What gigs have you got coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Re: What gigs have you got coming up?

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:I'm going to see Lee Scratch Perry for the first time ever on Valentines Day. Bizarrely he's playing locally to me in Essex at the indie disco venue I used to go to in my late teens/early 20's. I've not set foot in there since the mid 90's so should be interesting. I know he's quite a 'character' but does this result in bad show? Would be good to hear peoples views who've seen him before. Loads of friends going so will be a great evening whatever happens
I've found him hit and miss but I shall be going to see him for the 6th time on the 16th. There's a Lee Perry thread in the gigs section, with more views and details. After all this time I still don't know how to do the 'viewtopic' thing :oops:

You definitely won't need earplugs for him though.
He was magical the timeI saw him. Just stripped down heavy roots with a bit of dub. His band were shit hot.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Eat Lights;Become Lights making a rare appearance down here in Brighton tonight. Looking forward to it, especially as its a kind of "wetting the baby's head" night out. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Peter Hook and Simon Reynolds doing a q&a/book signing tonight at Skylight Books... Not sure who id be more excited to see :lol: they said there's going to be a big line/not everyone will get in and I have something to do right before, so I'm afraid I'll miss it :(
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Holy holy.... Just got an email from the echo saying spectrum will be playing there April 23rd.... I cannot wait for Saturday morning when tickets go on sale.... This is amazing news, looking like I'm not going to be able to go to APF, and what with people wondering if the end of spectrum is near i was pretty bummed by the thought that i might never get to see pk as spectrum.... Honestly so happy right now.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Latest additions to the list:
Thee Oh Sees in May. Can't wait for this, saw them once before and they were fantastic. :D
The Breeders playing Last Splash in June. It's on a Friday night two days after my exams end, so why not?
Also looking at Kid Congo & The Pink Monkey Birds in March but not got a ticket yet.

Turning out to be quite a busy year.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm taking my son to see Soundgarden tonight (Feb. 6).

I was never a big fan of them but he likes them and the tickets were his Christmas pressie from us.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

White Hills announced for Glasgow on Sun 9th April... at the Broadcast venue apparently...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hofstadter wrote:Peter Hook and Simon Reynolds doing a q&a/book signing tonight at Skylight Books... Not sure who id be more excited to see :lol: they said there's going to be a big line/not everyone will get in and I have something to do right before, so I'm afraid I'll miss it :(
can you tell us more about how this went? Simon Reynolds is one of my favourite music writers.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

hey sorry I missed this. I didn't get there in time car got a flat tire it was a bit of a bummer. I just had bad luck the past week or two. The book signing was still going on once I had finally parked but I didn't really feel like shelling out for the book so I just sorta poked my head around the store for a while and just watched 'em for a while. Oh well. Ya win some ya lose some.

Beak> tomorrow night!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Just booked Allah Las at Camden Dingwalls for May. Missed out on the last show in London due to it selling out so really looking forward to this one.

For the first time in ages I actually have a run of decent gigs to look forward to - Lee Scratch Perry, MBV, Sun Araw, Allah Las. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Thee Oh Sees play a London date when they're over. That'd be the cherry on top of the cream.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I've got a few things booked for April.

Six Spiritualized shows ( :oops: ) and possibly Nick Cave in Seattle, which works perfectly into my schedule. Then two days after I get back, I am for sure seeing Nick Cave in San Diego.

April is going to be great. 8)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

At the moment...

Eels - Feb. 18
Spiritualized - April 9.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Calexico tomorrow (Saturday), Hookworms/Early Years in London on Thursday for the Pysch for sore eyes release party (just received mine yesterday and it looks awesome.
After that I have Exit Calm, Clinic(with Mugstar supporting), Yo la tengo, BRMC and Black Crowes. Maybe Eeels as well !

