What gigs have you got coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

redcloud
Known user

Re: What gigs have you got coming up?

Post by redcloud »

Chris Robinson Brotherhood tonight!

Fun preview in one of our local rags: http://wweek.com/portland/event-82936-c ... rhood.html
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm thinking about going to NYC near the end of January to visit friends. If I do go, I'll be seeing Mission of Burma and Pissed Jeans (separate shows)!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Chris Robinson Brotherhood were excellent last night! No support band they came on just past 8:30 and finished at 11:45! As the band walked on to the stage the keyboard player had a joint in his mouth...took three big hits then lit six sticks of incense and placed them in a large owl incense burner that was perched on one of the amps. That set the atmosphere for the evening. His keyboard sounded exactly like Al Kooper's on the Super Session record with Bloomfield and Stills. A lot of warmth and color but very swirley. Chris played rhythm the whole night and his voice was full of soul and his harmonies were perfect. His voice has never sounded better than it has on the past couple Crowes albums. They played almost all new material from Chris' previous LP and newer stuff yet to be recorded with this current band. They also threw in some covers including a killer version of the Dead's 'Bertha' that had the whole crowd moving. After a short intermission they came back on for set two which went into some pretty cool exploratory jams and a very funky, stoned and lazy version of 'Blue Suede Shoes' for the encore.

The whole show kinda reminded me of those slowed down, groovy, soulful Jerry Garcia Band shows that Jerry played between Dead tours. Just a bunch of guys touring for fun and enjoying playing music together with very few, if any, preconceived ideas. Totally stripped down, loose, stoned and lazy but with a groove that could meander anywhere. The key to it all though was that it was completely chilled out.

Superb evening.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I am very envious of the CRB set! Having missed the Crowes when they came here in July I would just love to see something to do with them live...

Was it Adam MacDougall on keys?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Low in Brighton was fantastic last night. Glad I finally got them to play stars gone out! Had a great evening and an entertaining trip to Heathrow Airport after the show, Alan does not like Haribo Gold Bear.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

James, I went to the show on Saturday night (shame we never got in touch before hand to arrange a meet up) along with my girlfriend and my best mate. My girlfriend and I loved it; my best mate didn't (I think "turgid" was his exact description?! :? ). The vocals were amazing, especially the harmonies. Couldn't believe they opened with Nothing But Heart.... I was convinced that was going to be the set closer (what a cracking tune).

My girlfriend bought their (signed) Christmas album on vinyl after the show as we had a Christmas soiree at our house the following day. Must admit, it didn't stay on that long.... didn't quite realise how sombre it would be. It didn't really get anyone in the Christmas mood, but then again, what was I expecting? (as one of my friends pointed out... how many upbeat Xmas tunes were there ever going to be on an album by an indie band called Low!!! :lol: )

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the show. Did you get to see them anywhere else on the tour... I know you're a massive Low fan (by the way, was this the band that you were hoping may get you into the States?).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

BzaInSpace wrote:MARK LANEGAN BAND!!! :D
you heard the free Mp3 yet mate?

http://marklanegan.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

NO! But I will now... thanks very much Simon!

Blues Funeral is being released on my birthday. Perfect... :D
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

My 11 year old son is getting heavily into music. He wants to see The Dandy Warhols on Dec. 11, which I said I would take him to. As a local band with a respected reputation it's good that he is showing interest in them. They are playing 3 or 4 shows around Portland next weekend and the 11th is an all ages, matinee show (5pm) with the Shivas. Last time I saw the Dandy's was probably around 2005...hopefully they play stuff from the first three albums and not crap from that Nick Rhodes produced album upwards.
marmalade
Known user

Post by marmalade »

having just heard about it . . . Primal Scream at the Barrowlands on the 30th December!!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Dandy Warhols - Later this afternoon/early evening. An all ages, matinee gig (5-8pm). Taking my son to see them.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Dandies played a set that featured heavily from their back catalog. There were some new tunes thrown in (a new album is on its way) but it was mostly a "best of" set from the years. My son loved it. We stood front and center of the stage and he was immersed in the sounds, lights and action of an intimate rock gig.

