What gigs have you got coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: What gigs have you got coming up?

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Additions to my list, now add Wolf People(Manchester) next Friday

also Six By seven, Mogwai and Spiritualized in July
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

this tax season my wife and i owe a lot in back taxes, so there's not much money to spare on live shows. fortunately nearly every neighborhood has a street fest over the summer- last year i saw the raveonettes at one for $5, for instance- so if there's anyone i mildly want to see at any of them i'll go. there are also some great free shows coming up downtown at pritzker pavilion. that's pretty much it for me.

not going to pitchfork this year. i might try and catch swans and low if they do an aftershow (again money willing). i will probably also try and catch beach house if they do a lollapalooza aftershow. since my wife has no interest in seeing any of those bands i'd be flying solo, which will be cheaper at least (it's always been up to me to pay for concerts we go to with a few exceptions). part of me is wondering if it isn't time i tried to sneak in to lolla- i've had several friends who've done it who say it's ridiculously easy.

i still need to buy my brmc tickets for the 17th.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Just two gigs in June at present: Ultrasound on 14/6 and Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band on 18/6, both in Glasgow. Cannae wait :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just been given a ticket for Norman Blake (TFC) and Joe Pernice (Pernice Bros.) at Mono in July. Two superb singer/songwriters and their acoustic guitars... should be a great evening.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Just added:
ATP: Deerhunter 21-23 June
Tame Impala at the Hammersmith Apollo 25 June

Crazy stuff! Anybody going to the Tame Impala show? There were only balcony seats no more GA but hopefully it is a place where it's not hard to sneak in? Sorry if ya think that is wrong/immoral :|. The "Hammersmith Apollo" is an AWESOME name for a venue. What's it like/is it cool? Seems pretty big. I hope it's not a sort of arena place, but oh well. If so, I guess it's just indicative of Tame Impala's success. I will say it was weird seeing one or two people who would wear a kanye west t shirt or something like that wearing a tame impala t shirt after coachella last weekend...
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

The Specials - Brixton Academy
The Who (Quadrophenia) - O2
Moon Duo - Boston Arms, not been here since a My Bloody Valentine gig in 88!
Tindersticks - The Barbican
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Hammersmith Apollo (and to those of us of a certain vintage - Hammersmith Odeon) is an old cinema I think so not a massive arean, maybe a capacity of about 3000. This is a venue steeped in history, the most famous gig here was probably when David Bowie broke up The Spiders from Mars. Been here hundreds of times, my second ever gig was here for The Cure in 84 and have seem memorable gigs by The Cramps, Spiritualized, Grinderman, Primal Scream and most recently My Bloody Valentine. I am pretty sure my dad saw Johnny Mathis here too!
Last edited by nickh on Sun May 12, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote:Hammersmith Apollo (and to those of us of a certain vintage - Hammersmith Odeon) is an old cinema I think so not a massive arean, maybe a capacity of about 3000. This is a venue steeped in history, the most famous gig here was probably when David Bowie broke up The Spiders from Mars. Been here hundreds of times, my second ever gig was here for The Cure in 84 and have seem memorable gigs by The Cramps, Spiritualized, Grinderman, Primal Screan and most recently My Bloody Valentine. I am pretty sure my dad saw Johnny Mathis here too!
My first ever gig was here - the Odeon it was back then. Devo supported by The Members in November 1978...
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

runcible wrote:
nickh wrote:Hammersmith Apollo (and to those of us of a certain vintage - Hammersmith Odeon) is an old cinema I think so not a massive arean, maybe a capacity of about 3000. This is a venue steeped in history, the most famous gig here was probably when David Bowie broke up The Spiders from Mars. Been here hundreds of times, my second ever gig was here for The Cure in 84 and have seem memorable gigs by The Cramps, Spiritualized, Grinderman, Primal Screan and most recently My Bloody Valentine. I am pretty sure my dad saw Johnny Mathis here too!
My first ever gig was here - the Odeon it was back then. Devo supported by The Members in November 1978...
Brilliant!