Also Anthroproth and White Hills. Busy Busy
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Black Crowes tickets for Manchester arrived today. Exciting stuff.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I have

the psyche for sore eyes gig in London next week
Dexys at the Duke of York Theatre in the west end
Back with Mods - weekend festival at Santa Pod
The Specials at Margate
Truck festival - Horrors headlining
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at Hammersmith in October
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

bevis frond!!
1st of may, trix, antwerp (B)
"Thank you"
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Clinic and MBV in March, ...Trail of Dead in April. White Hills in April very likely too.
Clinic and Exit Calm have their Glasgow gigs on the same night, so that wasn't the easiest choice :?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Eels......tonight! :D
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Sun Araw at CFAER (Sir Richard Bishop as well + OM headlining) tonight
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

redcloud wrote:Eels......tonight! :D
How was it? Can't wait until next month :D

I'm still digesting Wonderful, Glorious. There are some wonderful tracks on it - Peach, Blossom, The Turnaround and the title track spring instantly to mind. Some of it sounds like by-numbers Eels, but that means it's still good stuff and enjoyable to listen to. As ever with E, I think it'll be a grower. I've only listened to the second disc once so far, but I really enjoyed what I heard.

Gigwise, I've just added The Wildhearts to my list. It's one of the "Earth Vs. The Wildhearts" 20th anniversary shows. Can't wait!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

mc wrote:
redcloud wrote:Eels......tonight! :D
How was it? Can't wait until next month :D
If a gig can be summed up in one song....well, 'Trouble with Dreams' is it. It was absolutely stunning and it will blow you away! The beauty of this band is that they constantly re-work old familiar tunes and make them fresh again. The band is now a five-piece...no horns and no keys. So, three guitars and any song with keys is played through the guitars making it sound really cool (eg. 'Trouble with Dreams', which is mind blowing and 'The Sound of Fear', which ends with a blistering solo that sounded like the Electric Prunes!). They also did a medley/mixed up version of 'My Beloved Monster' and 'Mr. E's Beautiful Blues', which somehow worked perfectly. They threw in a couple great cover tunes, which worked better than the 'Summer in the City' covers played a couple years ago. This time it was a rockin' version of Fleetwood Mac's 'Oh Well' and a great singalong version of Small Faces, 'Itchykoo Park'.

I know what you mean about the new album, but the new songs sounded super great last night. Mainly because they rocked them out and The Chet uses some mean fuzz with a beautiful warm tone. But, even the mellow songs like 'The Turnaround' had a new dimension to them. They played for just under 2 hours - the drum kit was on a riser to the left...E on a riser to the right, the other three on risers in the back. Be prepared for some good lights and healthy strobe action during 'Fresh Blood' and 'Souljacker'! Oh, and gone are the boiler suits/bandannas or business suits....they are all wearing matching Adidas track suits this time around but still have the sunglasses. :lol:

Here's somewhat of a spoiler though (but, don't turn away from this part).....they play three encores. However, after the second encore the lights go on, music is played and people start filing out. My son and I went down to the stage to see if we could get a set list (we couldn't) and they came back out with only half the crowd, roadies still pulling gaffa tape off etc. ! We were directly under Mark as they played a killer version of 'Stick Together' and then a jammy fun chant tune called 'Go EELS' with the house lights on and only about half the crowd! At the end of it Mark drops his pick in front of my son who grabbed it! :D

I think this is all part of the set...so, remember this next month - DON'T leave after the second encore!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the warlocks apr. 21st @ subterranean- tickets bought! can't believe it's been almost four years since the last time i saw them.

also a dilemma-
black rebel motorcycle club are playing here on my birthday. haven't heard anything they've done since 'howl' but think it might be fun to finally catch them live as i like the first three albums more and more. my cousin is getting married on the day after my birthday out in monterey. it'll cost $550 to fly to it and i'd have to leave on my birthday at night. my wife can't afford to go with me (even if she could there's nowhere for us both to stay with any modicum of privacy) and in order for me to go i would have to max out one of my credit cards that i finally chipped down to a manageable balance. should i be selfish and skip the wedding and enjoy my birthday here in town with my wife and catch BRMC or should i max out my credit card to go to an incredibly religious wedding while sleeping on the floor of a house that my parents are renting for the week out there? when it's all written out the choice seems obvious enough. i usually only have a fun birthday once every 5-10 years it seems- i should probably make it a priority at this point.

also, i'm still going to try to get a ticket for tame impala on march 6th. this stop of theirs has a very 'now or never' kind of feeling- they seem to be leaving earth on a comet.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Dude, don't max out your credit card to go to the wedding! Your family should understand. BTW, were you at the Double Door Warlocks show for the Phoenix album? That must have been 2003 or something like that? I recall that being a pretty awesome show.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah my choice would be to treat yourself to the gig.. considering the expense and hassle involved getting to the wedding, they should understand.

