First 5 gigs you saw

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

First 5 gigs you saw

Post by runcible »

Can't remember anyone covering this. We all talk about 'last albums you bought' etc.

So come on - be honest. What were the first 5 gigs you ever saw? I don't count school or college bands, I'm talking proper entry fee concerts.

Obviously I have to go first:
1. Devo, London, Dec 3rd 1978
2. Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Lewisham, Dec 17th 1978
3. Steve Hillage - London, 1979 (not sure of the date - probably spring sometime)
4. Penetration - London, 3rd November 1979
5. Stiff Little Fingers - London, 23rd March 1980

I reckon that's a decent start. My 'Neil from the Young Ones' moment is beautifully presented by the fact that I smoked dope for the first time at the Steve Hillage gig - just how corny is THAT?

Incidentally I can show how sad a music fan I am. I have every gig ticket I ever bought kept in photo albums. And I'm not kidding - right up to date. So it was easy for me to check the details.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ha-ha your old!

xxxshonnxxx
Ian

Post by Ian »

Even though I'm not as old as Runcie (sorry mate!), this is very hard. This thing is, I did a lot of musical things the wrong way around - I hardly went to any gigs at all until I was 21, but then saw loads and loads of cool things that I'm much more proud of. More proud of, that is than most of;

1. Marillion (Circa Misplaced Childhood)
2. Iron Maiden (some time in '86, I think)
3. The Smiths (last ever UK concert, and fist gig I went to with my future wife)
4. U2 (huge Wembley affair circa The Josha Tree)
5. The House Of Love (Destroy The Heart era)

The first two were ones that I was invited to go to by friends, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy them. Dodgy heavy metal teenage years, and all that.

The Smiths were the first really important band in my life, and I'm so glad I got to see them if only once.

U2 were my (future at the time) wife's favourite band, but even she will confess that, in retrospect, this was horrible.

And The House Of Love was the time when it all went on a better course...

Love,

Ian
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Jeez, this is a hard one. I probably do have tickets but nowhere near as organised as you.

BUT I have just found all my old diaries after rooting around for them so here goes:

1- Icicle Works - Liverpool Royal Court Dec 1986
2- .. and again in March 87 at Liverpool Uni (ahem)
3- Wedding Present + Brilliant Corners at Liverpool Uni May 87
4- Reading Festival Aug 87 (The Mission, The Fall, The Godfathers, Fields Of The Nephilim, Icicle Works, All About Eve)
5- Wedding Present + Close Lobsters at Liverpool Poly Oct 87

and I'm gonna add a couple more because they were all in the next few days as the gig-going took hold of me and so far it looks like I was only into two bands in my teenage years. So...

6- Godfathers + Melrose (Swedish punks) at Liverpool Uni Oct 87
7- Ramones + Sex Gods at Liverpool Uni Oct 87
8- Soupdragons + The Thanes at Liverpool Poly Oct 87
9- Pop Will Eat Itself + The Membranes at Liverpool Uni, Nov 87

Great thread Runcible. Got the nostalgia vibe going as I flicked through those old diaries. Seemed to spend most of my time and money in those days playing football or travelling around the country watching Chester play. I can almost pinpoint the moment when music took control.
Ian

Post by Ian »

After nostalgic converstaions with the wife, I have to confess that The House Of Love get bumped off the first five list in "favour" of... Suzanne Vega.

Love,

Ian
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Not sure my addled brain can remember any particular times and dates but 5 gigs stay in my mind for bizarre reasons:

1) Pooh Sticks at ULU - For a great gig and for a wonderfully wasted Bobby Gillespie giving my friend a love-bite infront of his present girlfriend as a 'sexy' alternative to a requested autograph....
2) Pixies/Throwing Muses at the Mean Fiddler - For a brief while it was very easy to win tickets on Gary Crowley's 'Cowboy and Indies' Radio London show. This gig was truely incendiary and filled with such rock n roll passion and excitement that resulted in my same friend having the misfortune to puke on John Peel's shoes....
3) Mega City 4 at the Bull & Gate - Where after a truely terrible gig we drank cider with Steve Lamacq and he pronounced them the future of rock n roll!!!!
4) Camden Dingwalls '?' anniversary gig - With Bobby G being wonderfully wasted(again) and falling off stage mid-set into the crowd. The same night i bizarrely spent snogging the lead singer of the Darling Buds.....
5) That Petrol Emotion at the Mean Fiddler - With an half hour intro by Ken Livingstone on the problems in Ireland to a fucked up crowd unable to understand or tolerate anything politically motivated....
Nostalgia is evil so rock on....
Ian

Post by Ian »

That's cheating! I'm sure we could all come up with five gigs that make us look a lot cooler than the first five.

Love,

Ian
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I prefer 'experienced' to old, thank you. But I'm excited by the initial replies.

I also saw Marillion - more than once! I was trying to capture that Peter Gabriel Genesis era I guess (and failing miserably).
And I saw U2 - Dec 6th 1982 and they were amazing. Saw 'em again March 22nd 1983 and they were horrible.
Saw a Soupdragons 'baggy' gig on August 5th 1990. Er... no. Not good.
Saw The Membranes supporting Loop Friday 13th May 1988 (oh my GOD what a night that was - way too much to report) - fab. The bonkers looking but apparently mild Gary who ran the Wiiija label was on stage dancing with them. (miniscule observation mement here).
Saw Pop Will Eat Itself July 23rd 1988 and they were very boring.

There's a rustle as I close album number 2 (of I think 6).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Oh shit! Here goes:

Deep Purple w/ZZ Top opening Cobo Arena 6/11/73

Led Zeppelin- Houses Of The Holy tour Cobo Arena 7/12/73. i managed not to get busted this time.