Local band, The Shiva's opened and were brilliant. The 60's garage sound seems to be popular with a certain set of 20 somethings.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

marmalade wrote:having just heard about it . . . Primal Scream at the Barrowlands on the 30th December!!
Please post a review of this. Looking forward to their next album.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:
marmalade wrote:having just heard about it . . . Primal Scream at the Barrowlands on the 30th December!!
Please post a review of this. Looking forward to their next album.
Think it's a Screamadelica one. They're in Dublin on the 29th (which i'll be at, hoping for a massive improvement on the Belfast gig in August) then Edinburgh on New Years Eve.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I saw Death In Vegas, in Camden, last night. IMMENSE!! Couple of songs didn't quite hit the heights but man oh man was a pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Totally reworked version of Aisha, monumental version of Blood Yawning. The new album tracks sounded great. Admittedy his vocals aren't anything to rave about but for me it was all about the layers and layers of sound and sonic creating this amazing wall of continuous build up, volume and impact. The lights/strobes and lazers only added to the psychedelic feel. Yep, totally loved it.
Spotted a couple of Horrors there, and whilst I really like them, I hope they were taking notes on how to create something amazing live (saw them in Southend a little while back and it was a bit of a let down - not helped by a shabby sound system I admit).
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

johnnyboy wrote:I saw Death In Vegas, in Camden, last night. IMMENSE!! Couple of songs didn't quite hit the heights but man oh man was a pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Totally reworked version of Aisha, monumental version of Blood Yawning. The new album tracks sounded great. Admittedy his vocals aren't anything to rave about but for me it was all about the layers and layers of sound and sonic creating this amazing wall of continuous build up, volume and impact. The lights/strobes and lazers only added to the psychedelic feel. Yep, totally loved it.
Spotted a couple of Horrors there, and whilst I really like them, I hope they were taking notes on how to create something amazing live (saw them in Southend a little while back and it was a bit of a let down - not helped by a shabby sound system I admit).
i loved how the purple light would light one side of fearless' face and then flash to the other side. that was simple but awesome!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

for anyone from around brighton or fans of british sea power..
http://britishseapower.co.uk/blog/423/krankenhaus-1
they're a great live band and the promise of b-side sets / albums played in full etc... sounds ace.
Their album 'Man of Aran' is a personal favourite, so if by some twist of fate i happen to go on a night when they happen to play that, it would be amazing! i kinda like the surprise though..
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

just saw a brief comment from James of The Cosmic Dead... seems they are playing a show in Glasgow @ 13th Note with GNOD at the end of Feb!!!!! Whooppee! Will keep my eyes peeled...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

moop wrote:for anyone from around brighton or fans of british sea power..
http://britishseapower.co.uk/blog/423/krankenhaus-1
they're a great live band and the promise of b-side sets / albums played in full etc... sounds ace.
Their album 'Man of Aran' is a personal favourite, so if by some twist of fate i happen to go on a night when they happen to play that, it would be amazing! i kinda like the surprise though..
I'm a bit partial to the old BSP, but not so much that I'm going to buy one of their "season tickets" for all 6 of these club nights! No one else I know is in to them so let me know if you're looking to go to one of these nights, Moop, and I'll try and get hold of a ticket too.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Mogwai tomorrow night at the Barrowlands.

Primal Scream next friday at the Barrowlands!