I'd also thoroughly recommend BRMC as a live act. I'm not even that a big fan of them so it's not me being biased. when I saw them on the last tour they were great- tight and clear sounding, with a setlist that covered their whole catalogue.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Hookworms . Nottingham . tomorrow.

no offence, i was thoroughly bored by BRMC the 2 times i've seen them. good sound tho...
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote:Dude, don't max out your credit card to go to the wedding! Your family should understand. BTW, were you at the Double Door Warlocks show for the Phoenix album? That must have been 2003 or something like that? I recall that being a pretty awesome show.
i didn't catch them on that tour. i was living in portland then and almost went to their stop there, but didn't end up going for some stupid reason i can't even remember now.

i've seen them six times and only one has been mildly disappointing- that was in 2005 at the metro for 'surgery.' they got a ton of crappy write-ups for that show so the turn-out was really bad. even at that show there were some really great moments that were totally mesmerizing, plus it's the only time i've seen them as a seven piece.

i'm probably going to end up going to BRMC. they're not my favourite band in the world, but i think it might be a fun way to spend my birthday. definitely more fun than spending all day on a plane.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

shalloboi wrote: i'm probably going to end up going to BRMC. they're not my favourite band in the world, but i think it might be a fun way to spend my birthday. definitely more fun than spending all day on a plane.
I think that is a very sensible decision. My take on it would be that I would always avoid the option that leads to me waking up up broke and hungover after a night's "sleep" on the floor, if the alternative is to wake up with the wife.....broke and hungover or not. :D

BMRC were just great the last (only) time I saw them....much better that a wedding, even for a cousin I actually liked! :P
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

busy weekend for gigs coming up- Mark Gardener & Robin Guthrie on Saturday, Exit Calm on Sunday. seen none of these acts before so really looking forward to it.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:busy weekend for gigs coming up- Mark Gardener & Robin Guthrie on Saturday, Exit Calm on Sunday. seen none of these acts before so really looking forward to it.
Exit Calm are ace live.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

shalloboi wrote:i'm probably going to end up going to BRMC. they're not my favourite band in the world, but i think it might be a fun way to spend my birthday. definitely more fun than spending all day on a plane.
Good call Shalloboi. I've seen BRMC twice (once on the Howl tour and once around the time Baby 81 was released) and they were great on both occasions. Much better to go to a potentially brilliant gig on your birthday than spend a fortune on a wedding, with loads of travel and crap sleeping arrangement. You've made the right choice. Have a brilliant time and Happy Birthday in advance.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

redcloud wrote:
If a gig can be summed up in one song....well, 'Trouble with Dreams' is it. It was absolutely stunning and it will blow you away! The beauty of this band is that they constantly re-work old familiar tunes and make them fresh again. The band is now a five-piece...no horns and no keys. So, three guitars and any song with keys is played through the guitars making it sound really cool (eg. 'Trouble with Dreams', which is mind blowing and 'The Sound of Fear', which ends with a blistering solo that sounded like the Electric Prunes!). They also did a medley/mixed up version of 'My Beloved Monster' and 'Mr. E's Beautiful Blues', which somehow worked perfectly. They threw in a couple great cover tunes, which worked better than the 'Summer in the City' covers played a couple years ago. This time it was a rockin' version of Fleetwood Mac's 'Oh Well' and a great singalong version of Small Faces, 'Itchykoo Park'.

I know what you mean about the new album, but the new songs sounded super great last night. Mainly because they rocked them out and The Chet uses some mean fuzz with a beautiful warm tone. But, even the mellow songs like 'The Turnaround' had a new dimension to them. They played for just under 2 hours - the drum kit was on a riser to the left...E on a riser to the right, the other three on risers in the back. Be prepared for some good lights and healthy strobe action during 'Fresh Blood' and 'Souljacker'! Oh, and gone are the boiler suits/bandannas or business suits....they are all wearing matching Adidas track suits this time around but still have the sunglasses. :lol:

Here's somewhat of a spoiler though (but, don't turn away from this part).....they play three encores. However, after the second encore the lights go on, music is played and people start filing out. My son and I went down to the stage to see if we could get a set list (we couldn't) and they came back out with only half the crowd, roadies still pulling gaffa tape off etc. ! We were directly under Mark as they played a killer version of 'Stick Together' and then a jammy fun chant tune called 'Go EELS' with the house lights on and only about half the crowd! At the end of it Mark drops his pick in front of my son who grabbed it! :D