Chicago- yes that Chicago. Pine Knob(fitting name) Summer 1974. I got busted smoking pot by my aunt and uncle. And I couldn't stop laughing the whole time.

Elton John- Detroit Olympia 11/13/74. Rough night for a 15 year old.

Bob Seger, Freddie King, Flo & Eddie & The Heavy Metal Kids- Detroit Palace 4/19/75. All I remember about this show was someone fell 3 floors down an elevator shaft.

i had to go back through my ticket stubs to check which were the first 5 shows.
Sad that i still have them :oops:

But because all of you will no doubt anoint me the board geezer I will give you my top 5 shows ever.

Verve- The Reptile House Grand Rapids Mich (Halloween) Storm in Heaven Tour. I do belive I was levitiating during this show.

Rolling Stones- Double Door Chicago.
I dont care how shitty they may be now. They are a damn good bar band.

Spiritualized- St Andrews Hall Shelter 2nd show Sept 1995. A little levitaition going on here too.

Flaming Lips- St Andrews Hall Transmissions Tour complete w/XMas lights.

Mercury Rev Clapham Grand. Double whammy whoa! This show was in quad. With an all star cast too!

I feel better knowing at least i never saw Marillion. :lol:
Last edited by spzretent on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
bmmello
New user

Post by bmmello »

Haven't been to many gigs, not many good things come to Brazil.

1. REM - Rock in Rio - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Jan 2001
2. The Rapture/White Stripes - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Nov 2003 (not very fun)
3. Pixies - Curitiba, Brazil May 2004
4. Spiritualized - Royal Festival Hall - London, UK Aug 2004

Upcoming:
5. Kraftwerk - São Paulo/Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Nov 2004
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:
But because all of you will no doubt anoint me the board geezer I will give you my top 5 shows ever.

Mercury Rev Clapham Grand. Double whammy whoa! This show was in quad. With an all star cast too!

I feel better knowing at least i never saw Marillion. :lol:
I was also at that Mercury Rev gig and I didn't know spzretent at the time. It was indeed astonishing and featured what a few of us now refer to as 'the Something for Joey' moment, where the volume and overall intensity took the place over like a massive tidal wave during the chorus. I later met the sound guy responsible who admitted the Clapham gig was very special and he was very proud of what he achieved.

Marillion? Chicago? Not sure who's more embarrassed!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Hello All,

First post since a long break. I can't remember the specific dates at all, and not sure if I can even fully remember the first five, but here goes.

AC/DC - Birmingham NEC - 1990 / 1991?
Donington Monsters of Rock with AC/DC and flying bottles of piss 1991?
Smashing Pumpkins - Birmingham Edwards No.8 1991? [Great Gig one, of their first in the UK i think, back when they were good]

The order gets a bit dubious here:

Suede - Coventry universtiy 1992 perhaps.
Spiritualized - To be honest I can't really remember my first spz gig, I think it was probably in Milton Keynes, sometime in 1992, but can't be sure. I'm not even sure they should be definately in a first five gigs list, but I feel like they should be there.

I'm sure I've got a box full of old gig tickets and flyers kicking around somewhere, so maybe I'll go home tonight and see if I can find a more precise list....a nice trip down memory lane none the less.
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

Nik Kershaw - Leicester De Montfort Hall
Bruce Springsteen - Villa Park
Carter USM - Leicester De Montfort Hall
Faith No More - The NEC
Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Leicester De Montfort Hall

Bands used to come and play in Leicester, then they did up one venue, knocked down another, and now all we get is Lulu and Paul McKenna.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

the rockingbirds / pop will eat itself : cardiff bay dock (summer 1992)

pop will eat itself : leicester demontfort hall : 1992

neds atomic dustbin : leicester demontfort hall : 1992

spiritualized : coventry tic toc : 1993

spiritualized : leicester uni university : 1993

spiritualized : demontfort uni with mercury rev : 1993

dont be so harsh : franzferdinand are playing the hall soon.....good old leicester.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Ah, the Rockingbirds. There was a band that didn't get the success they deserved.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:
Marillion? Chicago? Not sure who's more embarrassed!
It was 30 years ago and there wasn't much choice. And I only went the once. We all have our crosses to bear.
Last edited by spzretent on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I'm so jealous of all you good people remembering your first five gigs. I've been trying very hard, but can only remember my first one which was Blondie.

Some time later I recall seeing MBV, Deep Purple, Pop Will Eat Itself, Marillion (yeah, me too), The Ramones and The Cramps, but there's at least a 5-7 year gap there! Whatever happened to my rock'n'roll?! :lol: I guess drugs happend to my brain...
spacemanrich
Known user

First 5 concerts

Post by spacemanrich »

Great post, Runcible. Have to dig deep into the memory bank for this one, hopefully it's in chronical order :

1) U2 - (1987) brief U.S. Tour to promote the Joshua Tree (indoor arenas). Tix ONLY thru lottery system.

2) Gene Loves Jezebel, Echo and the Bunnymen and New Order (1987) - fantastic ! Cut school w/ my brother, my mate and his girlfriend. Spent the entire day roaming Berkeley!

3) The Cure (1987) Kiss Kiss Kiss Me Tour.

4) The Godfathers w/ Love and Rockets, I would assume to promote the Earth, Sun, Moon Tour (1988?)

5) can't really remember the 5th one ? I'll have to say maybe the 2nd leg of the U2 Tour (Oakland Coliseum - outdoor arena). First and last outdoor concert that I will ever see ! Horrible, horrible experience - too many people and one can't see the musicians on stage.
Neil
Known user

Post by Neil »

I'm in the same situtaion I've sat here trying to remember the first 5 gigs all day, (well it beats working), and ended up getting as far as the first 1 which was the Boo Radleys at Colchester Arts Centre in about '90 or 91 I think it was during the tour for Everythings Alright Forever.

