Soulsavers/Mark Lanegan

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

spzretent
Site Admin

Soulsavers/Mark Lanegan

Post by spzretent »

3:30 am Sunday and I just got back home from seeing Soulsavers and Mark Lanegan in Cleveland. What a powerful presence Mark Lanegan is. And that voice! I had seen him several times with Screaming Trees but he just got lost in that maelstrom and largesse that were the Conner brothers.
This was different. I'm still trying to figure out how a duo that were known in "downtempo" circles hooked this up. It was very much like a Mark Lanegan show with Soulsavers as his band.
Interestingly I bought a live CD they were selling at the show from the Los Angeles show. He/they cover Feel So Good. It is fantastic.
Sad that there were only about 100 people there. And a note to the mulleted metal douchebag and his metal finger thrusting girlfriend about 3 rows from the stage...that wasn't your personal show. There were a lot of other people who paid to see a show. Not your kumbaya swinging arms or metal fingers. I'm pretty sure he doesn't post here. I just had to get that off my chest.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Soulsavers/Mark Lanegan

Post by runcible »

That sounds really interesting. I am really into the new album - so many styles and every track is good. Lanegan's voice is still as interesting as ever. I saw him with the Trees a couple of times and think he was perfect for them - I don't think he got lost really as he was an immense physical presence as well as having the lungs to make himself heard. The Trees remain one of the rock's most underrated bands.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I think he will go down as a true classic voice when all is said and done. I walked up to him while the opening band were on and I said I am so happy to see you here. I have bought tix a few times and the shows were cancelled. I told him I drove from Detroit and was really excited. Then I said I am _ _ years old, listen to me. I sound like a little kid. He laughed and thanked me.
The show was truly more about him than the Soulsavers though all the songs were from the last 2 records. Without his presence the show wouldn't have been booked.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spaced
Known user

Post by spaced »

Playing London again 11th December at the electric ball room, highly recommended!
blund
New user

Post by blund »

Soulsavers are opening for Depeche Mode from end of october until end of the year. Potential catastrophy. Like when Spiritualized opened for 7-8 gigs on the Devotional Tour in '93...
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Also at Nottingham Rescue Rooms on December 17th, will Mark Lanegan be with them on all dates?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

blund wrote:Soulsavers are opening for Depeche Mode from end of october until end of the year. Potential catastrophy. Like when Spiritualized opened for 7-8 gigs on the Devotional Tour in '93...
Yep ,Soulsavers playing to a half empty/disinterested Glasgow SECC doesn`t sound ideal.
ComeDownEasy
Known user

Post by ComeDownEasy »

Wait? Spiritualized opened for Depeche Mode on the Devotional Tour???????

Oddly, my two favorite bands ever are Spiritualized & Depeche.....

...and Soulsavers is alright! (Would've liked more J vocals though....it was like a nonexistent sample, practically)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Been listening to this solid for 2 days now... HOW BLOODY GOOD IS THIS RECORD!?!?!?!?! :shock:

Feeling less than great this last week and to just switch off from the real world for a while and let this beautiful piece of music just take me off away from my worries and stresses... just what i've been needing! I was putting a new compilation together recently which i was lost in for a while, but this has melted into my head and is just so what i need just now, its amazing.

8)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Laz I dig your enthusiasm!

It's great though isn't it.
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Can I just add another big thumbs up ,a great record which I was giving a spin this afternoon while the wife and kids were out,some fantastic guitar .
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just got nack from my local record store and picked this up based on what I've read so far on here. Only half way through and I'm loving it. A truely beautiful album.

Also picked up Clouds Taste Metallic by the Flaming Lips after reading about it in the thread in the Music section so got that to look forward to aswell. This board really is the nuts when it comes to recommendations.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Ads wrote:This board really is the nuts when it comes to recommendations.
I'm in agreement. This is the only board where I take all recommendations seriously.
I too got into Soulsavers via this forum. :)

Clouds Taste Metallic is fantastic by the way. Probably my fave Lips album.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Absolutely loving this album, athough I keep thinking he sounds very similar to Chris Rea?! And I can't actually hear Jason's vocals on the track he's credited on.

