Gateshead Sage - Woe is me !

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

charles w
Known user

Gateshead Sage - Woe is me !

Post by charles w »

I am sitting in my home having spent a fruitless two hours trying to drive to Gateshead from Durham.

There was the most ill-timed snowfall which led to the traffic becoming gridlocked and it being really dangerous to drive.

I am absolutely fecking bustard gutted. I had the tickets for six months and was anticipating the gig like no other.

Feck, feck and extra feck.
renaldo
Known user

Re: Gateshead Sage - Woe is me !

Post by renaldo »

charles w wrote:I am sitting in my home having spent a fruitless two hours trying to drive to Gateshead from Durham.

There was the most ill-timed snowfall which led to the traffic becoming gridlocked and it being really dangerous to drive.

I am absolutely fecking bustard gutted. I had the tickets for six months and was anticipating the gig like no other.

Feck, feck and extra feck.
I can sense the panic that struck you in that jam.
You have my deepest empathy!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

how much snow is coming down in the UK?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

spzretent wrote:how much snow is coming down in the UK?
Fuck all in London, although we still have a smattering on the ground from a few days ago coz it's below freezing. Much worse elsewhere though...

Charles my heart bleeds for you, it really does. I can't imagine how it felt when you finally realised it was a no go. Chin up and hopefully there'll be a good bootleg somewhere along the line.
Prince Bishop
Known user

Post by Prince Bishop »

Jesus, that was the best show I (almost) never saw. I saw them in Manchester but I was taking my parents to see them tonight for their xmas present, they've never seen them before but I knew they'd love it.

It took us 3 fucking hours to get from just below durham to the sage, and we set off at 6. We trudged up the A19, I guess you took the A1 charles? We turned back twice and we headed for the coast once as well but eventually we just made the decision to keep going whatever.

We got there just at the end of electricity, opening the door to a wall of noise and strobes. I had warned my parents about this, and they're not your average music fans, so this was quite a shock to them! We were almost at the front so sorry to anyone who we barged past.

They absolutely loved it but at the same time we're absolutely gutted. The sound and our seats were incredible, totally blew manchester away, even though manchester was the best thing I'd ever seen at the time. But just seeing how fucking good it was just makes it harder because we missed the first half, and most importantly ladies and gentlemen which is my mums favorite song, and mine too.

Still I'm thankful we saw something because I was taking them for xmas, and I have got them nothing else. They were totally blown away coming back in the car, so least we're happy rather than if we'd ended up not seeing them at all.
thagan
New user

Post by thagan »

Seen Spacemen 3 and Spirtualized loads of times but never saw the Ladies & Gentleman tour.
Beautiful Songs, Amazing Gig.
I was lucky enough to be able to walk to the Sage. I was 10 rows back and there were loads of empty seats in front of me you were not the only one to miss out, gutted for you.
Stopped afterwards for a couple of beers, on the way out skidding across the car park passed Jason and some of the band heading towards the Quayside.
Perhaps they could come back in the Sping and "Do it all over again" for those that couldn't get there.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Just made this from Carlisle due to snow after a 2 1/2 hr journey.
Thank god I did. Best gig I have ever seen without a doubt, seen Spiritulaized 6 or 7 times but this was better than them all put together,
Sound as ever in the Sage was perfect. Best song - All Of MyThoughts, Never thought I would ever see that live. Coxon was on fire on I Think I'm In Love, Great to see him back, he brings a more droney tremolo sound,
Finished with Silent Night,
Lights on Electricity where fucking amazing! Loved how most songs where extended, Stay With Me must have been close to the 7 minute mark. I really hope Coxon is back for good. Jasons voice was the best I have heard it too.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Incredible gig on Saturday - from start to finish, everything was spot on. The sound, the performance, the lights, everything. When Electricity went into Home of the Brave, I can't even think of words to describe how good it was.

Mind blowing.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Saturday night was just incredible - the sixth and best time I've seen Spiritualized. I feel for anyone who missed the gig thanks to the snow :( The sound in the Sage was crystal clear, and nothing got buried in the mix - the horns and strings sounded perfect even when the guitars were pummelling away at full strength. Doggen and Coxon were fantastic as ever, but particular kudos to the bass player - his sound was seriously loud and heavy yet never overwhelmed the other instruments, and his playing was just incredible. Highlights for me were Come Together, All Of My Thoughts, the extended Stay With Me (the bass again - so beautiful!) and the climatic Cop Shoot Cop... The strobes were just insane at times :shock:

Afterwards, my girlfriend and I were discussing which musician had the "best job to do" - I instantly said Doggen, but she went for the bass player, because "he had so many cool things to play!" :D

Only minor irritation - they'd run out of medium LAGWAFIS tees, so I had to get a small one. Oh well :)
sensitized
New user

Post by sensitized »

I feel sorry for those who were defeated by the weather :(
We set off from Teesside at 4pm to beat the weather, have a meal and enjoy the venue, it was our first visit to the Sage.
I'm so glad we got there, it was the most fabulous concert I've been to, and I've been to many over the years believe me.
4 rows back and with Spaceman right in front of us, what an amazing show. The sound at the Sage is crystal clear.

Many many highlights, but 'Stay with Me' will stay with me for a long time to come.
'Electricity' and the strobes, was something else :D

The whole band, choir and orchestra got it spot on, I do hope a DVD of this show is released.

30-40 mph all the way back home down the A1 because of the snow, didn't ruin an amazing night.
Last edited by sensitized on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

Anyone who missed the show due to the snow had any success with getting a refund ?
dobergoose
New user

Post by dobergoose »

Missed half of the show. We drove down from Glasgow and the roads although as bad as expected, did keep moving, and the only reason we were so late is my mate who's car we used was 3 hours late, all because he'd met a new woman the night before and couldn't drag himself away from her, needless to say its the last time I ever rely on him for anything, everytime I think about it I get so wound up, missed what was to be the highlight of a real bad year for me bacause my friend was a selfish cock.