My third ever gig was at the Odeon and a week after The Cure and it was...Simple Minds. Simple Minds have made some good records but they didn't really do it for me that night. Jim Kerr performed the gig standing on a contraption that looked like a bit like a step-ladder, much the same as Julian Cope used to.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This isn't the Palais is it? The Apollo is the big one by the A4, right? If so, I too saw Spiritualized here. I'm sure I saw more gigs there too. But, I remember Spz in particular because it wasn't too long after Sept. 11th had happened (Oct. 2001?). Also, for a Spiritualized gig it seemed a bit subdued. I also remember the staff being quite uptight about people bringing their drinks into the seated area or people moving into the aisles to dance etc. Could have just been the tense times though. You'll have a lot of fun though, Hof.

I saw Oasis at the Palais (the small one) in '94/95 before they exploded. Also saw the Dandy Warhols there. That was a GREAT venue.

Coincidentally Hof, my son is really getting into the 'Lonerism' album. TI play Portland in a couple weeks but it is sold out. I found somebody selling tickets for $35 on Craigs though. Quite tempted to get them as his grades are pretty good.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Coming up for me the next fortnight:

Nightbeats, JC Satan, Wobbly Lamps - Wed 15th The Railway Hotel Pub, Southend On Sea - really looking forward to this one at my local pub. Wobbly Lamps are a great local band with a couple of EP's out. Can't believe we have the Nightbeats coming to town!! Polycraftsmen Vinyl DJ's playing loads of pysch/garage/rock n roll before during and after (local chaps again).

Allah Las - Mon 20th - Dingwalls Camden - say no more, I've got the album , love it, heard great things about them live.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Seeing Flaming Lips down here on Wednesday. Only seen them once before and was totally blown away but not sure what to expect this time around after reports of the new album being pretty hard work.

Then seeing The Stone Roses in Finsbury Park at the beginning of June, with the Black Angels in Brighton at the end of June.

Then nothing in the diary until the Loop ATP weekender at the end of November. Still, quite please with that little lot, especially considering its my first year as a new Dad. It's got to be quality over quantity for me these days :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Film night, not a gig, but as it's all about Mississippi recs and the Alan Lomax archive it may deserve a wee mention here. Details over on the art/film forum. "I don't feel at home in this world anymore" Glasgow, Glad Cafe, June 27th.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

still hoping to make Liverpool Psych Fest..

also considering going to see Nazoranai, an avant noise trio featuring Keiji Haino, Stephen O’Malley & Oren Ambarchi. as far as I can see they are playing London, Birmingham and Glasgow.
have recently been getting into a Haino/Ambarchi/Jim O Rourke live album recently which is a thrilling and intense listen, so this will be the nearest thing I can get to seeing that in the flesh!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Leonard Cohen in Manchester. Front Row of the centre block, right in front of the great man.

Low tour.

Loop ATP
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: also considering going to see Nazoranai, an avant noise trio featuring Keiji Haino, Stephen O’Malley & Oren Ambarchi. as far as I can see they are playing London, Birmingham and Glasgow.
have recently been getting into a Haino/Ambarchi/Jim O Rourke live album recently which is a thrilling and intense listen, so this will be the nearest thing I can get to seeing that in the flesh!
They were listed a few weeks ago for a Dublin date in July but now there seems to be no info on it anywhere. If it's on I will be going.
Recent additions to my list are:
The Black Angels
Mainliner ( Still waiting for tickets to go on sale )
Deerhunter

Also considering Toots & The Maytals in July and Fucked Up in August.

Interesting year in that I will have been to at least one gig every month as far as October so far. There's usually one or two months when nothing's going on but 2013 is proving to be very busy.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

This is happening in Leeds just after the Liverpool psych fest... That looks irresistible!
Attachments
Mono Festival.jpg
Mono Festival.jpg (228.84 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

:lol: I had just come on here to post about that Leeds gig when I saw Runcible's post. You're very lucky people over there, count your blessings... :mrgreen:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yup - I am very happy. Couldn't be at a better venue either!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

SONIC and PLANK! in Manchester! DOTS & LOOPS!
Design.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

This guy KNOWS what's goin' down
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Cosmic Dead this weekend... 8)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

ATP on friday!