Still got the delights of Clouds Taste Metallic in store.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

spzretent wrote:Interestingly I bought a live CD they were selling at the show from the Los Angeles show. He/they cover Feel So Good. It is fantastic.
Like this you mean?:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8XSVoMYEzQ

I'm liking this album more and more. Some Misunderstanding is one of the best songs I've heard in years.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

No offence, but sounds like how Spiritualized would cover it, but with worse instrumentals.
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

Is anyone else going to the Electric Ballroom gig in December? I can't wait. December is shaping up to be a fantastic month for gigs.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm interested in going to this. Definately album of the year for me at the moment. Anyone else thinking of going? I own't go on about Top Gear, honest!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Still getting regular spins here too... 8)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Yesterday I gave this album [Broken] yet another chance to impress. There should be so much about this album I know I could enjoy but after the first three tracks (of which two are great and I could listen to a full album filled with music like the opening track,) it just becomes quite boring. Some Misunderstanding is alright and that song suits his voice yet it does get a little bit REO Speedwagon in parts. There's another that I can't quite put my finger on with a part that sounds like something I've heard in a film and I can't stop thinking of Lost Boys for some odd reason. And then there's a nice piece towards the end that morphs into a cheesy Vanessa May style Wish You Were Here [the travel program] sound-over.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It took me a few listens but I really love Broken now. Lanegan's voice, caked in nictotine and late-night drinking, sounds better than ever and I love the way the whole thing unfolds. There's so much variety here.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

absolutely sublime last night and the set included a fantastic version of Feel So Good!
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

It was indeed a great gig. Lanegan's voice is immense. It seemed like the band were all really enjoying themselves, that was nice to see. They played Silent Night as an encore. Sound familiar?

Nick McCabe played on a couple of songs too. On a related note, the support band Exit Calm are well worth checking out for anyone who yearns for Storm in Heaven era Verve. I think I'll be checking them out again.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Very frustrating. No northern gigs! I would love to see these guys.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A mate of mine bought Broken a month ago with great excitement, later on that day i got a text telling me it was shite. He listened a few more times coming to the same conclusion on each occasion. Last night he played it for me and his judgement is not far off. While i wouldn't say it was shite, it's not very good. I am amazed that it got such great press reviews let alone so many here giving it such high praise. The Palace cover sounds sentimental rather than broken and fucked like the original,nor could i hear Jason's vocal contribution at all on his track. Some awful guitar all over the album too. A big disappointment all in all.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

:shock:

A little of each to their own here I think! I love it and I have played to many people who feel the same.

Personal opinion, no?

Go on - ask me what I think of the Primal Scream catalogue... Everyone else here seems to love it.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

runcible wrote::shock:

A little of each to their own here I think! I love it and I have played to many people who feel the same.

Personal opinion, no?

Go on - ask me what I think of the Primal Scream catalogue... Everyone else here seems to love it.
No, not everyone on here runcible. I agree with sunray, you know what I think of Broken.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shaun wrote:
runcible wrote::shock:

Personal opinion, no?

No, not everyone on here runcible. I agree with sunray, you know what I think of Broken.
I'm talking about friends who have absolutely loved Broken, and my other half adores it too. Of course people vary otherwise we'd all be listening to chart music. That's what I mean about personal opinion. Sunray is someone who's musical tastes I tend to tune into with and who's opinion I respect a great deal. I'll stick my neck out and say I don't get the point of saying how bad you think something is. Otherwise every Primal Scream post would involve my opinion - I just stay out of it these days.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

And I would agree with you on your Scream bashing.
runcible wrote: I'll stick my neck out and say I don't get the point of saying how bad you think something is.
Because it helps support and engage popular discussions and lively debates, the election campaign shown that. And besides, you could argue the same point on the flipside. Personally speaking, I'm turned away from some threads because of all the gush.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I personally (and that's the key word :!: ) love both the albums but am I the only one on here who thinks 'It's not how...' is better than 'Broken' :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shaun wrote:
runcible wrote: I'll stick my neck out and say I don't get the point of saying how bad you think something is.
Because it helps support and engage popular discussions and lively debates, the election campaign shown that. And besides, you could argue the same point on the flipside. Personally speaking, I'm turned away from some threads because of all the gush.
Well I can't really agree. If every time a band someone liked had people saying 'I think they are rubbish' I'm unsure why they bother unless it's related - 'love the 1st 3 albums but hate the new one by so-and-so' etc.

