What gigs have you got coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

johnnyboy
Known user

Re: What gigs have you got coming up?

Post by johnnyboy »

Seeing the Jim Jones Revue mentioned a few times in prev posts.......have you seen this http://www.noise11.com/news/the-jim-jon ... y-20121009 . I was at the Southend Pier gig earlier this summer. Really good for a freebie, a mile out to sea. Good vibes and very loud.

Anyone going to see Moon Duo at the London Corsica Studios in Nov? I'm looking to book it up.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion in Dec
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Shinesalight wrote:Hey sm-iom, so what did you make of this year's inaugural Festival Number 6? I went with the Mrs and a couple of friends and we had an amazing time. The site was beautiful wasn't it. All three headliners were amazing, though seeing New Order for the first time was my personal highlight. Would definitely think about going again, even with the price hike, though we're expecting our first baby in mid January so I can't see it happening next year. With regards to the price increase, there's been a lot of moaning about it on their Facebook page. We were lucky and got early bird tickets this year for £100 each so it equates to a £60 increase which does seem to be a tad steep in one year. That said, I think they undercharged this time round to generate a lot of interest and I imagine they didn't exactly make a huge profit if any. Plus, I think they messed up by not letting campers in on the Thursday night so most of Friday the site was pretty sparse due to people travelling to get there. So, there were a few teething problems but that's to be expected with a new set up. Overall though I thought it was fantastic and, for me anyway, it would be hard to beat those 3 headline acts. Even if I don't go next year I'd be keen to see who they're going to get playing this time round.
Fantastic 3-4 days. Was worried Mrs sm wouldn't enjoy, but she did - as much as anything because Portmeirion is one of our favourite places in the world.

Like you, on early bird tickets - so £100 a head was a bargain. Front row for Spz, like you though New Order possibly the highlight, as massive fan in the 80s and thought I'd never get to see them. Mrs sm enjoyed the bands, and even recognised some Scream and NO tracks! With so much extra going on as we'll, that's why we're happy to go back without knowing the lineup. Yes, the price increase is a pain, but it's still only really £50ish a day, and if you get a decent headliner, you'd expect to pay nearly (ish) that for a gig - and they did deliver 90 mins sets.

Good luck with the baby, your life will be great. We're lucky that we're just 40, but are now able to get out and about to things like this, as our oldest is old enough to babysit legally for a whole weekend! It is a family friendly fest, but not baby ideal!

Best

Steve
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

Looking forward to Spz in Warwick. Also Patrick Wolf in December.
Hey Jayne
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Carlton Melton tonight 8) 8) 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Anyone else in the area fancy coming along? My mate who I was going with has rained off with a cold :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Carlton Melton play in Sheffield tomorrow and I can't go which is a shame.

Got Spiritualized and Moon Duo coming up which is good. I am toying with the idea of seeing Boris too and also Rat Scabies with Brian James.

For my sins I am taking the kids to see Connor Maynard in Leeds. My God. My first chart music gig.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Carlton Melton in Liverpool this week. Dead Can Dance in Dublin towards the end of the month. Moon Duo and Spiritualized in Leeds next month (Am also considering the GNOD/J.Cope event in MCR in November - should be a wierd night out). Finally Neil Halstead plays Liverpool in November. And there is also Kandodo in London to think about......
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

O wow just found out about this - seeing Faust on Friday - I'm really excited. I have no idea what to expect in terms of the quality of their live performance - I know I will most likely not have this chance again.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hofstadter wrote:O wow just found out about this - seeing Faust on Friday - I'm really excited. I have no idea what to expect in terms of the quality of their live performance - I know I will most likely not have this chance again.
yeah now that could be very interesting! aren't there two seperate versions of Faust existing at the moment?