Molly Nilsson at berghain (!!!) here in Berlin (!!! Will post about this in a few days) on Wednesday!
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

John Cale playing Music For A New Society in Aarhus - Denmark
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hofstadter wrote:ATP on friday!

Molly Nilsson at berghain (!!!) here in Berlin (!!! Will post about this in a few days) on Wednesday!
Hey Hofstadter, hope you enjoy ATP! would love a full report when you get back, especially on what the site itself is like. I've been to the Minehead site but not Camber Sands. details would be cool and whet the appetite for when some of the Outpatients descent on it in November :)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

angelsighs wrote:
Hofstadter wrote:ATP on friday!

Hey Hofstadter, hope you enjoy ATP! would love a full report when you get back, especially on what the site itself is like. I've been to the Minehead site but not Camber Sands. details would be cool and whet the appetite for when some of the Outpatients descent on it in November :)
absolsutely! i'll have to stay a little more sober to do so though it's been a bit of a wild week, typing withmy eyes closed and falling asleep right now haha. i like the drinking age beint only eighteen here hehe. realized i forgot to mention - tame impala next week at the odeon
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Vibravoid in Rotherham
Mono festival at the Brudenell - Carlton Melton, White Manna, Hookworms, Mugstar and more
Spiritualized in Holmfirth
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Alright, I got back from ATP yesterday morning, still haven't had time to do a write-up, which I will do in the original thread I started, but let me just say... that was one of the most fun weekends of my life. Sure Liverpool Psych Fest and APF always have incredibly amazing (and larger) line-ups, but I can't really imagine anything coming together quite the way ATP does...