First Spz gig was at Norwich UEA in about 92
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

By tickets I've still got:

1) Afrika Bambaataa & His Soulsonic Force - Hammersmith Palais 1984
2) U2 - Wembley Stadium 1987
3) Genesis - Wembley Stadium 1987
4) Swans - Town & Country - 1987
5) INXS - Hammesrsmith Odeon 1987

Swans is still the loudest gig I've ever been too....
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

stiff little fingers - newcastle 1982/3 ?

the clash - newcastle 1982/3 ? - (combat rock tour)

the jam - newcastle (date unsure)

after that i got the live music bug and i started to go to so many gigs, i can't remember what was next.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

runcible wrote: Saw a Soupdragons 'baggy' gig on August 5th 1990. Er... no. Not good.

I saw the Soup Dragons in August 1990. In Peterborough, at the Cresset Theatre (if you look in the dictionary, under "God forsaken"). It was around my birthday, which is on 4th August, but I can't remember if it was exactly then or not.

I actually remember a really good night...we were all drunk and had whistles, and we were dancing, and young, and happy...I heard that the tour had been booked before "I'm Free" was a hit, so consequently all the dates were rammed with pop fans, meaning it was all dancing young and happy. These are good things.

I must say, I'm Free was the only Soup Dragons record I own/owned/knew/had heard of...so...

The only other memorable thing was a girl there called Tamara (!) who used to hang around sometimes... ahh well. :oops:

Tell me you were there, Runc.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Ahh memories - what a great thread!

I was lucky (?) enough to be born and bred in Rugby, so my first ever gig was Spacemen 3. It's nearly 20 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I had pretty boring musical tastes, and was just discovering the joys of underage drinking, when I stumped up the 2 quid or whatever to go into the 'back room' of the Blitz... straight into O.D. Catastrophe. The whole experience blew me away, and I ain't had nothin' to take my mind, as it were. Anyway, enough rambling, I'm guessing the gigs were...

Spacemen 3 The Blitz, Rugby 1986

Sadly, didn't go to 'Christamas on Mars', which happened just before a similar event which I did go to...

'Easter Everywhere' (Feat S3, Darkside, Loop, Tell Tale Hearts (with Mark Refoy) and loads of other bands) The Benn Hall, Rugby (Easter '86 I think, maybe '87)

Spacemen 3/The Shamen The Peacock, Rugby 1986

Eurythmics NEC 1986

Depeche Mode NEC 1987

Spacemen 3 Roadmenders, Northampton 1987 (back on the straight and narrow)

They really were the days...

Pete
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

yeah great thread!

here goes..all 1990-1991

the charlatans - 'indian rope' time - sweaty!

teenage fanclub - great band, but they were terrible that night...the drummer actually came on the mic at the end saying 'if you wait at the front door afterwards, i'll help you try and get your money back' and the guitarist dropped his guitar twice during the gig...shambolic.

primal scream - newcastle mayfair...unbelievable. the loudest thing i'd ever heard and the most excited atmosphere ever - pure energy and a pivotal moment in my life, serious.

james - sit down first time round - everyone did indeed, sit down.

happy mondays - big arena type gig - amazing but...weird. funny, tense atmosphere - or was that just my young twisted mind?

reads like the 'book-of-baggy-bands' doesnt it! :D
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Underscore, was that Charlatans gig the one at the Boston Arms in Tufnell Park (thier first ever London show)?

If it was, I was there too....one of the 400 lucky punters who had tickets!
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

nah, 'fraid not, though it bet that was a hoot!

it was at newcastle uni
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

CAnt really remember first 5 but The 1st ever was definately the Australian Doors at the Barrowlands when I was 14
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
B-Z-A in the past

Post by B-Z-A in the past »

:shock:

Ha ha...Orbital the SECOND ever gig I saw was a Nirvana Tribute Band.

I'd forgotten until now.

They were Australian, but at least they looked like Nirvana.

Pissed on snakebite...

from the other side of the room.... :oops:

My first gig was aged 18 - SUEDE at Aberdeen Music hall 1996.

I was very much blown away - by the volume if nothing else.

AND! Real rock starssss!

I can't remember the order really but in the next 6-8 months I saw

DEATH IN VEGAS - BLACK STAR LINER : Aberdeen Union. Winter 97?
Big bass for my fresh ears. BSL were fucking GREAT, and remember DIV kicking into 'Dirt'...BAAAAM!
SPIRITUALIZED - October 97- Aberdeen Music Hall- Legendary gig. Some people i know totally hated it...heavy, heavy, heavy electricty.
ANDREW WEATHERALL - Jan 1998 - This counts as a gig, this was insane.
BETA BAND - Lemon Tree. sometime in 1998. Trees and trophies...Patty patty sounds
THE WHO - Tribute. Shit - they didn't play 'Whiskie Man'. And Moon looked like Geoff Capes

and a few local battles-of-the-bands...they all sounded like Oasis back then.
Now they would sound more like Frank Fernandez.
I need to get out more.

I said it.

I saw something like three 'proper' gigs last year :evil:
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

Spiby wrote:Ahh memories - what a great thread!

aaaahhh....the revolving record sign.....like a large 12" that span

the shamen, in the peacock......honestly............the one leading down the hill towards avon mill.....that is bizarre.

Pete
roger plywood
Known user

Post by roger plywood »

first gig i attended went by the name of "the big day" or something. it took place on glasgow green, summer 1990.

i don't remember much except loads of people throwing bottles of pish at sheena easton, which can't be a bad thing.

rock 'n roll.
a beautiful noise
Known user

errrrr, i have spent a few days trying to piece together my past. too much dope smoking. i know what my first was, but the rest are a bit fuzzy, here goes nothing.