possible new additions to my gig list this year are Mono (they are playing a Catherdral in Leicester... still might be a bit far for me to go) and Boris in December.
looks like I'm gonna be missing out on Six Organs, not going to Supersonic the day they are playing and don't think funds will stretch to making the trip to Nottingham especially for it.. shame as not sure if they will ever be touring again with this Comets/Six Organs setup
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:possible new additions to my gig list this year are Mono (they are playing a Catherdral in Leicester... still might be a bit far for me to go) and Boris in December.
Mono in a cathedral? :shock: 8) You have to go! Saw them once before and they were amazing. Really looking forward to their Dublin date in December.
Also hoping Boris play Dublin a few days later as they have a 2 day gap between their Leeds and Cork dates. I would find it very surprising if they played Cork only.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

bloody skint ,but tickets bought for Ty Segal next month, really looking forward to this my fav. new artist this year!! next weeks pay will have to cover Moon Duo as I`m not missing that , the 2 are on the same weekend , you wait ages for a bus then ... same thing happened earlier this year in March, Spiritualized , Lanegan and White Hills in the one week ,bought the tickets and a dickhead co pilot let me down the week before ,found late replacements but needless to say the clown aint going with me next month ,his loss....
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Really enjoyed Carlton Melton last night. In particular, the drones they managed to set up on the opening couple of tunes were simply spectacular. There was a quite surprising change in direction when their drummer stopped playing guitar and started drumming. I've not tagged them as an out-and-out rock band, but they played a couple of pieces that would not have been out of place in a White Hills or The Heads set. I was very surprised that CM were playing support to Acid Mothers Temple who did nothing for me. Decent venue too, with great beer and a nice vibe.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, I must add how great Carlton Melton were in Brighton on Tuesday night. I love the fact they go from the first couple of numbers of droney psych stuff to the full on assault of some of the latter numbers. I think the drummer is so much fun to watch. Still can't put names to songs apart from the final blast of When You're In which was monumental. Also managed to pick up the Photos of Photos LP with the additional 12" which I'm playing now and sounds incredible. Actually their whole merch stall was pretty impressive I must say and I had to use all my will power not to spend a fortune. Can't recommend these guys highly enough.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Yeah, I must add how great Carlton Melton were in Brighton on Tuesday night. I love the fact they go from the first couple of numbers of droney psych stuff to the full on assault of some of the latter numbers. I think the drummer is so much fun to watch. Still can't put names to songs apart from the final blast of When You're In which was monumental. Also managed to pick up the Photos of Photos LP with the additional 12" which I'm playing now and sounds incredible. Actually their whole merch stall was pretty impressive I must say and I had to use all my will power not to spend a fortune. Can't recommend these guys highly enough.
I ended up speaking to all of them before the show. For some reason I imagined Carlton Melton were a bunch of young kids, not three blokes my age. The drummer certainly surprised me when he aplogised in mid-conversation and left to check on their merch stall! Managed to pick up the aQ Hits CD from record store day, which I had not known about, and a decent t-shirt. Thankfully, I had all the vinyl on the stall or it would have been a pricey night out. £9 on the door, decent beer, nice people to talk to, and a phenomenal show. Get out and see them if you can!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Going a bit old skool this week with solo gigs by Mark Gardener on Thursday night and Tim Burgess on Saturday night. It's going to be a bit like a low key version of the classic Ride/Charlatans Daytripper gigs back in the early 90's! 8)

Then of course it's a Spiritualized double header next week as I'm lucky enough to be going to see them in London and Brighton. 8) 8) 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Carlton Melton in Hebden Bridge was a bit special, venue is fantastic, crowd were hugely appreciative of the band who put on a great show, always happy to have a word as well the lads pre and post gig, I also picked up the dvd RSD release.

Set list was Photos of photos, Smoke Drip, Space Treader, March Of The Cicades, When Your'e In, Time we left The World Today

Possibly one of my favourite live bands ever
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Mark Gardener solo gig last night was thoroughly enjoyable...just him and an acoustic 12 string guitar. I'm sure he played five Ride numbers (from memory they were Polar Bear, Twisterella, Drive Blind, Vapour Trail and From Time to Time) and he was on really good form. When he first started talking about Ride before playing Polar Bear I shouted out "when's the reunion?" To which he replied "you'll have to ask Andy but I think he's too busy with Beady Eye" before adding that he was in a really good place at the moment and was enjoying just playing on his own. I know I've mentioned it loacs of times before, but it would be really great to see them all together again though wouldn't it?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Sun Araw tonight
Tame Impala twice next week.... this is something that for a solid three years ending around half a year I would have been mindbogglingly excited for/waiting for so long for... I'm still pretty excited, don't quite know what to expect. I'm hoping I find a new appreciation for the new material after hearing it live.
Ty Segall in a month
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've actually heard some really negative things about Tame Impala live- people saying they were really dull and stuff. will be interested to hear your thoughts.