Some quick highlights:
- Insanely wild dancing/moshing during my hometown heroes No Age's set
- Cryptograms being performed live, just the whole thing was beautiful, waving from the ambient/noise interludes totally washing you away to longass kraut jams (octet has always been my favorite deerhunter song, that was some cathartic dancing for me)
- Chaos descending upon the crowd/stage/security guards during "Nothing Ever Happened," cole from the black lips running out from backstage to fight a guard/defend some fans, bradford cox sort of symbolically throwing his wig at this guard who sort of pushed him around/called him a faggot when he had tried to intervee (ironic given deerhunter's first album-ish things title - for those unaware, it's untitled but colloquially known as 'turn it up, faggot,' which was an insult tossed at bradford a lot when they were first performing in athens ga), the band just absolutely plowing through the jam the whole time, everybody's dancing and freaking out and moshing, moses absolutely chugging away at the motor(ik) drums, feedback roaring, bradford sort of mounting the monitors and playing his guitar almost phallically, hitting his guitar strings producing more epic feedback as he stood over the guards and wild crowd... one of the coolest, most exciting, fun jams EVER. so happy to have been a part of that.
- Smoking a joint with sonic fucking boom before panda bear's set (or rather, after hanging out with him for a while, him asking me if i wanted to and i said of course, but then he realized he left the materials in the room and panda bear's set was about to start so there was no time, but who cares, it's the thought that counts, we all embellish a little sometimes :lol: i was wearing my sp3 shirt and he came up to me - he had remembered me from meeting at dublab/after his show in a la a month or two ago, so it wasn't totally out of the blue that we were hanging out, i felt dorky that i was wearing the shirt while talking to him though but he didn't mind, it was obviously rad seeing him there as i had no idea he would be there/he has over the past year or two become my biggest hero musically + jason of course)
- tim gane's set (as cavern of anti matter) - he was on 2 (2!!) korg ms-20s, plus a modular synth, an insanely nice organ (couldn't quite tell the make but it was clearly rad) and some other gear - it was all new stuff with joe dillworth drumming (got to hang out with him for a while the next day because it turned out this girl i had been talking to about berlin, where she was from and where i just was this past week, during their whole soundcheck - i got there really early cause i am a huge stereolab fan, second only to sp3/all related stuff - was joe's girlfriend - always good to strike up conversations with whomever ya might feel like doing so with is one big lesson i have learned as i have been traveling - sorry for this insanely long parenthetical) and some other guy on guitar who sounded exactly like he was michael rother - this essentially could have been a neu set, it was so fucking dancey. and THEN at the end of it bradford cox And Laetitia Sadier came out for one 'lab song (the latter wasn't a huge surprise because she came out during soundcheck - she barely even waved at tim....)... her set on sunday was actually not that exciting, nice, but i wanted to like it a lot more than i actually did, just sort of simple pop (not even stereolab-y pop) - i was talking to her on sunday when she was standing next to me waiting for another band to start, and she made a joke about going to the beach next to the holiday camp and swimming naked at midnight and said 'what, you don't have that tradition in america?' and i just totally froze and got super nervous and geeky and you can imagine what that might have been like...
- these highlights are turning out to be not-so-quick, i am racing to get them out before i head over to tame impala tonight
- by the way molly nilsson was absolutely rad at berghain, more on that later though...
- the black lips were just good ole classic raucous fun
- sunday: call it the lay down day, because that's what i did at three separate shows (and seemed to start a minitrend at each) and they were all a blast - blues control & laraaji, steve reich + the london sinfonietta, and william basinski - each unique, each blissing us all out/transporting everyone...
- also, sunday night - at black dice, who i'm not a huge fan of, but were essentially doing just a monster noisy-beat with maybe four marshall stacks behind them in a place that mind you only could hold about 1500-2000 (2nd stage couldn't fit everybody - thankfully almost all the sets on the stages never overlapped so you never had to miss more than 5-10 minutes of something), i danced next to laraaji (sorry for confusing syntax in that sentence). that was absurd. laraaji at black dice... he left though i don't think he was digging it too much... :lol:
- bradford and lockett doing a sit with chris frantz and tina weymouth that was just a 45 minute jam, sounded it like it was straight out of tago mago era can, wish i knew what it was, maybe it was a tom tom club thing? unfortunately i missed their set :(
- bradford cox's speech after they finished halcyon digest on sunday night, but before the encore - the whole weekend he had been super friendly to everyone (on and off stage - i even saw him go up to the skinhead security guard he got in a fight with and apologize for spitting at him, which seemed super mature of him, especially given the fact that the whole sort of punk vibe that happened on the 'microcastle' night started over something silly - the guards yanking fans down and over the rail next to the stage the whole weekend whenever they tried to crowd surf - eventually at the end of the night when they were playing 'circulation' the whole band with loopers running and of course moses still drumming sort of one by one jumped into the crowd and the everybody in the crowd was up surfing, finally just overwhelming the guards so they gave up - but yeah, cool that bradford realized even though the whole punk thing was fun, it was also rooted in something sort of silly, i.e. the guards just doing their job/trying to protect people, and even though it clearly made him anxious/angry on stage since they were sort of hurting people/prevented people from having fun/felt 'inauthentic' to him i bet, he still later on was able to recognize that jesus christ another really long parenthetical my bad), anyways that last speech, just made it feel like the two thousand or so people at the festival, including the artists and all of deerhunter were one big family, sharing bradford's and lockett's and frankie's and moses's and i'm sure tons of other people's best weekend of all of our lives...
- and then blasting off into a cathartic rendition of monomania to close the weekend off, i swear it felt like the floor was about to break as it was bouncing up and down with everybody jumping
- also, meeting some rad people at around 3 am just wandering around the 'chalets' having some 3am molly with 'em and listening to music/getting toasted as the sun rose...
- everybody was just so friendly the whole weekend.
- there are other bands that were fun, but that was the stuff that really rose above to another level