Sweet!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Some Low shows coming up in the new year, maybe starting with a show in Seville on my birthday. Then there's the shows at birmingham glee club and royal festival hall. It's all happening!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

veronica falls at the empty bottle two days after valentine's day. perfect.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Daniel Johnston is playing Belfast, The Empire 4th April

never thought i'd get to see him live w/o having to travel - he maybe played dublin a few yrs ago but i missed him & didn't think he'd be back on this island again so it was a great surprise.

got him, spz & lanegan all within a few weeks of each other.

having been starved of gigs recently they're coming thick & fast & there's more than i can afford. which in a way is a good place to be.

the only bummer was White Hills aren't playing Belfast on their tour. can't justify travelling to Dublin or Cork to see them. someday tho...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Saw Jason Lytle, formerly of Grandaddy, in a tiny venue in Sydney last night while on holiday... what a voice, and such a lovely guy. My girlfriend absolutely loved it too. We'd been looking at possible gigs but not much was coming up in the week and half we were here for... typically there's loads of good stuff coming up in the next month or so though including Wooden Shjips, Dirty Three and New Order. We were thinking of going to see the Horrors but it was $50 per ticket which seemed rather expensive. There was also a little indie festival on though the line up wasn't a big enough draw for me (http://sydney.lanewayfestival.com.au/artists/).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Saw Rich Robinson in Leeds last night which was absolutely superb. This was music at its least pretentious - no stage show, no light show, no proper frontman... It was a 4 piece band bouncing off each other and playing hard as hell. Big beefy riffs, thick with texture and depth, big work-outs and a pumping rhythm section. The man himself has a limited vocal range but he did OK - it was more about the music. A surprising cover of Floyd's 'Fearless' was excellent but it was the only Black Crowes moment 'What Is Home' that was the highlight.

A very relaxed and appreciative crowd - that tends to be the way at the ever friendly and wonderful Brudenell Social Club - and a lovely sound from the guys on the mixing desk (STILL the best sound I have ever heard in the UK). The guy on the merch stand said the set would be 90 minutes but they were still crunching away well over 2 hours after they started and seemed to be really enjoying themselves. Great to see such high quality musicianship - that band were shit hot and tight as you like.

Worth catching if you like a bit of Crowes or early 70s guitar rock. I'd go again if he was playing tonight.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

^^^^^ Runcible, I totally agree on Rich Robinson's current solo stuff. I too LOVED the gig I saw here last November. In fact, it was a highlight gig of 2011 for me. They also played 'What is Home' at the show I saw and I felt exactly the same way as you...a great highlight as was 'Standing on the Surface of the Sun' and 'Follow You Forever'. They didn't play any Floyd at the Portland gig but they did play a particularly heavy version of Cream's 'Politician'. As this was at the height of the "Occupy Portland" movement it was brilliantly timed.

Glad you dug it as much as I did and as much as I hoped you would! 8)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

SunnO))) in quadrophonic surround sound.

The Cure + more at Primavera Sound.

Low tour.

Wilco in Paris maybe
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Got given a ticket for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah so saw them a couple of weeks ago, average really. Upcoming, or rather ones i've got tickets for:
War On Drugs, Mark Lanegan Band, White Hills, Spiritualized, Dandy Warhols, John Cale, The Horrors, Happy Mondays with Inspiral Carpets.

Possibles: Kurt Vile & The Violators, Earth, Michael Gira, Arboretum with Hush Arbors.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

well not myself but my better half will be seeing Spiritualized in Tokyo on Sunday! With Tokyo's own mn_spi!

Have fun!

B,

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

already mentioned on another thread that the Twilight Sad were brilliant the other night.. new material sounding much better live.

in the next couple of months I've got my eye on White Hills, Spz (obviously), Pelican, A Place To Bury Strangers and maybe the Horrors

also maybe Teeth Of The Sea but not sure what they would be like live
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

sunray wrote:Got given a ticket for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah so saw them a couple of weeks ago, average really. Upcoming, or rather ones i've got tickets for:
War On Drugs, Mark Lanegan Band, White Hills, Spiritualized, Dandy Warhols, John Cale, The Horrors, Happy Mondays with Inspiral Carpets.

