel. It happened and it was shocking - the level of racist hatred was alarming, and this was in a gentle family setting. My friends who had just got married were horrified and looked really pissed off that such an opportunity was taken to spout such prejudice. In your post you mention nothing of this sort of attitude, yet the speech was not dissimilar to the words of Dr. Muhammad Ibrahim Maadi you quote, except it was the other way round. Does my experience put me off liking Jews? Of course not - how idiotic would I be if it did? I'd be as bad as YOU! What a load of old bigotted nonsense you've written. You are the other side of the coin you criticise.

An out and out political rant is poor fodder for this environment. And anyone who has no sympathy for dying children is, as far as I'm concerned anyway, not welcome here. http://www.bigottedwankers.com awaits you. Ah - it doesn't exist yet - maybe you should start it.
a beautiful noise
Known user

sorry nothing kind about it clewsr, just have him FUCK OFF!

it's fucking unbelivable people came post that crap.

xxxshonxxx
prmlscrm fan

What a wanker!

Post by prmlscrm fan »

Firstly, if you are moaning so much about Bobby Gillespie, why don't you fuck off to the Primal Scream message board and bother them. But as you bought it up, I assume that you think releasing 'Bomb The Pentagon' would have been a good idea and that the Primals were wrong to rearrange the track after such a huge and TOTALLY UNEXPECTED disaster in Washington and New York.

In the same way Hollywood has neglected to make heist, hijack movies since 9/11, the Primals rightly decided to change their song (but keep the majority of the content) to reflect the mood at the time.

As for the gig supporting suicide bombers, I have never heard so much rubbish in my life. Above all else, the majority of people are going to this gig for the stellar line-up, rather than to support a worthy cause (I am saying this as I purchased my tickets from Shepherds Bush before I found out there was a charity connection). It is however a definite plus that the proceeds are being used to help and assist people in the Middle East who have to deal with the consequences of racist barbarians, like yourself on a daily basis. You should count yourself lucky that you live in a 'civilised' society where people can choose what causes they can and cannot support.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

you are right 9/11 was expected.

wasn't it 2002 summer when a chechen woman blow herself up during a rock-festival in Russia.
why?

no excuse. reason is below the reason. beneath the history.
and it's not entertainment.

it's very fine to see that this concert is for the CHILDREN of .... whatever, just insert the name of the country.

and let me rule your future - we can expect something totally fucked-up from North-Korea.
though, i don't want it. nobody wants it.

Post by Guest »

okay then - back to the music perhaps?...anyone recovered enough from last night to post a review? Keen to hear all about it...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

[oops. that was me]
unkle_karl
Known user

Post by unkle_karl »

I'm surprised noone has said anything about it yet, so here's my 2 cents:

Spritualized were on good form. It wasn't too much different (shocker!) to glastonbury, songs in slightly different order, and the set was too short really (just an hour). But the band seemed really into it, it's great to see Jason enjoying playing so much. I can't remember the exact set, but it was something like:

Walkin With Jesus
Lord Let It Rain On Me
Cheapster
Oh Baby
Come Together
Think I'm In Love
Take Your Time
Smiles/Things'll Never....

I'm sure I've missed something out. The end of Smiles... sounded awesome, and went on for ages. Really though, Primal Scream were incredible. They are the most ridiculous looking band around at the minute - Bobby staggering around like a nutter, Mani gurning for england, Shields rooted to the spot doing nothing (although he does look a bit more with it than the last time I saw the scream). Plus the other guitarist (not the longhaired one) seemed to be dressed as the man from del monte.... But they were amazing indeed. Played 3 new songs I think, first two were straight up rock songs (similar vein to accelerator), the thrid one was a more dancey one, and sounded great.

Oh and Nick Cave did play - he was brilliant too, although I missed the start of his set due to a taxi malfunction. His voice is so powerful, and his presence so massive it's almost embarrassing. The crowd was packed but not sold out, I noticed that there wasn't much crowd noise - does the noise just die because it's such a big venue?

Sorry if I didn't concentrate too much on Spz, but it was yer standard great performance, no alarms, no surprises. Plus I didn't see Steve Mason - would be interested to hear what he was like.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Steve Mason did a four song acoustic set, the first three songs had Les Bell (Beta Band cohort) on guitar and included Dr Baker, which is my missus' favourite, and he took the guitar himself for a wonderful version of Dry the Rain (my favourite) which was worth the admission by itself. Because it was quite quiet at that point we got right down the front in front of him too.