As for the election I deliberately stayed out of the discussion in general. It was too much 'anything but Conservative' which I find really dull (I'd better add that I am no Tory by the way just in case someone takes that the wrong way!).
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
Shaun wrote:
Well I can't really agree. If every time a band someone liked had people saying 'I think they are rubbish' I'm unsure why they bother unless it's related - 'love the 1st 3 albums but hate the new one by so-and-so' etc..
I'm with Shaun on this one Runci. You steer clear of Primal Scream threads because you don't like them, i do the same for The Verve, but those two bands have many threads and long histories with forumites so there's no point in antagonising people by making negative comments (perceived or otherwise) in threads regarding those bands, whereas this was just one thread that seemed to develop a focus about a particular album. Myself and my mate had been looking forward to hearing Broken considering who was involved in the record and the favourable response it got all round. Just because most people enjoyed it shouldn't preclude me, or anyone else, from coming on and saying i didn't and was disappointed with it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote: Just because most people enjoyed it shouldn't preclude me, or anyone else, from coming on and saying i didn't and was disappointed with it.
Of course not but I've listened to quite a few things that have been recommended here that have left me scratching my head - Brightback Morning Light, Grails, Godspeed, Gorillaz, Fuck Buttons, Part Chimp - so I've left others to it as the music has failed to reach the expectations I had for it. I didn't post stuff saying how poor any of that stuff was as far as I recall. Now I just tend to leave threads where I dislike the music being discussed. That's all.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
sunray wrote: Just because most people enjoyed it shouldn't preclude me, or anyone else, from coming on and saying i didn't and was disappointed with it.
Of course not but I've listened to quite a few things that have been recommended here that have left me scratching my head - Brightback Morning Light, Grails, Godspeed, Gorillaz, Fuck Buttons, Part Chimp - so I've left others to it as the music has failed to reach the expectations I had for it. I didn't post stuff saying how poor any of that stuff was as far as I recall. Now I just tend to leave threads where I dislike the music being discussed. That's all.
Fair enough, i just felt compelled to comment because i'd been looking forward to said album so much. :arrow:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I think it was the description of the album being simply 'shite' which made me wonder a little. I know you didn't say that and even said you didn't agree with that description. Generally I tend to agree with your tastes as I've said...
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I can understand why sunray didn't like this. I bought it knowing there would be so much about the album I should like but it left me feeling a bit flat. Shame really. Of all the recommendations given out on here, the one that's absolutely hit the spot, is The Heads. But there's also been a few duffers and like sunray said, this thread developed around and towards a particular album. This album [Broken] is some peoples gain and my loss, which on reflection sums up personal opinion. When I eventually get the Magic Lanterns album I'll say much the same if I don't like that, but not just for the sake of it.

EDIT: Sorry I haven't heard the other album that was mentioned so I can't comment on that.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

...I'll throw in that while I like Broken it's not a patch on Lanegan's last solo album (as the Mark Lanegan Band)...the amazing Bubblegum.

Not only Lanegan's high point so far IMO, it's also one of my all time favourite albums ...full-stop. :D

Just superb. Every song is like a different chapter, or short story, and stylistically its all over the shop, but at the bottom it remains this warped, molten take on electric blues. But so much more than that.
sunray wrote:...nor could i hear Jason's vocal contribution at all on his track.
Have you tried listening on speakers? Suddenly both vocals are audible, unlike on headphones for some reason.

I have to admit though, to being somewhat underwhelmed by the track with both Lanegan and Spaceman.

I was very much anticipating it when I heard they were recording a duet, imagining it would sound like space age Lee Hazlewood.

Next time an album maybe fellas? :idea:
O P 8
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

saw mark do a solo acousitc show (well i say solo he had someone from the twilight singers playing guitar for him) recently & it was one of the best gigs i've ever been to. i always enjoy lanegan gigs but this one was extra special & extra brilliant. if that tour is still on & anyone has the chance to catch it, do. the setlist was whiskey heavy & it was amazing.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Field Songs' and 'Whiskey for the Holy Ghost' are both breathtakingly beautiful albums. I love Lanegan's entire solo catalog but these two LP's in particular are fantastic from start to finish.

I missed the Soulsavers when they came through Portland but I've seen Lanegan solo on 'Bubblegum' tour (excellent!) as well as with Isobel Campbell, The Twilight Singers and as The Gutter Twins. The latter three gigs were good but I'm ready for a new Lanegan solo album and tour.