Possibles: Kurt Vile & The Violators, Earth, Michael Gira, Arboretum with Hush Arbors.
Looking a bit like my list: tickets for War on Drugs, Mark Lanegan Band and Spiritualized. Perfume Genius in May too. Considering Dandy Warhols, like I do every time they tour here before going 20 quid? for a band that haven't really caught my attention for > 10 yrs now.

Last gig I was at was Spotlight Kid at King Tuts on Wed. A short set, but they're really good and loud live.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

there are lots coming to town-
atlas sound (working on getting a ticket to this- it's sold out)
disappears
soft speaker/sleepy sun/white hills
cave
telescopes
spiritualized
ty segall
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

The Chapman Family (Hull Adelphi)
Spiritualized (Manchester Academy)
The Horrors (Manchester Ritz)
Sunn O))) (Manchester Ritz)

Hopefully John Cale (London Royal Festival Hall)
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Ghost_World wrote:The Chapman Family (Hull Adelphi)
In the words of the Cramps Oooooo you got good taste

Fucking love them Chapmans - they are the most under-rated band EVER. I was hoping to see some of their current tour but due to illness I'm not allowed out to play for god knows how long. If you see a girl with black and white hair go over and say hi, she's one of my best mates and a Chapman stalker.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Spiritualized next thursday!!!

Cannot wait!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Tickets bought for the following gigs (May is looking good! Hopefully something comes through town in April):

3/31 - Dark Star Orchestra
5/4 - Brian Jonestown Massacre
5/25 - Spiritualized
5/26 - Mark Lanegan Band
7/30 - Iron Maiden (taking my son for his 12th birthday)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Sun Araw played Portland on Thursday night. I only found out earlier in the evening. I called the bar and they were scheduled to go on around midnight. I was in two minds but by 11pm and a couple glasses of wine I was pretty settled. Oh well...another time.

Tonight though (3/31)....Dark Star Orchestra @ the Crystal Ballroom. My buddy and I have our tickets and I am very much looking forward to it. They were surprisingly brilliant when I last saw them and I went as a cynic and fully expecting not to enjoy it. I was converted and will definitely see them every time they play Portland. Runcible can verify how great this band is live. 8)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:Sun Araw played Portland on Thursday night. I only found out earlier in the evening. I called the bar and they were scheduled to go on around midnight. I was in two minds but by 11pm and a couple glasses of wine I was pretty settled. Oh well...another time.
I would LOVE to see Sun Araw again. Just fantastic in a small back room at Leeds Brudenell.
redcloud wrote:Tonight though (3/31)....Dark Star Orchestra @ the Crystal Ballroom. My buddy and I have our tickets and I am very much looking forward to it. They were surprisingly brilliant when I last saw them and I went as a cynic and fully expecting not to enjoy it. I was converted and will definitely see them every time they play Portland. Runcible can verify how great this band is live. 8)
Yup. Gig of the year for me so far. To be captivated by a 4 hour set takes some doing but it seemed pretty easy for those guys. I am most envious.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I saw Dark Star Orchestra for the second time last night. As runcible mentioned a few posts back...these guys are a Grateful Dead tribute band but please allow your cynicism to be appeased. This band is more than a tribute band. They are the real deal. They are brilliant and tight, yet loose (which is an oxymoron I know, but it's true) musicians who kill it on stage for 3.5+ hours. I saw them for the first time last year and didn't expect to enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did. Saw them again last night and had another great evening. The gig was an "original set' meaning they culled from the 30 year history of the band rather than playing an actual Dead show. They came on stage at 8pm and finished right at midnight. The show had some fine moments including an absolute skull splitting 'Viola Lee Blues' as its closer. It was the true shining moment for me but another highlight was a scorching 'Eleven Jam'. It wasn't until "The Eleven" that things really started to lift off, but by 'Viola' we were taken to Mars. Worth the price of admission alone just for these two incendiary jams.

It was also sold out if not over sold. The Crystal Ballroom was totally packed to the gills and smelled of patchouli oil and strong skunk weed!

