What gigs have you got coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

flokie
Known user

Re: What gigs have you got coming up?

Post by flokie »

No tickets yet, but I'll probably head to see Besnard Lakes and White Hills later this month although that's two week nights in a row.

Really unsure about Luke Haines - I used to love the Auteurs and I've enjoyed some of his solo records, but I haven't really listened to his recent LPs and I'm just not as interested as I may have been only a few years ago - but he only comes to Scotland maybe once every 10 years these days. On the other hand, tickets are the most expensive I've seen for that tiny venue... Difficult decision this one.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Slowdive - this Wednesday. Curious how much new material will be aired since the album isn't officially out yet.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Somewhat slow on the gig front of late but have just booked SUN ARAW at the Jazz Café for 7th Sept http://thejazzcafelondon.com/event/wire ... s-sun-araw

Angel Olsen coming up later this month. Black Angels in September. Happy Mondays in November.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

The Lucid Dream @ The Shipping Forecast today
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BRMC are touring in October. and The Warlocks in July.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:BRMC are touring in October. and The Warlocks in July.
Not sure I am at all interested in The Warlocks any longer. Their last LP was hopeless and they are a dubious live proposition at time. On the other hand I will be going to see BRMC as they have thus far evaded we for some reason I can't fathom out.... :?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
angelsighs wrote:BRMC are touring in October. and The Warlocks in July.
Not sure I am at all interested in The Warlocks any longer. Their last LP was hopeless and they are a dubious live proposition at time. On the other hand I will be going to see BRMC as they have thus far evaded we for some reason I can't fathom out.... :?
I'm not actually a big fan of the Warlocks really. they are a pretty average psych band to me. still kinda want to tick them off the list though- never seen them

I've only seen BRMC twice myself, which is surprising as I've liked them right from the start. now they put on a really great live show. I might consider coming up North for that one actually (although the date near me is a Saturday night which makes it nice and easy)

tour dates have also been announced for Six Organs of Admittance (link below). not a huge spread of UK dates unfortunately!

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/six-or ... tour-dates

lots of good bands touring this year!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: tour dates have also been announced for Six Organs of Admittance (link below). not a huge spread of UK dates unfortunately!

Might go to the gig at the Komedia in Brighton. I've seen Durutti Column there at least twice and really liked the venue (even if it is just a swish comedy club). The alternative is the London date probably....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
angelsighs wrote: tour dates have also been announced for Six Organs of Admittance (link below). not a huge spread of UK dates unfortunately!

Might go to the gig at the Komedia in Brighton. I've seen Durutti Column there at least twice and really liked the venue (even if it is just a swish comedy club). The alternative is the London date probably....
very good idea. nice small venue, the Komedia. might try and make that myself. Six Organs is one of my favourite artists and don't really want to miss it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:BRMC are touring in October.
Those twats are charging €130 for a meet and greet at their Dublin gig.

Whatever happened to my rock'n'roll indeed.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:

ha! well to be fair, you don't just get a meet and greet, you get other stuff like 'commemorative tour laminate' (?) and 'crowd free merch shopping' (yeah, because buying merch with other people around can be absolute murder!!)

yeah, kind of disappointing. it's more the kind of thing that a lame band like Metallica would do.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote:

Quit moaning and get your wallet open sunray!!. TBF they have some pretty obsessive and dedicated fan`s whom I guess this aimed at, signed tour poster and laminate thingy? Probably not much change out of £40 there, £20 for your ticket so £50 to hang with the band an take in the sound check, wouldn`t pay it myself but its not too bad if your that way inclined is it?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

niamhm wrote:
sunray wrote:

Quit moaning and get your wallet open sunray!!. TBF they have some pretty obsessive and dedicated fan`s whom I guess this aimed at, signed tour poster and laminate thingy? Probably not much change out of £40 there, £20 for your ticket so £50 to hang with the band an take in the sound check, wouldn`t pay it myself but its not too bad if your that way inclined is it?

Especially when KISS will set you back an even 2K!
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I guess if people are willing to pay it then fair enough. Depends whether the meet and greet is actually hanging out or a quick handshake then they disappear back to the dressing room!

If Spiritualized did the same thing would you pay up?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:I guess if people are willing to pay it then fair enough. Depends whether the meet and greet is actually hanging out or a quick handshake then they disappear back to the dressing room!