1. the beach boys- being raised in southern california, the beach boys always played after the baseball game on the 4th of july or labour day, so my parents would always drag us down to see it.

2. the violent femmes - in the parking lot of the local radio station

3. the cure- had to have been the kiss me tour.

i will have to dig out the box of concert stubs. ohh shit, thats right, i saw billy idol, the cult and opening was guns & roses. ha-ha. another cross to bear.

xxxshonnxxx
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I definitely remember my first two:

1. Radiohead/Belly @ The Riviera, Chicago ~ approx. October of '93
2. Swervedriver/Medicine @ Cabaret Metro, Chicago ~ Mezcal Head era
***I've had tinnitus ever since this gig ... damn.
These might or might not be chronologically correct, but they were gigs I attended:
3. Lollapalooza w/Dinosaur Jr. (only band there I really wanted to see)
4. Spiritualized w/Siouxie & The Banshees @ The Riv ~ Pure Phase era

I think my tickets stubs are still stored away somewhere at my parents' house. I'll have to dig them out next time I go back there.
a beautiful noise
Known user

hey warmth, what lollapalooza had dino jr? i went to the first one in the summer of '91. it had siouxsie, rollins, nin, living colour, body count with ice t, and janes addiction. it was my first and only "festival". i had a blast actually. COMPLETELY SOBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxshonnxxx
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

a beautiful noise wrote:hey warmth, what lollapalooza had dino jr? i went to the first one in the summer of '91. it had siouxsie, rollins, nin, living colour, body count with ice t, and janes addiction. it was my first and only "festival". i had a blast actually. COMPLETELY SOBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxshonnxxx
Hey Shonn,
The one you were at was the first one ... '91. The one with Dinosaur Jr. was '93. Overall it sucked. Dinosaur Jr. was the only good band ... the rest: Arrested Development, Fishbone, RATM, Front 242, Alice In Chains. Geez ... horrible. I guess I just wanted to experience it, as it was my first festival. My second festival wasn't until the summer of '98 at T In The Park, Scotland ... this one fucking ruled ... SFA, Spiritualized, Arab Strap.
a beautiful noise
Known user

ohhhh you suck, going to T in the Park to see Spiritualized, SFA, and Arab Strap!! "It was the biggest cock you'd ever seen!!"

i have to agree, the only band that was worth it was janes addiction. i must say in retrospect, Body Count probably stole the show.

xxxshonnxxx
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm sure you've been to some pretty good shows/festivals ... let's have it!

"You have no idea where that cock has been."
a beautiful noise
Known user

lets see, gonna jump off topic a bit and go with my five fav shows that i have seen. excluding spiritualized.

1. primal scream - canes bar, 2002 (hung out with bobby and mani for the whole day)
2. mogwai - the scene, sept. 19th, 2003 (absolutely the most powerful show i have seen)
3. suede - back door at san diego state, had to have been around 1993, (its was for the self titled. never really bothered with them after that.)
4. nick cave - solo show at the wiltern 2001 maybe 2000, (he even played a few birthday party tunes)
5. jesus and mary chain - san diego street scene 199?, (hearing "sidewalking" blasting thru the city streets was amazing)

now for an even better list. my top five WORST shows, in any order!

1. new order - 1993, republic tour. $65.00 for a ticket, p.a. kept going out, bernard gave up halfway thru show.
2. badly drawn boy- canes 2002, nothing like watching a guy play with himself for 3 hours.
4.depeche mode- 1990-91, everything pre-recorded, absolutely horrible.
5. a beautiful noise- whistlestop bar, september 3rd 2004- guitar players amp blows out . keyboardist a bit too drunk to remember which song is which. just fucking lovely.

xxxshonnxxx

Post by Guest »

My memory is a little sketchy and i wish i'd kept ALL my tickets, instead of just a few.

I saw Robert Plant sing with a local band (well it was 2 policemen who called themselves 'The Busking Bobbies') in the local shopping centre. Although it was free, money was being raised for charity so i probably made a contribution. I was still at school then so that would of been before 1986.

But my 1st 5 proper paying concerts (other than local bands) was.......

(1) Queen at Wembley Stadium, sometime in July (might of been the 10th) 1986. I'd never been to anything like that in my life before so i made a point of going to the one-off end of tour show when it was announced that they were to play the 2nd concert i went to at.....

(2) Knebworth Park, August 9th 1986 (I think!!) And that was that, the end of Queen on the road. Their last ever public performance. But love them or loathe them, i think that was a pretty good introduction to Live concerts.

(3) Heart. I saw these at the NEC about the time the album called 'Bad Animals' was released. I know it was the 1st time i'd been to the NEC and my only regret is that it wasn't the last. What a horrid shithole that place is.

(4) Things just got better. Pink Floyd at Wembley Stadium, Saturday August 6th 1988. I've still got the ticket for that one. And only £16.00 as well, now that WAS money well spent. This show is up there in my Top Ten list of all time shows (and so does Queen at Wembley.) Dave Gilmour belting out 'Comfortably Numb' is still a sight and sound that was never surpassed at Wembley Stadium, in my opinion.

(5) Michael Jackson at Aintree Racecourse, mid September 1988. During the 'Bad' tour Jacko was at his best. He was a true superstar back then and i'm pleased i got the chance to get to see him when it was actually worth going to see him. And Kim Wilde as support, sporting tight white leggings wasn't bad either.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

[quote="a beautiful noise"]1. the beach boys- being raised in southern california, the beach boys always played after the baseball game on the 4th of july or labour day, so my parents would always drag us down to see it.

hey shonn, how far back are we talking? did you get to see dennis? 'you are so beautiful' in the flesh? i'm a big dennis fan...

and the jesus and mary chain too...i'm gutted that i didnt see them....sigh.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

a beautiful noise wrote:

now for an even better list. my top five WORST shows, in any order!

xxxshonnxxx
Another good thread!

Lets see.

Depeche Mode would have to top my list. Free tickets and I couldn't make it thru the third song. All that bondage gear they wear didn't help matters.

Most New Order shows I saw. Weird because now I have a few live DVDs and they are really good.

Verve- Phoenix Center August 1998(I think). Fucking wretched!

Steely Dan- Pine Knob Detroit-ish. These two assholes apparently hate each and still tour. And it was obvious. Another early exit. I guess the joke was on me for accepting free second row tickets and have to fake illness to get out at intermission.

Suede- St Andrews. Too loud. Too poncey. And they dont have any good songs. And oh those whiny vocals :cry:
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Hahaha roger. A timeless memory.
IF I was there that day I would have gladly thrown a nice big hot bottle of pish at ms Easton. Bellshill tramp
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

andyblacktoo wrote:

the shamen, in the peacock......honestly............the one leading down the hill towards avon mill.....that is bizarre.

Pete
Yep, THE Peacock. S3 played there several times, as have Alphastone. Ironic considering the venue's proximity to the local police station. It's just occurred to me that of course the Benn Hall (home of the drug fuelled Easter Everywhere & Christmas on Mars) is actually next door to the police station. The Peacock gig wouldn't happen now, as they have a device which cuts the electricity when the sound level exceeds a certain dB. Not that long after this gig, I seem to remember The Shamen had a dig at S3 in the NME, saying that bands not adopting synths etc were missing a whole pallette of musical colour.
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

1. simple minds 1989 leeds roundhay park
2. happy mondays 1989 cambridge corn exchange

it goes downhill from there (actually, it isn't that good so far!)

"you said you were careful, you never were with me"
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Spiby wrote: THE Peacock. S3 played there several times, as have Alphastone. Ironic considering the venue's proximity to the local police station. It's just occurred to me that of course the Benn Hall (home of the drug fuelled Easter Everywhere & Christmas on Mars) is actually next door to the police station. The Peacock gig wouldn't happen now, as they have a device which cuts the electricity when the sound level exceeds a certain dB. Not that long after this gig, I seem to remember The Shamen had a dig at S3 in the NME, saying that bands not adopting synths etc were missing a whole pallette of musical colour.
Crickey, I know the one you mean - my Dad used to play pool there on a Friday night - it must have gone down hill since those hacylon days because it was always absolutely dead the times I joined him for a game or two.

Anyway this thread prompted me to dig out my old gig tickets and it brought up a couple of suprises - for instance if you had asked me I'd have sworn Id never seen the Cure or the Verve live, but I the ticket stubs were there along with the rest of them. Scary lack of memory. I'm now trying to list all the gigs I've ever been to - just to prove my memory isn't as bad as it feels. Here's a list of the earliest few, I think its nearly there, other than I'm sure I saw spiritualized at least once in 1992, just can't remember where or when. :?

Also it brought back great memories of seeing spiritualized three times in a week... :P

AC/DC Birmingham NEC 23/04/1991
Ac/DC Monsters of Rock 17/08/1991
Smashing pumpkins and Catherine wheel 11/02/1992 Birmingham Edward No 8
Black Crowes Aston Villa Leisure Centre 26/11/1992
The Cure Birmingham NEC 18/11/92
Boo Radleys Woughton Centre Milton Keynes 6/12/1992
The Sundays Leicester Uni 3/12/1992
Belly + The Cranberries Leicester University 14/02/1993 [Massive Whitey]
Suede Cov Uni 28/02/93
Spiritualized Coventry Tic Toc 31/03/93
The Autereurs Birmingham Edwards No 8 19th May 1993
Airhead Birmingham Edwards No 8 26/04/1993
Verve Birmingham Edwards 26/05/1993
Dodgy Roadmender Northampton 16/06/1993
Glastonbury 25-27 June 1993 [Spritiualized, Verve, Dodgy, Trsansglobal Underground]
Dodgy + Transglobal Underground Worthing Pavillion 18/09/93
Teenage Fanclub Leicester Uni 14/10/93
Spiritualized + Mercury Rev Convetry University 24/10/93
Spiritualized + Mercury Rev Roadmender Northampton 25/10/1993
Spiritualized + Mercury Rev De monfort uni Leicester 28/10/1993
Lemonheads Cive Hall Wolverhmpton 29/10/1993
Pulp Roadmender Northampton 18/11/1993
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Spiby wrote:
andyblacktoo wrote:

Pete
Yep, THE Peacock. S3 played there several times, as have Alphastone. Ironic considering the venue's proximity to the local police station. It's just occurred to me that of course the Benn Hall (home of the drug fuelled Easter Everywhere & Christmas on Mars) is actually next door to the police station. The Peacock gig wouldn't happen now, as they have a device which cuts the electricity when the sound level exceeds a certain dB. Not that long after this gig, I seem to remember The Shamen had a dig at S3 in the NME, saying that bands not adopting synths etc were missing a whole pallette of musical colour.
The Spacemen part of the Spacemen / Shamen gig was a cracker, upstairs at the Peacock is a little bit cramped and unfortunately (for the Shamen) if anyone wanted to get to the toilet they had to walk through the middle of them as they played!

If my memory serves me correctly this was the first time Take Me To The Other Side was heard live (but I stand to be corrected) and it almost took the roof off, happy days.

Post by Guest »

5 Concerts i visited and i can remember:

1. Simple Minds - Real live tour ´89 in cologne
2. Schüttorf Open air with David Bowie, Midnight Oil, New model army and some other bands in ca. summer of ´89
3. Bad town boys in ´89
4. Bad Religion - Against the grain tour
5. Ride in ´92
unkle_karl
Known user

Post by unkle_karl »

Ok, like everyone else I wish I could say for my first 5 gigs:
Spacemen 3(1986)
The Stooges (1973) (although from what I've read a few might disagree!)
etc....

but here goes anyway.
(1) Oasis (Maine Road 1996, 2nd night)
Say what you will, but Oasis was the 1st band I REALLY loved, and the atmosphere at this gig was incredible. Still the only time I've ever seen a (seemingly) totally unplanned encore (Noel coming back onstage to see the crowd leaving - "Oi, fuckin get back in 'ere"). 'Cast No Shadow as the sun went down...incredible. I had to go with my parents, but at the time I would've gone with Saddam Hussein.

(2) Kula Shaker (Wolverhampton Civic 1996 I think). Ahem....my 1st gig with my mates. I'll say it was my mate that liked them, not me, but hey they put a good show on.

(3) Suede (Wolves Civic again). Not sure when exactly, but it was the Coming Up tour. Was too young to have seen the Bernard incarnation of Suede, but this gig made up for it. Loved Dog Man Star, so to hear Heroine and New Generation was great.

(4) Placebo (yup, Wolves Civic again 1997). I doubt there's much love for Placebo on this board, I couldn't care less for them now, but that debut album is still good imo. Anyway, this deserves a special mention, because to this day I've never known an atmosphere like it. Their fanbase is pretty rabid, and it was so intense. A great show to jump around as a kid to.

(5) NME Brat tour (Wolves....are yougetting the idea?!) Not much to say about this except, there was a band called Symposium, and the lead singer jumped off the stage into the crowd, clearing a massive gap (plus metal barrier), which to a 14/15 year old was the coolest thing ever.

The order is getting hazy now, and I know it's only meant to be 5, but it might just be that the next one is....
(6) Spiritualized (Wolves Civic 1997). This was 2 days before the RAH gig, stripped down to a small band. It was brutal. It really felt special, not least because the Civic is a 2000 capacity venue, and only 400 tickets were sold. In retrospect it probably stopped the show being even better, but at the time it felt like it was our little secret, and we'd stumbled in on something magical.

Great thread, cheers for reading!
unkle_karl
Known user

Post by unkle_karl »

oh and also to the guys who said they saw new order...I've REALLY got into them recently, and would give my right arm to be able to see/have seen them. Why were they so disappointing?! I know some of their US tours were meant to be pretty shambolic.....
a beautiful noise
Known user

underscore,

wow, this is going back a bit. it had to have been in the mid-80's, onward. at least i can't remember seeing the beach boys before then.

and to add insult to injury, the last time i saw the beach boys, john stamos was playing drums. to all of you crooked toothed brits, who don't know who he is,do a quick google search. it gives a new meanig to all time low.

unkle karl,

the problem with the show that i had seen was that the p.a.. kept going out, then when they did get it working bernard just lumped around in the same vein as robert smith. hooky was the only person jamming it out. the show was quite shambolic though.

the new order dvd that i saw (err sometthing about live in finsbury park) is fucking horrible. bernard keeps doing these yelps and hoot and hollering in parts of the vocals. and whats up with them hiring the ultra-hip young gun to fill in the space. sooooo sad. bye bye new order, never shall you return.

xxxshonnxxx

Post by Guest »

a beautiful noise: I see...well Republic wasn't exactly the strongest album to be touring anyway I spose. I was hoping to get to see them when they release their next album, but maybe I'll just stick to the records! Get Ready wasn't too bad though?
a beautiful noise
Known user

ya know guest, i have not really listened to get ready. what i really want is the box set that came out recently. apparently bobby gillespie picked out the tracks for the live album.

xxxshonnxxx
unkle_karl
Known user

Post by unkle_karl »

ha, yes you got me there, sorry, forgot to log in... Thanks for replying. I've been keeping an eye out myself for the box with the 5th rarities disc (I'm not sure anyone needs a 17 minute version of Elegia, but still!). Heard a couple of the live tracks off that, 'In A Lonely Place' is very uncomfortable listening (I think it's from 1981). The songs on the fan disc have been chosen really well too.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Can't remember first gig but an early one was PIL at Lancaster Uni ('83 I think) . Blew me away. Wasn't expecting any Pistols stuff but for an encore they came out and did a superb version of E.M.I

Another one which has to be up there was Mogwai supported by Aerial M at the Duchess Of York in Leeds, venue was really too small for Mogwai by this time and the place was rammed. last song both acts on stage doing an earpopping version of Fear Satan, tremendous stuff.

More recently BJM at Joseph's Well in Leeds was fantastic for all sorts of reasons not least of which being that we met and had a few beers with the band before and after the show and despite what you read and hear Anton and the rest of the band were really chatty and great company.

Nugget of a thread this Runcible even if it has veered off slightly.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BVCP206 wrote:
Nugget of a thread this Runcible even if it has veered off slightly.
Your last sentence kind of sums up that BJM night in Leeds. What little of it I can remember that is...
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I didn’t keep my tickets…

These don’t count towards THE LIST, because they were local gigs for local people: The Waterloo Inn (Huntingdon) used to run bands every weekend, good nights included the Children of Some Tradition, Flowershop, Charlottes, Nutmeg, This Replica, later on Jacob’s Mouse played one of their first gigs there. You’d pay a quid to get in, and some nights (Nutmeg) it’d be absolutely raftered with kids going mental…1987-8.

Probably the first proper gig I went to was: Michelle Shocked (Short Sharp Shocked Tour)…Cambridge Corn Exchange 1987…it was quite cold out…Someone I knew (ok, ok, it was a girl) was into folk…they were going…so I went. Bad decision.

Sonic Youth/Mudhoney, London, Kilburn National Ballroom, 1988? Definitely my first trip to London to see anyone. This was Daydream Nation era Sonics, and Mudhoney were brand fucking new, fresh off the blocks. You couldn’t get the records (not in Huntingdon, anyway). All I had beforehand was the split 12” single with Sonics doing “Touch Me I’m Sick”, and Mudhoney doing “Halloween”.

1989 Reading Rock…Spacemen 3, Loop, World Domination Enterprises, MBV, Butthole Surfers, New Order, Mission, Sugarcubes, Head of David (we were sat on the ground, and the seismic power from their drum machine made me feel sick)…erm…no that’s all I remember.

5.30, Sea Cadet Hall, Cambridge. Bizarre venue, I don’t think anyone’s played there since the Junction opened. Phenomenal amounts of wah-wah. Mod baggy, I wore their glow in the dark Tshirt until about 1996 (by which time it made me look like a tramp).

Lame Fest 1989. Astoria. London. Nirvana, Tad, Mudhoney. Legendary gig, Nirvana were on first, and tore the place apart. At the end, Kurdt threw his guitar at Chris, who attempted to swat it back with his bass. Stage-diving was spectacular.

Soup Dragons. 4 August 1990 (My 21st Birthday!). Peterborough Cresset ‘Theatre’…actually this out of town barn lacks even the atmosphere of a branch of B&Q, but I had a good time, in spite of everything which went against it (Peterborough, Soup Dragons…).

(I may have some years wrong – I COULD check them, I suppose, but that would make it look as though I gave a shit/had constructed the list to make me look better than I am).
Bza

Post by Bza »

NIRVANA in 1989...nice one!

I hope they played 'Spank Thru'
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

going back on my promise not to check, here is a list of songs they played from a man on the interweb:

Date = 12/03/89
Location = Astoria Theatre (Sub Pop Lame Fest), London, UK
Length = 50 Min (Complete)
Quality = 8.0 - Audience Recording (Source #1)
Generation = ANA(2)>CDR(10)
Rec Device = Unknown Mic > Sony WM-D3
Notes = Contains clicks. Made inferior by an ANA(1)>DAT upgrade.
Setlist = School / I Wanna Be Your Dog / Scoff / Love Buzz / Floyd The Barber / Dive / Big Cheese / Polly / Spank Thru / About A Girl / Breed / Molly's Lips / Sappy / Negative Creep / Blew.

S'funny, I could remember next to nothing about the MUSIC (still can't). Visuals come back though. Handing in my fantastic 'grunge' jumper and jacket to the cloakroom, finding an unopened beer on the floor before Mudhoney started, and throwing it half finished at the stage so that it trailed a foamy arc behind it. We met an old mate from back home while we were there, and he helped us get back to Kings Cross in the absence of Tube Trains at that time on a Sunday night. It was freezing cold, and I had to walk three miles in the fog in pitch darkness after the train (Huntingdon).

Molly's Lips rings a bell, but they played that at Reading '90 too.

Checked: Sonic YouthMudhoney occurred at the Kilburn National on 22 March 1989. Tickets were £7, and I missed UT or the Sperm Whales, who supported as well, apparently. And from my own memory banks comes the recollection that they all came on stage to play Now I Wanna Be Yr Dog as an encore, and introduced IggY Pop on stage to sing it. I think I believed them, too.

They made their entrance to 'Close to You' by the Carpenters, played through one of their guitar amps, judging by the sound quality.

Thurston had a big dustbin full of guitars on stage for all the different tunings they used.
brenteboy
Known user

Post by brenteboy »

I cannae remember the order or dates in which the latter gigs came but definately the first gig i went to was The Wonder Stuff @Kettering leisure village in 94,just before they decdied to split.Then came (i think) the Prodigy at Bug Jam,Santa Pod 1994,Carter USM (a couple o times),Longpigs,Sultans Of Ping (again twice),Perfume.After that i'm nae really sure but certainly these are the earliest gigs i remeber goin to,although i did see a pre-fame Take That at the East of England show quite some time before all the above.Oh yes!
it's fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.
a beautiful noise
Known user

aaaahhhhhhh will this do, you do care!!!!

xxxshonnxxx
paul messis

Post by paul messis »

my first gigs in chronological order

1) pink floyd - division bell tour 94 with my dad i was a young un' at the tender age of 9 ..laser light shows and lots of strobes had to mean i had to get into better music
2) kula shaker 1999 kentishtown forum .......i still think they were good .....a band to make old and young people dig each other
3) spiritualized let it come down tour at the hammersmith apollo i think 2001
4)stereolab live at shepards bush empire 2001
5) half man half buiscuit exerter university 2001

shortly after i saw mercury rev ...whom i think are one of the best live bands ......i also saw spectrum at the ica which may have been before half man half biscuit .i've also been to all tomorrows parties this year which was simply brilliant .

recent gigs have been a joke cos i've gone with my NME loving friends ......supergrass in which i went back stage .....they were a bunch of monkey looking twats and unfortunately i was blessed to go and see orange juice rip off's franz ferdinand .

i also saw brian wilson perform smile which was the best gig musically i've been too

ive spend time back stage with gorky's zygotic mynci and they were a great bunch of guys

GIGS I WISH I WAS OLD ENOUGH TO SEE WOULD HAVE BEEN

1) suicide anywhere there was a riot
2) the summer of 1988 , to see sp3,mbv,jesus and mary chain,loop,happy mondays etc etc
3) robert johnson playing a resonator in the mississippi delta somewhere
4) pink floyd at the roundhouse with syd and the flies supporting them
5) sun ra performing anywhere in new orleans
6) silver apples live anywhere
7) brian wilson in the studio preparing pet sounds
8) velvet udnerground at the plastic explosion thingy worhol did
9) the adverts playing gary gilmours eyes anywhere
10) loads of freakbeat and mod bands playing at the marquee club

DRONE ON

PAUL MESSIS
a beautiful noise
Known user

have to agree with paul on this one, Mercury Rev are aimply amazing live. they may seem passive and lite on cd, but good lord they rock in the flesh. good call.

xxxshonnxxx
jason_godman
Known user

Post by jason_godman »

It's pretty difficult to remember.