If I didn't have to work tomorrow I would seriously consider driving down to Eugene to see them again tonight.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I've been looking forward to this one...

Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Merz. Lausanne, 18th April. Launch of new album 'No Compass Will Find Home'.

Road trip from Rugby. Hoping SHSL comes before I leave on Tuesday night, as it has a space reserved at the top of my playlist.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Spiby wrote:Merz. Lausanne, 18th April. Launch of new album 'No Compass Will Find Home'.

Road trip from Rugby. Hoping SHSL comes before I leave on Tuesday night, as it has a space reserved at the top of my playlist.
Well what a cool trip! SHSL didn't come in time so I downloaded it from iTunes; the CD came whilst I was in Switzerland, so I now have 2 copies...

As we set off from home Merz invited us (via Facebook) to a radio station session in Lausanne, if we were there by 4pm. Made it just in time, seriously sleep deprived - lovely bloke, great session and fab gig that night. Catch him if you can (no dates outside of Switzerland announced yet, but here's hoping). 1440 miles and 26 hours of great tunes (thanks Tim!), journey bookended by SHSL. "Hey Jane" may be responsible for some speeding tickets.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

May is going to be a huge month of gigs for me:

May 4 - Brian Jonestown Massacre
May 13 - Sleepy Sun
May 15 - White Hills (undecided on this one)
May 25 - Spiritualized
May 26 - Mark Lanegan Band
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Austin Psych Fest April 26 - May1
Spiritualized Detroit - May 4
8)
I think I feel it coming on
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

This is quite a week of shows for me. I doubt I will make all but I will see.

Moon Duo last night
Laurie Anderson Wed.
Jeff Magnum Thurs.
Biosphere/Pole Sat.
Peaking Lights/Sun Araw Sun.

Now, if I can only make it to Vancouver for Spiritualzed at the end of May.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Tinariwen last night
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Elvis Costello
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Went to Arbouretum and Hush Arbors on Saturday night. HA was disappointing, just one man and his guitar, dunno why but i was expecting more. On the plus side Arbouretum were way better than i was expecting. I'd only heard one song on a compilation before but decided i'd take a punt on this gig and i'm glad i did, it was well worth it. Every song had a long guitar solo but not in a wanky way, in fact i didn't want each one to end. Nice psych vibe with an occasional folky feel but always back to that guitar for an extended jam. For fans of Sleepy Sun I reckon. Recommended.

Like a few others here May is going to be a busy month. Apart from the above gig i've also got:

The Horrors
Happy Mondays / Inspiral Carpets
Bob Log III (still undecided on this as i've seen him twice before so i might keep the cash for something else)
Sleep
Ozric Tentacles
Hawkwind
The Men

Was also supposed to have John Cale but that's been rescheduled for October, plus Death Grips but they've cancelled their tour altogether to finish their album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

going to ATP I'll Be Your Mirror this weekend, for the Saturday only. shame other bands I like such as Sleepy Sun are playing the other days but can't really afford it.

all the bands I want to see are in a row on the main stage- Codeine, Mudhoney, Dirty Three, Mogwai. anyone else is a bonus :) really looking forward to it!!

I also see the Walkmen have announced a UK tour for October which I'm tempted by, but I'm going to see what the new album is like first. hope it's an improvement on Lisbon and more along the lines of the wonderful You & Me
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Moon Duo and Hookworms in Liverpool on June 7th in The Kazimer. My first time seeing either band so it should be good, particularly at 9 quid a ticket. Anybody here going?