If Spiritualized did the same thing would you pay up?
I dunno, I think the whole thing is pretty disgusting really. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth and seems really expoitative and nasty to me. Just fucking go and meet your fans for a bit if you actually give a shit. If not don't charge people for the 'privilege' of spending time in your company.

As for BRMC themselves, I haven't seen them in about fifteen years. I gave up after the second album and tour when I decided they were just too pedestrian for me. A steady increase in ticket prices over the intervening years made sure I wouldn't go see them again when they were in town.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I wouldn't pay that either. F*cking capitalists. The word, " pedestrian " has been used quite often recently ...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Bit harsh on BRMC although appreciate not everyone's cup of tea. live they are fearsome and continue to excite me (and my mate Gaz whom I think has attended every tour since the the 1st album with me ) The last album i will concede was a little dull, I think they probably sussed this out and didn't play too much of it on the tour.
I will agree this meet and greet stuff is a rip off and I don't agree with it, BRMC have always been a band that has been approachable and connected with fans for years, so I see this a very underhand cash in
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Anyhow forthcoming I have
Besnard Lakes (Liverpool), Kraftwerk (Manchester), Thee Oh sees (Manchester), Mark Lanegan (Manchester), Real estate (Manchester), Ride (Manchester)

A quiet and more selective gig going calender this year so far
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I'm a bit busy for gigs all of a sudden. I'ld like to go to Bresnard Lakes on Tuesday which I may or may not be able to go to.

I've got freebies for the John Cale thing doing the VU and Nico LP in Liverpool on Friday. I saw the VU on their reunion tour. The London date was a train wreck of epic proportions which put me off listening to them for years. I'm dreading this gig for many reasons but mostly becuase the guests are Fat White Family, Wild Beasts, Gruff Rhys, Clinic and The Kills. I won't speculate as to why these guests are described as special...

After that it is Kraftwerk in Dublin with most of the folks I grew up with and then Kraftwerk at the Philharmonic in Liverpool. Luckily, I'm on the dry at the moment or before and after the Dublin date could be very, very messy
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I can see why some might find BRMC pedestrian as they are definitely on the more commercial end of the spectrum but I think they do what they do really well and have a solid catalogue
The meet and greet thing is a bit strange as I've seen youtube vids of the band coming out after shows to mingle with fans and even play some acoustic tunes

As usual I'm sitting on the fence with it. I guess if people are willing to pay the money and they will really enjoy it.still a bit lame

Olan- yeah that's stretching the definition of special guests a little isn't it? Especially when you see the calibre he had for the equivalent show he did in the US
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Got some tickets to see GAS in Brighton and since it's all ages I'm going to give my lad his first taste of live electronica!

Gives me a dilemma, though, because I already had a pair of good seats for his show at the Barbican the following evening... do I sell/return to save the hassle of a Sunday night trip to London or just go see him twice given that his live shows are rare as hens' teeth???
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Bit harsh on BRMC although appreciate not everyone's cup of tea. live they are fearsome and continue to excite me (and my mate Gaz whom I think has attended every tour since the the 1st album with me ) The last album i will concede was a little dull, I think they probably sussed this out and didn't play too much of it on the tour.
I will agree this meet and greet stuff is a rip off and I don't agree with it, BRMC have always been a band that has been approachable and connected with fans for years, so I see this a very underhand cash in
You sure about them not playing the last album much? The times I saw them they were playing 7/8 songs from it, then they recorded the whole album live for a live cd/dvd, like you said I think they`re pretty fearsome live an will be there for sure.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