Nick Cave was the highlight for me, without a doubt though. He only had a stripped down band of himself, drums, bass and the amazing Warren Ellis on violin doubling up as a makeshift electric guitar, but they made up for short numbers by putting in the most full-on performance I've seen from Cave (and that's saying something).

Spiritualized were exactly as described by Uncle Karl, but that's still plenty good enough for me.

Primal Scream for me were hugely disappointing - sounded really one dimensional after Spiritualized (and their sound mix was shit I thought). We left after about five or six songs. Maybe it was just a band too far, also I'm not used to seeing anyone follow Spiritualized... :wink:
swill this do?

Post by swill this do? »

runcible wrote:I'm with clewsr here. Its so easy for someone to write a one-sided history as Mudskipper has done.
Even easier to cut-and-paste from one of them there rightwing blog sites, which is what I suspect he ACTUALLY did.

"Hey, kid, ever try breathing Oxygen?"
Muddy Mudskipper - The Ren & Stimpy Show
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Nick Cave was great, I'll definitely go and see him in November. I also left early, because the scream were getting boring. It seems to me that they've become very one-dimensional. Pity we didn't get a greatest hits, beacause the Screamadelica-era gig I saw at the Waterfront is one of my all-time top-five gigs. SPZ were pretty good, I'd have preferred another song to the wig-out at the end though...Roll on next may and that festival thing!

Post by Guest »

Concur with above write-ups. Spiritualized on good (but predictable) form. They hit it right from the start these days unlike 2/3 years ago where it took an hour or so to wake themselves up.

Primal Scream started off powerfully but the set dragged and slumped. Left about 10 mins early. Is it just me or do the hi-energy drum machine ones sound weedy and lifeless.

PS - the sound sucked for both Nick Cave and Primal Scream. Couldn;y hear any piano which he was hammering or much Shields guitar.

Good night though
thereare2colors

Post by thereare2colors »

I really enjoyed the show, or at least the first three acts. As others have said, the Primals sound was shite and they got quite boring. I waited afterwards for autographs because I didn't have a bus back til 845 the next morning. I hung around til about five (show ended at two) and met and got autographs from several of the Primals and from the guys in Nick's band. I missed Jason, which was dissapointing, and at about five or five thirty the singer from the Primals came out, and when I tried to ask for an autograph, he started screaming at me and told me to "keep away from him". I realize that it's not a band's duty to be good to fans, but it was a really sour experiance for me considering how long I had waited (and it was raining by then).
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

It's pretty hard to add to the above reviews, I feel the same way about it as the previous posters.

I'm a huge Nick Cave fan, so I was pretty excited about him being on the same bill as Spz. I was disgusted at the sound during all three acts, Nick was pounding that piano without us being able to hear it. BA just sucks.
I was pleased they played 'older' stuff too, like Red right Hand, Weeping song, Henry Lee. To me it was the performance of the night and should have been the headline. My only critisism is that I missed the electric guitars (and I miss Blixa too, but for other reasons!). Warren Ellis is great, but some of the older guitar lines don't do it for me when played on violin.
Roll on November!

Spz were great too. As everyone's said, the set list was bog standard and for me it was way too short. Shurely there would have been enough time for a longer set from them? The sound wasn't right for them either. Jason was actually a bit too loud, which I didn't mind 'cause I could really hear what he was doing. He was very energetic and into it, and in my opinion seemed to stand out more than usual from the rest of the band.

The Screams, What can I say? I found them entertaining, but musically they didn't do anything for me. Them and their songs weren't up to scratch when compared to the rest of the line up. It felt empty to me.
I think I spent the entire gig staring at Kevin Shields, who wasn't doing much-not that I could actually hear his guitar at all anyway.
Still, he was a pleasant distraction. :)

Shit, having just read what I wrote, it all sounds like a bit of a moan. Didn't meant to just focus on the negatives. I actually had a fantastic night! Great music, mates and wastedness!!!