Peter Hook is bringing his Joy Division Pub Rock Tribute Nite here on Friday.(We are giving it a miss) We also have tickets for Dead Can Dance in Dublin and Brussels and Liz Frazier in London later in the year. Really looking forward to both of these.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Portishead in France later this month.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

dublab is presenting a Krautrock Classics night tonight at the Wiltern - lots of cool current artists doin' covers and such - dublab recently did an excellent interview with Irmin Schmidt - I'll see if I can find the link. I'm really excited.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hookworms tomorrow night amongst a host of other bands for an all-dayer in Brighton. Then Moon Duo in a couple of weeks. Not much else in the pipeline till end of July when I'm going to see the Inspiral Carpets the night before my 40th Birthday which is apt as they were the first gig I ever went to. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

After a huge month of gigs in May I only have a couple on the horizon at the moment:

June 16- Sleepy Sun (opening for Dandy Warhols...hmmmm, $25 to see a condense set? Not sure. I may wait until they headline again).

July 28- Green Pajamas - Seattle (New Record Release Party and show)

I am also taking my son up to Seattle on July 30 to see Iron Maiden for his 12th birthday.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Tuesday Glass, Honeydrip, TV Girl tonight at Space 15 20 (bunch of local LA bands).

Jesus and Mary Chain on the 15th at Hollywood Park or something.

The Men at the Smell.

Lower Dens at the Troubadour on the 30th. Very excited for this one. The Soft Pack, Abe Vigoda, and Dunes are also playing at the Bootleg that night, might try to catch Dunes (who I've seen several times but always dig). Would love to see the Soft Pack, but 99% won't get a chance.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:
The Men at the Smell.
The Men are playing Portland June 23. Having read good, interesting reviews about them in here I would probably go but unfortunately we wont be in town on the 23rd.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

this year is looking good at the mo, possibly got BJM, Sleepy Sun, Grizzly Bear, the Walkmen, Spz, Dirty Three all lined up.
and Supersonic festival of course
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

just a few in the next month, really- all pitchfork or pitchfork related-

lower dens at the empty bottle (not going on friday because they are really the only band i want to see)
the walkmen at lincoln hall (this is a lollapalooza after party)
dirty three at lincoln hall (definitely getting tickets for this one asap)
beach house at the riviera in october (just bought my ticket today- i'm going to it by myself).

i'm going to the sunday pitchfork date, but am in a bit of a quandary- have to choose between thee oh sees and ty segall (probably choosing thee oh sees) and also the men and real estate (i've never seen or heard anything by the men so far, but have heard nothing but great things. i've seen real estate twice and they were good both times). might go catch the men and ty segall at the empty bottle on saturday night that week, but it just depends- i hate going to late shows on saturday nights because people get so trashed it just ends up being a miserable way to spend an evening in a cramped room getting stepped on and bumped into all night (i'm old), plus i just saw ty segall a month ago. advice? recommendations?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

shalloboi wrote: the men (i've never seen or heard anything by the men so far, but have heard nothing but great things).
The Men are playing Portland tomorrow but I will be out of town. They are coming back though in early September for the MFNW (Music Fest NorthWest) I will definitely see them then. There's a good write up about them in our local free press.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Turns our im missing the men at the smell in LA :( .

I have tickets for real estate in August that I'm really excited for as I've been following em for a while - a friend of mine was at their first show in new jersey a few years back and showed me them then and I still haven't gotten a chance to see em live due to various circumstances. Good to hear they are good live. I'm missing woodsist fest though (it's right after I see em). It seems like it would be so much fun, it is just too expensive though.

Recently added...