also Ads, thanks for the report on Mark Gardener. being a huge Ride fan I'd definitely try and catch him if he played near me, however I'm curious what the songs would sound like stripped of all the noise, and in all honesty he hasn't got the strongest voice in the world. cheeky of you to ask about the reunion haha
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

angelsighs wrote:I've actually heard some really negative things about Tame Impala live- people saying they were really dull and stuff. will be interested to hear your thoughts.
Seeing them tonight, that'll be a first for me too. I don't think we're getting the Amazing in support unfortunately, but still looking forward to it. I loved Innerspeaker, but I'm yet to really get into Lonerism though.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Sun Araw was fantastic and unique as always in the live show... it was in a pretty private setting, this art/creative house called HM157 - it was almost like a house party (although not very party-ish at all). It was very spooky/cool inside, nice lighting interesting stuff on the walls... fun place to see a tiny show the week after halloween. Hung out on the porch with Mitchell (Nanny Cantaloupe, the guy who was DJ-ing the night, from dublab) while he was just playing some tunes - good to catch up - once he started his tape manipulation he was so fucking on point. Far. Out. Mind warping stuff. It was great. It was really funny actually, I was just standing in the room with the gear leaning up against a wall as Alex (Deep Magic) was setting up his lapsteel and looping stuff and one of the guys playing later in the evening came up to me and very quietly asked if... Alex was playing already but it was just Mitchell :lol: . I thought that was pretty funny that he couldn't tell.

But yeah, Alex, who plays with Sun Araw, had his own solo performance first. I had never seen him solo before. It was excellent - right around the end of the first jam, everything clicked into place wonderfully. The wall of noise resolved itself into some far off shimmering blissful tune fantastically. It is very hard for me to describe what he was playing with words, since I've never quite heard anything like it before... funny considering the name he performs under and its meaning in computer science. I am very interesting in checking out his solo recorded material.

Sun Araw (Band)... the three of them crowded on the little elevated platform int he living room, weird projections behind them... dark moody vibes in the house... man it was great. There was one moment in the middle where one song just COMPLETELY lost me, it was odd, but besides that everything was grooving. They more or less alternated between noise/sound experiment/ambient type pieces (without the beats or cameron on guitar) and the more song type pieces - it was a really nice dynamic. They probably played 7-8 things total. I hesitate to say he played Ma Holo, or Heavy Deeds because they just sound like totally new songs. What is so amazing and exciting for me about his live show is the way you hear out of the ether these little bits and pieces that you know slowly emerging out of these unreal jams, but when they do finally appear they are totally warped and its like her a brand new song. I really really really wish I had recorded the show. There were probably five songs and three ambient pieces - I've seen him play Like Wine a few times, and this was NOTHING like any of those - it was barely the same song, but it was amazing. He actual experimented with making his vocals super clear for part of it, it was crazy cool. One of the other songs was something that I've sort of heard him play live before but I don't think its on any of the records/eps or anything. I could be wrong though. He ended with something that I guess you could call Impluvium, but only in the sense that it just turned into a massive dance freakout (if only it wasn't the ten or so of us in the front who felt that way!) and had one or two elements of the song. I guess that's really it - I love the way that just out of one or two familiar elements they create things totally new.

It wasn't as towering as the show at the loft over the summer, and it had much more noise/was much more chaotic even in the song pieces, but when they honed in on those mighty grooves coming from the deep they were on the money.