You are correct, the tour they played 7 or 8, it was 2 years after when they returned just to play a few shows (Albert hall Manchester), they played 2 or 3 (Let The Day begin and Rival being 2 of them)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: I've got freebies for the John Cale thing doing the VU and Nico LP in Liverpool on Friday. I saw the VU on their reunion tour. The London date was a train wreck of epic proportions which put me off listening to them for years. I'm dreading this gig for many reasons but mostly becuase the guests are Fat White Family, Wild Beasts, Gruff Rhys, Clinic and The Kills. I won't speculate as to why these guests are described as special...
Did you go? The other half was at it but i've not heard from her yet. Curious to know what Sister Ray sounded like.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Anyone going to see Julie Byrne in Glasgow tomorrow?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Did you go? The other half was at it but i've not heard from her yet. Curious to know what Sister Ray sounded like.
See the gigs you have been to thread for a response....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Slowdive with Ulrika Spacek as support on Friday night
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Tickets purchased for War On Drugs later this yr, just need a new album now.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Kraftwerk on Friday night in Dublin. :D
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Elvis Costello, Robyn Hitchcock, Low & Mono, and Nick Cave. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Hey Colossus tonight at New River Studios in North London for an intimate album launch gig. Really looking forward to some election night catharsis before the gloomily inevitable Tory blue day tomorrow. To soothe that possibility there's also a launch of a 9% IPA called Lose Your Head, between the band and Rocket Recordings. Could get messy for those partial to a strong swill.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Johnnyboy sounds awesome (my kind of beer as well)

My list of forthcoming events hasnt changed although I may be attending The Early Years/ Vanishing twin show at London Brewhouse early July, looks a good bill and the venue looks good also, so maybe worth a trip down
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Swervedriver are playing Raise AND Mezcal Head each in their entirety on their U.S. tour this year. Already got my ticket. Psyched. Should be a heavy gig.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Johnnyboy sounds awesome (my kind of beer as well)

My list of forthcoming events hasnt changed although I may be attending The Early Years/ Vanishing twin show at London Brewhouse early July, looks a good bill and the venue looks good also, so maybe worth a trip down
London Brewhouse is a great little venue, saw Weyes Blood there last year, very intimate with a nice outdoor courtyard space.
Hey Colossus were awesome, really small venue, nice and friendly, low ceiling, big noise. Not the kind of night to forget your earplugs, which is what I did, so ended up putting tissue in my ears whilst stood right next to the speakers. I took a swerve with the strong IPA, not really drunk booze for two years so thought it might knock me sideways a bit. Had a sip of someone elses, tasted alright, described by another as being "a bit brutal", hehe. I had a mug of tea. rock n roll huh.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Being in Glasgow, it's not often I have to travel within Scotland for gigs - but August is going to see me hit Edinburgh for Lift to Experience, and Stirling (!!!) for Chris Forsyth.
I'd been eagerly awaiting news on Chris Forsyth's dates in the UK so I'm very happy there's one I can make fairly easily. And a gig in Stirling will be another first for me.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'll be seeing Hey Colossus and Chris Forsyth (finally!) too at the Sea Change festival in August amongst many others.

coming up I'm still considering The Warlocks and BRMC. also thinking about Ryley Walker and Kikagaku Moyo who are both playing Birmingham.

and also seriously considering trying to make one of the GYBE/Bardo Pond dates

some other bands I like are touring but not in these parts, will prob have to give them a miss or I may run out of annual leave!!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Kikagaku Moyo tonight in Brighton. As some from the psych crowd on here will confirm, these guys are a must-see live. Really looking forward to it. Plus, Psychic Lemon, one of the bands I have put out on my record label, are supporting and its the first time I get to meet/see them :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Going to catch The Vacant Lots tonight.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote:Kikagaku Moyo tonight in Brighton. As some from the psych crowd on here will confirm, these guys are a must-see live. Really looking forward to it. Plus, Psychic Lemon, one of the bands I have put out on my record label, are supporting and its the first time I get to meet/see them :D 8)
how was this gig Shines? I'd agree that this band are a must see. just the sort of psych I like. softer and harder moments and quite intricate. I didn't know much about them before seeing them last year, but they were a clear highlight of the psych fest.
they are playing the Hare and Hounds in Birmingham next month (excellent venue), support from Earthling Society which I believe is another band that have passed under your wing?

you've never met Psychic Lemon? :D and there's me thinking you were an Alan McGee type who was constantly partying and being debauched with his bands!! 8)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Kikakagaku Moyo were superb last week Sighs. Like you say, they seem to nail both the hard and soft versions of modern psych so well. Packed venue (prob 200 odd) and everyone really digging it. You should definitely go to the Brum gig if you can. Psychic Lemon were awesome as well and was a pleasure to get to meet them in person. So humble and just really happy that I had put their debut album on vinyl. Talking of which, this Friday I'm going to see Kill West down here, the Argentine psych-garage band that were on the first record I put out. Looking forward to a few pints with them. :D 8)

PS: How's the turntable going? Have you had to take a trip to Ikea yet to get a storage unit? :wink: :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Glad to hear they were good! Yup I'm definitely gonna try and catch the Brum show. I wonder if they have a new album coming out soon too?

