Neil Young in Hyde Park

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

simonkeeping
Known user

Neil Young in Hyde Park

Post by simonkeeping »

Anyone from here go? I went along and though he played a blinder. First time Ive seen him and definatley won't be the last. Was an amazing gig! And a great day in the sun too. When you think how old the guy is he's still making some brutal noises with that guitar.
nickh
Known user

Re: Neil Young in Hyde Park

Post by nickh »

I saw the first three or four songs at Glastonbury on Friday night, even sat way back in the Pyramid stage he was incredibly loud. Not really my cup of tea so moved to a different stage although I spoke to a couple of people the following day who said he was amazing.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, I went too. Absolutely blinding performance by Young and, although I don't particularly like the man, it was even nice to see Macca come on at the end to join in with A Day In The Life. Young seemed to be really enjoying himself and even if classics of the calibre of Cortez the Killer, Like A Hurricance, Tonights the Night and Powderfinger weren't played, the fantastic versions of Down By the River, Hey Hey My My and Rockin' in the Free World were simply astounding. Great day out. Plus Seasick Steve and Fleet Foxes were blinding too. Haven't seen much footage of him at Glasto yet....came home late from the pub on Friday night hoping to see him only to see endless footage of Bloc Party who were woeful.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Ads wrote:....came home late from the pub on Friday night hoping to see him only to see endless footage of Bloc Party who were woeful.
Bloc Party were fantastic!! I guess you had to be there. :D
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

nickh wrote:
Bloc Party were fantastic!! I guess you had to be there. :D
I'll second that from an armchair point of view.

They aren't everybodys cup of cha but they never fail to interest me with each new album.
Glad they belted out "waitin' for the 7.18" and furthermore thought Friendly Fires put on a show

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote: and furthermore thought Friendly Fires put on a show
:shock: I thought they were Godawful muck.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

'Down by the River' was just off the scale The solo in the middle went on so long I forgot what song he was playing (but in a good way), and when it came back into the verse it was just:::WOW::: words fail me.

I read that Bloc Party tried to get the audience to drown out Neil Young when they played. I'd like to see them try...
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

sunray wrote:
Stuart X.Hunter wrote: and furthermore thought Friendly Fires put on a show
:shock: I thought they were Godawful muck.
Strangely, the majority of bands I watched (mainly friday night) were appealing to me; Little Boots, Friendly Fires, Ting Tings, Doves, Bloc Party, Lily Allen, Fleet Foxes... thought they all did a sterling job.

Enjoyed Friendly Fires energy (and believe in a pop format/similar to Bloc Party are very interesting) but thought they finished on the wrong song...Fleet Foxes surprisingly carried off the harmonies in a live setting. Little Boots were cute. The Ting Tings can make a racket (plus the singer is pleasing on the eye), Doves almost nearly managed to crack a smile (they should've apologised for the drummer singing though) and Lily Allen was just as expected; nips n all!

All in all very good. Didn't bother with anybody on the other two days though as it all looked a bit dull.
Glasto still needs to do a bit of work on their East/West Dance line ups.
Shoulders back, smash it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

From what I saw on telly, I thought Neil Young was incredible at Glastonbury. I saw him last year and it bought back all the memories- during A Day In The Life I virtually had an out of body experience.

Doves were brilliant. The Specials and Crosby Stills & Nash were pretty good for old dudes who apparantly hate each other. Apart from that not much was tickling me fancy. Even though I love the album thought Fleet Foxes were a bit flat and certainly not suited to playing that big stage. All the rest of the shower seemed like your bog standard white boy indie- chugging bar chords, big choruses, whatever.

Little Boots is ridiculously pretty.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

amazing
'words' was tremendous
and macca in stellas jeans!!
sfa and the fanclub in clapham were great too
assoc.
Known user