Sunny
bob_ferris
New user

Post by bob_ferris »

i thought:
- steve mason was brilliant, especially Dry The Rain. was right at the front too
- Nick Cave was ok even though i didnt know any of the songs and the sound was a bit shit. but i was at the side of the stage so might have been better in the middle
- Spiritualized were excellent. Should have played Shine a Light though. only problem was the annoying man next to me who kept talking and then said to me "who is this?"..."they are really boring arent they"...idiot!
- Primal Scream...the sound was just a noise. but i'd say (unlike a poster earlier) that the electro songs came off much better (i.e. Kowalski, Swastikka Eyes, Kill All Hippies...). one of my favourite songs Burning Wheel was almost unrecognisable until it got about 1 minute in. normally it would be one of their most distinctive intros. think they got the sound levels totally wrong. and mani seemed pissed off with his bass / amps all the way through
well worth the money though

Post by Guest »

great gig -

a treat to see Nick Cave - and as the crowd were so happy and excited I managed to get all the way to the front to get a photo of him. will post photos on when I've got a mo.

oh come on NICK CAVE ! isn't life great eh

SPZ were great and well worth the £190 it cost to get me and ben down from Hudds, tickets, and pink polka dot ribbons for my hair. thanks Jase.
nice hair cut btw

Primal Scream, great but as I didn't know the songs really I headed off after about 20 mins felt like I'd seen them - and did enjoy them.
pleased to meet Jasonsmith (of message board fame) - always good to see my discription of myself (blonde platts in) works :wink:

nice to meet Bonehead - (although you should stick to what you know best and I'll stick to taking photos - haha) Sadie and Katie you were so pretty and a delight to meet
Alex and Gail - a pleasure good luck with the move x
and Shaun always good to see you

Bonehead said he loves Gateshead and hopes to go soon, when asked "are you playing that gig next year?" so read into that what you will

Love Elspeth
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Got back from London last night and after some well deserved sleep I have to say that was easily the best gig I've been to.

Although the sound could have been a lot better, The Scream were fuckin brilliant. They know how to start a party. Danced my socks off, and so did a few thousand others by the looks of all those hands in the air. Movin On Up was pretty special.

Lord Let It Rain on Me worked really well live I tought. It's never really done it for me on AG but I think I get it now. As someone else on here said, Jason's vocals were very loud. Pity the rest of the band weren't as loud, as it would have been spot on. Smiles/Thing'll Never.... noisefest was amazing at the end!

Elspeth, what did you think of The New Dome Hotel? Was well handy wasn't it?
felt10
New user

next ?

Post by felt10 »

I'd like to see either an "UNPLUGGED" spz set as I believe it would be a great new way to hear the songs and heard/seen by a much wider audience as a lot of folks are kept away by some of the sonics that are draped over great modern day songs of love and love lost .

Also a duffy/jason colabiration, where duffy adds his 4th dimensional genius to spz songs....any thoughts on this ? which songs do you think would work ?
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

I saw a more than one poster there stating the gig was being filmed. Does anyone know why or what for???
Twud make a f**king great DVD. Bar the terrible sound while Nick Cave was playing...tut tut to the sound engineers

Anyway...the gig was HUGELY ENTERTAINING. One for the books 8)
a beautiful noise
Known user

seeing spiritualized stripped down to the bone was definetely mind blowing. if you missed it the instores from the last tour, you might have missed it for good.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s i am still holding my breath for the footage from the instore in san diego.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Hedspace wrote:I saw a more than one poster there stating the gig was being filmed.
So, did anyone see any cameras?
or perhaps Winterbottom was making "Nine Songs 2".
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

there was definitely a couple of cameras - a proper one and a handheld. to be honest, i think it's more likely to end up on promotional videos for hoping, a dvd'd have to be pro-shot i imagine.
Elsp

Hotel

Post by Elsp »

Fuzzhead - thank-you yes it was "magnolia heaven" clean enough and the TV worked so :lol:

Jason Smith said his room had rat poison under his sink - ugh, but that at least it was still there in the morning !

Fuzzhead - have you a hair style that discribes your name ? were you sat by the window eating your breakfast ?
It was a funny brekkie with obviously most people hung over and so not a lot of talking going on.

I was wearing the blue buzzcocks T-Shirt and was also rather the worse for wear.

but thanks for the tip - shall look to you for future hotel recommendations.

Els x
[/img]