I think this is all part of the set...so, remember this next month - DON'T leave after the second encore!
Oh, this has really whetted my appetite for some Eels action! Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks so much for the tip about the encore. My girlfriend will probably think I'm nuts for suggesting we stay back, but I'll persevere...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

mc wrote: Oh, this has really whetted my appetite for some Eels action! Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks so much for the tip about the encore. My girlfriend will probably think I'm nuts for suggesting we stay back, but I'll persevere...
Dude, it was a really great show and I will be interested to hear your thoughts and review when he rolls into Glasgow. Man, 'Trouble With Dreams' was sooooo good. The three guitars totally turned the song inside out and then represented it to us. The Turnaround' too just builds and builds live and eventually explodes to a mighty finish. Really great and one of the stand out tracks on the new album.

Also, not sure if Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well" will stay in the set, but if so be prepared to rock and swing your ass off to this one! The band totally kick it while Mark shakes and boogies with the maracas! Superb! :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote:
shalloboi wrote:i'm probably going to end up going to BRMC. they're not my favourite band in the world, but i think it might be a fun way to spend my birthday. definitely more fun than spending all day on a plane.
Good call Shalloboi. I've seen BRMC twice (once on the Howl tour and once around the time Baby 81 was released) and they were great on both occasions. Much better to go to a potentially brilliant gig on your birthday than spend a fortune on a wedding, with loads of travel and crap sleeping arrangement. You've made the right choice. Have a brilliant time and Happy Birthday in advance.
I concur , saw BRMC 6 times now , never less than superb as a live band, they`ll be a good night out ,

MBV next month , going solo for the first time in about 10 yr.which should be strange , then BRMC later in the month , both at the Barrowlands, then White Hills in April , nice run of bands :)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

March - June goes like this:

Zion Train
Kid Congo & The Pink Monkey Birds
Yo La Tengo
White Hills
Konono No1
K-X-P
Rocket From The Crypt ( Seems to be conflicting information as to whether this is going ahead or not ).
Michael Rother with Camera
Thee Oh Sees
The Specials
Conflict ( Second ever Irish appearance, the last one in 1984 apparently! Starts at 4pm! with a load of bands playing, including Subhumans ).
No Means No
The Breeders 'Last Splash' (Hoping the Fresh & Onlys are support for this as they announced a gig in Dublin for the same night but all info on that has disappeared)

Also considering Mike Watt's new band, Bob Log III, and Mountain.

2013 is turning out to be a very busy year!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got both Hookworms and White Hills coming up at a lovely little venue down here in Brighton. Just found out that Eternal Tapestry are playing in Brighton in April too so it'll be 3 gigs in 2 weeks if I get a ticket. Will have to make sure I get Mrs Shines a decent Mothers Day pressie to ensure the pass required :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Losing track on whats coming up here, so whilst repeating myself, writing it down at least meands I might remeber whats coming up !!
March (all in manchester) Yo La Tengo, BRMC, EELS, MBV plus Black Crowes in Birmingham

April Hookworms(Manchester), Low (Manchester), Anrthroproph(Chester) and White Hill TBC could be anywhere

May- Thee Oh sees (Leeds), Besnard lakes (Leeds)

June-Neil Young (Birmingham)

July -Mogwai (Manchester doing Zidane soundtarck)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

MBV tomorrow night , really looking forward to it, was the last time/first time they reformed and came to Glasgow really 4/5 yrs. ago? how time f#cking flies, this will be my 5th time seeing them now ... ... spaced over 25 yrs. :?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just seen that The Flaming Lips have been added to the annual Brighton Festival (its more of a mixed arts kinda thing rather than a music festival, and goes on for the whole of May every year). I know they pretty much always split opinion on the forum but I don't think anyone can deny that they put on a great show. I've only seen them once and Mrs Shines has never seen them so may have to get tickets for this.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

GOAT are coming to Chicago on May 2. Super psyched for that.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

still deliberating whether to catch BRMC, Mudhoney, Neil Young, and Trail of Dead. the only one I haven't seen before is Trail of Dead.

definites I've got lined up are Swans and White Hills.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

my nick cave tickets finally came in the mail yesterday. i'm sitting in the fourth row of the orchestra pit! holy crap! i always forget that whenever a band holds a presale for a show that's often where you can get the best seats.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

sunray wrote:
Yo La Tengo
Might see you at this Sunray, should be good, I think Fade is great..
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

tbh am getting a little fed-up w/the touring circuit. barren from about august/sept onwards tl about feb then spring & early summer there's too many gigs end up having to miss out or compromise.
april-may gonna be busy.