camber sands:
this place was fucking WEIRD. it felt like a desolate ex-prisoner of war camp which has had this bizarre dinsoaur/zebra cartoon posters put up all over it, a massive arcade installed, a cheesy pub, an abandoned go-kart track put in (looks like it's never been used), the worst cafeteria thing you can imagine (fortunately there was a vegan food truck right outside the main building with the two stages), weird playgrounds, creepy ads asking you to 'please, stay one more night!' it felt like it would have been the most depressing place to go for vacation if you were anywhere over the age of 10, and if you went when you were younger you would now look back and think what the hell was i thinking enjoying this place. i can't imagine what it's like when there's just like 40-50 people there in the whole complex. on the other hand, with 2000 or so people there to see good music and just have fun, the weirdness of it became cool and silly and fun to make fun of, and just provided this very whacky ambiance to the whole event. you could just wander around at night and people would be having mini-room parties at like 2 am, there was a cinema that was screening a pretty amazing series of films all selected by deerhunter (including eric isaacson of miss. rekkerds stuff and a q/a with him and bradford), as well as two tv stations in every room fully programmed by deerhunter - also, there is a market right there where you can get all your food/room supplies, the rooms have stoves/ovens/microwaves/toasters/fridges and a full set of dishes/cutlery, so you can cook whatever you want...

okay i have to leave now sorry for verbal diarrhea, i just wanted to type this all out at once before i forgot - sorry for horrible punctuation/absurdly long sentences/bad syntax/etc pretty much was just writing whatever came to my head and didn't proof read or revise at all, hope you can read it okay!

i will be sure to post photos in a few weeks once i get back home/have everything developed/then scan the choice ones.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spiritualized are playing here in chicago at lincoln hall on friday.

i am beyond bummed to know that i won't be able to go. it was announced a week after i'd bought train tickets to get out of town for a week and naturally it would cost me too much money to change my plans or simply cancel them. lincoln hall's my favourite venue too.

i figured it would sell out pretty quickly as it's smaller than the metro (which they've had no trouble selling out the last two times they've played there), but it appears that tickets are still available. i thought that would at least take the sting out of it a bit as it would be a bit final, but there the show is... still not sold out...

serves me right after my whole 'no more weekend night shows- no matter who, no matter where' rant. i really do need to get out of town for a bit, though...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Shallobi, bad times, I feel your pain.

My updated activities include the following;

Next week Spiritualized' @Holmfirth, then Mogwai in Manchester following night.
Six By Seven, either @ Manchester or Leeds
Arboretum' @Soup Kitchen, Manchester
possibly Sigur Ros @ Jodrell bank (20 mins from home so rude not to)
Jim White-Manchester Deaf Institute
Black Angels, Gorilla in Manchester
Liverpool Psych Fest, possibly followed by the all dayer at leeds
Deerhunter @ Liverpool East Village Arts Centre
White Hills Manchester Deaf Institute
Peter Gabriel @ MEN
Steve Mason @ Manchester Rittz
Low-The aNglican Theatre, Liverpool
ATP Curated by Loop
Yo La Tengo- Liverpool
Kurt Vile _ Manchester Academy 2

Off for a lie down
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Spiritualized : Lincoln Hall : This Friday! I guess I'll finally be able to weigh in on the new line-up. Can't wait to see it!
Belle & Sebastian / Low / Swans : Pitchfork Festival - July 20th
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

don`t get to so many shows these days, and apart from 3 in March/April this yr. its been quiet , but like waiting on a bus , they start piling up ,

Allah las,
BRMC,
Black Angels,
Carlton Melton,
Dead Meadow,
Temples,
QOTSA,
we`ll see how it goes ,got tickets for 3 of them ,and want to squeeze the other 4 in , on a tight bloody budget hear:)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

here's how my calendar's looking at the moment:-

Public Service Broadcasting (this is a maybe at the moment)
Mainliner
Liverpool Psych Fest (literally the day after Mainliner.. i'm gonna be exhausted!)
Acid Mothers Temple
Public Image Ltd (also a maybe right now.. loved their Glasto set but the ticket price is knocking on 30 quid...)
Loop ATP
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:here's how my calendar's looking at the moment:-