The first was definately Rolling Stones on the voodoo lounge tour when I was ten in 1995. After that there seems to be a 2 year gap but I don't thing that can be right, so at a guess:

1) Rolling Stones, Wembley Stadium, Voodoo lounge 1995.
2) Offspring, Brixton Academy 1997
3) Oasis, Earl's Court, 1997
4) Beck, Bondi beach, new year's eve 1997
5) Manic Street Preachers, Wembley arena, 1998

I have trouble rembering the last 5 gigs I went to in the past 2 months.
assoc.
Known user

Post by assoc. »

here are the early ones that i remember, not 100% the correct order...

1) Gary Glitter - Folkestone leas cliff hall. 1986'ish, I was about 11. Say no more really, he looked but didn't touch.

2) Ultramagnetic MC's - London 91'ish. I've forgotten what the venue was called, the canning studios? Amazing, kool keith came out wearing a straight jacket being led by security guards. They played almost every song off of critical beatdown...

3) The UMC's - Brixton fridge 92'ish. We went to this gig by mistake! we were 'reliably' informed that it was the Ultramagnetic MCs again. It was terrible and the venue was evacuated 3 times due to tear gas being set off by rival promoters. We then had to walk from brixton to charing cross (a hefty walk with tear gas eyes!) and wait for the 6'oclock train.

3) Krs-one - Brixton 92'ish. It was just after sex and violence came out so he played Duck Down as well as the Bridge is over and South bronx etc.

4) These were also around the same time but I can't remember which came next...Cypress hill (with House of Pain?) at the Astoria. EPMD at Brixton. Roxanne Shante at The Astoria. Das EFX at Hammersmith apollo.

The most memorable shows that i've been to include...

Watts, Ashton & Mascis - Brighton Pavilion Theatre. June 2001. I only found out about the gig on the day and turned up and managed to get in. Unbelievable seeing those songs being played in front of about 250 people. It was so loud that there was a gap of about 10 feet from the stage. I saw them again at the LA2 the following November and it wasn't as good. Anyone seen the detroit show on DVD?...........Good isn't It?

Love with Arthur Lee - Brighton Concorde2, June 2002. I expected it to be OK, but it was great, the whole of forever changes
I've seen him do it a couple of times since but it hasn't been the same.

The beta band - Brighton Concorde1, 98-99. The third ep had come out a few weeks before and the good word had been spread. The stage was covered in fake palm trees and they had a movie that they'd made playing behind them of them dressed up in animal costumes flying across hills. They played pretty much everything off the 3 ep's and some other random jams.

The polyphonic spree at portsmouth pyramids 2003 - (Nme tour with datsuns & interpol). Pure joy and happiness

Spirtualized at Glastonbury 2004 was great as well. I don't think anyones mentioned that they came on to 'steve harley - come up and see me and make me smile'! normally a terrible record that should only be played at weddings, but if you are, err excitable, waiting for the spaceman to start then its the greatest, most appropriate song in the world...

thats all i can remember for now...
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

These were all around 86-89:

1. Depeche Mode - at Wembley Arena. Black celebration tour? Could hardly see a thing, sitting near the back. Three motionless guys behind keyboards and Martin Gore running round, trying to fill the stage.

2. AC/DC at Wembley Arena. I remember two other fans on the Tube back bemoaning the fact that the show was exactly the same as five years ago. I imagine the same complaint is true of AC/DC shows these days. The co-ordinated and resigned way in which the rest of the band trooped off for ten mins to have a fag while Angus did one of his solos, and then mooned the audience. Bless 'em.

3. Metallica/Anthrax at Hammersmith Odeon. And I've still got the bootleg t-shirt to prove it. Bass player Cliff Burton died a few weeks later in a bizarre gardening accident. Sorry, I mean a coach crash in Scandinavia.

4. Queen/Status Quo/Alarm/INXS at Wembley Stadium. The one they show on TV a lot.

5. One of those Aids charity concerts with George Michael, Bob Geldof, Elton John, Meatloaf and Boy George. I won the tickets on Capital Radio.
Ian

Post by Ian »

assoc. wrote:Watts, Ashton & Mascis - Brighton Pavilion Theatre. June 2001.
I remember that. We didn't have any idea that Mascis was playing with the Stooge boys, as they didn't come on until about half way through. I glanced at the setlist just before J came on. "Strange," I said to Mary, "They're doing a lot of Stooges songs..."

And then it all made sense!

Love,

Ian
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

assoc. wrote:
Spirtualized at Glastonbury 2004 was great as well. I don't think anyones mentioned that they came on to 'steve harley - come up and see me and make me smile'! normally a terrible record that should only be played at weddings, but if you are, err excitable, waiting for the spaceman to start then its the greatest, most appropriate song in the world...
Sorry - I take exception to your comment there. Come Up And See Me is a classic pop record that sounds as timeless and fantastic now as it did when it came out (an event I can sadly remember).