white hills
john grant
thee oh sees
bsp
mary gauthier
lucinda williams
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Sun Araw and Pure X on Friday - at a place called the Kibitz Room, it's like a bar thing attached to Canter's Famous Deli, pretty funny location, but super excited!!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Broc wrote:
sunray wrote:
Yo La Tengo
Not tonight you won't anyway! Gig postponed due to adverse weather conditions, they couldn't get over on the ferry. According to ticketmaster there will be a rescheduling announcement on Monday.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

April 9 - Spiritualized
April 16 - The Telescopes, LSD & The Search For God, Night Beats
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

angelsighs wrote:still deliberating whether to catch BRMC, Mudhoney, Neil Young, and Trail of Dead. the only one I haven't seen before is Trail of Dead.

Swans are a real treat. Just an incredible live band right now. Bring earplugs!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

toomilk wrote:
angelsighs wrote:still deliberating whether to catch BRMC, Mudhoney, Neil Young, and Trail of Dead. the only one I haven't seen before is Trail of Dead.

Swans are a real treat. Just an incredible live band right now. Bring earplugs!
will do Kevin! I'm really looking forward to it, even though the records of theirs I've got, haven't blown me away. luckily I got earplugs for MBV so gonna take them just in case.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Purling Hiss coming to Dublin May 18 :D

I'd now like it if there were no more bands announced for a while, getting too busy.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

White Hills in Glasgow this coming Sunday... 8) can't wait!!!!!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69 wrote:White Hills in Glasgow this coming Sunday... 8) can't wait!!!!!
Got them in Dublin tomorrow night. Their gig last year was easily the best of 2012 for me.

Saturday i'm off on a mate's stag weekend, followed by exams on Monday. Bad, bad timing all round!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, they were superb last yeat in Glasgow too... as were The Cosmic Dead who supported them. Would have loved the same line up this year, but TCD are off on their travels i believe shortly.
Took my brother along last year and had his mind blown...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I see the Besnard Lakes are touring soon- worth seeing?
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

sunray wrote:
Broc wrote:
sunray wrote:
Yo La Tengo
Not tonight you won't anyway! Gig postponed due to adverse weather conditions, they couldn't get over on the ferry. According to ticketmaster there will be a rescheduling announcement on Monday.
Maybe Ladies & Gents at the National Concert Hall on August 10th then? :lol:

Ticketwanker are the same as usual, not a peep from them since the postponement. I was really looking forward to that gig. They're playing Latitude in the UK around the 18th of July, maybe they might come over to Ireland for the re-scheduled show? Unfortunately (regarding the gig) I'll be on hols with the family around then, well till the 23rd anyway. Here's hoping!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

NCH it is then Broc!

Five days after Spiritualized we're getting the return to Dublin of Swans :D Then a week later its Tame Impala.

Normally nothing happens here, gig-wise, in August.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

...Trail of Dead Apr 20th
Low Apr 27th (serious ticket price inflation compared to last tour...)
Stag & Dagger festival May 18th, not an insane line up so far, but Wolf People are playing so that's good enough for me :D

Also considering the Besnard Lakes gig...although I find their latest album a bit too laid back.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

considering going to see Public Image Ltd in June- never seen them before.

also I see Gnod are touring as a support act to Author & Punisher (me neither!)
the dates are:
9 May - The Roadhouse, Manchester
10 May - 13th Note, Glasgow
11 May - Wagon & Horses, Birmingham
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Updated listings:

K-X-P
Michael Rother with Camera
Thee Oh Sees
The Specials
Conflict ( Second ever Irish appearance, the last one in 1984 apparently! Starts at 4pm! with a load of bands playing, including Subhumans ).
Purling Hiss
No Means No
Sunday of Forbidden Fruit festival, purely to see Primal Scream.
The Breeders 'Last Splash' (Shame that the Fresh & Onlys are playing a different venue the same night).
Chelsea Light Moving (newest addition)
Body and Soul Festival
Spiritualized 'L&G'
Swans
Tame Impala

Still waiting to see if the Electric Picnic is happening or not...ho-hum...