Mainliner
Liverpool Psych Fest (literally the day after Mainliner.. i'm gonna be exhausted!)
Acid Mothers Temple
Public Image Ltd (also a maybe right now.. loved their Glasto set but the ticket price is knocking on 30 quid...)
Loop ATP
I saw Acid Mothers Temple headline a gig with Carlton Melton second on the bill at Mello Mello in Liverpool around Halloween time last year. I was really unimpressed with AMT. Having said that CM were epic, and I fully admit a full-blown obsession with their music at present. Also, I was totally hammered/knackered by the time AMT made it on stage, so maybe I need to give them another try. It'll be hard though, they are one of the few bands I've walked out on after 4 or 5 tunes.....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:

Mainliner
Acid Mothers Temple
Loop ATP
I saw Acid Mothers Temple headline a gig with Carlton Melton second on the bill at Mello Mello in Liverpool around Halloween time last year. I was really unimpressed with AMT. Having said that CM were epic, and I fully admit a full-blown obsession with their music at present. Also, I was totally hammered/knackered by the time AMT made it on stage, so maybe I need to give them another try. It'll be hard though, they are one of the few bands I've walked out on after 4 or 5 tunes.....
I've never seem them live myself so will be my first time. heard varying things about them. apparently it's one big guitar blowout which I get could impress or bore depending on mood
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:
olan wrote:

Mainliner
Acid Mothers Temple
Loop ATP
I've never seem them live myself so will be my first time. heard varying things about them. apparently it's one big guitar blowout which I get could impress or bore depending on mood
Not a bad description really. Lots of volume and riffing. In the normal course of events this should have/could have worked but didn't. Carlton Melton had already done the lots of volume and some riffing this, but with style and originality.......
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Acid Mothers Temple are certainly worth catching live at least once. Especially if they're performing as AMT & The Cosmic Inferno. Seen them a number of times and always enjoyed them to varying degrees.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

The Orb 25th Anniversary — London

:)

M
Design.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Acid Mothers Temple
John Grant
Yo La Tengo
Low x4
Leonard Cohen x2
Moon Duo

can't really remember what's going on and coming up. Gonna have to miss fleetwood mac, clashes with a holiday. Woulda been fun!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

July turned out gigless but no let up now for the rest of the year:

AUGUST
10 Spiritualized
12 Fucked Up (a possible at this stage)
15 Swans
17 The Fall (probably hit this as I skipped their past two Dublin appearances)
20 Low
21 Tame Impala
30 - 1 Sept. The Electric Picnic festie. (Our geodesic is required again so will be on site the week before for a day and then back down again a couple of days before it starts to put up stage and decorations)

SEPTEMBER
14 Fuck Buttons (debating this as it's a late gig)
15 The Black Angels
21 Mainliner (Still waiting for tickets to be released)
29 Moon Duo (The only Liverpool Psych Fest band making it over by the looks of things. I see they have a drummer now, I imagine that will be an improvement)

OCTOBER
5 No Age or the comedian Andrew Lawrence, not decided on which yet.
11 Deerhunter
14 Parquet Courts ( going to check them out at Electric Picnic first before I commit to this )
27 Primal Scream

NOVEMBER
2 No Joy ( A possible, need to do more investigation )
16 Public Service Broadcasting ( As my other half is going to Sigur Ros the same night I'll probably head to this )

DECEMBER
5 Yo La Tengo (Rescheduled gig from March)
13 Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats

I'm sure there'll be more added over the coming months. :roll:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that's quite some list sunray.. wish half those bands were touring near me.
have you seen Yo La Tengo before? I've seen them twice and although there were certainly great moments in both sets, overall found them quite disappointing. but strangely, I would go and see them again if they passed through. don't know if I'm a glutton for punishment, or hoping to catch an 'on night'.
Fuck Buttons all I know of them is a bit of their Glastonbury set I caught on telly.. they do seem to have a bit of a buzz around them at the moment and the new album is apparently ATP Recordings first ever Top 40 placing
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that's quite some list sunray.. wish half those bands were touring near me.
have you seen Yo La Tengo before? I've seen them twice and although there were certainly great moments in both sets, overall found them quite disappointing. but strangely, I would go and see them again if they passed through. don't know if I'm a glutton for punishment, or hoping to catch an 'on night'.
Fuck Buttons all I know of them is a bit of their Glastonbury set I caught on telly.. they do seem to have a bit of a buzz around them at the moment and the new album is apparently ATP Recordings first ever Top 40 placing
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Saw Six by Seven at Leeds Brudenell last sunday, crowd of about 100, new(ish) line up, same intensity and a decent new album to promote. Crowd that made the effort were well rewarded by a strong set which was basically the entire new album and encore tunes of; So Close and Eat Junk, Become Junk. Former Placebo sticksman Steve Hewitt is with the band now and indeed funded the recording of the new album, not quite the crowd he is maybe used to playing in front of , but he did seem to be enjoying himself and the band were promising a larger tour in November.
Keep em peeled as I would urge anyone to give them a try if not already
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I would have gone to that but family stuff took over. I'd love to see Six by Seven live...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:that's quite some list sunray.. wish half those bands were touring near me.
Yeah, seen Yo La Tengo five or six times I think. Apart from the first time in the mid-90s, which I enjoyed, I kinda feel like you about them. This will probably be the last time I go see 'em unless it's mindblowing. Which isn't likely!

Fuck Buttons I saw twice around the time of the first album 'Street Horrsing', they were ok, nothing special. Missed them on the Tarot Sport tour as it was a late gig and I didn't fancy hanging around Dublin all night. Missed them again in June at the Body & Soul festival as I got stuck at the reggae stage, which tends to happen to me a lot at festivals :) I do feel that they would never have done as well if it wasn't for their moniker. :roll:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Psychic Ills & Carlton Melton are both playing Glasgow on the 28th Sept. but not together , can`t fathom that one out , surely they that most punters will want to see them both , gonna end up effecting attendances, poor organization by both , :(
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

fuck buttons and exit calm in september.
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

Nine Inch Nails, London Scala 20th August
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

some more upcoming gigs I've popped under 'maybe':-

Hawkwind
The Chameleons Vox
Wire
Mark Stewart
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

angelsighs wrote:some more upcoming gigs I've popped under 'maybe':-

Hawkwind
The Chameleons Vox
Wire
Mark Stewart
Holy sh*t, the Chameleons
just checked and see they are playing Whelans in Dublin this coming November. The gig I thought I would never see. Their second album Strange Times was the first slice of vinyl ever purchased and it was played through to the plate.
A new album on the way aswell

"It's been a long time Jack
Welcome back..."

angelsighs, you made someone a very happy man today :D thanks for posting your gig list
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Mogwai - Cambridge Junction, 28th November (ATP warm up) :D

Post by angelsighs »

Hedspace wrote:
angelsighs wrote:some more upcoming gigs I've popped under 'maybe':-

Hawkwind
The Chameleons Vox
Wire
Mark Stewart
Holy sh*t, the Chameleons
just checked and see they are playing Whelans in Dublin this coming November. The gig I thought I would never see. Their second album Strange Times was the first slice of vinyl ever purchased and it was played through to the plate.
A new album on the way aswell

"It's been a long time Jack
Welcome back..."

angelsighs, you made someone a very happy man today :D thanks for posting your gig list
ah, nice one! :) I do think this thread is useful for that actually, for seeing gigs other people are going to and it may be stuff that you didn't know about.
Chameleons Vox also toured last year (there is a thread on here somewhere), I didn't know what to expect but they were superb.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Quite happy with this little lot...almost makes up for the cancelled Neil Young & Crazy Horse gig I was going to :wink:

Moon Duo
Thurston Moore
Carlton Melton/White Manna
Psychic Ills
Dead Meadow
Jim Jones Review/Joe Gideon & The Shark
White Denim
Kurt Vile
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

angelsighs wrote:
Hedspace wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
Chameleons Vox also toured last year (there is a thread on here somewhere), I didn't know what to expect but they were superb.
this is good to hear.