The turntable is going swimmingly! The vinyl collection is slowly growing. Still trying to snap up some of the more exclusive vinyl releases I've missed out on in recent years. As well as rebuying some of my all time faves of course

I was still musing on how to deal with the storage. But funnily enough I'm moving house soon and the new place has a spare room which has potential to become a man cave.. watch this space!
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

The Wedding Present on Friday and Spiritualized next month.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Primal Scream tonight. Has been a few years since I've seen them, and will be good to see them in an indoor venue, as most of their current shows are festival slots.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Splurged on a ticket to a rare local appearance by King Crimson in November.

Might be going to see Poptone (Daniel Ash / Kevin Haskins) on August 4th.

Saturday I'm on stand-by for Primus/Clutch.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

flokie wrote:Really unsure about Luke Haines - I used to love the Auteurs and I've enjoyed some of his solo records, but I haven't really listened to his recent LPs and I'm just not as interested as I may have been only a few years ago - but he only comes to Scotland maybe once every 10 years these days. On the other hand, tickets are the most expensive I've seen for that tiny venue... Difficult decision this one.
I would jump at the chance to see Haines live, but I'm guessing that will never happen since he doesn't come to the U.S. I love the Auteurs and I like his first few solo albums, but the last couple he has released have been pretty dire, IMO. The last two I bought are Rock N Roll Animals and New York In The 70's and I will probably never listen to them again. Looks like he has released four albums since then, 2 in 2015 and 2 in 2016. I don't know those.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Not sure if i'll get along to these just yet (bit to far away to plan for me) but Dinosaur Jr have announced a series of small intimate shows in December. I know of 2 shows in Glasgow and i think possibly 3 in Manchester. Whether these are acoustic shows or not remains to be seen but these will be special shows nonetheless!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Poptone show sounds interesting. Haven't seen those guys since the Bauhaus reunion tour. A Love and Rockets Tour is looong overdue.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

decided to go to the Bristol date for Bardo Pond/Godspeed. really nice city to visit, looking forward to it.

ticket has also been procured for Kikagaku Moyo & Earthling Society. they are playing the second room at the Hare & Hounds which is tiny so should be a cracker
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Hopefully Ryley Walker in Chester end of the month, before that Kikaguko Moyo in Salford (tiny venue)
Hopefully also Minami Deutch in Manchester (in fact will grab tickets today).
Later in the year Ride, BRMC, Ryan Adams, Dinosaur Jr and Slowdive, which is a non too shabby line up

Quality over quantity this year!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:decided to go to the Bristol date for Bardo Pond/Godspeed. really nice city to visit, looking forward to it.
Sighs, do you know if Bardo Pond are supporting GY!BE on all their UK tour dates? They're playing The Dome in Brighton but can't seem to find out who is supporting.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote:
angelsighs wrote:decided to go to the Bristol date for Bardo Pond/Godspeed. really nice city to visit, looking forward to it.
Sighs, do you know if Bardo Pond are supporting GY!BE on all their UK tour dates? They're playing The Dome in Brighton but can't seem to find out who is supporting.
There is always room for error but I am 90% sure they are supporting on all UK dates
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

According to Songkick Bardo Pond are only playing 3 UK shows, Transformer, Bristol and London, shame, felt a little frisson there I might have saw them in Glasgow, would have payed the £30 for them and GSYBE, but not GSYBE alone.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:According to Songkick Bardo Pond are only playing 3 UK shows, Transformer, Bristol and London, shame, felt a little frisson there I might have saw them in Glasgow, would have payed the £30 for them and GSYBE, but not GSYBE alone.
hey Gary it might be your lucky day. Songkick can't always be trusted- it's users that upload the content to there

seems like they are playing the Glasgow 02 ABC on 27th Oct

https://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/artist/1 ... peror.html

as an aside, GYBE announced their new album today- out on Sep 22
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Cheers Jon, quick check of the calendar has BRMC the night before, I`ll be at that, hmm?? Two gigs in two nights will need to see about that, can`t hang about either, pretty sure GSYBE was sold out last time they played here at the same venue, Friday night as well.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah I've had to give BRMC a miss for that reason too. Just too close to the Godspeed show.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Hopefully Ryley Walker in Chester end of the month, before that Kikaguko Moyo in Salford (tiny venue)
Hopefully also Minami Deutch in Manchester (in fact will grab tickets today).
Later in the year Ride, BRMC, Ryan Adams, Dinosaur Jr and Slowdive, which is a non too shabby line up