I had to get my friends home by 1 or so (they had each dropped quite a bit of stuff in the morning, and I figured between Deep Magic and Sun Araw, I think that was a whole world of sonic stimulation that would be enough for quite a while - I think it was time for them to just cruise through mellowness for the rest of the night at that point). It was well past 12 as well, and I had seen what I really wanted to see, so even though I missed the other two performers who I didn't know, oh well.
flokie wrote:
angelsighs wrote:I've actually heard some really negative things about Tame Impala live- people saying they were really dull and stuff. will be interested to hear your thoughts.
Seeing them tonight, that'll be a first for me too. I don't think we're getting the Amazing in support unfortunately, but still looking forward to it. I loved Innerspeaker, but I'm yet to really get into Lonerism though.
How was it?
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Hofstadter wrote:
flokie wrote:
How was it?
Good but not brilliant! Bear in mind this was 2 days after seeing Spiritualized so they started at a disadvantage. I also think it had been a long time since I'd last been to a Sat. night show at a venue the size of the ABC, and when you've got a band whose albums are titled Innerspeaker and Lonerism that seems a bit of a mismatch!

As I mentioned I wasn't too sure about Lonerism before the gig and this didn't make me like it more. The early singles and even a lot of Innerspeaker has this easy-going feel to it, like the songs were just the result of the band jamming and seeing where it takes them - and I find there's no such thing with the newer material. I got tired of the reverb on Kevin's vocals very quickly, and there a short instrumental/synth led jam that sounded like the worst of the 70s to me. I kinda wish they let loose live more often than they did, and that didn't seem to happen for quite a while but when it did they were superb: Elephant was a lot of fun, loved Alter Ego and Desire Be Desire Go, and it was all rounded up with a brilliant encore of Half Full Glass of Wine.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ty Segal on friday,really looking forward to this,if I can stretch the finances and control the swallowing ,Moon Duo on monday at the same venue ,partnered up for Ty Segal but may have to do Moon Duo solo,haven`t done that in a while ,but hey ho ,really want to see them ,I`ll be the grey headed dude at the back nursing a water:(
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

haha it's pretty much the other way round here. Moon Duo for sure on Monday, and considering Ty Segall tomorrow, but that one may have to be solo, in which case I'll be the woman at the front holding a pint :D

edit: actually it looks like the Ty Segall gig is sold out.
Last edited by flokie on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ty Segall tonight @ Deaf Institute, Manchester. Support from some band :wink: called The hookworms. What a bill that is, cant wait.

Next Thursday off to the sleepy town of Wrexham for the quite splendid Moon Duo, hoping they play lots of new stuff, album is outstanding.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

seeing free-jazz band Supersilent on Wednesday night. they will be joined by none other than John Paul Jones on bass. should be interesting at the very least!
improv is a dodgy area, but I had one of their albums on last night and rather enjoyed it. not a million miles away from Jason's work with Spring Heel Jack.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ty Segall on friday night , loved it ,a 75 min. ball of garage energy , sound was awesome , he really is quiet a guitar player , when they really went for it, man it was loud , sold out ,but I managed to squeeze down right to the front despite my aggrophobia in a low cellar type room,couldn`t help feeling old as the kids went nuts!! ... fuck it I loved the music ,couldn`t really tell you what he played as his catologue is so vast ,knew about half ,the stuff from this year mainly , christ a gig like that blows the cobwebs away , the sweat was running out the crack of my ars.... for the first time in a while my head was still ringing this morning!! subsided a bit tonight though, only minus was he never played The Hill ,probably my fav. song this year, but I managed to grab the 7" on the way out so that was cool , spoke to a couple of the band pre show whilst having a pre-show smoke ," you hear to see the band boys?... uh,...we`re in it man " soon as the dude said it I recognized the bass player , cool guys though ,spoke to them for 5 mins. or so ... not sure they understood much of what I said though ,christ this heavy Scottish accent can make you feel like a pleb sometimes, but the venue was new only opened on the 27th of last month and I`ll be back for Moon Duo on monday,
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Dirty Three and a couple of Kraftwerk shows. Not many shows coming up but what shows they are!
jwilder
Known user

Post by jwilder »

I'm excited for A Place To Bury Strangers tonight in Buffalo.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Nov. 25 - Chris Robinson Brotherhood

8)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:Nov. 25 - Chris Robinson Brotherhood

8)
:mrgreen:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Supersilent (w/ John Paul Jones)) were okay the other night, improvised music is a new area to me but there were definitely bits I was digging among the aimless noodling (mainly the mournful trumpet parts and one bit of lovely picking JPJ was doing near the end).