Fyf fest - two days this year, lineup is unreal (will post what im looking forward to when it's closer, as right now I'd just end up writing down 30 or so bands - the big one for me is Dinosaur Jr, but really the entire undercard is awesomeness).
The Allah Las at the Hammer Museum
Might get to see Beach House at the wiltern on July 3rd - more excited to see Wild Nothing than Beach House if I get to go (it sold out pretty much instantly - I have a friend who got a few extras though, so one might be coming my way :) )
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Emmylou Harris tonight with the parents and sister at the Frederick Mejier Gardens in Grand Rapids. I am quite beside myself - - I've loved her voice since I was 4 hearing her first on the am radio and Grand Ole Opry
I think I feel it coming on
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Lower Dens were great last night. Sound was spot on, nice visuals, they really were creative with the more ambient pieces from Nootropics, played the more energetic tracks from THM and Nootropics to great almost dance-ability, even with Jana's droning, voice (I got to talk to her a bit before the show at the merch booth, in particular about a book I know we both enjoy, the Singularity is Near). Geoff's backing vocals probably could have been a little louder, but they added nice texture, and he was really killing it on bass - fairly simple, repetitive riffs but he was really driving the songs. They played Nootropics pretty much in its entirety. The performance artist guy at the beginning of the show (Alan Resnick) was okay, not particularly funny. Tough crowd though. No Joy absolutely shredded I thought. Plenty of reverb and feedback on everything and vocals that were pretty much unintelligble, but a LOT of fire and intensity. Towards the end of their set, the sound guys immediately put music on over the PA, but they just stayed on stage and kept on tuning for the next song wordlessly (as they had been the whole set) - the sound guys even went on the PA and were saying they were five minutes over. Without even acknowledging them No Joy just blasted into their next song. If they weren't sounding good, it would be annoying, but the 'we don't give a fuck' attitude comes off as pretty cool when you are playing as loud and intensely as they were.

Sorry that turned into a mini review, I just know a lot of people on here are seeing LDs at one point or another.

Last minute a friend just offered me a ticket to see Beach House at the El Rey on Tuesday. That show had sold out in an hour or two (I think tickets went on sale the day before Bloom came out), so it's cool that I just scored some tickets. To be honest, even though I really enjoyed Teen Dream and for the most part Devotion when they each came out, I still haven't listened to Bloom. I should probably get on that. I'm really looking forward to Wild Nothing though - Gemini was great, and I think he's putting something out later this year so hopefully there will be lots of new material.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Shaun wrote:Portishead in France later this month.
So, WOW.

I was privileged to witness a truly exceptional gig in an incredible and a simlpy stunning venue. If I go to any other gigs this year I won't go to a better one. The stage visuals were completely innovative and I've never seen anything like it. Portishead were on great form and the ampitheatre they played at only amplified their sound. Quite amazing. Straight into my top 5 gigs ever. And the 1664 and Grimbergen blanc beers went down too well.

What more can the heart of a man desire?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

P.I.L - Tonight
Death In Vegas
John Cale
Shonen Knife (probably)
Django Django
Dead Can Dance
The Wedding Present playing "Seamonsters".

Also added are Dead Skeletons in September and
Beak in November.
Last edited by sunray on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:Low this Tuesday. Thankfully now playing their own gig instead of the support slot for Explosions In The Sky they were originally booked in for. :D
P.I.L
Death In Vegas
John Cale
Django Django
Dead Can Dance
The Wedding Present playing "Seamonsters".

Possibly have The Fall and Shonen Knife too. Hopefully we'll be putting our Geodesic Dome up again at the Electric Picnic also but it hasn't been confirmed yet though.
Nice. I am going to two of the Dead Can Dance gigs, Dublin, on Haloween I think, and Brussels. I have tickets in the front row dead centre for the Dublin gig, which might make recording a challenge.

Next up on the 4ad resucitation trip is Liz Fraser in London, although I will be 100% sure she won't play until the gig is over.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

After a ridiculous May full of gigs it's been a bit of a drought for me. On the horizon:

Road trip to Seattle:

July 28th - Green Pajamas (Record Release Party & Gig) - Sunset Tavern, Seattle

I am also taking my son to see Iron Maiden on July 30 (also up in Seattle) - so, I guess that counts too.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Gigs on tthe horizon are as follows

Low, tonight at a church in Halifax
Low Anthem@ Kazimier,LIverpool 19th July
Bardo Pond @ Hare and Hounds, Birmingham 1st Aug (unless some further North manifests itself)
Stephen Malkmus @ Deaf Institute, Manchester, 3rd Aug
Sleepy Sun@ kazimier, 11th Sept
Liverpool Pysch Fest 29th Sept