Quality over quantity this year!
I am also sympathetic to the quality over quantity ethos and your list does look nice and solid.

That said it looks like this year I may just break my record for most gigs in one year (yes I now have a spreadsheet!)

I was hoping to add Sleepy Sun to the list but seems like UK dates are not forthcoming. Would have considered coming up north for that one as well.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Spiritualized on Wednesday :D , DJ Shadow in September, JAMC middle of October, GSYBE+Bardo Pond in London then Nick Cave and Mogwai in Munich in the first week of November.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Autumn/Winter is looking good so far, after LPF it`s War On Drugs, Micheal Head & The Red Telephone Band & BRMC and maybe Mogwai/Ride in Dec, bit far away yet, QOTSA can go get f#cked after deciding to play The Usher Hall, great if you got a ticket, shame it only holds 2500, the latest single sound pretty naff anyway.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:QOTSA can go get f#cked after deciding to play The Usher Hall, great if you got a ticket, shame it only holds 2500, the latest single sound pretty naff anyway.
just to play devils advocate, surely it's a good thing that QOTSA are playing venues that size. I would like to see them but I ain't willing to go to an arena for that.
what they should do is more than one night I guess.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead are touring their two best albums (Madonna and Sources Tags & Codes), but not only is the nearest date to me Nottingham (too far) but bizarrely it's as support to My Vitriol. it should be the other way round!

for some reasons I'd got into my head that they were splitting up, so it's good that they are still active at least.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:
niamhm wrote:QOTSA can go get f#cked after deciding to play The Usher Hall, great if you got a ticket, shame it only holds 2500, the latest single sound pretty naff anyway.
just to play devils advocate, surely it's a good thing that QOTSA are playing venues that size. I would like to see them but I ain't willing to go to an arena for that.
what they should do is more than one night I guess.

You can only play the devils advocate so far, the tickets were sold out in literally minutes and predictably all over secondary sites 5 minutes later at £100, this the only one of the UK dates not in an arena I think, even 3 nights I doubt would have satisfied Scottish demand, listening to the second song from the upcoming album just now, not been blown away by either track so far tbh.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

^^^ I can sympathise. LCD Soundsystem are playing three nights in Dublin's Olympia (capacity about 1600). Sold out in seconds. I only know one person who managed to get a ticket, he tried for standing Friday and got upper tier seating on Wednesday, but he got a ticket. Fantastic venue for those who got tickets but they could've played one night in the 3 Arena and had everyone happy. Obviously not the same thrill though for band or fans.
There are no tickets coming up on secondary sites as they have some i.d. system in place to negate touts and profiteering.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: You can only play the devils advocate so far, the tickets were sold out in literally minutes and predictably all over secondary sites 5 minutes later at £100, this the only one of the UK dates not in an arena I think, even 3 nights I doubt would have satisfied Scottish demand, listening to the second song from the upcoming album just now, not been blown away by either track so far tbh.
it's a fair point, it's very frustrating. I do wish bands would play multiple nights at smaller venues instead, but I guess it's just a lot more work for them. you're right that their new stuff sounds pretty lame anyway, so possibly not much a loss at this point.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I and the family Clews are off to our third year at the pig and applestock festival. Lovely, tiny very cheap festival near Rugby with great music and all the money goes to charity. http://www.applestock.co.uk/

Then enjoying two nights of the Magnetic fields in Liverpool Philharmonic at the start of September
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

GospelbeacH tonite in Glasgow... beautiful Californian sunshine pop... hoping it helps brighten up Glasgow today which is looking a bit grim! Never caught Beechwood Sparks or The Tyde on tour so excited for this.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Manchester Psychfest this Saturday, can't wait for the return of The Telescopes and Warm Digits