gigs starting to get lined up for next year- BRMC and Swans
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The next two weeks of gigs are really at opposite ends of the scale; This week I have Rodriguez, Shuggie Otis (on his birthday apparently) and Sly and Robbie with Ernest Ranglin.
The following week it's Mono, Subhumans and Boris! :lol:

Only possible gig left for 2012 after that lot is Lower Dens, still not decided on that one yet though.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - TONIGHT

:D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

redcloud wrote:Chris Robinson Brotherhood - TONIGHT

You lucky, lucky man :mrgreen:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

The Fall-tonight at Fac251 Manchester.

update on my current list of gigs scheduled

Dec 5th-Raveonettes-Erics, Liverpool
Dec 12/13 either Manchester or Liverpool-The Allah Las
Feb 1st-Dinosaur Jr-Manchester Ritz
Feb 16th-Calexico-Manchester Ritz
Feb 28th-Exit Calm-Manchester Deaf Institute (early Verve and some, these are great)
Mar 21st-Yo La Tengo-Manchester Ritz
Mar 24th-BRMC-Manchester Ritz
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:The Fall-tonight at Fac251 Manchester.

update on my current list of gigs scheduled

Dec 5th-Raveonettes-Erics, Liverpool
Dec 12/13 either Manchester or Liverpool-The Allah Las
Feb 1st-Dinosaur Jr-Manchester Ritz
Feb 16th-Calexico-Manchester Ritz
Feb 28th-Exit Calm-Manchester Deaf Institute (early Verve and some, these are great)
Mar 21st-Yo La Tengo-Manchester Ritz
Mar 24th-BRMC-Manchester Ritz
nice list there. thanks for the heads up on Exit Calm touring, I've added their B'ham gig to my list too. early Verve is right, they are basically a more muscular version of A Storm In Heaven. nothing new but they are good at it. and I've got BRMC lined up too. next year is taking shape!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote:
redcloud wrote:Chris Robinson Brotherhood - TONIGHT

You lucky, lucky man :mrgreen:
CRB last night were, yet again, brilliant. Two sets that were long and jammy...especially during the second set. 'Star or Stone' had the most beautiful guitar solo by Casal. It alone was worth the price of admission. They also did a pretty interesting version of the Jerry Garcia Band/Dead song 'The Wheel' (from Garcia's 1st solo LP).

MacDougall's keys were very, very dominant. They sound like they have come straight out of '77/'Terrapin Station' era Dead. As expected, 'Vibration Light Suite' went super crazy...soaring and swirling but then crashing back down with the heavy moog sounds you could feel in your bones. Very complicated stuff he was playing.

Crowd was mainly 40's+ (some younger, some older...but most were old school Crowes fans). Robinson is looking more and more like a total hippie. Long, straggly, unkempt beard, long hair in ponytail and physically quite gaunt. The whole band are quite the hairy mob...lots of long hair and beards. Looking around the audience most of the gents also had long hair or beards (or both)!

Just like last year, roadie came on and lit some incense, put it in a large owl on one of the amps and then the band came on with large puffs of marijuana smoke following them. Once they kicked it the crowd were dancing and moving along and loving absolutely every note. A brief intermission separated the two 1 hour 20min sets so with encore the gig was nearly three hours.

Good gig and I haven't been to a show with that much dope being smoked since....the last time I saw CRB! 8)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

That sounds like the great gig in the sky to me! :D 8) :lol: "Star Or Stone" and "Vibration Light Suite" are fabulous live tracks... witnessing them would be something else!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

like a few others here , tickets are purchased for the BRMC next Mar. love this band live,had tickets 2 Xmas`s past that went unused due freak snow storms , so looking forward to this, some thing else might pop up before but probably not this year , managed a pretty sheepish 6 gigs this year, but as I get older it seems par for the course, but they were all quality :D
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

nick cave and the bad seeds with sharon van etten opening at the chicago theater (a seated venue with amazing sound)- YES PLEASE! the presale is happening tomorrow. pretty psyched about this.
also tame impala are coming through again in march and are playing at the vic, which is a great place to see shows.
sigur ros at UIC pavilion (which i've never been to) the day after nick cave- not sure if i should go to this- i've seen them three times now and this show costs almost $50...
twenty6dollars
New user

Post by twenty6dollars »

We're being quite spoilt down here in Oz of late and in the next few months...

Last week was Spiritualized and Primal Scream - saw Spz twice, flew to Brisbane to check out a more intimate show, and they didn't disappoint. Unfortunately in Melbourne, they did disappoint - Jason's array of pedals just weren't cooperating, which was a terrible shame, and killed the momentum - you've gotta realise, we only get to see these guys twice a decade, so a bad show really lingers...

But to the future - January sees Beach House at the Forum, Melbourne's best venue.

Then Norman Blake and Joe Pernice, and a few days later, Woods

February we get My Bloody Valentine - and the last time they were here was for Isn't Anything, you can carbon date that shit...

In Feb I also get to see The Wedding Present for the first time - playing The Hit Parade

March gets busy, and sees Wild Nothing come to town, for their maiden voyage to the Antipodes.

The big one in March is The Stone Roses - saw em in 94, but no Reni. Just the thought of being in the same room as Reni drumming makes me feel a little tingly...

Also Wilco, playing the delightful Hamer Hall.

And thats it - Dan
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that's a pretty good list Dan! must be a pain having to wait a number of years for bands to pass through.. I'm never gonna moan again!

got Boris tonight.. never seen them before, I'm guessing it will be pretty heavy! :)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

It's Christmas time...here in Portland that means the annual Dandy Warhols gigs around town. My 12 year old son is digging on them. Last year I took him to see them and he loved it. So, on Sunday (12/16) I'm taking him to see them again but with the added bonus of his girlfriend coming along as well. Her mother said she has only ever seen one concert (Coldplay) and it was a huge arena style concert. Dandy's is in a small bar (300 or so) that wont sell drinks so that they can allow for all ages and early gig (5pm-7'ish). My son tells me his girl can't stop talking about how excited she is about going. :D
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Never reported on the the Tame Impala shows - I won't bore you with a super long posts, but let me say, they were excellent, and totally reminded me why I loved them so much for so long. Lonerism has certainly finally been able to hit me somewhere, and I am for the most part really diggin' it now (pretty much only with the exception of Elephant).

Deep Magic/Eternal Tapestry tomorrow night - should be some good mindblazing fun. Heard there is going to be a special guest, hoping its Wooden Shjips.

Ty Segall/Night Beats/Pangea/Bleached on Saturday. Should be a pretty rockin' night.

Shapin' up to be a great weekend to celebrate college bizness.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

added to next years gigs- Robin Guthrie/Mark Gardener, and also Thurston Moore is playing a solo show (more song based than noise based by the looks of it). still deliberating whether to make the journey up north for MBV.
Hofstadter wrote:Never reported on the the Tame Impala shows - I won't bore you with a super long posts, but let me say, they were excellent, and totally reminded me why I loved them so much for so long. Lonerism has certainly finally been able to hit me somewhere, and I am for the most part really diggin' it now (pretty much only with the exception of Elephant).
Lonerism has grown on me a little but I still think it's nowhere near as good as the first album, which was packed with great moments and hooks. on the new one Be Above It, Feel Like We Only Go Backwards, and Nothing That Has Happened.. are highlights but overall it doesn't measure up. I don't really like Elephant much either...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Santa Claus brought my 12 year old son tickets to see Soundgarden on Feb. 6. So, I will be taking him to see them.

Eels - Feb. 18 (I respect and admire E's music so much that I'm dragging both my kids to see them...again).

Has yet to be announced but Black Crowes sometime in 2013 will be added to that list.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Thurston Moore with John Moloney from Sunburned Hand Of The Man on Jan 19th. The Jim Jones Revue a week later rescheduled from October, High Wolf the following night ( this date was announced before the tour got cancelled but ticket prices were only put up after so who knows if it's actually happening or not? :? )
Dan Deacon, Lee Perry, Arbouretum, Zion Train, Yo La Tengo, The Specials and possibly Stealing Sheep or The Joy Formidable which are on the same night in two different parts of the same venue complex.
Oh yeah, and Body and Soul festival in June which i picked up a ticket for a few weeks ago.

Far more than I was expecting to be looking at at this point in time.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Few Low shows on the way now, Yo La Tengo too.

Stoked to see Kraftwerk next week, can't come soon enough.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

^^^^ stoked to hear about Kraftwerk/live vicariously.

Jan. 17th - Yo La Tengo - it's only an instore at Amoeba (they are doing a whole series of instore/release parties) - but I am incredibly excited...

In February...
Sun Araw (also playing at that show is Sir Richard Bishop and OM - two of the guys from Sleep)
Beak> - first time they've been in LA in the past year or so, really excited for this as well! I just mention "in the past year" because I am so glad this board got me to finally listen to 'em and as a result love 'em.
Iceage - nordic punk... didn't see them when they were touring for the first album, I can't imagine they disappoint... hopefully there will just be lots of teenagers round my age at the show thrashing about... looking forward to that...

March
Tamaryn - saw 'em three years ago as the first of a few opening acts at a show, remember thinking they have some promise and being excited for that first record when it came out, sort of fell by the wayside, cool they are pickin' up some steam this year with Tender New Signs. Still haven't listened to it to be honest. Should get on that soon. People on here seem to be liking it, so that's a v. good sign.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Fantastic news this morning: Michael Rother is coming to Dublin in April playing the songs of Neu!, Harmonia and solo material with Camera as his backing band! :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:Fantastic news this morning: Michael Rother is coming to Dublin in April playing the songs of Neu!, Harmonia and solo material with Camera as his backing band! :D
Any other dates? I can't find much info on this tour. The Camera album was one of my highlights of 2012 so I'd love to catch this package...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

At the Moon duo gig @ wrexham Central Station, there was a flier up for a date there, it was a saturday I think, Feb or March, will have a scan now
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Saturday 27th april to be exact
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Apart from Dublin all i've managed to track down are the Wrexham date and Roadburn, all in April. I'd be surprised if there wasn't any more announced.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm planning a drinks/gig combo to go out and wet baby Dylan's head. Eat Lights;Become Lights are playing a rare Brighton gig on Feb 1st... I think that ticks quite a few boxes :wink: :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

this has not been the best few days for me- i found out about the spiritualized american dates very late- found the listing for a show here at the end of march and then read the cancellation notice within a few hours. kind of an emotional roller coaster.

i'd been looking forward to going to tame impala who are playing at the beginning of march, but i went to buy tickets today and they had just sold out the day before. the ticket brokering websites are crawling with them, as is craigslist, but it's impossible to find a ticket for under $70 and there's no way i'm paying that much. i might still try to find someone selling them at cost on the day of, but otherwise i get the feeling i might've missed my window to see them live.

other than i'm going to veronica falls at the empty bottle in march and nick cave & the bad seeds in april.

i was thinking of going to BRMC (which was just announced)- they're playing on my birthday and i already asked for that day and the next day off at work. i haven't heard anything they've done since 'howl,' though.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Eels on March 18. First gig of 2013, assuming nothing appears at the last minute, and I cannot wait to see our generation's finest songwriter and his band of bearded maniacs play again :D
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm thinking about seeing Nick Cave at the Fonda Theatre in LA next month. Tickets go on sale tomorrow and are $160 including the service charge.

:shock:

It'll be "intimate," but jesus christ...$160?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

For the Fonda too! Tickets are normally like 20 bucks there... and if they are selling the whole thing out, intimate isn't really the word I would use for it... I mean there's a balcony...

Just got back from Yo La Tengo at amoeba - only 6 songs, but man where they good - I'll Be Around was absolutely beautiful - I don't know how James could play so steady on the same thing for the 7 or so minutes that the song lasted, but he was such a rock solid core there... the acoustic guitar was going through a line 6 delay (that pedal is SO much fun to mess with, I've been seeing it at so many shows lately, but Ira's looked ancient and beaten up) and it just added so much dimension to the song... I feel like they played it a little slower than on the record, and it just made it even more emotional... Georgia was playing so soft and just brought this incredibly calming, soothing feeling to it... it really was quite perfect. And then the fact that they could immediately go into such a noisy song right after and still somehow have it make perfect sense... I love them.

I talked to them for a while after and felt very starstruck... Ira asked James onstage what was the best thing he found at amoeba, and he said Suzanne Ciani's Lixiviation and a new Daphne Oram thing, to which nobody in the whole crowd responded (dead silence) except me and I was literally right next to the stage and felt very awkward, but then afterwards as I was walking by them in the back James motioned to me and we talked for a while about them... we actually had both recently heard that Oram BBC thing that I posted in the other thread, so that was cool... on the inside I was sort of screaming like a girl... tried to keep it cool but I have a feeling I had a shit-eating grin that I couldn't wipe off my face... they told me they'll be back in LA in may... I had mentioned to him my school radio station and he said if I emailed them they might try to do something with us when they are back... I am so happy right now...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

mc wrote:Eels on March 18. First gig of 2013, assuming nothing appears at the last minute, and I cannot wait to see our generation's finest songwriter and his band of bearded maniacs play again :D
Right on, man! Totally agree with you on Mark Everett's songwriting. My wife and I are seeing him exactly one month before you. We're taking our 12 and 15 year old kids too (they have seen Eels before on the 'Tremendous Dynamite' 2011 tour). I think I have only missed one Eels tour since 1996. Looking forward to the new album too. 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice story Hofstadter! I could have met James and Georgia myself a few years back myself.. at ATP I was having a wonder and saw them just walking around the empty main hall. but I was too shy to go up to them! I'm going to grab the new album after work tonight (from a proper record store..don't want them going the same way as HMV!!)

as for my forthcoming gigs.. just bought my ticket to MBV in Birmingham.. not cheap either :( it better be good!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

redcloud wrote:
mc wrote:Eels on March 18. First gig of 2013, assuming nothing appears at the last minute, and I cannot wait to see our generation's finest songwriter and his band of bearded maniacs play again :D
Right on, man! Totally agree with you on Mark Everett's songwriting. My wife and I are seeing him exactly one month before you. We're taking our 12 and 15 year old kids too (they have seen Eels before on the 'Tremendous Dynamite' 2011 tour). I think I have only missed one Eels tour since 1996. Looking forward to the new album too. 8)
Me too. Not long now :) Hope you and the family enjoy the gig, looking forward to hearing what E offers us this time...

Now Eels won't be my first gig of 2013, though - this morning The Twilight Sad announced two low-key February shows in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and I'm going to the latter :)

Also going to see Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band in June.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'm going to see Lee Scratch Perry for the first time ever on Valentines Day. Bizarrely he's playing locally to me in Essex at the indie disco venue I used to go to in my late teens/early 20's. I've not set foot in there since the mid 90's so should be interesting. I know he's quite a 'character' but does this result in bad show? Would be good to hear peoples views who've seen him before. Loads of friends going so will be a great evening whatever happens.

Booked to see Sun Araw at Corsica Studios as well, 18th April, the one with Sonic Boom DJ'ing. Plus MBV in March, first night at Hammersmith.

I may invest in some nice earplugs for these gigs. Bass heavy vibrations for Lee and Sun Araw, and the usual assault from MBV. I hear (ahem) that E20's are good, or something like that??
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

johnnyboy wrote:I'm going to see Lee Scratch Perry for the first time ever on Valentines Day. Bizarrely he's playing locally to me in Essex at the indie disco venue I used to go to in my late teens/early 20's. I've not set foot in there since the mid 90's so should be interesting. I know he's quite a 'character' but does this result in bad show? Would be good to hear peoples views who've seen him before. Loads of friends going so will be a great evening whatever happens
I've found him hit and miss but I shall be going to see him for the 6th time on the 16th. There's a Lee Perry thread in the gigs section, with more views and details. After all this time I still don't know how to do the 'viewtopic' thing :oops:

You definitely won't need earplugs for him though.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Hofstadter wrote:the acoustic guitar was going through a line 6 delay (that pedal is SO much fun to mess with, I've been seeing it at so many shows lately, but Ira's looked ancient and beaten up)
they're great, but notorious for breaking down without warning. i guess that's the reason it's unusual to see an old one. i'll bet the one you saw has had a few breakdowns/repairs in its time.