(I mentioned Strange Times as their second album in my original post...I meant to say third of course :wink: )

nice acoustic version of moonage daydream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw5pAVih2XU
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Saw Leonard Cohen last night, the greatest show on earth (regardless of what KISS say)...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Primal Scream in October
Peter Hook in Dublin in November
Loop ATP

Not much, but very excited...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Just won 2 competitions for Leonard Cohen in Leeds tomorrow, so I guess I have 4 tickets for that!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Mark Stewart's upcoming UK tour is sounding more intriguing my the minute. as well as Keith Levene guesting on guitar, he will be collaborating with dub producer Dennis Bovell (who produced the first Pop Group album)
plus 23 Skidoo in support- not bad.

also spotted this triple-header tour from Esben and the Witch, Teeth of the Sea and Thought Forms.

http://thequietus.com/articles/13270-te ... forms-tour
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Spiritualized this coming Tuesday in NYC.
Then J. Spaceman the following night.
Widespread Panic in NYC in November.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

ticketmaster wrote:Hi, RO. just a reminder that your event is coming up! 
Spiritualized

Spiritualized
When:
Thursday, September 12, 2013  9:00pm
...in case I forgot...
:D
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

it's been a thankfully slow show-going year for me. i think i've really needed the break.
starting in mid-october i have a pretty amazing month-long run to look forward to that is not to be missed-

crystal stilts
thee oh sees (the option of catching two nights of them in a row- very tempting)
my bloody valentine
mazzy star

i'm a little worried about the mazzy star show- last time i was at the vic there were a lot of talkers and mazzy star doesn't put up with that crap. i hope that the audience that was at the last hope sandoval show i saw turns out- they were incredibly quiet. hopefully it's not on a weekend night and it's an early show. i've never seen mazzy star live.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

shalloboi wrote: mazzy star
Well, this is very good news, isn't it? I see they are opening the tour here in Portland on Nov. 3. Last time I saw MS was Nov. 4, 1996! How weird is that? Exactly 17 years (and one day) to the day!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

redcloud wrote:
Well, this is very good news, isn't it? I see they are opening the tour here in Portland on Nov. 3. Last time I saw MS was Nov. 4, 1996! How weird is that? Exactly 17 years (and one day) to the day!
i just realized that the tickets they're offering on their crowdsurge site tomorrow are presale tickets-

http://www.crowdsurge.com/MazzyStar/
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

shalloboi wrote:
redcloud wrote:
i just realized that the tickets they're offering on their crowdsurge site tomorrow are presale tickets-

has anyone used crowd surge before? some mixed reviews out there but thinking about jumping on the Detroit presale
I think I feel it coming on
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Black Angels on Tuesday in manchester followed by
in no order,
Liverpool Psych Fest, Mark lanegan& Duke Garwood, White Denim, Kurt Vile, White Hills, Cult of Dom Keller, Peter Gabriel, hopefully Asteroid*4 in London, Low, Yo La Tengo, Wooden Shjips, Thought Forms/Teeth of sea co headline thing and maybe some other gigs :wink: oh yeah ATP with Loop, cannot wait for that
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

purespace wrote:
shalloboi wrote:

has anyone used crowd surge before? some mixed reviews out there but thinking about jumping on the Detroit presale
i've never used it before. there was only a $4 service fee, though, which i appreciated since the tickets themselves were $35.

i haven't heard much about crowdsurge, either- what are some of the downsides to it?