Also still considering Neil Young. His gig is actually sandwiched in between The Breeders and Chelsea Light Moving, all 3 taking place the weekend of June 14-16!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've got White Hills tonight which I'm really looking forward to. Was meant to see Eternal Tapestry in Brighton last Thursday for the first night of their Euro tour, but it got cancelled as their flight out of the States got delayed. Gutted :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

4/20 - LSD and the Search for God/the Telescopes
4/23 - Spectrum... can't wait. have two tickets but I think I'm going to go by myself. really excited.
5/09 - Yo La Tengo. Taking my mom for mother's day (she likes 'em too, not a selfish present I swear :lol: )
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

updated activities

Low(Manchester) 25/4
(possibly) Lumerians (Sheffield) 30/4
Thee Oh Sees (Leeds) 7/5
Bob Mould (Manchester) 20/5
Besnard lakes (Leeds) 25/5
Neil Young (Birmingham) 11/6

Then later in the year Moon Duo (Manchester in August), Peter gabriel in manchester (oct)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:4/20 - LSD and the Search for God/the Telescopes
These guys are here tomorrow with The Night Beats. I would like to go but the bar they are playing is notorious for really late nights. Opening band may take the stage around 11ish. Gig over by 2am. For a mid-week gig that is hard, hard, hard. I would have once gone without hesitation and have done it many times. But, today I would have to really LOVE the band to see something that late on a "school night". Now...if it were a Friday or Saturday there's no question I would be there.

The Night Beats though are superb! If you haven't seen them (I'm assuming they will be at the LA gig too) be prepared to be blown away. Imagine the Count Five with even higher energy. Super fuzzed out, 60's inspired garage psych-punk. I saw them with the Wooden Shjips a couple summers ago and they were tremendous. Better, in fact, than the Shjips.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Twilight Sad tomorrow night, never seen them before in fact I`m out on a limb here really , its a sort of " home and away tie " type thing with my cousin who I dragged along to White Hills the other week , and now he`s taking me to see Twilight Sad in return , he gave me a couple of albums to frequent myself with and some off it sounds pretty good so I`m looking forward to it,
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

redcloud wrote:
Hofstadter wrote:4/20 - LSD and the Search for God/the Telescopes
These guys are here tomorrow with The Night Beats. I would like to go but the bar they are playing is notorious for really late nights. Opening band may take the stage around 11ish. Gig over by 2am. For a mid-week gig that is hard, hard, hard. I would have once gone without hesitation and have done it many times. But, today I would have to really LOVE the band to see something that late on a "school night". Now...if it were a Friday or Saturday there's no question I would be there.

The Night Beats though are superb! If you haven't seen them (I'm assuming they will be at the LA gig too) be prepared to be blown away. Imagine the Count Five with even higher energy. Super fuzzed out, 60's inspired garage psych-punk. I saw them with the Wooden Shjips a couple summers ago and they were tremendous. Better, in fact, than the Shjips.
Hey sorry for not responding to this - they actually weren't here with the Night Beats - I saw 'em play in December though opening for Ty Segall - totally rad, think I might have posted about it somewhere back in here - would definitely be sweet to see 'em in a slightly different mode I bet with wooden shjips!

The 4/20 lsd/sfg show was supposed to fuxa-lsd-telescopes, but I guess something came up and randall couldn't do the whole tour with 'em. Tennis system (who played at the mbv-ptp night in february which I posted about in the other gigs thread) opened here in la for lsd/the telescopes (which was just steven with lsd/sfg behind him) and it ended up being on Sunday night for a sort of double ptp - the aforementioned show upstairs at the echo, and downstairs at the echoplex were half string and beach fossils (did not partake in that though) - by the way, the guitarist from tennis system had the Sonic Boom Acid Fuzz Pedal, but it was in day glo yellow with a little bit of pink.... :wink: said Spacemen 3 and Dreamweapon of course, looked awesome, sounded awesome - I want to get one of those so badly...

I dropped a few rolls of film off at the developers, hopefully I can get some photos up here in the next few days.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the Telescopes are one band I would really love to see live. are they still doing a noisy set based around the Taste era?

Acid Mothers Temple are touring the UK in October, so I've popped that in the calendar. with that and the Mainliner dates (apparently to be announced before the end of the week) it's looking good.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Going to Unknown Mortal Orchestra tonight at King Tuts.

Really looking forward to it. Anyone seen them?
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes