Barbican 16.12

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

jesus son
Known user

Barbican 16.12

Post by jesus son »

They fucking nailed it tonight. Plus Silent Night as second song encore!
nickh
Known user

Re: Barbican 16.12

Post by nickh »

jesus son wrote:They fucking nailed it tonight. Plus Silent Night as second song encore!
I couldn’t agree more, that was some powerful stuff. 8)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Sounds great! Wish I could have gone.

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

jesus. please tell me someone recorded this!
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

HOLY SHIT!!

Now that was the Spiritualized I remember! What a show, especially after the, in my opinion slight off RFH first night gig.
Blimey last night is burned into my brain and definitley goes down as one of my all time fav Spz shows.
Jesus the strobes during Electricity was just so over the top it blew my mind it was like a thousand spaceships landing directly on my brain, in a snow storm lol.
The sound at the Barbican where we were was just immense ( Third row right in the middle) ...
Doggens mouth harp action- Amazing
Coxon's chops on Think I'm in love- Chop tastic
The choir- Stunning
Horn section- Sun Ra stylee amazing ness

For me it was what all gigs should be, it should transport you for an hour to some place else and leave a smile on your face all the way home....

Heavenly!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Have to agree wholeheartedly with everything TT says. Amazing, amazing night - has to be one of the top three gigs I've seen them play. The bar gets raised yet again.
mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

cooooooooooool!
that sounds wonderful.
oh, i'm so envious of all the people who were there!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

toomilk wrote:jesus. please tell me someone recorded this!
I'm sure I saw someone filming from the side of the stage, love to see a double disk package with the Acoustic Mainlines show from this time last year.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

There was three cameras that I noticed, one high up stage right, one big one on a tripod just behind us centre audience and another hand held on stage. Be great indeed to see the footage...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Wow what a night! The best word I can find to sum it up is Intense. As They Transmit already mentioned the strobes were off the scale. Stay with me was so, so beautiful. Electricity was like being wired up to the LSD national grid. The sound was incredible too. And Silent Night! Amazing scenes! For me the performances had a more emotional connection than the RFH shows. May it was where I was sitting or the sound? This was without a doubt one of the greatest shows I've seen the band play. Ever.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Oh yeah, did anyone else notice Nick Cave? He walked right by us at the end when we were all filing out.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I can only add to the love for last night's show. It was utterly, utterly sublime from start to finish, with the beautiful Silent Night a life-affirming coda. I'm struggling to think of a better gig I've ever been to.

The sound was everything that RFH wasn't (and I was at both nights), just crystal clear and pretty much spot on with the balance - no over the top bass and kettle drum this time!!

In fact, as I mentioned to my mate during the show, if I'd put this gig on myself there's not a single thing I'd change.

All of my Thoughts was - once again - an absolute highlight, but this time the proper space rock sound wasn't drowned out. And as mentioned by TT, the strobes during Electricity had to be seen to be believed - even with my eyes shut they still freaked me out...

Anyone going tonight is in for an absolute treat. I'm tempted to try and pick up a ticket but to be honest I simply can't imagine how it would be any better than last night. I'll stick with my memories.

Only downside - this was the show I decided to leave my recording equipment at home...
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

I'm seriously considering going down tonight and seeing if I can pick up a ticket outside
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Same here, was going to go Christmas shopping...
Think there might be trouble if i sack that off.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Christmas will be back round again next year....this wont lol
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

They Transmit wrote:Oh yeah, did anyone else notice Nick Cave? He walked right by us at the end when we were all filing out.
I saw him! Warren Ellis too.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

I had a little cry during All Of My Thoughts.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Been trying to put my finger on why last night felt so different and I think I might have got it...maybe

It’s kind of easy to forget there is some pretty dark subject matter running through that whole record, the intensity of that show last night seemed to accentuate that for me and was by far the better for it.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

nickh wrote:Been trying to put my finger on why last night felt so different and I think I might have got it...maybe

It’s kind of easy to forget there is some pretty dark subject matter running through that whole record and the intensity of that show last night seemed to accentuate that for me. Of course I didn’t come away feeling miserable or anything, I was grinning like a fool through most of it but where the RFH seemed more celebratory, last night seemed to accentuate the darker sentiments of Ladies and Gents and was by far the better for it.
I think that's a good assessment - and the clarity of the sound made a big difference there too...it was possible to hear much more of the subtlety of the playing, and therefore to truly get into the show, than was the case at the RFH. I spent most of the second night there sitting thinking "fuck me, the sound in here is terrible"...
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Seconded, the sound was perfect last night you could hear every little nuance, lovely... whereas the RFH desk seemed to be run by deaf coal miners.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

They Transmit wrote:Seconded, the sound was perfect last night you could hear every little nuance, lovely... whereas the RFH desk seemed to be run by deaf coal miners.
the RFH was like listening to a 14 quid cd player from a supermarket, in comparison last night was more like a 14 grand hi-fi
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

Hey

How is the sound in the Circle at the Barbican? I'm going tonight and am soooo excited.
Just hope they can pull off a repeat performance.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I was at the front and the sound was amazing, from whats been said on here I think you'll be happy. They Transmit we're you wearing a hat last night in row D? I think I may have been sat next to you?
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Lol Yes Row D 33!!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Hi everyone!

I failed to make the Manchester gig like I planned (the band I work with had a really important gig booked in on the same night. They even tried to move it, but no joy! So yeah, duty got in the way). So I couldn't wait to get to the Barbican last night... I've had a terrible week of stress and nonsense frustrations. It took a few songs for all the tension to be pummeled out of me- but God, what a pummeling?!!! Absolutely stonking gig. Out of this world good. I had magnanimously given up my front row ticket in order to sit next to a lone friend I had brought to the gig. Boy, did I regret it (I didn't tell her that of course). I just wanted to crawl into the band!

'All Of My Thought's', like everyone said, was amazing. And Silent Night was beautiful. I'm a sucker for 'Broken Heart' (is that girly of me?) and 'Cop Shoot Cop' is one of my favourite tracks of all time. But they were all fantastic. The set was full on from beginning to end and everyone played at a 100%. Makes it hard to pick parts, but it also makes it bloody amazing.

Roll on tonight! It will be my last one since I'm unfortunately going to miss the Sage gig too because of a recording session...

Sunny x
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
jethanger
New user

Post by jethanger »

I have a spare but it's in the balcony if anyone is interestenot bothered about how much , don't want the ticket to go to waste

mobile 07847 120974
McFearless333
New user

Post by McFearless333 »

i've sent you a text jethanger, looking for 1 spare.. cheers, chris
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

They Transmit wrote:Lol Yes Row D 33!!
thats comedy! although I do feel quite bad now for not saying hi. next time!
sunny wrote:I failed to make the Manchester gig like I planned (the band I work with had a really important gig booked in on the same night. They even tried to move it, but no joy! So yeah, duty got in the way). So I couldn't wait to get to the Barbican last night... I've had a terrible week of stress and nonsense frustrations. It took a few songs for all the tension to be pummeled out of me- but God, what a pummeling?!!! Absolutely stonking gig. Out of this world good. I had magnanimously given up my front row ticket in order to sit next to a lone friend I had brought to the gig. Boy, did I regret it (I didn't tell her that of course). I just wanted to crawl into the band!

'All Of My Thought's', like everyone said, was amazing. And Silent Night was beautiful. I'm a sucker for 'Broken Heart' (is that girly of me?) and 'Cop Shoot Cop' is one of my favourite tracks of all time. But they were all fantastic. The set was full on from beginning to end and everyone played at a 100%. Makes it hard to pick parts, but it also makes it bloody amazing.
great post Sunny! It really was a belter wasnt it!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Thanks Simon! You going tonight?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

No sadly not. Ive have to go Christmas shopping tonight as its the last opportunity Ive got now. On the one hand Im gutted I cant make the gig, but on the other it was so perfect last night that I almost want to just remember that. If I had a rubbish seat or something like that tonight I think it would spoil the memory. Having said that at 8.30 I will be wishing I was there.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

simonkeeping wrote:No sadly not. Ive have to go Christmas shopping tonight as its the last opportunity Ive got now. On the one hand Im gutted I cant make the gig, but on the other it was so perfect last night that I almost want to just remember that. If I had a rubbish seat or something like that tonight I think it would spoil the memory. Having said that at 8.30 I will be wishing I was there.
December is crazy isn't it?! Just too too much to do... Well, you got to see one of the best gigs ever, right?! Not too shabby!
I'm in front row today, I think right in front of Doggen or Coxon. I'm going to end up with a twisted neck trying to watch Jason, haha.

Right, I'm off to get myself prepared. Need to get in the mood properly tonight. Took me too long to wind down yesterday...

Have fun all of you that are going!
xx
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Have a great night! Look forward to hearing about it tomorrow!
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

Wow, what an amazing night!!

As I walked down to my seat the girl working there said "the performance tonight will involve intense strobes" I replied "that's what I'm here for...."

It was really something... and Jason knew it, I don't think I've ever seen him smile so much. they were so into it, so much passion, something I didn't feel at the RFH.

I was in row F and the sound was fantastic, the lights made me question my sanity during Elecricity. So bright I could barely keep my eyes open. :)

Nuff said

KK
ragmop
Known user

Post by ragmop »

Krisskrossfrog wrote:Wow, what an amazing night!!

As I walked down to my seat the girl working there said "the performance tonight will involve intense strobes" I replied "that's what I'm here for...."

It was really something... and Jason knew it, I don't think I've ever seen him smile so much. they were so into it, so much passion, something I didn't feel at the RFH.

I was in row F and the sound was fantastic, the lights made me question my sanity during Elecricity. So bright I could barely keep my eyes open. :)

Nuff said

KK
I was in the middle of the front row, I had the same thing mentioned about the strobes, think I said something along the lines of "Good" :P
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

I should have gone! I had precisely nothing to do the last two nights.....

goddammit, i thought the RFH was as good as it was gonna get, and so decided not to buy a ticket.

Which was a spectactular idea :wink:

Did anyone at least record it? my RFH recordings are getting worn out, if such a thing were possible. i need to hear silent night!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

well guys officially consider me jealous. like a lot of people I went to the first night of the RFH and although enjoyed the event the muddy sound meant that it didn't quite hit the spot. looks like the Barbican was where it all clicked into place!!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:well guys officially consider me jealous. like a lot of people I went to the first night of the RFH and although enjoyed the event the muddy sound meant that it didn't quite hit the spot. looks like the Barbican was where it all clicked into place!!
Seconded. Happy for everyone who went to these gigs but on a personal, purely selfish level: gutted. :mrgreen:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
willo
New user

Post by willo »

It was like anything that good...bittersweet. Because as amazing as it was - and it undoubtedly was - you know its going away as soon as the last note is hit.

I travelled from Newcastle to London...didn't know about the Sage gig tonight, and missed the last ticket by about 10 seconds online last night.

Some part of me wants to watch it every night. Hopefully it comes out as a DVD. I'm trying to pick it all apart and figure out exactly how you write an album like that.
PeshoG
Known user

Post by PeshoG »

(I posted this in response to another thread, but thought i'd put it here since I ended up writing my account of the show)

Ollie,
Were you behind the annoying American who kept standing up and clapping and trying to get the crowd excited throughout the whole thing all while drunk off his ass?

Well that was me. We talked after the show for a second and I didn't know what you were asking me, remember? Hopefully you're the same person because it was great to meet you and your friends.

Everything has been said regarding the show. I took my Dad and he loved it as well. He especially loved Silent Night. He said that it reminded him of seeing Zappa back in the day, strictly in the way that Spaceman had everyone so under control. He was in charge of everything.

The lights were unbelievable and the sound couldn't have been any better. The first night, i was 2nd row (By the way, there were a couple SLEEPING in the first row during half the set. I almost poured a beer on dude and his girl) and it was great to see everything up close, but I have to say that sitting in the circle for the 2nd night provided for an overall superior experience.

Highlights:

-The extended ending of "Stay with me"
-Extended version of "Electricity"
-Seeing them play "Out of Sight".....I can't tell you how many times I've listened to the live version of that song from the portsmouth radio recording.
-"Cop Shoot Cop." When that last bass riff kicks it to the ending. Wow.
-Doggen + Harmonica = Breaks my heart every time.
-"Electricity" into "Home of the Brave"

Lowlights:
-Girl kicking over my 2 beers in one cup during the first song.
-Sleepers
-Nobody buying my extra ticket for Wednesday. I was offering a vulnerable girl, a beer, and the ticket for 30 quid.

Another funny story is that I brought an old friend that I was visiting to the show on Wednesday. She had never heard of Spiritualized, so had no idea what to expect. The situation changed her and I woke up at her house to find this on her facebook:

" Second row for SPIRITUALIZED fucked me up good. Thankyouthankyou peter, I think I left chunks of my brain at the barbican. ALL HAIL JASON PIERCE. I'm not worthy. if don't know, get on it, people please"

Two of the best shows I've ever seen. Thanks Jason, Christina, Pops, and London. Y'all have a beautiful city over there. Can't wait to visit it again.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

pic from the 16th
Attachments
16.12photo.jpg
16.12photo.jpg (120.62 KiB) Viewed 7805 times
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

a little bit late on this one but can anyone recolect that great blues gospel track they played before the band came on the first night at the Barbican? Its started off really quietly with a little bit of guitar then build up. I'd love to know what it was.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

I know it wasn't
'the lord he gonna pop it in thy mouth'

however I do know I'm going to watch the London
comm gospel choir tommorrow nite in of all places,
London!

I hope they do that one
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

I guess that by the end of the year, we'll be having a nice looking and brillant sounding dvd/cd of the barbican gig in our hands! mark my words (and keep your fingers crossed).
"Thank you"
PeshoG
Known user

Post by PeshoG »

I was just daydreaming about how unbelievable those shows were yesterday, thinking to myself.... "man...I would give my left nut for a dvd or 2xlp of that show".......

then I thought "Pete, you're such a nerd."

but if it happened, without my having to give a nut, I'd be thrilled! I'd still love an acoustic mainlines official release as well, but I guess you can't have it all.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Surely a double LP of the Barbican/RFH show AND an Acoustic Mainlines show (Edinburgh perhaps?) would be the dream ticket. After all, the original L&GWAFIS was only a single album, so why would the live version need to be a double? An acousitc/electric shows double live album would be the best of both worlds. I mean, the boots of these gigs are excellent quality so surely the masters off the sound desk are even better.....right?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Supposedly the vinyl/DVD release of the Acoustic Mainlines is still in the works. Probably was put on the back burner by the LAG reissue. Maybe now that's calmed down, they will have the time/money to focus on the long-awaited acoustic release!
PeshoG
Known user

Post by PeshoG »

Let's all pray for that.

I don't know...I definitely think that the live version of LAGWAFIS would need a 2xlp...possibly a triple. Although I really only buy vinyl, I'd settle for a DVD/CD.

But yes. Jason, speaking to you directly (although I'm sure you never read this board)..I'll donate directly to the cause if you decide to do a LAGWAFIS live / Acoustic mainlines DVD/CD/Vinyl/whatever the hell you want style-release. In a pillbox or out, I'll drop my dough on it, no doubt. Those were two of the best shows I've ever seen, ever. Seriously. I get chills just thinking about them.
McSane
New user

Post by McSane »

To keep the post going...

Attended 17th gig. Absolutely awe inspiring.

JSpaceman, if you're reading, my money is waiting the footage too as I'm sure many others are. How long...?
PeshoG
Known user

Post by PeshoG »

Right on. I brought my Dad and he thought it was unbelievable, though "a little loud" at certain points. He was also impressed by the fact that it started on time and that it was announced over the loudspeaker 10 minutes prior to beginning. "If only clubs in the states were this punctual," he said.

Yeah, Jason, for real. DVD, CD, LP, torrent, cassette. Anything you want to throw at us would be very cool.